PDA

View Full Version : Imagehostingsite.com - I am pissed!

jimnyc
09-09-2007, 09:16 AM
My apologies to anyone here who utilizes this site, I have temporarily disabled all http requests. I am in the process of renaming folders to disable the site, then I will re-enable functionality but the site technically won't work any longer. My goal is to now likely sell the site.

My image site is hosted on a VPS server, not the same server as DP. This server allows for 300GB of bandwidth monthly and 15GB of storage. I receive equal access to the CPU as the other sites on this server and loads of memory. There are currently about 9,500 images hosted on this site. I'm averaging about 5,000 unique visitors per month with only about 5,800 page requests from those visitors. BUT, thus far this month there have been 208,000 remote HTTP requests, which is normal for an image site. While the direct traffic is low, people load images there and then link to them on other sites. One image can be loaded on a popular forum and every person reading the thread will be requesting said image or images.

Server CPU load is at .08% and memory utilization at 1.2%. There is still plenty of disk space available and I've so far used 20GB of bandwidth for the month of September.

Anyhoo... My mail is loading extremely slow, as is my site. I open a ticket and send them a tracert showing that the response time is unacceptable, that the ping times along my route are all below 30ms until it reaches the IP for my server where it jumps to over 500ms. The response I receive is that my site is receiving too many HTTP requests resulting in the slowdown, and that I should upgrade to a dedicated server to resolve the issue. Instead I have temporarily taken the steps I've outlined until I decide what to do.

Additionally, they told me to go to my control panel and enable hotlink protection which will cut down on remote images being loaded, saving bandwidth and server resources. WTH? The entire point of my site is to allow images to be loaded remotely!

While I disagree with their assessment since the diagnostics I have run show the server resources to be within acceptable boundaries, I really don't have a leg to stand on. So now it's either use the domain for something else less intensive, or sell of my site. Being the domain 'imagehostingsite.com' is kind of direct and to the point, it wouldn't make sense to change the desired functionality.

Anyone want to purchase their very own image hosting site? :laugh2:

Mr. P
09-09-2007, 10:09 AM
My apologies to anyone here who utilizes this site, I have temporarily disabled all http requests. I am in the process of renaming folders to disable the site, then I will re-enable functionality but the site technically won't work any longer. My goal is to now likely sell the site.

My image site is hosted on a VPS server, not the same server as DP. This server allows for 300GB of bandwidth monthly and 15GB of storage. I receive equal access to the CPU as the other sites on this server and loads of memory. There are currently about 9,500 images hosted on this site. I'm averaging about 5,000 unique visitors per month with only about 5,800 page requests from those visitors. BUT, thus far this month there have been 208,000 remote HTTP requests, which is normal for an image site. While the direct traffic is low, people load images there and then link to them on other sites. One image can be loaded on a popular forum and every person reading the thread will be requesting said image or images.

Server CPU load is at .08% and memory utilization at 1.2%. There is still plenty of disk space available and I've so far used 20GB of bandwidth for the month of September.

Anyhoo... My mail is loading extremely slow, as is my site. I open a ticket and send them a tracert showing that the response time is unacceptable, that the ping times along my route are all below 30ms until it reaches the IP for my server where it jumps to over 500ms. The response I receive is that my site is receiving too many HTTP requests resulting in the slowdown, and that I should upgrade to a dedicated server to resolve the issue. Instead I have temporarily taken the steps I've outlined until I decide what to do.

Additionally, they told me to go to my control panel and enable hotlink protection which will cut down on remote images being loaded, saving bandwidth and server resources. WTH? The entire point of my site is to allow images to be loaded remotely!

While I disagree with their assessment since the diagnostics I have run show the server resources to be within acceptable boundaries, I really don't have a leg to stand on. So now it's either use the domain for something else less intensive, or sell of my site. Being the domain 'imagehostingsite.com' is kind of direct and to the point, it wouldn't make sense to change the desired functionality.

Anyone want to purchase their very own image hosting site? :laugh2:
With Owner financing? $1.98 my last offer. :laugh2:

dan
09-09-2007, 01:34 PM

$1.99 here!:D

glockmail
09-09-2007, 01:37 PM
could prolly sell it to mircosoft or google, one of those types who wants to rule the world.

jackass
09-09-2007, 03:30 PM

:laugh2:

Mr. P is on a roll today!!! :laugh2: