PDA

View Full Version : Everybody HAS to Know Someone Like This

Gunny
02-13-2020, 05:21 PM
You are reluctantly drawn into a conversation by this person who proceeds to question the Hell out of you, then not let you finish one sentence. This person's favorite preface for his interruptions is "Oh, you mean ...". No, f*cker. I meant you're a drunk. Ask the same stupid questions every Thursday night when you get your bottle(s) of Ripple or equivalent and I don't want to talk to you.

"No, you mean ...":rolleyes:

:bang3:

High_Plains_Drifter
02-13-2020, 06:24 PM
Yeah I know a couple "functioning alcoholics." I don't stop at the bar but maybe once a month, and it's always in the day shortly after they open just have a couple quick ones and then leave, but the SAME PEOPLE are always in there, and when I don't stop and just drive by the tavern, the SAME VEHICLES are always parked there. But I've known the couple ones that drink EVERY DAY for a long time, and sadly they seem to die early. They have red faces, can drink enough to float a battleship, and I just wonder how much money they spend a month on beer in the tavern. Hell if I have to have more than a couple I BUY beer at the store and drink at HOME. Don't need a DUI either, even though I only have a few blocks to drive home.

But to your point Gunny, I've known people like you say, and from the years that I also bartended, it's extremely hard to talk to someone like that, UNLESS YOU'RE DRUNK TOO. That's why this one guy that owned this rather nice bar/restaurant I bartended at, on busy nights he'd say, "Tommy, you got one going, (and he knew I didn't), but then he'd say, get one, and get me one too." Just so we'd have a little buzz going for later when we had to deal with all the drunks kicking them out at bar time, it made it easier to do... :laugh:

Gunny
02-13-2020, 08:30 PM
Yeah I know a couple "functioning alcoholics." I don't stop at the bar but maybe once a month, and it's always in the day shortly after they open just have a couple quick ones and then leave, but the SAME PEOPLE are always in there, and when I don't stop and just drive by the tavern, the SAME VEHICLES are always parked there. But I've known the couple ones that drink EVERY DAY for a long time, and sadly they seem to die early. They have red faces, can drink enough to float enough to float a battleship, and I just wonder how much money they spend a month on beer in the tavern. Hell if I have to have more than a couple I BUY beer at the store and drink at HOME.

But to your point Gunny, I've known people like you say, and from the years that I also bartended, it's extremely hard to talk to someone like that, UNLESS YOU'RE DRUNK TOO. That's why this one guy that owned this rather nice bar/restaurant I bartended at, on busy nights he'd say, "Tommy, you got one going, (and he knew I didn't), but then he'd say, get one, and get me one too." Just so we'd have a little buzz going for when later we had to deal with all the drunks, it made it easier to do... :laugh:

I wasn't focusing on "drunk" although the two behaviors go together a lot. People who finish your sentences for you. And or tell you what you meant or think when they have no real idea since you haven't gotten to finish a sentence from the get-go. That behavior drives me nuts, drunk or not.

High_Plains_Drifter
02-13-2020, 09:23 PM
I wasn't focusing on "drunk" although the two behaviors go together a lot. People who finish your sentences for you. And or tell you what you meant or think when they have no real idea since you haven't gotten to finish a sentence from the get-go. That behavior drives me nuts, drunk or not.
Can't say as though I know anyone like that, although I get what you mean. Yes, it would aggravate me... :laugh:

SassyLady
02-14-2020, 05:36 AM
I'm guilty of that. I have a tendency to finish people's sentences especially when they put long pauses in their sentences. I do it to keep conversation going or I just lose interest in the conversation altogether. Brain thinks too fast sometimes. And, I rarely drink so it's not from being drunk.

However, I don't tell them "oh, you mean ... "

NightTrain
02-14-2020, 01:53 PM
Yeah, that can get pretty annoying.

What gets my goat, though, is someone telling me that I'm going to LOVE their salmon.

There's 2 things that are a hard pass from me : oatmeal and salmon. That's because all through the '80s yours truly ate that shit almost every day.

So when someone learns that I don't eat salmon, it's an automatic response : "oh, you haven't had MY salmon. You're going to love it."

No, mf'r, I'm not going to like it. Unless you can transmute that salmon filet into a 16oz medium rare steak, I'm not going to like it.

After damn near 50 years, I'm pretty sure of the foods I don't like.

Gunny
02-14-2020, 02:32 PM
Yeah, that can get pretty annoying.

What gets my goat, though, is someone telling me that I'm going to LOVE their salmon.

There's 2 things that are a hard pass from me : oatmeal and salmon. That's because all through the '80s yours truly ate that shit almost every day.

So when someone learns that I don't eat salmon, it's an automatic response : "oh, you haven't had MY salmon. You're going to love it."

No, mf'r, I'm not going to like it. Unless you can transmute that salmon filet into a 16oz medium rare steak, I'm not going to like it.

After damn near 50 years, I'm pretty sure of the foods I don't like.Definitely hear you on that. Even the medium rare ribeye :) My daughter loves salmon. Grilled it for her once, took a bite, and she didn't have to share. Ever again. When she eats it now, I DO get a steak :)

But yeah, I think after 60 years I know what I'm going to eat and not, and there is always someone with: "you just haven't had MY ______". Ain't planning on it either. It ain't you nor your ability to cook in question. It's the damned fish.

The guy I mentioned in the OP is a typical millennial. So not only is he rude, but he could convolute the recipe for boiling water thinking he's some kind of intellectual genius.

Gunny
02-14-2020, 02:36 PM
I'm guilty of that. I have a tendency to finish people's sentences especially when they put long pauses in their sentences. I do it to keep conversation going or I just lose interest in the conversation altogether. Brain thinks too fast sometimes. And, I rarely drink so it's not from being drunk.

However, I don't tell them "oh, you mean ... "That doesn't sound much like what I'm talking about. You don't get a chance to pause with this guy. I can understand dead silence. That means you're done as far as I'm concerned.

If I want someone to tell me "what I meant" I can go back to the old message board :halo9: