PDA

View Full Version : Can any religious people explain this?

JackDaniels
09-08-2007, 11:28 PM
Here are some notes taken from a documentary.

I'm just looking for a response from a Christian.

The ancient Egyptians (3000 BC) worshipped the Sun – a God they called Horus. Some of the attributes of Horus include: born on December 25th, born of a virgin, found by a star in the east, adorned by three kings, started teaching at 12, baptized/ministry at age 30, had 12 disciples, performed miracles such as healing the sick and walking on water, known at the “the light”, “the lamb of God” and many other names. Horus eventually would be crucified, remained dead for three days, and was reserructed.

These myths permeated into many other cultures, and the details about Horus were often attributed to them:
Attis, a Greek God from 1200 BC
Krishna, an Indian God from 900 BC
Dionysus, a Greek God from 500 BC
Mithra, a Persian God from 1200 BC
And many, many, many more share these same characteristics.

The story is entirely astronomical. On December 24th, the brightest star in the east sky, Sirius, lines up with the three stars in Orion’s belt, which point to the sun, worshipped as the God, being “born” on December 25th.

Therefore, the “three Kings” follow the “brightest star” to the birth of the “son of God”

Mary, the mother of Jesus, can be viewed as the constellation Virgo the Virgin. The ancient symbol for virgin is an altered M, which is why Mary, along with other virgin mothers such as Adonis’s mother Myrra and Buddha’s mother Maya.

Virgo is also known as the House of Bread, whose symbol is a virgin holding a piece of wheat. Bethlehem literally translates to “house of bread”

Also, as the winter progresses in early December, the sun appears to continue to move south in the sky, getting smaller and smaller. On December 22nd, 23rd, and 24th, the sun stops moving, and stays in the same point in the sky, just near the “southern cross”. These three days signify death, on the cross. On December 25th, the sun makes it first move back north, or appearing “up”, signifying “birth” This is a possible reason for why each religious myth shares these characteristics. Furthermore, this is not celebrated until the spring, at the spring equinox, because this is the point at which the days start being longer than the night – when “good overcomes evil”

There are over 200 cited claims throughout history of a story told about a great flood which will destroy the nonbelievers. One example includes the Epic of Gilgamesh, which is the story a great flood, in which a man is told by God to take two of each animal onto an ark to start over.

The story of Moses is also plagiarized from the story of Sargon thousands of years earlier. The story is nearly identical, with a mother placing the hero as a baby in a basket, adrift in a river to avoid infanticide, who is later found by royalty and raised as a prince.

Moses status as lawgiver is also a folktale. There are numerous citations of a lawgiver being presented divine law on a mountain, including Manou of India, Minos of Crete, and Mises of Egypt. Even the names were relatively the same.

I'd like a rebuttal from a Christian to consider when weighing in on the above selection.

musicman
09-09-2007, 02:42 AM
Yeah, but I just saw this other t.v. show where they said everything you posted is bullshit. They said so, naming YOU, specifically.

JohnDoe
09-09-2007, 05:32 AM
Good morning JackDaniels,

Provide us with some reputable links to this History, and I will try to answer your questions after I read them.

jd

PostmodernProphet
09-09-2007, 06:37 AM
The ancient Egyptians (3000 BC) worshipped the Sun – a God they called Horus. Some of the attributes of Horus include: born on December 25th, born of a virgin, found by a star in the east, adorned by three kings, started teaching at 12, baptized/ministry at age 30, had 12 disciples, performed miracles such as healing the sick and walking on water, known at the “the light”, “the lamb of God” and many other names. Horus eventually would be crucified, remained dead for three days, and was reserructed.

the most logical response is, there is no truth to these claims about Horus.

