PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Now Charging SALES TAX On Everything

High_Plains_Drifter
02-15-2020, 06:16 PM
OK... I just have one question... if a private party is selling a used, "USED," item, that has HAD the sales tax ALREADY paid on it once, then why are they charging sales tax on an item TWICE? Isn't that some sort of double indemnity? Are we expected to pay sales tax on something over and over every time it's sold?

The government just can NOT STOP it's ever increasing intrusions into EVERYTHING to SIPHON OFF MONEY in any way they can dream up. It's GREED, and it's PATHETIC.

Is taxing garage sales next?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-16-2020, 06:47 AM
OK... I just have one question... if a private party is selling a used, "USED," item, that has HAD the sales tax ALREADY paid on it once, then why are they charging sales tax on an item TWICE? Isn't that some sort of double indemnity? Are we expected to pay sales tax on something over and over every time it's sold?

The government just can NOT STOP it's ever increasing intrusions into EVERYTHING to SIPHON OFF MONEY in any way they can dream up. It's GREED, and it's PATHETIC.

In addition, Ebay already pays taxes on its profits for the service provided.
Federal government will do as it pleases my friend. Never more so than when the dems are in charge.
The more billions brought in, the more they can steal.... Sad but true... --Tyr

High_Plains_Drifter
02-16-2020, 08:47 AM
In addition, Ebay already pays taxes on its profits for the service provided.
Federal government will do as it pleases my friend. Never more so than when the dems are in charge.
The more billions brought in, the more they can steal.... Sad but true... --Tyr
I hear ya brother.

Yeah Amazon started charging taxes, which I guess I can understand, because they're selling NEW merchandise. But EBAY? 90% of the stuff being sold on there is USED, by PRIVATE PARTIES. So I don't get it, that one item might have been bought and sold many times over many decades, and now we're supposed to just keep paying sales tax on the same item over and over and over and over? I know... I sound like a broken record, but I just think that's flat out STUPID, not to mention ROBBERY. It does just irritate the holy FUCK otta me when our government just imposes it's CRAP on people, and we really don't have JACK to say about it. That's why I hate just about ALL politicians, because the vast majority of them are ALL in on this kind of BS, whether they ADMIT it or not, it just pisses me off to no end. NOTHING can transpire in this nation where MONEY starts to flow without the damn GOVERNMENT showing up and poking their damn nose in it and scheming up how THEY can get THEIR fingers in it and siphon off some money. Greedy pieces of shit.

I suppose they'll be leaning on craigslist next, and I'm not joking, and even GARAGE SALES.

I'm going to start calling our government the GESTAPO.

NightTrain
02-16-2020, 10:46 AM
I could be wrong, but my understanding is that if you live in a zip code subject to a sales tax, then the online marketplace is required to collect the tax and forward it to your local government.

We don't have a sales tax up here and it never applies.

Think about it this way : if you go to a local thrift store and buy that 2nd-hand item, they still have to apply your local sales tax, even though that item has surely been taxed before.

I dislike paying taxes as much as the next guy, but your local politicians decided that you'll pay them every time you spend any money. About the only solution is to move somewhere else that doesn't have a sales tax.

This has been coming for a while now... politicians get pretty cranky when the expected tax revenue falls short because everyone is dodging their tax by using Amazon or Ebay - and now they can't buy that transgender art piece they were planning on buying for your local library.

High_Plains_Drifter
02-16-2020, 11:07 AM
I could be wrong, but my understanding is that if you live in a zip code subject to a sales tax, then the online marketplace is required to collect the tax and forward it to your local government.

We don't have a sales tax up here and it never applies.

Think about it this way : if you go to a local thrift store and buy that 2nd-hand item, they still have to apply your local sales tax, even though that item has surely been taxed before.

I dislike paying taxes as much as the next guy, but your local politicians decided that you'll pay them every time you spend any money. About the only solution is to move somewhere else that doesn't have a sales tax.

This has been coming for a while now... politicians get pretty cranky when the expected tax revenue falls short because everyone is dodging their tax by using Amazon or Ebay - and now they can't buy that transgender art piece they were planning on buying for your local library.
You're right, Rick, and the list of states collecting sales tax on ebay is just about ALL the states now...

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/paying-items/paying-tax-ebay-purchases?id=4771

NightTrain
02-16-2020, 12:38 PM
You're right, Rick, and the list of states collecting sales tax on ebay is just about ALL the states now...

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/paying-items/paying-tax-ebay-purchases?id=4771

Yeah, just out of curiosity I checked it out and there's only 5 states that don't have a sales tax : Alaska, New Hampshire, Delaware, Oregon and Montana.

I knew that AK and MT didn't have one, and to be honest I'm quite surprised that the other 3 don't have one. Especially Oregon, as it's a hotbed for rabid leftists and as far as I know, hardcore libs have never met a tax they didn't like.

Here's another oddity that will probably affect me down the road at some point, though : Wasilla DOES have a sales tax but it appears that Amazon and Ebay are both unconcerned with checking for that. Both my shipping and billing address are in Wasilla proper, but I live outside of city limits - however, I technically should be getting taxed because that's the end point of sale.

I suppose that trying to keep track of 8 million different county and cities' tax rates would be impossible to administer and remit on a national scale, so maybe there's a clause exempting online marketplaces from city & county taxes.

Wasilla has that sales tax for the local cops, and they do an outstanding job in making sure that your windows aren't too dark and your license plate lights are working. And don't even think about rolling 2mph above the speed limit. Not on Dudley's watch!

Gunny
02-16-2020, 01:04 PM

They do here. You can have 2, I think. Any more than that, you have to draw a permit (that costs money of course), and declare your income. Like anyone's going to tell the truth about what they made at a garage sale :rolleyes:

The reasoning behind it here thought is sound. A certain ethnicity that is not white but is the majority here have turned flea markets and garage sales into businesses and some were having them every weekend.

The answer to your question is no, from your municipal court all the way up the chain to the Fed government, they will continue to find more ways to invent new taxes, or raise old ones. Our governments at all levels are in business for themselves, not We, the People.

High_Plains_Drifter
02-16-2020, 01:09 PM
Yeah, just out of curiosity I checked it out and there's only 5 states that don't have a sales tax : Alaska, New Hampshire, Delaware, Oregon and Montana.

I knew that AK and MT didn't have one, and to be honest I'm quite surprised that the other 3 don't have one. Especially Oregon, as it's a hotbed for rabid leftists and as far as I know, hardcore libs have never met a tax they didn't like.

Here's another oddity that will probably affect me down the road at some point, though : Wasilla DOES have a sales tax but it appears that Amazon and Ebay are both unconcerned with checking for that. Both my shipping and billing address are in Wasilla proper, but I live outside of city limits - however, I technically should be getting taxed because that's the end point of sale.

I suppose that trying to keep track of 8 million different county and cities' tax rates would be impossible to administer and remit on a national scale, so maybe there's a clause exempting online marketplaces from city & county taxes.

Wasilla has that sales tax for the local cops, and they do an outstanding job in making sure that your windows aren't too dark and your license plate lights are working. And don't even think about rolling 2mph above the speed limit. Not on Dudley's watch!
And BITCH as I may, there's no getting around it. Suck it up and pay it I guess.

I try and use craigslist to sell stuff before I hit ebay, but they limit the places you can post the same thing so it's a rather limited audience. The one thing you can usually be sure of on ebay is that your item WILL SELL. I can see craigslist being next on the tax hit list though.

So many things in life start out being fantastic for people, and then the GOVERNMENT STEPS IN and SCREWS IT ALL UP.

"We're from the government and we're here to help"... pfft... git the fuck otta town.