PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Dead

hjmick
01-26-2020, 03:11 PM
Helicopter crash.

Kobe Bryant is killed in helicopter crash in Calabasas (https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-01-26/aircraft-slams-into-hillside-explodes-in-flames-near-calabasas)

NightTrain
01-26-2020, 03:19 PM
Yeah, saw that. Flying in foggy weather... I've had a few close shaves doing that in helicopters myself a few times.

That Sikorsky is a pretty reliable helo, I suspect pilot error - but even a bird strike can bring it down.

Kathianne
01-26-2020, 03:43 PM
He was a pretty decent person from what I’ve heard. RIP

hjmick
01-26-2020, 03:46 PM
He was a pretty decent person from what I’ve heard. RIP

Well, except for that whole rape thing, sure...

Kathianne
01-26-2020, 03:48 PM
Well, except for that whole rape thing, sure...
That’s what I get for not really following sports and listening to others.

hjmick
01-26-2020, 03:53 PM
First, I want to apologize directly to the young woman involved in this incident. I want to apologize to her for my behavior that night and for the consequences she has suffered in the past year. Although this year has been incredibly difficult for me personally, I can only imagine the pain she has had to endure. I also want to apologize to her parents and family members, and to my family and friends and supporters, and to the citizens of Eagle, Colo.I also want to make it clear that I do not question the motives of this young woman. No money has been paid to this woman. She has agreed that this statement will not be used against me in the civil case. Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.I issue this statement today fully aware that while one part of this case ends today, another remains. I understand that the civil case against me will go forward. That part of this case will be decided by and between the parties directly involved in the incident and will no longer be a financial or emotional drain on the citizens of the state of Colorado.

Kobe Bryant’s Disturbing Rape Case: The DNA Evidence, the Accuser’s Story, and the Half-Confession (https://www.thedailybeast.com/kobe-bryants-disturbing-rape-case-the-dna-evidence-the-accusers-story-and-the-half-confession)

I feel for his wife and daughters, but I'd feel worse if I wasn't convinced he had been an unrepentant rapist who bought his way out of trouble.

hjmick
01-26-2020, 03:55 PM
That’s what I get for not really following sports and listening to others.

Eh, salright... I lived in SoCal at the time so it sticks with me...

jimnyc
01-26-2020, 04:21 PM
Wow, just read this and thought I would post about it, and you guys been here for an hour doing so! :)

Dang, him and his daughter both. Sad day for the sports world. Speaking basketball, he was one of the best ever. I was never a fan of the Lakers but I respected his game. Didn't respect the few off court troubles of his.

What a sad way to go out and he was so dang young still. 41 years old is 10 years younger than me!

--

Lakers legend Kobe Bryant, 41, and his 13-year-old daughter are killed in Calabasas helicopter crash along with three others onboard

Kobe Bryant, his daughter Gianna and three others were killed when his private helicopter went down in Calabasas, California, on Sunday morning
The 41-year-old basketball star's death was confirmed by TMZ
The LA County Sheriff's Department responded to reports of the crash near Las Virgenes Rd and Willow Glen St at around 10am after a fire broke out
The crash apparently occurred behind the home of Kourtney Kardashian
Bryant and Gianna are survived by his wife Vanessa and their three other daughters Natalia, Bianca and newborn Capri
The Philadelphia native spent his entire 20-year career with the Lakers, winning five NBA championships and 18 All-Star titles before he retired in 2016

Kobe and Gianna are survived by his wife Vanessa and their three other daughters - Natalia, Bianca and Capri, who was born last summer.

News of the NBA legend's death sent shockwaves in the sports world and beyond as dozens of celebrities paid tribute on social media.

Bryant was widely regarded as one of the greatest basketball players of all time.

The Philadelphia native spent his entire 20-year career with the Lakers, winning five NBA championships and 18 All-Star titles before he retired in 2016.

