PDA

View Full Version : Romney voting to convict

jimnyc
02-05-2020, 02:22 PM
And there is no doubt in my mind he is doing so out of personal reasons and dislike. I hope voters remember this, him and others.

--

2:07 PM: The Democrats who spoke about “history” got to Romney. He said voting against his conscience would expose his character to “history’s rebuke” and “censure” of his own conscience. He says with his vote, he can tell his children and grandchildren that he did his duty to the best of his ability. He said history will look at him as one of the Senators who determined that what Trump did was “grievously wrong.”

2:05 PM: Sen. Mitt Romney (R-UT) choking up on the Senate floor hours before the Senate votes. Romney says Trump is guilty of an “appalling abuse of public trust.” He says he has received numerous calls and texts to “stand with the team” in the last few weeks. He says his promise before God required him to put his personal feelings and biases aside. Romney says he is ready to hear abuse from Trump and his supporters.

https://i.imgur.com/zsa7qky.png

Rest - https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/02/05/live-updates-trump-impeachment-trial-senate-ready-to-acquit/

FakeNewsSux
02-05-2020, 03:02 PM
And there is no doubt in my mind he is doing so out of personal reasons and dislike. I hope voters remember this, him and others.

Given his defense of the Bidens, could it be that he was also providing cover for his former national security advisor and former CIA spook, J. Cofer Black, who also sits on the Board of Burisma?

SassyLady
02-05-2020, 05:38 PM
He voted guilty on Article I Abuse of Power and Not Guilty on Article II Obstruction of Congress.

Another McCain in the Senate.

I was really hoping Sinema from Arizona would vote Not Guilty but, alas, not to be.

High_Plains_Drifter
02-05-2020, 06:56 PM
Republicans Call on ‘Sore Loser’ Mitt Romney to Be Expelled from Republican Party

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/02/05/rrepublicans-call-on-sore-loser-mitt-romney-to-be-expelled-from-republican-party/ (https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/02/05/rrepublicans-call-on-sore-loser-mitt-romney-to-be-expelled-from-republican-party/)

Gunny
02-05-2020, 07:27 PM
Republicans Call on ‘Sore Loser’ Mitt Romney to Be Expelled from Republican Party

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/02/05/rrepublicans-call-on-sore-loser-mitt-romney-to-be-expelled-from-republican-party/ (https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/02/05/rrepublicans-call-on-sore-loser-mitt-romney-to-be-expelled-from-republican-party/)I was about to post that. Blackballed at every turn. No committee chairs. No GOP funding. No support for anything.

If the GOP expels him? Good. I've never liked him and we knew he was a rat when they put him in office. Only reason he was a Republican Governor in a leftwingnut state is because he fit in.

PostmodernProphet
02-05-2020, 07:52 PM
I think it must stem from his disappointment that he couldn't get elected and Trump could......

Gunny
02-05-2020, 08:03 PM
I think it must stem from his disappointment that he couldn't get elected and Trump could......IIRC, it started when Romney mouthed off and Trump got the better of the exchange. Of course Trump is going to say something if prompted, he's Trump. However, Romney is the one that has appeared unable to get over himself and march on. He should have thought about that before he decided to get into a battle of words with a character when he, Romney, is as boring as water and about as witty.

Drummond
02-06-2020, 08:01 AM
Is this one instance of red tape in America being worse than in the UK ?

In the UK ... when Boris first became our PM, he inherited a Party that was fracturing over Brexit. Around 20 Conservative MP's formed a 'hardcore' of resistance to Boris's intended direction. So, Boris solved his problem by just chucking them out of the Party.

Each was called to attend 10 Downing Street, and Boris told each to their faces that they were henceforth out of the Conservative Party. It was THAT simple. Boris rid himself of all 20 in a single afternoon.

So, it looks like the GOP has to unite to chuck Romney out ? Is that true ? Why ?? You've got Romney working to oust his President, your Commander-in-Chief, from his job ! That's orders of magnitude worse than what Boris tackled.

If President Trump has any power to oust Romney, he should immediately do so. Romney's a traitor to the Cause, there's no argument for tolerating him for a second longer than necessary.

High_Plains_Drifter
02-06-2020, 09:14 AM
Is this one instance of red tape in America being worse than in the UK ?

In the UK ... when Boris first became our PM, he inherited a Party that was fracturing over Brexit. Around 20 Conservative MP's formed a 'hardcore' of resistance to Boris's intended direction. So, Boris solved his problem by just chucking them out of the Party.

Each was called to attend 10 Downing Street, and Boris told each to their faces that they were henceforth out of the Conservative Party. It was THAT simple. Boris rid himself of all 20 in a single afternoon.

So, it looks like the GOP has to unite to chuck Romney out ? Is that true ? Why ?? You've got Romney working to oust his President, your Commander-in-Chief, from his job ! That's orders of magnitude worse than what Boris tackled.