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/horus.htm

At length came the unlucky day when Set succeeded in killing Osiris during the war which the "good god" was waging against him and his fiends. Details of the engagement are wanting, but the Pyramid Texts state that the body of Osiris was hurled to the ground by Set at a place called Netat, which seems to have been near Abydos. 1 The news of the death of Osiris was brought to Isis, and she at once set out to find his body. All legends agree in saying that she took the form of a bird, and that she flew about unceasingly, going hither and thither, and uttering wailing cries of grief. At length she found the body, and with a piercing cry she alighted on the ground. The Pyramid Texts say that Nephthys was with her that "Isis came, Nephthys came, the one on the right side, the other on the left side, one in the form of a Hat bird, the other in the form of a Tchert bird, and they found Osiris thrown on the ground in Netat byhis brother Set." The late form of the legend goes on to say that Isis fanned the body with her feathers, and produced air, and that at length she caused the inert members of Osiris to move, and drew from him his essence, wherefrom she produced her child Horus.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/egy/leg/leg08.htm

the mother of Horus was Isis, the wife of Osiris.....had been for a very long time...she is also supposedly the mother of Anubis......... perhaps you can explain to this Christian how you can draw from that account, that the mother of Horus was a virgin?

the rest of the claims are also false......

PostmodernProphet
09-09-2007, 07:08 AM
Here is an account of the "crucifixion" of Horus......

The fourth and following texts contain a narrative of the troubles of Isis which were caused by the malice of Set, and of her wanderings from city to city in the Delta, in the neighborhood of the Papyrus Swamps. The principal incident is the death of her son Horus, which took place whilst she was absent in a neighboring city, and was caused by the bite of a scorpion; in spite of all the care which Isis took in hiding her son, a scorpion managed to make its way into the presence of the boy, and it stung him until he died. When Isis came back and found her child's dead body she was distraught and frantic with grief, and was inconsolable until Nephthys came and advised her to appeal to Thoth, the lord of words of power, She did so straightway, and Thoth stopped the Boat of Millions of Years in which Ra, the Sun-god, sailed, and came down to earth in answer to her cry; Thoth had already provided her with the words of power which enabled her to raise up Osiris from the dead, and he now bestowed upon her the means of restoring Horus to life, by supplying her with a series of incantations of irresistible might.

http://www.touregypt.net/horus.htm

Gunny
09-09-2007, 08:30 AM
Yeah, but I just saw this other t.v. show where they said everything you posted is bullshit. They said so, naming YOU, specifically.

:lmao:

:clap:

JackDaniels
09-09-2007, 01:59 PM

Again, try to pretend like you have a brain cell in your head. I'm not taking a position, I'm asking for a refutation. I guess you aren't smart enough to give that, so please move along.

JackDaniels
09-09-2007, 02:00 PM
Good morning JackDaniels,

Provide us with some reputable links to this History, and I will try to answer your questions after I read them.

jd

I don't have links because they aren't my claims, just something I picked up.

I'm not taking a position on anything...I just found it interesting and looking for the other "side" of the argument.

JackDaniels
09-09-2007, 02:02 PM
the mother of Horus was Isis, the wife of Osiris.....had been for a very long time...she is also supposedly the mother of Anubis......... perhaps you can explain to this Christian how you can draw from that account, that the mother of Horus was a virgin?

I'm not drawing anything from any account, because I'm not making these claims

PostmodernProphet
09-09-2007, 04:30 PM
because I'm not making these claims

well thank goodness.....for a minute I thought you were really, really stupid.....I guess it's just that you visited a really, really stupid website......you should make a note of it on your bookmarks so you don't make that mistake again.......

by the way, I have run into this argument before.....the earliest source I have found is a website called the Institute for Religous Tolerance.....this 'institute' is actually a computer in the basement of Bruce, who has a BS degree in engineering and claims to be an expert theologian, despite bragging that he has intentionally never studied theology because he is afraid it will interfere with his insight......

glockmail
09-09-2007, 04:42 PM

I'm not taking a position on anything...I just found it interesting and looking for the other "side" of the argument.

I don't see the point here.

Said1
09-09-2007, 04:43 PM
Again, try to pretend like you have a brain cell in your head. I'm not taking a position, I'm asking for a refutation. I guess you aren't smart enough to give that, so please move along.

