View Full Version : What Newsom faces in aftermath of scandal

stephanie
02-03-2007, 03:04 PM
:uhoh:
SNIP:
Ambitious plans for city could be challenged by supervisors, police union
Heather Knight, Chronicle Staff Writer

Saturday, February 3, 2007

Embattled San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom's first major public appearance Friday -- at a celebration of Black History Month in the City Hall rotunda -- couldn't have gone better. Hordes of children clutched at his suit and asked for autographs, and the mayor clearly relished the positive attention. ;)
Waiting back at his office, though, was a quick reminder of the scandal in which he finds himself. Reporters threw questions at him.

"I'm back at work, and I'm going to focus on getting things done for the city," was all Newsom would say before walking into his office, the heavy wooden door shutting behind him.

Never one to focus on just the basics of potholes and Muni, Newsom has set an ambitious agenda -- including citywide Wi-Fi access, Police Department reform, universal health care, major development proposals, the restoration of public housing and getting more homeless people off the streets.

None of these would be easy for any mayor in an election year. Whether Newsom can advance his agenda after the revelation that he had sex with an aide -- the wife of his friend and campaign manager -- remains a big question.

"This mayor never had a hands-on style from Day 1, and the current situation certainly doesn't help things," said Board of Supervisors President Aaron Peskin, who has been a vocal critic of the mayor. "In the rough-and-tumble world of politics, political capital is everything, and objectively, scandals of any sort knock down one's political capital."

Eric Jaye, Newsom's chief strategist, said the mayor's agenda is so popular with the majority of San Franciscans that the scandal won't hamper his ability to achieve his goals.

"He didn't have the support of the majority of the board before, and he won't now," Jaye said. "But he has had success pushing for things that have great support with the public, and I think that will continue to happen."

Newsom already had suffered political setbacks in recent months. He learned that the 49ers were planning to move to Santa Clara, dashing the city's bid for the 2016 Olympics. The supervisors handed Newsom his first and second veto overrides on the issue of police foot patrols.

In January, he was mocked by people in chicken suits at a town hall-style meeting his political team had organized after he refused to participate in a monthly question-and-answer period before the supervisors that was called for in a nonbinding ballot measure approved by voters in the fall.

Now, Newsom would surely prefer that political theater in favor of what seems like an episode of "The Young and the Restless" unfolding at City Hall.

According to Corey Cook, a University of San Francisco assistant professor of politics who knows several of Newsom's staff members, restoring the trust of his political team and key administration players must be Newsom's first priority.

The mayor already is missing a key player: Alex Tourk, who resigned after learning of his wife's affair with the mayor. Other staff members feel betrayed by the scandal, according to sources.

"A lot of folks in that building were tying their own futures to the mayor's," Cook said. "All the buzz was about, 'Is he going to run for governor? Is he going to be president?' There are folks saying, 'It's worth all the time and effort because we're going places.' When something so politically reckless occurs, his staff people have got to be wondering, 'Is this somebody I should be spending 80 hours a week working for?'"
The rest of.....The Young and Restless at....
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/02/03/MNGR9NUBLU1.DTL

Abbey Marie
02-03-2007, 03:51 PM
Even Clinton didn't press is affections on the wives of staff members.
Or did he? :dunno:

Dilloduck
02-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Even Clinton didn't press is affections on the wives of staff members.
Or did he? :dunno:

I gotta feeling he didn't have to work at it very hard. Women sorta throw themselves at men like him.

Abbey Marie
02-03-2007, 10:42 PM
I gotta feeling he didn't have to work at it very hard. Women sorta throw themselves at men like him.

True for some, I'm sure. But there was Paula Jones, and of course, Katherine Willey:

"[Katherine] Willey had accused Clinton of sexually molesting her in a sensational interview on CBS’ "60 Minutes."
It was during a meeting with the president -- arranged so she could ask for a full-time job -- that Clinton allegedly fondled her and made sexual advances which she said she rebuffed. Later that day, Willey’s husband committed suicide."
http://www.newsmax.com/articles/?a=2000/3/30/60435