PDA

View Full Version : US Virus Rate Already Down to 1.4% – When Will WHO Director Be Held to account

jimnyc
03-19-2020, 02:43 PM
And I do think he should be. This is when a large amount of the panic began. I know for me, as I had many a conversation around home and on the phone. Given the flu rates, then hearing that this virus was more like 4%, that's what set me over the edge to start buying my disinfectant products and more.

I say fire his ass.

--

US Coronavirus Mortality Rate Already Down to 1.4% – When Will WHO Director Be Held to Account for Setting Off Global Panic with His Faulty Numbers?

The US coronavirus mortality rate dropped to 1.4% today using deaths (161) divided by confirmed cases (11,329).

That number is actually SIGNIFICANTLY lower if you factor in ALL OF THE CASES that are not being reported, where people are not feeling sick enough to be tested.

That number could be 6-7 times higher than the current number of 11,329.

As we have reported numerous times now…

The estimates based on current data are completely inaccurate. Current data shows that this virus is much less deadly that even the common flu from the 2019-2020 season.

The Gateway Pundit earlier this week reported that the controversial Ethiopian politician and Director General of the World Health Organization (WHO), Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, claimed in a press conference in early March that the fatality rate for the coronavirus was many multiples that of the fatality rate of the common flu. Ghebreyesus claimed the mortality rate of the coronavirus was 3.4%. This caused a GLOBAL ECONOMIC PANIC!

The controversial Ethiopian politician and Director General of the World Health Organization (WHO), Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, claimed in a press conference in early March that the fatality rate for the coronavirus was many multiples that of the fatality rate of the common flu.

This egregiously false premise has led to the greatest economic panic in world history.

Rest - https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/03/us-coronavirus-mortality-rate-already-down-to-1-4-when-will-who-director-be-held-to-account-for-setting-off-global-panic-with-his-faulty-numbers/

Kathianne
03-19-2020, 03:09 PM
Hmm, It's a 1.4 and rising, not falling. Flu rate is .01, which is why it has been said that the corona virus was 10X more deadly than the flu. The whole point in this huge change of being home, is to get that rate down.

The 4% was for elderly under certain circumstances I'm not remembering. Another group is was over 8%.

Seems Gateway is either playing loose with facts or hasn't had enough sleep.

jimnyc
03-19-2020, 03:37 PM
Hmm, It's a 1.4 and rising, not falling. Flu rate is .01, which is why it has been said that the corona virus was 10X more deadly than the flu. The whole point in this huge change of being home, is to get that rate down.

The 4% was for elderly under certain circumstances I'm not remembering. Another group is was over 8%.

Well, I mean that based on earlier estimates given, of about 3.4%, and that set about a large amount of panic.. And yeps, that 10x deadlier, same time of course, is what made me think "WTF". But then that was apparently shot down for the most part and talk of it maybe being no worse than the common cold. And then of course, things start changing as we get more and more results. Those testing is really the only true way.

I think they were taking China propaganda, Italy numbers, the slow USA numbers and then just guessing on top of that! That's why I have been ticked from the beginning with shitty "facts" coming out.

And yup, even worse with the poor elderly. I saw news reports and inside videos this morning from inside Italy. It seems like if the folks in the hospital are over a certain age, and not a good outlook, they are more or less comforted and left to die.

I still don't think they fully have a grasp and won't for awhile. But to go from dangerous, to emergency levels, to the cold, no worse than flu, and then the kinda obvious, true and higher numbers as kits come in.

I don't know where it's going to end up. But it's becoming more and more apparent that this is NOT less than the flu and we should be more worried about this than the flu. But at the same time, we do have to deal with those results in addition.

They/he shouldn't have used global numbers to scare the shit out of people prematurely. I think that's where he was wrong IMO. Rightfully scaring people, as this IS something to be scared of. It's becoming obvious more deadly than the flu. I just think high numbers were being tossed around prematurely. Hell, I think many still are, just now the media, which of course folks believe.