So you want people to refute something you don't exactly believe in and can't verify so you can what?

Guide us, we're mere peons in the presence of your greatness.

Said1
09-09-2007, 04:46 PM
well thank goodness.....for a minute I thought you were really, really stupid.....I guess it's just that you visited a really, really stupid website......you should make a note of it on your bookmarks so you don't make that mistake again.......

by the way, I have run into this argument before.....the earliest source I have found is a website called the Institute for Religous Tolerance.....this 'institute' is actually a computer in the basement of Bruce, who has a BS degree in engineering and claims to be an expert theologian, despite bragging that he has intentionally never studied theology because he is afraid it will interfere with his insight......

I know Bruce. That's my friends brother who is also known as JackDaniels in cyberspace. Here's a recent photo of him at work, in his mother's best evening gown, right before he got fired from his one and only job after graduation.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/Said1/fat-thumb2.jpg

5stringJeff
09-09-2007, 07:50 PM
Here are some notes taken from a documentary.

I'm just looking for a response from a Christian.

I'd like a rebuttal from a Christian to consider when weighing in on the above selection.

Link?

musicman
09-09-2007, 10:17 PM

I notice that you cleverly avoid any mention of the television show I saw - which demolishes every point YOUR documentary advances(mentioning you, by name), and pinpoints the precise location of Jimmy Hoffa besides. My claim has every bit as much credibility as yours; why don't YOU offer some refutation?

JackDaniels
09-09-2007, 10:24 PM
So you want people to refute something you don't exactly believe in and can't verify so you can what?

Guide us, we're mere peons in the presence of your greatness.

Wrong. I'm interested in the arguments put forth and before I will start to consider them, I want to know the other side.

That's how educated people act.

JackDaniels
09-09-2007, 10:26 PM
I know Bruce. That's my friends brother who is also known as JackDaniels in cyberspace. Here's a recent photo of him at work, in his mother's best evening gown, right before he got fired from his one and only job after graduation.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/Said1/fat-thumb2.jpg

This is one of those typical completely off topic responses that has no basis in reality but is an attempt to gain laughs from the uneducated followers you try to entertain.

Dilloduck
09-09-2007, 10:26 PM
Wrong. I'm interested in the arguments put forth and before I will start to consider them, I want to know the other side.

You really got a way to make people wanna spend a lot of time on ya. :laugh2:

Gunny
09-09-2007, 10:28 PM
This is one of those typical completely off topic responses that has no basis in reality but is an attempt to gain laughs from the uneducated followers you try to entertain.

Dude, DO get over yourself. You haven't shown even a fraction of being anymore educated than anyone else, and damned-sure nobody died and left you sole determining entity of who is and is not educated.

glockmail
09-09-2007, 11:09 PM
This is one of those typical completely off topic responses that has no basis in reality but is an attempt to gain laughs from the uneducated followers you try to entertain. Lets not compare edumacation pal. Surely you'd lose. :laugh2:

JohnDoe
09-10-2007, 04:17 AM

Dear Jack,

Don't worry about these "meanies" that have jumped all over you on this thread.... it is part of the initiation period it seems on this board, I went through the same when I first started here....

The point, people were trying to make with you is that THIS KIND OF Garbage that you have posted is something that we go through all the time....MORE MADE UP CRAPOLA about Christianity, so to try to discredit Christ and our religion.....

With just a little effort and a google, these kind of myths and stories put out there by the non believers can be easily checked and verified to be simply NOT TRUE... as Postmodernprophet showed you with the links he posted.

It's not all your fault....YOU did not make up these myths to try to confuse or discredit, but let this be a lesson....a lesson to do some research before believing these things that have been fabricated by someone or "something" that wants you to believe the LIE.

BTW, welcome to the board and Stick around, although all of these guys seemed extremely mean to me, when I first joined, they are all just pussy cats, and have good souls, even if they drive me absolutey nuts with their "appeared" harshness!

jd

Gunny
09-10-2007, 06:17 AM
Dear Jack,

Don't worry about these "meanies" that have jumped all over you on this thread.... it is part of the initiation period it seems on this board, I went through the same when I first started here....

The point, people were trying to make with you is that THIS KIND OF Garbage that you have posted is something that we go through all the time....MORE MADE UP CRAPOLA about Christianity, so to try to discredit Christ and our religion.....

With just a little effort and a google, these kind of myths and stories put out there by the non believers can be easily checked and verified to be simply NOT TRUE... as Postmodernprophet showed you with the links he posted.

It's not all your fault....YOU did not make up these myths to try to confuse or discredit, but let this be a lesson....a lesson to do some research before believing these things that have been fabricated by someone or "something" that wants you to believe the LIE.

BTW, welcome to the board and Stick around, although all of these guys seemed extremely mean to me, when I first joined, they are all just pussy cats, and have good souls, even if they drive me absolutey nuts with their "appeared" harshness!

jd

Dear John Doe ...

Please do not presume to apologize for some of us you assume are really "pussycats." Jack spends way too much time concerning himself with whatever it is he considers being "edumicated." Seems to me, he who cries loudest is the least secure, but I have neither the time nor the patience to feed his inferiority complex. If all he intends to do is talk down to people from some pretentious perch, I could care less if he stays or goes.

:poke:

09-10-2007, 06:21 AM

actually educated people do research. They dont need to put arguments forth

JohnDoe
09-10-2007, 06:22 AM
Dear John Doe ...

Please do not presume to apologize for some of us you assume are really "pussycats." Jack spends way too much time concerning himself with whatever it is he considers being "edumicated." Seems to me, he who cries loudest is the least secure, but I have neither the time nor the patience to feed his inferiority complex. If all he intends to do is talk down to people from some pretentious perch, I could care less if he stays or goes.

:poke:

That's fine Gunny....you don't have to be one of my pussy cats in the description if you don't wanna be.... I'm fair!!! hahahaha! :poke:

Carry on....be the Tiger or the Lion!

jd

Gunny
09-10-2007, 06:41 AM
That's fine Gunny....you don't have to be one of my pussy cats in the description if you don't wanna be.... I'm fair!!! hahahaha! :poke:

Carry on....be the Tiger or the Lion!

jd

:smoke: Gunny's are NOT pussycats.

JohnDoe
09-10-2007, 06:42 AM
actually educated people do research. They dont need to put arguments forthMaybe he is young, maybe he is not as educated as he believes.....

does any of this really matter?

Are only people that are educated worthy of debating their interests or their concerns and all else on this board should be ridiculed or ignored?

I truely am having a hard time understanding how people of Faith on this site, can be so viceral or just simply mean or revengeful or disrespectful or just rude towards other human beings at times? ....maybe you could explain that to me if you are one of those people of the Christian Faith? And I am not talking about this thread persay, but most threads imho, in general?

What is it that makes one behave this way? Being in cyberspace, the anoniminity of it or does one also treat the human beings in their physical life in the same manner, just because they have a different political view?

I have been a stay at home wife for a few years now and am not in the public, working arena anymore, but NO ONE ever was rude or mean or or looked down upon or short with any of the other workers simply because of political stances or because the other employee was uneducated to the degree of others?

And I could be way off base with all of this and just "not used to" being on a board with near all republicans so i could be reading this basically innate hatred towards those that differ and the nastiness that comes with it wrongly, but it sure seems that way to me, and I was wondering how this was justified with your faith, with turning the other cheek and with walking the extra mile with your adversary willingly, after he forced you to walk the first one mile with him?

Or does none of this MATTER in a Cyberworld?

jd

JohnDoe
09-10-2007, 06:50 AM

oops!

hahaha! :cheers2:

shattered
09-10-2007, 06:52 AM

What they lack in claws, they make up for in teeth. :cool:

Gunny
09-10-2007, 06:54 AM
What they lack in claws, they make up for in teeth. :cool:

:smoke:

GW in Ohio
09-10-2007, 07:24 AM
I don't see the point here.

Allow me, glockie (it's my week to be the interpreter for the dense)......

The point is that the story of Jesus is not unique to Christianity. Other religions told similar stories about their gods before ol' Jesus and his 4 evangalists came along.

It also seems that other religions have myths similar to Christianity....like the story of the Great Flood.

It just raises the question of how much of that stuff in the Bible is true, and how much of it is borrowed from the mythology of other religions.

Said1
09-10-2007, 07:26 AM

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder with respect to education. Weird. You sound like a first year student with a little bit of knowledge floating around in their post-pubescent heads.

And you're wrong, asking what your intentions are is not the behavior of an uneducated person. Questioning is what 'smart' people do, although they tend to state their purpose for such questioning, unlike you. Or at least your intent wasn't clear to me. Got it Mr. Edjumacation?

JohnDoe
09-10-2007, 07:37 AM

The point is that the story of Jesus is not unique to Christianity. Other religions told similar stories about their gods before ol' Jesus and his 4 evangalists came along.

It also seems that other religions have myths similar to Christianity....like the story of the Great Flood.

It just raises the question of how much of that stuff in the Bible is true, and how much of it is borrowed from the mythology of other religions.

NO GW,
jack did not provide any support for his RUMORS, and postmodernprophet supplied a link DISCREDITING the rumors that jack presented, by showing the lengthy history or Horus, and how Horus the man, was clearly born to ISIS, not a virgin birth....thus showing the majority jack's assertions with his original post in the thread, wrong... imo.

jd

glockmail
09-10-2007, 07:38 AM

It just raises the question of how much of that stuff in the Bible is true, and how much of it is borrowed from the mythology of other religions.:fu: on the dense comment.

Or perhaps it shows different viewpoints of all the same thing. :slap:

JohnDoe
09-10-2007, 07:46 AM
:fu: on the dense comment.

Or perhaps it shows different viewpoints of all the same thing. :slap:

Precisely, Gilgamesh and the other flood stories VERIFY that the flood did happen, not contradict it, imho!!!

glockmail
09-10-2007, 07:51 AM
Precisely, Gilgamesh and the other flood stories VERIFY that the flood did happen, not contradict it, imho!!! Agreed. These god-haters have no clue of reality.

Monkeybone
09-10-2007, 08:34 AM
not supporting Jack, but if you look at Christianity alot of things were 'borrowed' back when it started to spread out. like the Dec 25th, that wasn't us, that was another holiday. Easter, is really what..Ishtar? and the rabbits and eggs are a sign of fertility. Ishtar also i wanna say survied a great flood inside of a magie egg. the candy canes, with the white and red. that comes from another religion where you would walk under a grate in white robes while they killed a bull over you. those are just a few examples that i could remember off the top of my head from a class that i took.

i am not dissing/trying to disprove Christianity or God. i believe in God and Jesus. but back then, in the earlier times, chrisitanity 'adapted' other religions to either make it easier for ppl to join or to make them happy. they wanted to be the cool kid that everyone liked. but even with adding all of those different aspects it really doesn't take away from the core of things when you get down to it

glockmail
09-10-2007, 09:21 AM
In spite of your annoying avatar you make sense, MB. :coffee:

PostmodernProphet
09-10-2007, 09:21 AM

and I can trump that by stating the claims that these stories are not unique to Christianity is as false as the claim that Horus was crucified.....

can you provide me with a link to another religion with the same approach to the relationship between the deity and the people as that set forth in the OT/NT?

PostmodernProphet
09-10-2007, 09:25 AM
and the rabbits and eggs are a sign of fertility

psst......monkey?....rabbits and eggs have nothing to do with the Christian holiday of Easter.....they have a great deal to do with the secular holiday of Easter......just as Santa Claus and decorated trees have nothing to do with the Christian holiday of Christmas.......

Monkeybone
09-10-2007, 09:31 AM
i understand that PMP. was just typing everything that i could remember. and are you saying that all Christian Families never have chocolate bunnies or egg shaped candy for easter? i actually know some people that don't, but most families do

Thanks Glock and i will change my avatar for ya

glockmail
09-10-2007, 09:38 AM

Much better :clap:

JackDaniels
09-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Dear Jack,

jd

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm glad someone sees what I'm trying to do with this, and attacking me for something I have already said are NOT my claims.

Also, in case you were wondering, the source of the claims is here www.zeitgeistmovie.com

Abbey Marie
09-10-2007, 10:07 AM
i understand that PMP. was just typing everything that i could remember. and are you saying that all Christian Families never have chocolate bunnies or egg shaped candy for easter? i actually know some people that don't, but get what?

He is saying that secular customs are not in any way determinant of the principles or validity of Christianity.

PostmodernProphet
09-10-2007, 11:37 AM
are you saying that all Christian Families never have chocolate bunnies or egg shaped candy for easter?

no, but when they eat chocolate bunnies they are not celebrating a Christian holiday, they are celebrating a major American marketing event......

Abbey Marie
09-10-2007, 11:40 AM
no, but when they eat chocolate bunnies they are not celebrating a Christian holiday, they are celebrating a major American marketing event......

They must be hollow, and you must bite off the ears first. :coffee:

GW in Ohio
09-10-2007, 11:53 AM
i understand that PMP. was just typing everything that i could remember. and are you saying that all Christian Families never have chocolate bunnies or egg shaped candy for easter? i actually know some people that don't, but get what?

Monkeybone: I admire your avatar greatly. It clearly says that you courageous conservatives will be out there on the front lines, defending America from its enemies, while we craven liberals cower in our beatnik coffeehouses, sipping lattes.

And when January '09 comes around and we get a president who has a fucking brain in his or her head (doesn't matter if it's Republican or Democrat...any of the leading candidates will be a quantum improvement over the current bonehead CinC), we'll start to deploy you courageous conservatives in ways that make sense.

So keep your flight suit on, and keep your bladder empty......:salute:

Monkeybone
09-10-2007, 12:01 PM
sheesh people don't seem to like my avatars.

and honestly yah, i see more military as being a conservative, you do get those occasional soldiers that protest or sue over their deployment, but those are usually the ppl that signed on to get the benies. and i say stick the soldiers wherever they are needed. better than just waiting until someone attacks us again. but that is all for another thread.

PostmodernProphet
09-10-2007, 02:25 PM
They must be hollow, and you must bite off the ears first. :coffee:

lol, no way......that would be a liberal chocolate bunny......all outward appearance, no substance.....give me a conservative chocolate bunny any day.......

darin
09-10-2007, 02:30 PM
(doesn't matter if it's Republican or Democrat...any of the leading candidates will be a quantum improvement over the current bonehead CinC),

As an aside...I'd bet a LOT of Money GWB has a higher IQ than you, or is otherwise more intelligent/smarter. :)

He's better than ANY of us here on this (and 99% of most) messageboards.

Hagbard Celine
09-10-2007, 03:10 PM
sheesh people don't seem to like my avatars.

and honestly yah, i see more military as being a conservative, you do get those occasional soldiers that protest or sue over their deployment, but those are usually the ppl that signed on to get the benies. and i say stick the soldiers wherever they are needed. better than just waiting until someone attacks us again. but that is all for another thread.

I don't think it's that he doesn't "like" it. I think it's that he thinks it makes you seem dumb. :dunno: Don't take my word for it, I'm just speculating.

Monkeybone
09-10-2007, 03:30 PM
oh i won't deny that i am a Re Re....cause i will never ever get over that devastating reply nor counter it. plus it made me chuckle. do i come off as a right wing nutter/fanatic?

Gunny
09-10-2007, 06:48 PM
I don't think it's that he doesn't "like" it. I think it's that he thinks it makes you seem dumb. :dunno: Don't take my word for it, I'm just speculating.

Don't mind if speculate the same about yours, do ya? :poke: