PDA

View Full Version : Dang, just had one hell of a scare!

jimnyc
01-16-2020, 04:09 PM
And not a spider!!

But everyone fears something. Burglars, spiders, dogs, police, dying....

In my case, my computer just shut off out of nowhere!! OMG, nearly had a heart attack. But ok, I blow a breaker every now and again, no biggie. And I have an awful lot of things running in my room lately. So I went down and checked 2 rows of breakers and all good? I come upstairs and power it on, and nothing. Unplug it and wait, then back on, and nothing (I knew that wouldn't work...) I reluctantly and quickly reset my power strip, and nothing. So now I'm getting nervous. Sucker is kinda brand new, but at least I have a spare power supply. I am NOT in the mood to be doing that today though.

I went over everything again. Dummy me, I traced the power cable from my computer and I was resetting the wrong power strip.

So I follow to the one under my desk and reset and unplugged and plugged that one back on. Uh oh, no dice.

So now I moved the power cable off of there and onto the one I was originally resetting. Voila! Thank you, thank you! I definitely blew out the surge protector. All the plugs are dead. Then downstairs I find out that my device that controls the security lighting wasn't working. Unplugged and back in and that started working again. No doubt got nailed with a surge. Luckily my power strip took the brunt of it!!

I would sure hate to have driven to the store and spend another $1.5-2k to get back online!! :coffee:

Gunny
01-16-2020, 08:02 PM
And not a spider!!

But everyone fears something. Burglars, spiders, dogs, police, dying....

In my case, my computer just shut off out of nowhere!! OMG, nearly had a heart attack. But ok, I blow a breaker every now and again, no biggie. And I have an awful lot of things running in my room lately. So I went down and checked 2 rows of breakers and all good? I come upstairs and power it on, and nothing. Unplug it and wait, then back on, and nothing (I knew that wouldn't work...) I reluctantly and quickly reset my power strip, and nothing. So now I'm getting nervous. Sucker is kinda brand new, but at least I have a spare power supply. I am NOT in the mood to be doing that today though.

I went over everything again. Dummy me, I traced the power cable from my computer and I was resetting the wrong power strip.

So I follow to the one under my desk and reset and unplugged and plugged that one back on. Uh oh, no dice.

So now I moved the power cable off of there and onto the one I was originally resetting. Voila! Thank you, thank you! I definitely blew out the surge protector. All the plugs are dead. Then downstairs I find out that my device that controls the security lighting wasn't working. Unplugged and back in and that started working again. No doubt got nailed with a surge. Luckily my power strip took the brunt of it!!

I would sure hate to have driven to the store and spend another $1.5-2k to get back online!! :coffee:Ever consider not drawing all your power from the same circuit? Just a thought :)