Kathianne
03-19-2020, 03:43 PM
Well, I mean that based on earlier estimates given, of about 3.4%, and that set about a large amount of panic.. And yeps, that 10x deadlier, same time of course, is what made me think "WTF". But then that was apparently shot down for the most part and talk of it maybe being no worse than the common cold. And then of course, things start changing as we get more and more results. Those testing is really the only true way.

I think they were taking China propaganda, Italy numbers, the slow USA numbers and then just guessing on top of that! That's why I have been ticked from the beginning with shitty "facts" coming out.

And yup, even worse with the poor elderly. I saw news reports and inside videos this morning from inside Italy. It seems like if the folks in the hospital are over a certain age, and not a good outlook, they are more or less comforted and left to die.

I still don't think they fully have a grasp and won't for awhile. But to go from dangerous, to emergency levels, to the cold, no worse than flu, and then the kinda obvious, true and higher numbers as kits come in.

I don't know where it's going to end up. But it's becoming more and more apparent that this is NOT less than the flu and we should be more worried about this than the flu. But at the same time, we do have to deal with those results in addition.

They/he shouldn't have used global numbers to scare the shit out of people prematurely. I think that's where he was wrong IMO. Rightfully scaring people, as this IS something to be scared of. It's becoming obvious more deadly than the flu. I just think high numbers were being tossed around prematurely. Hell, I think many still are, just now the media, which of course folks believe.

.01 is 10 times less than 1. That 10X was correct, at least 10X.

Don't focus on the numbers, focus on the curve. Italy waited too long, but eventually did what we are doing a bit earlier, though I think sooner would have been better.

I do wish people in stores would keep at least 6-12' between themselves or at least from me.

I do wish we'd all get masks, cause that would also help.

jimnyc
03-19-2020, 03:46 PM

I think I see a part of the difference. Many others, including him, stated this was global numbers for everyone was 3.4%, but I don't see it as only having been the elderly.

That was my problem, was that it was reported as worse than the flu and deadlier, but then many doctors in the USA and others started talking it down prematurely, and wrongly IMO. But then didn't take long after for Gebreyesus to come out with much more dire numbers. Then not long after that of course projections of deaths went through the roof. Then it went down, way down again. But many of us knew this wasn't the case and would obviously change when the amount of people get tested as needed. And sure enough, those numbers have since risen as folks have gotten tested. Kinda up and down on the map, but going back through that seems to be about the shitty timeline of things as far as percentages/rates. Quite bad, not as bad, shit ton worse 10x, then steadily talked down, and now accurate numbers coming in - but I don't think we can even get true valid numbers yet as it's early. And IMO, I think it ends up being a little higher. I hope I'm wrong!

jimnyc
03-19-2020, 03:51 PM
.01 is 10 times less than 1. That 10X was correct, at least 10X.

Don't focus on the numbers, focus on the curve. Italy waited too long, but eventually did what we are doing a bit earlier, though I think sooner would have been better.

I do wish people in stores would keep at least 6-12' between themselves or at least from me.

I do wish we'd all get masks, cause that would also help.

I think they also failed by doing a massive reversal on those masks. Now only a percentage have them and the medical community in some places may having issues with them. I DO think they are likely more effective than they are stressing. Hell, the CDC and WHO already have the N95 N99 and N100 ratings for a reason! But unless they mass produce them, and quickly... they just aren't out there anymore. Trust me, I tried!! LOL

Same with me at the stores - but hell I just move away or will go to another aisle and come back if I have to. I agree, there's like people crawling over the top of me to get a box of cereal!

I really wouldn't mind getting a reusable GOOD mask and a supply of filters. I honestly don't know how many we would need and for when? Looks like you can get the disposables in 50-100 packs, but how long would that last if we all wore them? Then you have the 3M types, but more expensive. Then the premium types that you see the celebs mostly wearing.