If President Trump has any power to oust Romney, he should immediately do so. Romney's a traitor to the Cause, there's no argument for tolerating him for a second longer than necessary.
The end goal is the same, but the process is a little more complicated than that here. Being one, the separation of powers, Romney being a Senator, the president has no power to fire him, and second, since he was elected, neither does Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, but, Mitch can basically cut him off from any and all perks that come from the republican party, cut him off from any committee appointments, any financial help, on and on, and his colleagues can shun him, stop calling, stop including him in anything, all of which I fully anticipate will happen to some degree. When you vote with the opposition in favor of what is well known as a farcical attempt to remove a duly elected president since the day he was sworn in, and you are the ONLY one to do so, then you've just flushed your political career down the toilet, unless you want to SWITCH PARTIES. Romney's days as a republican are over as soon as his term is up. He bad mouthed the president as a phony and a fraud and then went groveling back to him expecting to get the Secretary of State job, and when he didn't get that job, he's just been BUTT HURT SINCE. His excuses for voting to convict the president on Abuse of Power are as phony as a $3 bill, and he will forever be remembered as the single turn coat traitor in a sham impeachment, the butt hurt little idiot that put his own hurt feelings over the party and country. I can't stand the ass clown, and the sooner he's gone the better, and I highly doubt he'll win reelection.

Drummond
02-06-2020, 09:35 AM
The end goal the same, but the process is a little more complicated than that here. Being one, the separation of powers, Romney being a Senator, the president has no power to fire him, and second, since he was elected, neither does Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, but, Mitch can basically cut him off from any and all perks that come from the republican party, cut him off from any committee appointments, any financial help, on and on, and his colleagues can shun him, stop calling, stop including him in anything, all of which I fully anticipate will happen to some degree. When you vote with the opposition in favor of what is well known as a farcical attempt to remove a duly elected president since the day he was sworn in, and you are the ONLY one to do so, then you've just flushed your political career down the toilet, unless you want to SWITCH PARTIES. Romney's days as a republican are over as soon as his term is up. He bad mouthed the president as a phony and a fraud and then went groveling back to him expecting to get the Secretary of State job, and when he didn't get that job, he's just been BUTT HURT SINCE. His excuses for voting to convict the president on Abuse of Power are as phony as a $3 bill, and he will forever be remembered as the single turn coat traitor in a sham impeachment, the butt hurt little idiot that put his own hurt feelings over the party and country. I can't stand the ass clown, and the sooner he's gone the better, and I highly doubt he'll win reelection.

It must be annoying for Trump to have to tolerate Romney for every day he remains in his post as Senator.

I take your point ... we don't have a Senate over here, so there's not that tier of authority. An MP, once elected, is either a 'backbench' MP (confined to supporting Party and local constituents) or occupies a job within Government, as a Minister (or maybe chairs a committee). Of course, some are elevated (occasionally) to the House of Lords.

All of this makes it eminently easy to fire a Conservative who's 'misbehaving' ... even if he's a Minister, as was true of some of the 20 when Boris took his action. It can be done by a PM as a final action. It can be done in a partial way, with an MP having the Whip withdrawn until he falls into line. It can be done by a local Constituency Party deselecting the MP. All of these can be immediate or near-immediate actions.

... Still. Where there's a will, there's a way. Surely Romney can still be dealt with quickly, if those needing to just communicate with each other agree their strategy ? McConnell is apparently in a pivotal position to act ... is anything delaying him ?

I hope it can be a quick process, because otherwise, the drag on morale while Romney enacts his sabotaging efforts would be appreciable ? He doesn't deserve a minute longer in any position of authority than should be tolerated (i.e none at all).

[Quick addition] .... Like you, we have our MP's who switch Parties, and in fact we had a collection of them banding together to form their own rebel Party, over this past year. However ... an MP switching Parties is unlikely to thrive once that happens ... how do you trust an MP who turns his / her back on the brand of politics they SAY they believe in ?

Those who formed their own Party lived to see it unravel. Some just quit it. The others didn't have voters support them in the December election. Abandon your Party, and, trust usually evaporates .... and, goodbye career ....

jimnyc
02-06-2020, 09:38 AM
More and more calling for Mitt to be tossed from the party, and I sure hope they do! Who needs 'em. Don't be a part of a political party if you don't want to support that party, especially when the overwhelming majority think the opposite as you do. The reasons then become obvious to many, hence the crying to toss him.

Drummond
02-06-2020, 09:50 AM
More and more calling for Mitt to be tossed from the party, and I sure hope they do! Who needs 'em. Don't be a part of a political party if you don't want to support that party, especially when the overwhelming majority think the opposite as you do. The reasons then become obvious to many, hence the crying to toss him.

This must be both annoying an frustrating in equal measure. As I've been posting ... over here, any MP acting in any renegade way can be sacked for it in a single afternoon. I hope Romney is dealt with in as short a time as possible.

jimnyc
02-06-2020, 10:02 AM
This must be both annoying an frustrating in equal measure. As I've been posting ... over here, any MP acting in any renegade way can be sacked for it in a single afternoon. I hope Romney is dealt with in as short a time as possible.

In our house and senate it's such a dang big deal to do such, at least by republicans as of late. And by late I mean like the past 2 decades.

I'm glad they supported Trump don't get me wrong. But most of the time you will hear them talking big about doing investigations, prosecuting this one and doing this to the other party... and then do nothing.

