PDA

View Full Version : I Broke Down

Kathianne
09-08-2007, 06:53 PM
With all the stuff going on the past 3 weeks, with trips to hospitals and what not, I finally broke down and got a cell phone. The most important thing for me was that it be "LOUD", seemed Samsung is the leader in that, so here's my new toy. I got it for $79:

http://reviews.cnet.com/smart-phones/samsung-blackjack/4505-6452_7-32143267.html

jimnyc
09-08-2007, 07:09 PM
Nice phone! Makes me miss my old blackberry because of the keyboard. I absolutely hate sending txt messages now when I have to use the number keys to continually cycle through to find the right letters!

Any idea what the storage capability is for music?

Kathianne
09-08-2007, 07:26 PM
Nice phone! Makes me miss my old blackberry because of the keyboard. I absolutely hate sending txt messages now when I have to use the number keys to continually cycle through to find the right letters!

Any idea what the storage capability is for music?

I know it has MP3, though you know me and music. ;) Here's some details:
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:zMu55tc5aDkJ:www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/%3Fdevice%3DSamsung%2BBlackJack%26q_sku%3Dsku96004 8+blackjack+cell+phone+music&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us&client=firefox-a

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/9789/samsungblackjacki607lattt4.gif

Overview
The Samsung BlackJack is a slim, stylish mobile entertainment and organizational powerhouse. It plays: with Cellular Video and AT&T Mobile Music - exclusive TV content and your digital tunes. And it works: with Microsoft® Windows Mobile 5, Mobile Office TM applications, personal and corporate email and attachment support. And it does it all at break-neck 3G speeds. Only from AT&T.
Included Features

* Microsoft® Windows Mobile 5.0 Edition(TM)
* AT&T Mobile Music, Cellular Video, and MEdia(TM) Net capable
* Windows Media Player® 10 Mobile
* Bluetooth® 2.0® wireless connectivity
* Simultaneous voice and data capabilities
* Quad-band world phone with dual-band UMTS/HSDPA
* Slim design PDA with full QWERTY keyboard
* 1.3 MP camera with 2x zoom and video
* Microsoft® Direct Push for real-time email delivery
* View mobile versions of Microsoft Word®, Excel® and PowerPoint®
* Email - Xpress Mail, Good Mobile Messaging, ActiveSync, and more
* Synchronize your desktop and calendar wirelessly
* Hands-free loudspeaker and microphone
* Instant messaging capabilities

Kathianne
09-08-2007, 07:27 PM
I actually thought of Blackberry, Amazon has a $.01 deal on the silver curve, for new customers. My issue though was 'sound.'

I did break down and get the 'data' package, so I've got internet even when power is off. ;)

glockmail
09-08-2007, 07:56 PM
With all the stuff going on the past 3 weeks, with trips to hospitals and what not, I finally broke down and got a cell phone. The most important thing for me was that it be "LOUD", seemed Samsung is the leader in that, so here's my new toy. I got it for $79:

http://reviews.cnet.com/smart-phones/samsung-blackjack/4505-6452_7-32143267.html

Gawd, woman. Its 2007 and your just now getting a cell phone? What's next, a car with a starter motor?

Kathianne
09-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Gawd, woman. Its 2007 and your just now getting a cell phone? What's next, a car with a starter motor?

I'm basically deaf, cell phones just haven't been an option. Recently they seem to be getting better. I have problems on any phone that doesn't allow for volume to be raised, even with hearing aids.

glockmail
09-08-2007, 08:13 PM
I'm basically deaf, cell phones just haven't been an option. Recently they seem to be getting better. I have problems on any phone that doesn't allow for volume to be raised, even with hearing aids.
My brother-in-law is 90% deaf and doesn't use one. Can't you rig it to a hearing aid?

Kathianne
09-08-2007, 08:55 PM
My brother-in-law is 90% deaf and doesn't use one. Can't you rig it to a hearing aid?

I've got to say, I cannot hear on this as well as on my 'special phone' of course, which is 'hard wired,' with mega volume controls and boosters. I have bass control and external noise mufflers on it. I never have to say, "What was that?" even without hearing aids.

I have lost a bit more of the hearing, but last time I was at audiologist, about 2 years ago, it was a 78% loss, bi-lateral. With this Samsung cell I can hear, even without my hearing aids, but probably not in a car with windows down. With the speakerphone, it's louder. I highly doubt someone with 90% loss could do so, though. But it would be worth a check.

Mr. P
09-08-2007, 09:02 PM

I'll bet $1000 cyber bucks we could come up with something.

Kathianne
09-08-2007, 09:22 PM
I'll bet $1000 cyber bucks we could come up with something.

If you do, let me know. I've yet to find a cell phone that won't create feedback with my digital hearing aids. Someone with a 90% loss though, may well have analogue and that could be different.

glockmail
09-09-2007, 12:40 PM
I've got to say, I cannot hear on this as well as on my 'special phone' of course, which is 'hard wired,' with mega volume controls and boosters. I have bass control and external noise mufflers on it. I never have to say, "What was that?" even without hearing aids.

I have lost a bit more of the hearing, but last time I was at audiologist, about 2 years ago, it was a 68% loss, bi-lateral. With this Samsung cell I can hear, even without my hearing aids, but probably not in a car with windows down. With the speakerphone, it's louder. I highly doubt someone with 90% loss could do so, though. But it would be worth a check. I think he's more than that, been deaf since a kid. He seems to like living in his own world, no interest in a cell phone.

Kathianne
09-09-2007, 03:08 PM
I think he's more than that, been deaf since a kid. He seems to like living in his own world, no interest in a cell phone.

I know how he feels. I've had severe hearing loss since probably birth. It's nerve based, not from noise, just genetics. My mother's was worse, but that probably made her a good mother for me, she spoke very distinctly. I never suffered from the problem of oral communication, though certain words with double consonants, were 'off.' Button, I heard and pronounced, 'buddin'. A friend in college asked why I was saying it like 'that.' Then she started to understand and helped me, 'but' 'ton'. Once i realized the sound, no problem.

Hearing loss sucks, even when I have my hair cut so that people can see the hearing aids, they don't seem to understand to speak a bit louder and 'to' me. Probably having watched my mom withdraw from friends and conversations, it's made me a bit more aggressive; I will remind people that I can't understand multiple people speaking at once, mumbling, or 'quiet voices.' I simply could not teach a roomful of kids under the age of 11.

People that can't hear are not stupid, those that lose patience rather than making the adjustments they would for someone who was blind, missing an arm or leg, are.

glockmail
09-09-2007, 03:28 PM
I know how he feels. I've had severe hearing loss since probably birth. It's nerve based, not from noise, just genetics. My mother's was worse, but that probably made her a good mother for me, she spoke very distinctly. I never suffered from the problem of oral communication, though certain words with double consonants, were 'off.' Button, I heard and pronounced, 'buddin'. A friend in college asked why I was saying it like 'that.' Then she started to understand and helped me, 'but' 'ton'. Once i realized the sound, no problem.

Hearing loss sucks, even when I have my hair cut so that people can see the hearing aids, they don't seem to understand to speak a bit louder and 'to' me. Probably having watched my mom withdraw from friends and conversations, it's made me a bit more aggressive; I will remind people that I can't understand multiple people speaking at once, mumbling, or 'quiet voices.' I simply could not teach a roomful of kids under the age of 11.

People that can't hear are not stupid, those that lose patience rather than making the adjustments they would for someone who was blind, missing an arm or leg, are.
No doubt its a difficult situation for most, including me, to fully understand. But my brother in law doesn't even email. He pretty much tuned out. We used to be good friends but we haven't communicated in over 20 years, since I moved. And I talk to my sister about twice/ month.

Kathianne
09-09-2007, 03:39 PM
No doubt its a difficult situation for most, including me, to fully understand. But my brother in law doesn't even email. He pretty much tuned out. We used to be good friends but we haven't communicated in over 20 years, since I moved. And I talk to my sister about twice/ month.

Oh I well understand the frustration of trying to 'get through.' I taught myself computer use, as it's not something I think I could readily pick up in a class. When I have to look away from a teacher, such as when there's a video or if I had to use a keyboard/monitor, I couldn't 'hear'. It takes my entire concentration to do so. When watching a movie I either need it 'captioned' or so loud no one could watch with me, I blow speakers with regularity, (I heard that collective sigh of being glad you aren't my neighbor!) :laugh2:

There is a device called the 'Pocket Talker'. When my mom got to the 90% level of loss, she could hear conversations with it. The speaker though, must be slow and enunciated clearly. Only one speaker at a time:

http://www.williamssound.com/productdetail.aspx?product_id=92

One of my hearing aids is close to $3k. This gem is less than $200, but would NOT work in a classroom, is bulkier than I need. It may be something though that would work for your bil.

glockmail
09-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Oh I well understand the frustration of trying to 'get through.' I taught myself computer use, as it's not something I think I could readily pick up in a class. When I have to look away from a teacher, such as when there's a video or if I had to use a keyboard/monitor, I couldn't 'hear'. It takes my entire concentration to do so. When watching a movie I either need it 'captioned' or so loud no one could watch with me, I blow speakers with regularity, (I heard that collective sigh of being glad you aren't my neighbor!) :laugh2:

There is a device called the 'Pocket Talker'. When my mom got to the 90% level of loss, she could hear conversations with it. The speaker though, must be slow and enunciated clearly. Only one speaker at a time:

http://www.williamssound.com/productdetail.aspx?product_id=92

One of my hearing aids is close to $3k. This gem is less than $200, but would NOT work in a classroom, is bulkier than I need. It may be something though that would work for your bil. My sister is a well educated nurse and has tried all such things to help the guy. He's turned into a couch potato and that's basically his life.

Kathianne
09-09-2007, 03:57 PM
My sister is a well educated nurse and has tried all such things to help the guy. He's turned into a couch potato and that's basically his life.

Well like they say, "You can lead a horse to water..." I feel sorry for him. I spend most of my time with my hearing aids in, though it's nice to take them out for 'quiet.' LOL! (Compared to others, my regular world is likely quiet.)

glockmail
09-09-2007, 04:02 PM
Well like they say, "You can lead a horse to water..." I feel sorry for him. I spend most of my time with my hearing aids in, though it's nice to take them out for 'quiet.' LOL! (Compared to others, my regular world is likely quiet.) My grandfather gradually lost his hearing down to about 50%. He was always tuning out, especially aroung my grandmother!