PDA

View Full Version : This Republican Needs To Resign

Kathianne
03-19-2020, 09:58 PM
He should be prosecuted for insider trading:

https://www.greensboro.com/news/local_news/burr-gave-stark-covid--warning-to-private-group-weeks/article_3feca670-81e2-5c8a-81d6-f6c9d15871ee.html

Burr gave stark COVID-19 warning to private group weeks ago. Senator also sold stocks in hospitality industry, according to report
By Richard Craver Winston-Salem Journal 2 hrs ago

U.S. Sen. Richard Burr told members of a well-connected private group that the novel coronavirus would have dire effects on the U.S. economy and population, likening it to the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic that left millions dead, according to a secret recording obtained by NPR.

Also on Thursday, ProPublica reported that Burr sold between $628,000 and $1.72 million in stocks on Feb. 13, including in the hotel and hospitality industry.

The trading occurred six days after Burr co-wrote an op-ed piece saying America had tools in place to combat COVID-19 and seven days before the first major decline in the stock market.

Burr, a Winston-Salem Republican and chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, warned about the dangers of COVID-19 on Feb. 27 — the same day President Donald Trump downplayed the virus.

The audience was identified by NPR as the Tar Heel Circle, a nonpartisan group comprised of business leaders and entities. A membership in the group costs between $500 and $10,000 and the group claims on its website to offer “interaction with top leaders and staff from Congress, the administration and the private sector.”

Burr told the audience that “there’s one thing I can tell you about this, it is much more aggressive in its transmission than anything we have seen in recent history.”

“It’s probably more akin to the 1918 pandemic” that had 675,000 deaths in the U.S. and 50 million worldwide.

Trump said that day of COVID-19: “it’s going to disappear. One day, it’s like a miracle. It will disappear. It could get worse before it gets better. It could maybe go away. We’ll see what happens.”

Burr’s comments carry significant weight in part because he is author of the federal Pandemic All-Hazards Preparedness Act of 2006.

On Thursday, Burr spokeswoman Caitlin Carroll said that “Senator Burr has been banging the drum about the importance of public health preparedness for more than 20 years.”

She did not respond when asked about why Burr offered a stark COVID-19 warning in private, but hasn’t made similar comments to the public.

Hospitality stock sales
ProPublica reported Burr sold a large portion of his stock portfolio Feb. 13. The assets come from accounts that are held by Burr, his spouse or are jointly held.

Periodic financial disclosures are required to be submitted by U.S. senators.

Burr sold between $628,000 and $1.72 million of his holdings in 33 separate transactions. The publication Roll Call has listed his net worth at $1.7 million as of 2018.

Burr made his first statement on his Senate website about coronavirus in a Feb. 7 op-ed piece written with Sen. Lamar Alexander, R-Tenn., chairman of the Senate Health committee. At that time, there were 15 identified cases in the U.S.

“Senator Burr filed a financial disclosure form for personal transactions made several weeks before the U.S. and financial markets showed signs of volatility due to the growing coronavirus outbreak,” Carroll said.

“As the situation continues to evolve daily, he has been deeply concerned by the steep and sudden toll this pandemic is taking on our economy.”

The reporting documents showed some of the stock Burr sold on Feb. 13 included separate transactions valued at between $15,001 and $50,000, and between $50,001 and $100,000 of shares of Wyndham Hotels and Resorts.

On Feb. 4, Burr bought between $1,000 and $15,000 worth of stock in Extended Stay America, but also sold stock valued between $15,001 and $50,000 that same day.

On Feb. 13, Burr sold in separate transactions Extended Stay America stock worth between $15,001 and $50,000, and between $50,001 and $100,000.

Other companies whose stock Burr sold Feb. 13 in the range of $50,001 and $100,000 were biopharmaceutical company AbbVie Inc., automobile coatings company Axatla Coatings Systems Ltd., telecommunications company Centurylink Inc., insurer Everest RE Group Ltd., and alcoholic beverages manufacturer Constellation Brands Inc, Class A shares.

Multiple media outlets said there is no evidence that Burr sold the stock on the basis of any insider information gained from his chairmanship.

