PDA

View Full Version : Yes! Led Zeppelin!

jimnyc
09-08-2007, 07:15 PM
Reports today say that the founding members are getting back together. Robert Plant, Jimmy Page & John Paul Jones - and John Bonham's son will be on drums. I only read about a possible gig in London, but it should be awesome to see them perform once again!

manu1959
09-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Reports today say that the founding members are getting back together. Robert Plant, Jimmy Page & John Paul Jones - and John Bonham's son will be on drums. I only read about a possible gig in London, but it should be awesome to see them perform once again!

they will be doing a world tour if the one off gig goes well and they don't kill each other......i hope they practice....the police sucked...

http://www.gigwise.com/news.asp?contentid=33658

jimnyc
09-08-2007, 07:22 PM
That would be awesome! I never had the opportunity to see them live. If they hit the NY area I'll be there in a heartbeat!

Jason Bonham is great. And I can't imagine JPJ or Jimmy Page loss their ability to play. I guess it all comes down to whether or not Plant can still sing, and I don't think they'd give it a shot if they didn't think he could do it.

I doubt they need the money. They could all probably live off of the airplay of Stairway to Heaven alone.

manu1959
09-08-2007, 07:24 PM
That would be awesome! I never had the opportunity to see them live. If they hit the NY area I'll be there in a heartbeat!

Jason Bonham is great. And I can't imagine JPJ or Jimmy Page loss their ability to play. I guess it all comes down to whether or not Plant can still sing, and I don't think they'd give it a shot if they didn't think he could do it.

I doubt they need the money. They could all probably live off of the airplay of Stairway to Heaven alone.

just bought all of their remastered LPs for my new HI FI.....i sure hope the come to the left coast...i hate to fly

Said1
09-08-2007, 07:29 PM

I saw Page/Plant in Toronto around '94 or '95, excellent show! I hope they come to Canada for this tour.

dan
09-08-2007, 07:33 PM
I'd read that this was just a rumor, glad it looks like it's going to happen!

Wonder if Jason's going to bang out a 20-minute "Moby Dick" to make the old man proud!

EDIT: OK, as soon as I posted this, I reread the second line above and realized I could've worded that in a less-gay manner. Oh, well.

jimnyc
09-08-2007, 07:49 PM
I'd read that this was just a rumor, glad it looks like it's going to happen!

Wonder if Jason's going to bang out a 20-minute "Moby Dick" to make the old man proud!

EDIT: OK, as soon as I posted this, I reread the second line above and realized I could've worded that in a less-gay manner. Oh, well.

Quite alright, nothing gay at all when discussing perhaps the most infamous drum solo of all time!

dan
09-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Better get your passport ready....

For every Led Zep rumour we've posted, there's been twenty we haven't. But today, finally and officially, the reams of dreams of a Page/Plant/Jones/Bonham reformation have come true: The original and surviving Led men will put Jason behind the kit for the first (and only other) time since an Atlantic jam in '88 to play just one show, at London's O2 arena on 11/26, as part of a tribute to Atlantic records founder Ahmet Ertegun. Zeppelin was part of the Atlantic family their entire careers.

There are 22,000 seats in O2, and tickets to the show can be acquired only "by ballot" from AhmetTribute.com. They're going for £125 (around $250). That is, before the touts get their greasy paws on 'em. The proceeds to go Ahmet's Education Fund, paying for college scholarships. And hey, Paolo Nutini's playing too! So, there's that.
from stereogum.com

They don't mention it there, but Pete Townshend is also opening for them. THey're saying it's a once-off thing, but something tells me they'll probably be playing more shows, especially once that $250/ticket cash starts rolling in!

gabosaurus
09-14-2007, 01:11 PM
Nope, sorry. It's going to be a one-off thing, sort of like the Live 8 thing. Obviously there will be an album and DVD release.

As long as they are better than they were in 1977. My dad saw them in Dallas and said they were horrible -- 30 min. drum solo, 30 min. guitar solo, 25 min. keyboard solo. Plant vamping a lot of the lyrics.
Play the damn songs, dudes.

jimnyc
09-14-2007, 04:04 PM
Nope, sorry. It's going to be a one-off thing, sort of like the Live 8 thing.

Sadly, this is what I read too. Hopefully someone will record it and pop it on Youtube by the end of the night though!

manu1959
09-14-2007, 04:05 PM
Sadly, this is what I read too. Hopefully someone will record it and pop it on Youtube by the end of the night though!

if it goes well and they all get along....you never know.....

Gunny
09-14-2007, 04:14 PM
Nope, sorry. It's going to be a one-off thing, sort of like the Live 8 thing. Obviously there will be an album and DVD release.

As long as they are better than they were in 1977. My dad saw them in Dallas and said they were horrible -- 30 min. drum solo, 30 min. guitar solo, 25 min. keyboard solo. Plant vamping a lot of the lyrics.
Play the damn songs, dudes.

I saw them in 74 and they were AWESOME. As far as the solo's go, it's common knowledge if you follow LZ they NEVER played the same song the same way twice.

dan
09-14-2007, 04:35 PM
I saw them in 74 and they were AWESOME. As far as the solo's go, it's common knowledge if you follow LZ they NEVER played the same song the same way twice.

I was going to say, I would feel very ripped off if I went to a Led Zep concert and just got an exact remake of the album versions. It'd be odd, too, considering Jimmy Page improvised most of his solos.

I think I read somewhere that the version of "Moby Dick" on one of their newer live CDs (meaning it came out recently but it was recorded back in the day) is the longest drum solo ever put out on a record, something like 22 minutes!

Gunny
09-14-2007, 05:03 PM
I was going to say, I would feel very ripped off if I went to a Led Zep concert and just got an exact remake of the album versions. It'd be odd, too, considering Jimmy Page improvised most of his solos.

I think I read somewhere that the version of "Moby Dick" on one of their newer live CDs (meaning it came out recently but it was recorded back in the day) is the longest drum solo ever put out on a record, something like 22 minutes!

I have the LZ BBC Sessions CD ... and they play a lot of their bigger hits multiple times and not one sounds the same.