PDA

View Full Version : Airline Food

Guernicaa
09-09-2007, 04:18 PM
I'm pissed.
Why don't airlines serve food anymore?

On a flight from JFK to Tampa this summer, all we got was a drink and a bag of chips. I was so pissed off!!

The last time I flew this route I got a huge meal!! That was in 1998.

Is anyone else pissed off over the lack of hot meals on flights..or for that matter any food at all..???

Guernicaa
09-09-2007, 04:19 PM
Also, this was on US Airways.

Does anyone know of airlines that are still serving food (not snacks) on flights over 2 hours????

glockmail
09-09-2007, 04:50 PM
Shit. You want low fares so you reap what you sew. Only a liberal would complain thusly.

The airports have responded to the lack of meals and provide venders lower rent, so fast food restaurants are now widely available inside the secure area. Grab a subway or a big mac before you board, take it with you if you want, and away you go. the 100 bucks or so you saved on the flight more than pays for your meal and inconvenience.

diuretic
09-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Can I chip in (sorry for the pun Obama)?

The US (sans Alaska) is about the same size in land area as Australia so I know what you mean by flying long distances. We only have two main airlines which service the routes between the capital cities. One, Virgin Blue, which is a Richard Branson company (I've never flown with them) take their model from Southwest Airlines (which I have flown with several times) but apparently they're even more over the top with cabin staff antics (but I'll leave that for another time). They apparently cut costs and offered food at a price and apparently folks here were okay with that.

I must admit I wouldn't be fussed with no food on board. From where I live it's an hour by 737 to Melbourne (okay, no problem). Two hours to Sydney (still okay). An hour to Melbourne, change planes and 40 minutes Melbourne to Hobart (waiting at Melbourne Airport is usually a pain but it's well equipped so plenty of places to eat). Three and bit hours to Perth (now I'm getting toey), four hours to Brisbane and Darwin (sod the food gimme another beer!)

Qantas does the full food thing (after experimenting with sandwiches and pissing off their regular fliers) but you pay for it.

I'd prefer the cheaper fare I think.

Sitarro
09-09-2007, 08:45 PM
Also, this was on US Airways.

Does anyone know of airlines that are still serving food (not snacks) on flights over 2 hours????

Buy a first class ticket.

shattered
09-09-2007, 08:53 PM
I'm pissed.
Why don't airlines serve food anymore?

On a flight from JFK to Tampa this summer, all we got was a drink and a bag of chips. I was so pissed off!!

The last time I flew this route I got a huge meal!! That was in 1998.

Is anyone else pissed off over the lack of hot meals on flights..or for that matter any food at all..???

Over 2 hours? Oh, no.. How utterly tragic..

Why is someone else responsible for feeding you anyway? You're an adult.. Feed yourself. :)

Trigg
09-10-2007, 06:45 AM
It never tasted very good anyway. Not a huge loss.

Sitarro
09-10-2007, 10:23 AM
Like I said before when Jet Blue had it's problems last winter....... The public is to blame for the decline of service with most of the airlines, Continental still feeds you a sandwich, carrots and a mini candy bar....... The public is the ones forcing the airlines to compete with the cost of a Greyhound bus ticket and their costs are just a little heavier than Greyhound's. Jet Blue is real popular with the public until there is a screw up and your likeliness of a screwup is always increased when you fly on a discount carrier. They fly those lousy Airbuses because they were sold to them interest free by the Euros in an attempt to hurt the American industry and yet they still don't give you a meal....... they do have tv screens in every head rest though..... o'boy, video games!

There are unbelievable costs in maintaining an airline and the cost of a ticket should reflect that. Unions have labor costs at record highs, fuel cost is also at record highs, electricity costs are higher than ever while most things done with your bags are done with electricity, cities want more and more for landing fees and building leases, Boeing doesn't give away their planes, more routes to placate the public ads more cost and on top of that you want a hot meal, tv, to be able to yak on your cell phones, a rest room for every passenger, quick security checks, no waiting between flights and perfect weather. And you want all of that cheaper than you can possibly drive a Prius to your destination in 4 days and nights rather than 3 hours on a plane.

The public's demand are those of a bunch of spoiled, fat, bored, brats who are more boring than they are bored. Bring a piece of fruit, a good book and some comfortable shoes(not flip flops you idiots, what if the plane crash lands in a swamp and you have to walk out....geez) and look out the window. It's still pretty amazing that you and a couple hundred others can fly at 37,000 feet in an aluminum tube cruising over 500 miles an hour and get across our incredibly beautiful country in 4 hours, if it was a carnival ride you would pay premium prices for it.

jafar00
09-10-2007, 10:38 AM
Grab a subway or a big mac before you board, take it with you if you want, and away you go.

Man don't suggest that. The stench of a Big Mac being eaten by a passenger on a bus is bad enough. At least on a Bus you can open the window. On a plane you would be stuck with it for the duration.

glockmail
09-10-2007, 10:49 AM
Man don't suggest that. The stench of a Big Mac being eaten by a passenger on a bus is bad enough. At least on a Bus you can open the window. On a plane you would be stuck with it for the duration.
Not surprising that you would be turned off by a classic American meal. Perhaps you should stay in the mid-east, where you appear to belong.