Take Lindsey Graham in the past year. He went public and stated he was going to open an investigation on Schiff. I think he said the same about the whistleblower Ciaramella and other events. He hasn't don'e jack shit on a single promise to open shit about anyone. And he's not alone. The republicans seem like they want to be above things at times and not do the harsher things to the other party. Why I have no idea. Maybe they think it makes them look better. Or they can't gather enough support.

Now the Dems, they will toss you by the end of the day. They will open every investigation. They follow through with threats. And they 100% support one another - but they do so right or wrong. They don't care in that respect. Perhaps they go over the line and do things as they know THEY are the ones who don't get stopped or even investigated! I could rattle off endless things about the Clintons, Schiff, Pelosi, Obama, Biden and endless scandals. And yet here they are.

High_Plains_Drifter
02-06-2020, 02:04 PM
In our house and senate it's such a dang big deal to do such, at least by republicans as of late. And by late I mean like the past 2 decades.

I'm glad they supported Trump don't get me wrong. But most of the time you will hear them talking big about doing investigations, prosecuting this one and doing this to the other party... and then do nothing.

Take Lindsey Graham in the past year. He went public and stated he was going to open an investigation on Schiff. I think he said the same about the whistleblower Ciaramella and other events. He hasn't don'e jack shit on a single promise to open shit about anyone. And he's not alone. The republicans seem like they want to be above things at times and not do the harsher things to the other party. Why I have no idea. Maybe they think it makes them look better. Or they can't gather enough support.

Now the Dems, they will toss you by the end of the day. They will open every investigation. They follow through with threats. And they 100% support one another - but they do so right or wrong. They don't care in that respect. Perhaps they go over the line and do things as they know THEY are the ones who don't get stopped or even investigated! I could rattle off endless things about the Clintons, Schiff, Pelosi, Obama, Biden and endless scandals. And yet here they are.
All true, and me the eternal optimist, I'm thinking that possibly the reason no Graham investigations have taken place is because the Barr/Durham criminal investigations are still on going and that all Graham has suggested is already being included in those... IDK... I just damn well hope so. The democrats SERIOUSLY need to be taken down a freakin' notch, it is PAST TIME to do so. They play filthy rotten dirty and are corrupt to the core, and now because of that steaming pile of dog shit Romney, they can claim their farce impeachment was BIPARTISAN. THANKS ROMNEY, you worthless little ASS CLOWN.

High_Plains_Drifter
02-06-2020, 02:06 PM
Unfortunately, I heard one mention that the Senate Majority Leader McConnell was quoted as saying... "there are no dog houses in the senate," meaning no action will be taken against Romney. Well, I hope he was saying that just to cover his ass, but he didn't really mean it.

Kathianne
02-06-2020, 02:13 PM
McConnell is smart. Utah will deal with Romney as it sees fit. Meanwhile, he has voted more than 80% of the time the was the leader wants him to and they need the votes for those that don't.

NightTrain
02-06-2020, 02:29 PM
Unfortunately, I heard one mention that the Senate Majority Leader McConnell was quoted as saying... "there are no dog houses in the senate," meaning no action will be taken against Romney. Well, I hope he was saying that just to cover his ass, but he didn't really mean it.

McConnell said that immediately after the acquittal in the Press conference after being peppered with questions from reporters left & right about what kinds of reprisals are in store for Romney's treachery.

McConnell still needs Romney's vote to continue to stack the courts with constitutional minded judges and ousting Romney now gives Democrats a freebie Senate vote from Utah until re-election in 2024 - that's a long time.

McConnell alluded to this by also saying "The most important vote is the next one."

McConnell is an awesome poker player and he plays to win.

Reporters breathlessly tried to get him to tip his hand, but he wasn't having it. Romney will face the music, but McConnell will use him until he can be disposed of in 4 years.

SassyLady
02-07-2020, 07:59 PM
Senate can't afford to lose another seat.

Gunny
02-07-2020, 09:42 PM
This must be both annoying an frustrating in equal measure. As I've been posting ... over here, any MP acting in any renegade way can be sacked for it in a single afternoon. I hope Romney is dealt with in as short a time as possible.You won't see that in out government. "Sacked in a single afternoon' would work for me.

No one can force him out of the Senate if he refuses to go. He can lose a lot of support though. I'm sure he didn't plan on sitting for 6 years in the Senate without introducing a single piece of legislation. Since he can't be forced out (there are legal ways to remove a Senator but I doubt anyone even remembers what they are) he is, as pointed out above, a needed vote.

Some strange people calling themselves conservative in the Republican Party nowadays :whistling2:

And just to start some crap :halo9: It is a strange relationship Mormons have with liberals. Mormons are ultra-conservative among themselves but they need liberals to have acceptance. Which points directly at this being personal on Romney's part and not professional. That doesn't go well with the job he is entrusted with by We, the People.

NightTrain
02-07-2020, 11:17 PM
It is a strange relationship Mormons have with liberals. Mormons are ultra-conservative among themselves but they need liberals to have acceptance.

Yes.

It's the polygamy thing that pushes mormons to the libs. Other than that, I don't know of anything that aligns with each other.