PDA

View Full Version : Was on a mission today - Failed

jimnyc
03-04-2020, 06:16 PM
So, while not going crazy, just not taking chances with this virus. Even if like the flu, I would go out of my way to avoid that too. This one and the mortality rate is a little higher though. And with folks dropping in their 50's, and me being 51.... just not taking chances! LOL I think I'm fully healthy, had a full physical not long ago, so I guess I have that.

Anyway, started prepping everything as far as staying clean when going out. I have Purell in my truck for using and some paper towels. I have those real skin tight sterile gloves that doctors wear! I only have less than 100 though. But good thing....

As I do see we have a full bottle of lysol, nothing for my truck. And no disinfectant wipes. So I ventured out and just took care. But dang, 2 supermarkets and no signs of Lysol, Purell type gels or ANY thing really that says "disinfectant" on it! All gone. Dirty bastards. None on Amazon. Not unless you wanna pay retarded prices for no name brands from places charging then like $30 shipping! No thanks.

So if I must go out I can spray my truck every now and again. Nothing else besides that other than wearing the gloves. I guess I could wear one on my right hand for touching things and preserve more that way. And just toss them and wash up as well when I get home.

But I hope those wishing to at least clean things with disinfectant have it already!! Seems it just really can't be found. Probably some dirtbag bought them all and his hawking his shit on ebay! :laugh:

High_Plains_Drifter
03-04-2020, 06:38 PM
Went on Amazon, typed "purell hand sanitizer wipes" into the search window, and this is the page that opened...

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=purell+hand+sanitizer+wipes&crid=G1GV9J5YX15Q&sprefix=purell%2Caps%2C194&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_6

... and about shit my pants at some of the prices. I honestly didn't think Amazon would allow, GOUGING, on it's website, but evidently they do.

EDIT: AND, checking some of the items, even the ones insanely overpriced, they say... "CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE."

So I guess there has been a fair amount of PANIC BUYING already.

Drummond
03-04-2020, 06:58 PM
Went on Amazon, typed "purell hand sanitizer wipes" into the search window, and this is the page that opened...

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=purell+hand+sanitizer+wipes&crid=G1GV9J5YX15Q&sprefix=purell%2Caps%2C194&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_6

... and about shit my pants at some of the prices. I honestly didn't think Amazon would allow, GOUGING, on it's website, but evidently they do.

Do Amazon have much choice ? If they take action, sellers quit their business and sell elsewhere (Ebay, Etsy, etc ...).

But it's interesting. Wipes are easy to get here in the UK .. there's been no run on demand for them. For us, it's all about getting (or not getting) alcohol-based hand gels.

I bought a couple of bottles of Dettol hand wash, because Dettol advertise their products as being antiviral as well as antibacterial (Amazon UK is fast running out of them, last time I looked). I've now received my order. Nowhere on any of the bottles is 'antiviral' mentioned. So, I think I've maybe been conned.

I'm not too concerned. I have alternatives. Soap, many bars of it. Some have supposedly antiviral oils as part of their formulas, which may help. Also a couple of large bottles of Isopropryl alcohol solution to sanitise surfaces.

Then again, there's always Amazon.com (the American version). Or, eBay.com rather than eBay.co.uk ... or eBay.ca (the Canadian version). Etsy, too (perhaps ..).

See, that's the thing. You not only are in competition with your own people, but opportunist foreigners, too. Think of it .. us Brits, the Irish, the Canadians, the Greeks, any number of other countries' citizens, all thinking ... who in the world is most likely to produce plentiful supplies ?

So long as a Seller is willing to post abroad (or gets offers that'll provide a handsome profit), what Seller will refuse the offer(s) they get ?

Greed and desperation - a point you made - brings out the 'best' in all of us, eh ....

Drummond
03-04-2020, 07:13 PM

EDIT: AND, checking some of the items, even the ones insanely overpriced, they say... "CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE."

So I guess there has been a fair amount of PANIC BUYING already.

I have an account on Amazon.com. I bought a few bottles of 'Luxsea Household Disposable Hand Sanitizer Naturals' bottles, containing plant-based alcohol in their formula.

I just checked. Not only is no stock now available, but clicking on the link to the Seller comes up as 'Sorry, we can't find that page'.

Evidently, the Seller has sold his / her entire stock and left Amazon !! [I checked my 'orders' list, which confirms a shipment is on its way to me]. Price per 'travel sized' bottle was $7.59.

That was days ago. Now, no sign of the Seller.

It's crazy out there.

Kathianne
03-04-2020, 08:27 PM
I told you all a couple weeks ago. I didn’t go nuts, but have wipes, alcohol if really feeling like disinfecting, some basic food stuff and gloves.

SassyLady
03-04-2020, 08:33 PM
Went to Costco today to get our bi monthly paper goods ... paper towels, plates, bowls, napkins, TP, kleenex, etc. They were completely out of paper towels, TP and kleenex. YIKES!

Didn't seem like people were panic buying but I guess someone said we must need those things to survive this virus ...

Already have large supply of the disinfectant wipes. Carry them in my purse and I use them every time I go somewhere.

I did, however, panic buy some Snickers! Bought 6 of them .... LOL!

Kathianne
03-04-2020, 08:35 PM
Went to Costco today to get our bi monthly paper goods ... paper towels, plates, bowls, napkins, TP, kleenex, etc. They were completely out of paper towels, TP and kleenex. YIKES!

Didn't seem like people were panic buying but I guess someone said we must need those things to survive this virus ...

Already have large supply of the disinfectant wipes. Carry them in my purse and I use them every time I go somewhere.

I did, however, panic buy some Snickers! Bought 6 of them .... LOL!

We’re ready. I got hand sanitizer and chocolates a few weeks ago. The chocolate is for emergencies only!

SassyLady
03-04-2020, 08:36 PM
I told you all a couple weeks ago. I didn’t go nuts, but have wipes, alcohol if really feeling like disinfecting, some basic food stuff and gloves.

I have gloves, alcohol and masks from when I do my resin art. So, didn't need any of that. I use vinegar and Lysol to clean and disinfect. Have plenty on hand.

Bought large bag of rice and bag of beans today, just in case.

SassyLady
03-04-2020, 08:38 PM
Jim ...

If you weren’t able to snap up a bottle of hand sanitizer before stores sold out, you can make your own. You find the basic ingredients in any drug store and most grocery stores.
Here’s what you need:

2/3 cup Isopropyl alcohol 91% (rubbing alcohol) (https://www.amazon.com/Isopropyl-Alcohol-Solution-16-Ounce/dp/B06X3VCVRX)
1/3 cup aloe vera gel (https://www.amazon.com/s?k=aloe+vera+gel)
Essential oil in your choice of fragrance (optional) (https://www.amazon.com/ospublishing/story/406d9f8c-6500-48b1-8090-bd6afb0d3051/)
A small or medium mixing bowl
A spoon
An empty container, such as a 3-ounce container from a travel toiletries kit
A small piece of masking tape for labeling

https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavirus/2020/03/coronavirus-prevention-how-to-make-hand-sanitizer-at-home.html

High_Plains_Drifter
03-04-2020, 10:23 PM
I was just in the grocery store here in town today, and VERY glad that we have a grocery store in as small a town as we have, but I walked down the isle with all the TP and paper towels and paper plates and what not, and nothing was out of the ordinary, the shelves were all full. I honestly don't think anyone around here is any sort of panic. There is a Wal Mart 12 miles away, but I'm purposely staying away from there since they canceled school because the Flu was so bad in that town.

jimnyc
03-05-2020, 12:14 PM
Out of an abundance of caution, I allowed myself to get robbed a little.

On amazon I did find some "Clorox Scentiva" disinfecting wipes, 80ct, for 20.07 - and I see it's now $25 today!!

Then I got some on Ebay - I got (2) 10oz bottles of Purell gel for $30 and also 180 disinfecting wipes (3 packs) of medical anti-bacterial wipes for $6 apiece, $18 total.

Call me a sucker, but my hands and truck steering wheeling and my face gonna be virus free at least, or at least to the best of my ability!

Gunny
03-05-2020, 02:57 PM
So, while not going crazy, just not taking chances with this virus. Even if like the flu, I would go out of my way to avoid that too. This one and the mortality rate is a little higher though. And with folks dropping in their 50's, and me being 51.... just not taking chances! LOL I think I'm fully healthy, had a full physical not long ago, so I guess I have that.

Anyway, started prepping everything as far as staying clean when going out. I have Purell in my truck for using and some paper towels. I have those real skin tight sterile gloves that doctors wear! I only have less than 100 though. But good thing....

As I do see we have a full bottle of lysol, nothing for my truck. And no disinfectant wipes. So I ventured out and just took care. But dang, 2 supermarkets and no signs of Lysol, Purell type gels or ANY thing really that says "disinfectant" on it! All gone. Dirty bastards. None on Amazon. Not unless you wanna pay retarded prices for no name brands from places charging then like $30 shipping! No thanks.

So if I must go out I can spray my truck every now and again. Nothing else besides that other than wearing the gloves. I guess I could wear one on my right hand for touching things and preserve more that way. And just toss them and wash up as well when I get home.

But I hope those wishing to at least clean things with disinfectant have it already!! Seems it just really can't be found. Probably some dirtbag bought them all and his hawking his shit on ebay! :laugh:Not sure how it is where you are, but people are scarfing all that stuff up here too. However, the shelf was full of bottles of isopropyl (sp) alcohol. It just doesn't say disinfectant on the bottle, the base ingredient of most disinfectants. Sheeple are s-o-o-o trained :rolleyes:.

So I bought about 6 bottles :) I've always used it anyway. Hydrogen peroxide was also untouched. I don't bother with wipes and perfumey hand soaps anyway. When in doubt, gasoline will work.

jimnyc
03-05-2020, 03:05 PM
Not sure how it is where you are, but people are scarfing all that stuff up here too. However, the shelf was full of bottles of isopropyl (sp) alcohol. It just doesn't say disinfectant on the bottle, the base ingredient of most disinfectants. Sheeple are s-o-o-o trained :rolleyes:.

So I bought about 6 bottles :) I've always used it anyway. Hydrogen peroxide was also untouched. I don't bother with wipes and perfumey hand soaps anyway. When in doubt, gasoline will work.

Yeah, my wife called me an idiot and said she's saving headaches and just making her own. Came home with a ton of aloe and alcohol and other things you can still get. She knows the right mixture to do it the right way and claims it may be just as good as getting the purell. :dunno:

And yeah, gasoline should do it alright! Hands may be a bit smelly and dry, but virus free! And stay away from lighting some smokes!

Gunny
03-05-2020, 04:39 PM
Yeah, my wife called me an idiot and said she's saving headaches and just making her own. Came home with a ton of aloe and alcohol and other things you can still get. She knows the right mixture to do it the right way and claims it may be just as good as getting the purell. :dunno:

And yeah, gasoline should do it alright! Hands may be a bit smelly and dry, but virus free! And stay away from lighting some smokes!Ummm ...:smoke:

KarlMarx
03-07-2020, 04:21 PM
I guess I’m looking at this with a less panicked view than the news media.

Fifty thousand people died from the flu last year. That didn’t make the headlines. The COVID-19 virus has a 1 to 3 percent fatality rate. So, if you do get it, there are good odds that you’ll survive. According to the CDC, washing with plain old soap and water for 20 seconds, is a good preventative for this sort of thing.

Now for the panic part. My mom was talking about stockpiling food and meds for a month (!!!!!!!). Tomorrow’s her birthday and she told me she was afraid of getting COVID-19 from the birthday cake simply because I picked it up at Wegmans ( a grocery store chain for those who aren’t familiar with the name). I’ve had to bring her down to reality several times this week.

Why the scare? Do I need to say it? It’s the Democrats’ big chance to bring down the Donald in this election. And the lapdog news media are more than happy to oblige. Think about it

1. The Democrats have a great big zero on their scorecard of accomplishments for the average American voter over the past three years.

2. Their potential nominees are a choice between dementia (Joe Biden) and lunacy (Bernie Sanders)

3. Like Wiley Coyote of the Roadrunner cartoons, they have not, despite their best efforts, been able to get the Donald. Two years of the Mueller/Russia collusion hoax, a failed impeachment trial makes them look like the Three Stooges on a grand scale.

4. If the Dems were truly worried about COVID-19, why did they have their primaries in a business as usual fashion? Hmmm... see what I mean?

5. This virus must be the answer to their collective prayers. They are doing everything they can to make
the most of it. I’m surprised the Dems have’t attempted to get this virus to run for President.

6. But once the panic dies down, the final curtain goes down and the ballots are cast.... the Donald wins and they go home empty handed for 4 more years. And no one will remember this virus ...