He was the first guard in NBA history to play at least 20 seasons and was the first and only player in Lakers history to have both of his jersey numbers - 8 and 24 - retired.

Bryant has been known to use a Sikorsky S-76 helicopter to travel for years - often flying from Newport Beach to the Staples Center for Lakers games.

Kobe Bryant and his 13-year-old daughter Gianna were killed in a helicopter crash in Calabasas, California, on Sunday morning.

The 41-year-old former Los Angeles Lakers basketball star's death was first confirmed by TMZ.

The outlet reported that Bryant was traveling with four other people - including daughter 'Gi-Gi' - in his private helicopter when it crashed, killing everyone on board.

Officials with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department responded to reports of the crash near Las Virgenes Rd and Willow Glen St in Calabasas at around 10am after a fire broke out.

The cause of the crash is under investigation. Witnesses reported hearing the helicopter's engine sputtering before it went down near the home of Kourtney Kardashian.

Sources told TMZ the chopper was on its way to Bryant's Mamba Academy in Thousand Oaks for basketball practice.

ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported that another player and parent were also on the helicopter.

Rest - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7931909/Kobe-Bryant-dies-Calabasas-helicopter-crash.html

hjmick
01-26-2020, 04:22 PM
Alright, feeling bad now... there are reports his 13 year old daughter, Gianna, was one of the passengers.

That sucks. The whole thing sucks.

jimnyc
01-26-2020, 04:29 PM
Alright, feeling bad now... there are reports his 13 year old daughter, Gianna, was one of the passengers.

That sucks. The whole thing sucks.

Yeah, that sucks that someone so young was involved. And the others will be completely overshadowed since it's Kobe. But I'm sure their families care just as much.

STTAB
01-27-2020, 10:13 AM
Too bad Adam Schiff doesn't own a helicopter

Gunny
01-27-2020, 01:03 PM
I'm from San Antonio. The only good Laker has a broken leg. Dying is going a bit far. Sorry about his family and their loss. And everyone else except ragheads' and pedophiles' families that lost loved ones yesterday whose names weren't Kobe so we'll never hear about.

Abbey Marie
01-27-2020, 01:51 PM
I'm from San Antonio. The only good Laker has a broken leg. Dying is going a bit far. Sorry about his family and their loss. And everyone else except ragheads' and pedophiles' families that lost loved ones yesterday whose names weren't Kobe so we'll never hear about.

Yeah, wasn’t there just a crash that killed our military?

Gunny
01-27-2020, 02:07 PM
Yeah, wasn’t there just a crash that killed our military?Even if we were not currently at war, there are training accidents every day. Somebody(ies) gets killed, crippled, maimed. Police officers and firefighters die every day. People are killed by drunk drivers, idiots driving on their cells. I could go on all day.

Kobe Bryant's loss is no more nor less to me than anyone else's. Now, if he'd died beating ragheads off the embassy wall with his e-tool (shovel), I might be impressed. That involves a selfless act of heroism. Flying in your private helo because you're too good to drive like the rest of the unnamed? Not so much.

STTAB
01-27-2020, 04:21 PM
Stuff like this is EXACTLY why I don't have a private helicopter.

STTAB
01-28-2020, 02:43 PM

jimnyc
01-28-2020, 03:07 PM
Oh man, that's brutal. :laugh:

I remember back in the day, Opie and Anthony would talk about how much time is necessary between a tragedy and making fun of it or making light of it. A lot of people use humor as a way to grieve, and probably more so when it's someone they really don't know like this.

But I think O&A might cringe with the too early on this one! :coffee:

STTAB
01-28-2020, 03:12 PM
Oh man, that's brutal. :laugh:

I remember back in the day, Opie and Anthony would talk about how much time is necessary between a tragedy and making fun of it or making light of it. A lot of people use humor as a way to grieve, and probably more so when it's someone they really don't know like this.

But I think O&A might cringe with the too early on this one! :coffee:

I almost asked "too soon?"

but then I thought "meh, they already think I'm a dick"