I think the next time I hit stop and shop, I go directly to the aisle where I can get a mop. Then if anyone comes within that 6' or so like you say - then it's time to pull a Game of Thrones and off with your head! :thumb:

Kathianne
03-19-2020, 03:55 PM
I think I see a part of the difference. Many others, including him, stated this was global numbers for everyone was 3.4%, but I don't see it as only having been the elderly.

That was my problem, was that it was reported as worse than the flu and deadlier, but then many doctors in the USA and others started talking it down prematurely, and wrongly IMO. But then didn't take long after for Gebreyesus to come out with much more dire numbers. Then not long after that of course projections of deaths went through the roof. Then it went down, way down again. But many of us knew this wasn't the case and would obviously change when the amount of people get tested as needed. And sure enough, those numbers have since risen as folks have gotten tested. Kinda up and down on the map, but going back through that seems to be about the shitty timeline of things as far as percentages/rates. Quite bad, not as bad, shit ton worse 10x, then steadily talked down, and now accurate numbers coming in - but I don't think we can even get true valid numbers yet as it's early. And IMO, I think it ends up being a little higher. I hope I'm wrong!

The vast majority of people fully recover. In the US, we're not even sure of how many have it and never knew it. From the get go, they focused on the elderly, especially those old and with chronic illness and anyone with chronic illness.

Right now Bill di Blasio is blabbing, he's solemn, it looks like he's going to give very bad numbers. If it's 'those infected' don't get worked up, it's the increase in testing. We are now in the noticeable exponential phase of the deaths too, so those areas at the front of the onslaught, may be moving to the big climb.

Truth is, Seattle got the headlines, BECAUSE those first cases and many deaths were from the nursing home. If it hadn't hit there, likely would still be small notice. NY is going to jump fast, simply due to numbers and density.

OK, just heard Italy's death rate is 10%-now remember that they have the oldest population in Europe, 2nd oldest in the world. What's concerning now is the rise they are having in younger people 20-40 getting ill, some dying.

jimnyc
03-19-2020, 04:00 PM
The vast majority of people fully recover. In the US, we're not even sure of how many have it and never knew it. From the get go, they focused on the elderly, especially those old and with chronic illness and anyone with chronic illness.

Right now Bill di Blasio is blabbing, he's solemn, it looks like he's going to give very bad numbers. If it's 'those infected' don't get worked up, it's the increase in testing. We are now in the noticeable exponential phase of the deaths too, so those areas at the front of the onslaught, may be moving to the big climb.

Truth is, Seattle got the headlines, BECAUSE those first cases and many deaths were from the nursing home. If it hadn't hit there, likely would still be small notice. NY is going to jump fast, simply due to numbers and density.

OK, just heard Italy's death rate is 10%-now remember that they have the oldest population in Europe, 2nd oldest in the world. What's concerning now is the rise they are having in younger people 20-40 getting ill, some dying.

I read a child died somewhere earlier. Damn, gotta go through my history to find it, reading so many articles. And while it appears it definitely affects the elderly much more - I still wouldn't want to chance it at any age!

Kathianne
03-19-2020, 04:02 PM
I read a child died somewhere earlier. Damn, gotta go through my history to find it, reading so many articles. And while it appears it definitely affects the elderly much more - I still wouldn't want to chance it at any age!
an 11 year old. Haven't heard much about that, he may have had underlying illness. Asthma, diabetes, etc.

KitchenKitten99
03-19-2020, 04:08 PM

Maybe but I came across this and it makes sense... testing might not really do much aside from accurate treatment for those who are in need of treatment. https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2020/03/18/the_perils_of_mass_coronavirus_testing_142693.html

KarlMarx
03-19-2020, 07:23 PM

I look at the CDC website each day and calculate the percentage myself. I’ve seen a steady drop in the mortality when expressed as a percentage over the past few days. It was nearly 2 percent a few days ago. The latest figures are... 10,442 cases reported, 150 deaths ... that is about 1.4 percent. The reason for the drop is that the number of reported cases is rising faster than the number of reported deaths.

By comparison, the flu has a mortality rate of 0.1 percent (one tenth of one percent).

Kathianne
03-19-2020, 07:31 PM
I look at the CDC website each day and calculate the percentage myself. I’ve seen a steady drop in the mortality when expressed as a percentage over the past few days. It was nearly 2 percent a few days ago. The latest figures are... 10,442 cases reported, 150 deaths ... that is about 1.4 percent. The reason for the drop is that the number of reported cases is rising faster than the number of reported deaths.

By comparison, the flu has a mortality rate of 0.1 percent (one tenth of one percent).
I know, I wrote .01 repeatedly, no excuse. .1 was meant, but my mind. . .

There is an increase in the numbers of deaths, the number infected is unknown. The numbers dying of all in hospital has kept rising.

Seattle though, where the spread started in the nursing home? They may be flattening the curve, they also started staying home and keeping their distance very quickly-so now we wait and see if the rest of the country also sees the trend.

pete311
03-19-2020, 08:23 PM
You guys are missing the problem. It's not the death rate, unless you're elderly. Just because it wasn't deadly doesn't mean it didn't require hospitalization. The problem is overloading the hospitals. If a gun shot victim or someone having a heart attack comes in and your ER is overloaded with coronavirus, your odds go way down. This is what happened in Italy.

Kathianne
03-19-2020, 08:51 PM
You guys are missing the problem. It's not the death rate, unless you're elderly. Just because it wasn't deadly doesn't mean it didn't require hospitalization. The problem is overloading the hospitals. If a gun shot victim or someone having a heart attack comes in and your ER is overloaded with coronavirus, your odds go way down. This is what happened in Italy.
Not missing that point at all.

jimnyc
03-20-2020, 08:42 AM

None of us are missing any points. Just too many points at this time and the country has a lot of catching up to do!

They say heart attacks, diabetes and other potentially deadly things may also get the back burner depending on the hospital and when.

But I would say that the death rate IS a problem though buddy. No different than folks mostly ignoring the flu lately after sooooooooo many years, but it kills. Now this on top of it, not replacing it. And I read too many articles lately of folks dismissing it in that manner, or saying "it's no different than the cold or flu" and going about their normal lives. But I DO see the death rate increasing as we get more tests out there and knowledge about this. From smaller estimates than to the huge potential death rate, then all the way back down to cold level again - and now somewhere much much higher than the yearly flu. And we still may not know everything we need to until we get more and more test kits out there and people tested.

And I saw more in Italy this morning and yep, their hospitals are nuts. SO many wearing these portable balloons on their heads for oxygen in order to equalize with the lungs. They are somewhat referring to this more as a pneumonia outbreak than anything.

Abbey Marie
03-20-2020, 09:05 AM
These portable oxygen bubbles do not bode well for panicky claustrophobics like me!

Maybe I’m not being objective enough, but I fail to see how any hospital could back-burner anyone having a heart attack. Death is death, whether from a heart attack or a virus.

jimnyc
03-20-2020, 09:13 AM
These portable oxygen bubbles do not bode well for panicky claustrophobics like me!

Maybe I’m not being objective enough, but I fail to see how any hospital could back-burner anyone having a heart attack. Death is death, whether from a heart attack or a virus.

I don't think I would last more than an hour in one of them. I am too a bit claustrophobic. And how the hell do you roll over in your sleep? I sleep mainly on my side.

And imagine being at a hospital with a loved on who is in the midst of a heart attack, and no beds available, and then you start feeling like you are even ignored, or you are outright ignored as they have too much to deal with?

"Sorry, I know you're having a heart attack and I know you have been here for 16 hours, but we have no beds and no doctors available. So just sit tight and clutch your chest..." :rolleyes: :( :(

jimnyc
03-20-2020, 09:24 AM
Sure, this gets tossed out as dire numbers get tossed out by many. The differing projections and who to believe right now is one of the main problems.

And much of it comes down to testing. Somewhat low projections in the beginning, then the nightmarish numbers over 3% tossed around, then back down under 1 again and cold/flu level, and now stands from THIS one anyone at 1.4%.

--

New Study Indicates COVID-19 Death Risk May Be Lower Than Previously Estimated

(CNSNews.com) – A study by infectious disease experts at the University of Hong Kong and Harvard University found that the probability of dying after developing COVID-19 symptoms is about 1.4 percent – significantly lower than the 3.4 percent estimate cited by the World Health Organization in early March.

The report comes as the number of deaths worldwide attributed to the novel coronavirus passed the 10,000 mark overnight.

A real-time database compiled by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering at Johns Hopkins University (JHU) reported early Friday a cumulative 244,500 confirmed cases since the outbreak began, with more than 86,000 recoveries so far.

The paper, submitted to a journal but awaiting peer review, looks at cases in Wuhan, the Chinese city where the coronavirus was first detected late last year.

Figures like the 4.3 percent cited by WHO on March 3 are based simply on dividing deaths by the total number of confirmed cases. As such, they do not take into account the many likely cases not known or not reported – the asymptomatic, undiagnosed infections.

(Using that simple measure of dividing deaths by cases, today’s JHU figures deliver a 4.1 percent rate worldwide. Using WHO’s latest figures, that rate for the 11 countries with the largest number of confirmed cases ranges from a low of 0.16 percent for Germany, to a high of 8.34 percent in Italy, with the United States towards the lower end of the scale, at 1.41 percent.)

Rest - https://www.cnsnews.com/article/international/patrick-goodenough/new-study-indicates-covid-19-death-risk-may-be-lower

Kathianne
03-20-2020, 09:40 AM

You wouldn't care if you needed that bubble. Pray, knit, drink. ;)

Abbey Marie
03-20-2020, 10:44 AM
Isn’t this cool? A priest riding around in the back of a truck blessing the neighborhood.

pete311
03-20-2020, 01:37 PM
lol blessing the neighborhood? next you're gonna pray the virus away.

jimnyc
03-20-2020, 01:49 PM

Can't just bypass huh?

MOST folks are taking this extremely seriously, and most folks are mostly coming together to help, share information, help get products out to the needy.

You lied that Trump called this a hoax, claim we are missing the problem somehow...

Eh, what's the point, I can't imagine any level headed speaking with you would matter, or have you be a part of those trying to work together, or at minimum share information.

Unfortunately I do see some out there more concerned with blaming others for crap and using all kinds of propaganda BS and taking advantage of things. Those things suck - both from the politicians and main stream media, and just as bad from us little people. I have a sneaky suspicion I know which side you fall on.

Abbey Marie
03-20-2020, 02:08 PM

Prayer is powerful. As is virology. Pretty handy combo, actually.

NightTrain
03-20-2020, 02:16 PM

Eat a dick, you miserable bastard.

In the middle of a fucking international pandemic and you would mock the only source of comfort and hope that billions of your fellow humans have relied upon for millennia, and turn to in these trying times.

You are beneath loathsome. Crawl back under your rock and stay there.

jimnyc
03-20-2020, 02:23 PM
Eat a dick, you miserable bastard.

In the middle of a fucking international pandemic and you would mock the only source of comfort and hope that billions of your fellow humans have relied upon for millennia, and turn to in these trying times.

You are beneath loathsome. Crawl back under your rock and stay there.

It's true, everyone have their own source of comfort at trying times. I don't think any of them should be mocked when folks rely on them the most.

se7en
03-20-2020, 02:25 PM
Simple question , How can people say the death rate is down if recovery rate is lower than the death rate

KarlMarx
03-20-2020, 02:48 PM
Simple question , How can people say the death rate is down if recovery rate is lower than the death rate

Answer: When the death rate is measured as a percentage ..... (# of deaths)/(# of total cases) x 100%

If the number of total cases increases faster than the number of deaths, then the death rate decreases

Example:

Assume that the CDC reports 100 deaths out of 5,000 total cases

(100 deaths / 5,000 total cases) x 100% = 2 %

if later on, the CDC reports 110 deaths and 7500 cases, then the death rate is

(110 deaths/7,500 total cases) x 100% = 1.47 %

So , if plug the numbers you posted above into the formula, the death rate is 1.3%

se7en
03-20-2020, 03:41 PM
Current numbers are just that , It is the end numbers that will count,

this has only been going on the last month or so in the US, this hasn't even cooked out yet it's still on Simmer and spread ,
Test kits were only made available on the 9 th smaller community hospitals Just received them this week ,

little data is out on reinfection and what the complications are from that ,
I has been said the reinfection would overwhelm the diminished immune system of the once recovered person ,

So yes people can feel safer with the number at 1.3 for now ,

they keep saying multi versions of this virus , mild and face plant , Malaria Drug may fix one , but they don't know if it will on all variant of it.
the Sky is not falling yet ,

just be safe about it , Step back and take a look at the big picture , and ask who dose this virus help .

KarlMarx
03-20-2020, 05:12 PM
My understanding is that once people recover from the virus, they have an immunity to it. Once they are immune, their bodies kill any COVID viruses they are exposed to and thus halt its spread.

That is how vaccines work, they give your body an immune response to the particular virus without becoming sick. By being immune, you stop being infectious and the virus cannot spread to others. This is known as “herd immunity”.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_immunity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NightTrain
03-20-2020, 05:31 PM
Not to be Eeyore, but I keep thinking about when and how this particular bug will mutate again.

It's already made two very large leaps in a very short amount of time - it mutated, allegedly, to make the jump from animal to human, then again very rapidly for the human-to-human jump.

It sure would be a great service to humanity if the Chinese would stop eating bats and reptiles.

This isn't the first epidemic bug they've unleashed upon the world with that disgusting fetish they have for consuming creepy crawlies.

KarlMarx
03-20-2020, 05:41 PM
Not to be Eeyore, but I keep thinking about when and how this particular bug will mutate again.

It's already made two very large leaps in a very short amount of time - it mutated, allegedly, to make the jump from animal to human, then again very rapidly for the human-to-human jump.

It sure would be a great service to humanity if the Chinese would stop eating bats and reptiles.

This isn't the first epidemic bug they've unleashed upon the world with that disgusting fetish they have for consuming creepy crawlies.

There's something to be said for that. In the Bible, the Israelites were forbidden from eating certain animals, including pigs, eagles, vultures, and, not surprisingly, bats... as well as anything that "creepeth upon the earth" e.g. snakes.

I think that these proscriptions were due in part to the fact that many of these animals were reservoirs of disease.

Maybe the Chinese government, which is very good at pushing its people around, should start a campaign of forbidding eating these animals.... but then, no, they are too busy making excuses for their monumental failure of containing this disease and fabricating urban legends about US manufactured bio weapons.

NightTrain
03-20-2020, 06:24 PM
There's something to be said for that. In the Bible, the Israelites were forbidden from eating certain animals, including pigs, eagles, vultures, and, not surprisingly, bats... as well as anything that "creepeth upon the earth" e.g. snakes.

I'm not a Bible scholar by any stretch, although I have read it cover-to-cover a couple of times.

Found this on Wiki :

In the
Torah (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torah) and in the Bible (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible), the book of Leviticus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leviticus) (11,13-19) forbids consumption of bat: "These you shall detest among the birds; they shall not be eaten, they are an abomination: (...) the bat."

