PDA

View Full Version : Well... DAMN IT... Looks Like I Might Have To Bartend Again...

High_Plains_Drifter
03-03-2020, 01:49 AM
I've lived in this little burg for 32 years now, and back when I first landed here in 1988, right after I got back from living in Montana, a year after I got out of the Air Force, what does a guy do? Well, go to the bar to meet some people. First bar I went into I got hired on the spot to bartend. A one legged Marine cook owned the bar, liked that I was also a veteran. Who pops in after a few weeks but the guy who owns the big night club across the street, and he needs a bartender too, so I went over there. I sure couldn't complain since it was a big supper club / night club, and we'd have bands on the weekends and the place would be packed, and the tips were great. I worked 3 days a week and made more money than the guys I met that were slaving away in the factories here in town working 8 to 4 and weekend overtime. But I had bartended before in many different places, and now my reputation as a bartender has gotten it into Wendy's head that I need to work for her. She's a very attractive gal that I've known for some time that bought this old bar in town here and REALLY slicked the place up, it's nice, and she needs help. Problem is, and I told her, I can only sub, and only days, and I work for cash. Well, all good... I think... because I know once I get my license she's going to ask me to work more and more, and then I'm going to have to disappoint her, because I will NOT work a night shift. But we'll see. A little extra cash won't hurt, and I know all the people that come in, and it won't be strange for them to see me behind the bar... again.

Such is life.

SassyLady
03-03-2020, 06:51 PM
I've lived in this little burg for 32 years now, and back when I first landed here in 1988, right after I got back from living in Montana, a year after I got out of the Air Force, what does a guy do? Well, go to the bar to meet some people. First bar I went into I got hired on the spot to bartend. A one legged Marine cook, owned the bar, liked that I was also a veteran. Who pops in after a few weeks but the guy who owns the big night club across the street, and he needs a bartender too, so I went over there. I sure couldn't complain since it was a big supper club / night club, and we'd have bands on the weekends and the place would be packed, and the tips were great. I worked 3 days a week and made more money than the guys I met that were slaving away in the factories here in town working 8 to 4 and weekend overtime. But I had bartended before in many different places, and now my reputation as a bartender has gotten it into Wendy's head that I need to work for her. She a very attractive gal that I've known for some time that bought this old bar in town here and REALLY slicked the place up, it's nice, and she needs help. Problem is, and I told her, I can only sub, and only days, and I work for cash. Well, all good... I think... because I know once I get my license she's going to ask me to work more and more, and then I'm going to have to disappoint her, because I will NOT work a night shift. But we'll see. A little extra cash won't hurt, and I know all the people that come in, and it won't be strange for them to see me behind the bar... again.

Such is life.

Is Wendy your girlfriend?

Do you have a signature drink you make.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-04-2020, 06:58 AM
Is Wendy your girlfriend?

Do you have a signature drink you make.
Wendy is married, unfortunately.

I don't have a signature drink, but the most popular mixed drink around here when I bartended at the Blackhawk was a Brandy Old Fashioned Sweet. Other than that, probably Jack 'n Coke.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-04-2020, 10:02 AM
Well, she's dialed back on how desperate she sounds this morning, and I'm actually relieved. I told her, "I'm not looking for a JOB anyway." I'm only offering to stand in if you're in a pinch someday and can't find anyone.

I was kind of nervous she was going to need someone a little more than I was willing to work, and I'd have to tell her NO and that causing problems with a decent friendship.