I know it also is forbidden to eat pork, but I'm a big fan of pork, especially bacon. I'd probably change my mind and stop eating it, though, if American bacon consumption unleashed multiple international plagues.

Maybe the Chinese government, which is very good at pushing its people around, should start a campaign of forbidding eating these animals.... but then, no, they are too busy making excuses for their monumental failure of containing this disease and fabricating urban legends about US manufactured bio weapons.

Somehow, I missed this tidbit among the tidal wave of information about the Chinese Virus :

All wildlife trade in China, including bat meat, was banned in January 2020 in response to the coronavirus outbreak (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E2%80%9320_coronavirus_outbreak) which originated in Wuhan.[27] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_as_food#cite_note-27)[28] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_as_food#cite_note-28)[29] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_as_food#cite_note-29)

That's something good that's come out of China... if it's true. The ChiComs have a very terrible track record with regard to being forthright and honest.

KarlMarx
03-20-2020, 07:53 PM
I'm not a Bible scholar by any stretch, although I have read it cover-to-cover a couple of times.

Found this on Wiki :

I know it also is forbidden to eat pork, but I'm a big fan of pork, especially bacon. I'd probably change my mind and stop eating it, though, if American bacon consumption unleashed multiple international plagues.

Somehow, I missed this tidbit among the tidal wave of information about the Chinese Virus :

That's something good that's come out of China... if it's true. The ChiComs have a very terrible track record with regard to being forthright and honest.

Saying that the ChiComms have a terrible track record of being forthright and honest is like saying that Charles Manson was a poor dinner guest

The Chinese government is responsible for more deaths than Hitler, Mussolini, and Hirohito combined. So lying for them is like a batter warming up in the bullpen

It is way past time that we bring our businesses and industry home. If anything good will come of this , it will be that our China policy will change

NightTrain
03-20-2020, 08:52 PM
Saying that the ChiComms have a terrible track record of being forthright and honest is like saying that Charles Manson was a poor dinner guest

The Chinese government is responsible for more deaths than Hitler, Mussolini, and Hirohito combined. So lying for them is like a batter warming up in the bullpen

It is way past time that we bring our businesses and industry home. If anything good will come of this , it will be that our China policy will change

Couldn't agree more.

Something pretty sinister when you consider that a huge amount of our pharmaceuticals also come out of China - and then they threaten to cut off the USA from them.

Imagine that - they are responsible for this plague and then have the gall to threaten to cut off the medicine we've been stupid enough to allow to be made there. This after trying to blame the US Army for releasing this bug in Wuhan - that was a real slap in the face and inexcusable.

I certainly hope that after this all ends, America pulls out ALL industry from there. If nothing else, we need to ensure that our critical industries are kept domestic so that we're self-sufficient. Pharmaceuticals and medical equipment definitely need to be domestically produced, as these recent events have pointed out.

We're petroleum independent, finally, now it's time to bring the rest home.

KarlMarx
03-21-2020, 10:04 AM
The problem with our China policy is that it was supposed to change the Chinese government by bringing capitalism to its shores.

The thinking was that, once the Chinese people got a taste of the blessings of free enterprise, they would pressure their government to change.

The whole policy backfired. For one thing, the Chinese capitalist system is nothing like free enterprise. The government calls the shots. You do what they tell you, they have a controlling interest in your business, they do not recognize any rights to intellectual property (or any type of private property, for that matter).

The Chinese government is just as dictatorial as ever and, to make matters worse, they are being bankrolled by American companies.

I can see a huge backlash if and when we begin pulling out. For one thing, they may call our debt payment to them, which is huge (about 9.1 percent or 1.3 Trillion dollars).

I don't see a total withdrawal, but every bit helps.

Drummond
03-21-2020, 11:00 AM
Can't just bypass huh?

MOST folks are taking this extremely seriously, and most folks are mostly coming together to help, share information, help get products out to the needy.

You lied that Trump called this a hoax, claim we are missing the problem somehow...

Eh, what's the point, I can't imagine any level headed speaking with you would matter, or have you be a part of those trying to work together, or at minimum share information.

Unfortunately I do see some out there more concerned with blaming others for crap and using all kinds of propaganda BS and taking advantage of things. Those things suck - both from the politicians and main stream media, and just as bad from us little people. I have a sneaky suspicion I know which side you fall on.

To be fair to Pete .. he's just repeating propaganda that he, as a Leftie, is required to claim. This particular 'Trump called this a hoax' story is one that's stuck over here, and many people believe it. Our Left insists it's true (along with media outlets / presenters working for them, such as LBC).

Pete has his duty as a Leftie ... he cannot disappoint the Comrades, especially where an international effort is involved. It would be unfair of us to place pressure on him to depart from the Party line, considering the dutiful commitment his ilk feel in spreading that particular one.

On this 'does a mask help' question, our people are consistent in what they say. Generally, if used to protect against catching Covid-19, the answer is 'no', because the virus is such a small organism. Covid-19 just passes through the mask.

Ordinary masks have a very limited usefulness when it comes to an infected person spreading to others. But again, it's limited.

There is one mask out there which we concede IS useful .. the more specialised 'N95 respirator' one. Because the filter is 'heavy duty', they're supposed to be difficult to breathe through for long periods.

Over here in the UK, people are not generally wearing masks (the exception might be London, which is by far the hardest hit city .. had I gone ahead with my intended travel plans, I'd be reporting on that from just looking around me !). We're advised that not only are they not worth obtaining, BUT ALSO, that in getting some, we're taking away from those stocks intended for health workers, e.g the NHS's employees.

I don't know if that would also be true in the US. Our people argue that masks were only manufactured for the medical profession, so, any taken by the general public are creating a shortage where they're needed because of it.

I think this is a US source (?):

https://www.livescience.com/face-mask-new-coronavirus.html

Can wearing a medical face mask protect you against the new coronavirus? It's a question many people are asking, including pet owners who are putting canine face masks on their dogs.

If it's a regular surgical face mask, the answer is no, Dr. William Schaffner, an infectious disease specialist at Vanderbilt University in Tennessee, told Live Science.

A more specialized mask, known as an N95 respirator, can protect against the new coronavirus, also called SARS-CoV-2. The respirator is thicker than a surgical mask, but neither Schaffner nor the Centers for Disease Prevention and Control (CDC) recommend it for public use, at least not at this point.

In some Asian countries, such as Japan and China, it's not uncommon to see people wearing surgical masks in public to protect against pathogens and pollution. But those masks don't help much in the context of a virus, Schaffner said. "They're not designed to keep out viral particles, and they're not nearly as tightly fitted around your nose and cheeks" as an N95 respirator, he said.

"Could they be of some use? Yes, but the effect is likely to be modest," Schaffner said.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-21-2020, 11:41 AM
The problem with our China policy is that it was supposed to change the Chinese government by bringing capitalism to its shores.

The thinking was that, once the Chinese people got a taste of the blessings of free enterprise, they would pressure their government to change.

The whole policy backfired. For one thing, the Chinese capitalist system is nothing like free enterprise. The government calls the shots. You do what they tell you, they have a controlling interest in your business, they do not recognize any rights to intellectual property (or any type of private property, for that matter).

The Chinese government is just as dictatorial as ever and, to make matters worse, they are being bankrolled by American companies.

I can see a huge backlash if and when we begin pulling out. For one thing, they may call our debt payment to them, which is huge (about 9.1 percent or 1.3 Trillion dollars).

I don't see a total withdrawal, but every bit helps.
Oh for sure there would be push back against pulling everything out, because to some greedy bastards, money trumps everything else, even national security. They'd sell their own mother if they could make a profit. But if what they have farmed out to China is a national security issue, then they just need to be told bring it home or lose it.