CNN reported that Congress passed the Stock Act in 2012, which made it illegal for lawmakers to use inside information for financial benefit. Burr was one of three Republican senators to vote against the bill.

‘Putting lives at risk’
On Twitter, Burr was accused of “putting American lives at risk to maintain allegiance to Trump,” because he didn’t make his warnings about COVID-19 publicly.

Scott Huffman, Democratic candidate for North Carolina’s 13th Congressional District, said in a tweet: “Shame on you for not stepping up and sounding the alarm so we could have started preparing then.”

Burr’s comments to the group came 13 days before the U.S. State Department issued a travel warning to Europe and 15 days before the president banned European travelers, according to NPR.

Gunny
03-19-2020, 10:18 PM
Not to worry, Kathianne. He's a Republican. Crucifixion to follow.

Kathianne
03-19-2020, 10:21 PM
and another R, but a she:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/sen-kelly-loeffler-dumped-millions-in-stock-after-coronavirus-briefing

Sen. Kelly Loeffler Dumped Millions in Stock After Coronavirus Briefing
TRADE IN
The Georgia Republican is the second senator who has gotten rid of their holdings right as the stock market went bad.

Lachlan Markay
William Bredderman
Sam Brodey
Updated Mar. 19, 2020 9:38PM ET / Published Mar. 19, 2020 8:49PM ET

The Senate’s newest member sold off seven figures worth of stock holdings in the days and weeks after a private, all-senators meeting on the novel coronavirus that subsequently hammered U.S. equities.

Sen. Kelly Loeffler (R-GA) reported the first sale of stock jointly owned by her and her husband on Jan. 24, the very day that her committee, the Senate Health Committee, hosted a private, all-senators briefing from administration officials, including the CDC director and Anthony Fauci, the head of the National Institutes of Health of the United States, on the coronavirus.

“Appreciate today’s briefing from the President’s top health officials on the novel coronavirus outbreak,” she tweeted about the briefing at the time.

That first transaction was a sale of stock in the company Resideo Technologies worth between $50,001 and $100,000. The company’s stock price has fallen by more than half since then, and the Dow Jones Industrial Average overall has shed approximately 10,000 points, dropping about a third of its value.

It was the first of 29 stock transactions that Loeffler and her husband made through mid-February, all but two of which were sales. One of Loeffler’s two purchases was stock worth between $100,000 and $250,000 in Citrix, a technology company that offers teleworking software and which has seen a small bump in its stock price since Loeffler bought in as a result of coronavirus-induced market turmoil.

Gunny
03-19-2020, 10:47 PM
Awesome. How many seats did the Republicans have over the Dems?

SassyLady
03-20-2020, 04:09 AM
I sold some stock in January after hearing about the virus on the news. Didn't need an intel briefing to determine the shit was going to hit the fan.

jimnyc
03-20-2020, 08:34 AM
The whole lot of them. I don't care how important they are. I said I'm tired of political antics over this virus, but with the economy going to be killed - I also don't want some assholes profiting in this manner aka cheating and corruption.

Unless they can explain this away, which I highly doubt.

--

Tucker Carlson: Richard Burr ‘Must Resign from the Senate and Face Prosecution for Insider Trading’

Thursday, Fox News Channel’s Tucker Carlson called on Sen. Richard Burr (R-NC) to resign after reports show he sold off hundreds of thousands of dollars in stock after signaling a warning to a group called the Tar Heel Club about the threat of the coronavirus.

The allegation is that Burr gave contradicting information publicly, downplaying the threat before his sell-off and may have had inside information given his position as the chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee.

“You may have seen news reports this afternoon that chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee sold more than a million dollars in stock in mid-February after learning about how devastating the Chinese coronavirus could be. He had inside information about what could happen to our country, which is now happening,” Carlson said. “But he didn’t warn the public. He didn’t give a primetime address. He didn’t go on television to sound the alarm. He didn’t even disavow an op-ed he’d written just 10 days before claiming America was “better prepared than ever for coronavirus.”

Rest - https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/03/19/tucker-carlson-richard-burr-must-resign-from-the-senate-and-face-prosecution-for-insider-trading/

Tucker Carlson: Sen. Burr Needs To Resign, Be Charged If He Can’t Explain $1.7 Million Stock Dump

Fox News host Tucker Carlson said Thursday that Senate Intelligence Chairman Richard Burr must explain why he dumped $1.7 million in hotel stocks after learning about the effects of the coronavirus.

The Republican North Carolina senator owes the country a good explanation or he should “resign from the Senate and face prosecution for insider trading,” Carlson, co-founder of the Daily Caller, said Thursday on “Tucker Carlson Tonight.”

NPR first reported the allegations against Burr.

Republican Georgia Sen. Kelly Loeffler also reportedly went on a stock-selling spree at the same time, allegedly unloading about $3.1 million in assets before coronavirus devastated markets.

Rest - https://dailycaller.com/2020/03/20/fox-news-tucker-carlson-senator-richard-burr-resign-1-7-million-stocks-hotels-coronavirus/

Senators Loeffler And Burr Caught Dumping Their Stocks After Private Meeting On Coronavirus Impact

Two Republican senators were caught selling off millions of dollars worth of stocks shortly after a closed-door Senate-only meeting forecasting the impact of the coronavirus pandemic, the Daily Beast reported Thursday.

Republican Georgia Senator Kelly Loeffler sold roughly $3.1 million in stocks she jointly held with her husband between January 24 and February 14, just before the disease put the stock market into freefall. Her colleague and fellow Republican North Carolina Senator Richard Burr sold off roughly $1.5 million of his own stocks in February as well, shortly before hosting a private meeting with wealthy constituents where he detailed to them the potential impacts of the virus, according to NPR.

Rest - https://dailycaller.com/2020/03/19/loeffler-burr-senator-sell-stocks-coronavirus/

jimnyc
03-20-2020, 08:55 AM
So, more...

--

Democrat Sen. Feinstein Also Sold Stocks After Closed Door Meeting on Coronavirus

You knew this was going to happen.
Last night news broke that Republican senators Richard Burr, Kelly Loefner, Ron Johnson and Jim Inhofe sold significant stock shares following a January 24th meeting on the coronavirus threat.

Well, as predicted, it wasn’t just Republicans.
Senator Dianne Feinstein of California also sold stocks after the meeting.

https://i.imgur.com/HLJI2PQ.png

https://i.imgur.com/p65mepH.png

Rest - https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/03/democrat-sen-feinstein-also-sold-stocks-after-closed-door-meeting-on-coronavirus/

jimnyc
03-20-2020, 08:56 AM
--

"It’s Absolutely False – I’m Only Informed of Transactions After They Occur in Several Weeks” – Sen. Kelly Loeffler Responds to Insider Trading Accusations

Last night Senator Kelly Loeffler (R-GA) was accused of dumping millions of dollars worth of stocks following a private briefing on the Coronavirus back in January.

“Appreciate today’s briefing from the President’s top health officials on the novel coronavirus outbreak. These men and women are working around the clock to keep our country safe and healthy.” Loeffler tweeted on January 24, 2020 — Loeffler reported her first stock sale (jointly with her husband) this very same day.

https://i.imgur.com/6dC57mV.png

Rest - https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/03/its-absolutely-false-im-only-informed-of-transactions-after-they-occur-in-several-weeks-sen-kelly-loeffler-responds-to-insider-trading-accusations-video/

FakeNewsSux
03-20-2020, 01:57 PM
The whole lot of them. I don't care how important they are. I said I'm tired of political antics over this virus, but with the economy going to be killed - I also don't want some assholes profiting in this manner aka cheating and corruption.

The virus crisis is just the crisis du jour, Senators and Congressmen have been getting rich by trading on their power for quite some time now. Why do you think these people spend millions of dollars each campaign cycle to hold onto their $175,000/year seat? The unique aspect of the current outrage (as Gunny immediately picked up on) is the number and party of Senators who are the latest scoundrels. Aint is just a coincidence that the number of Republicans that simply must resign tomorrow are just enough to swing control of the Senate back to the Democrats just in time to prevent a conservative successor to Justice Ginsberg?! Another happy coincidence is Sen. Ron Johnson just happens to be holding hearings on dirty dealings in Ukraine and the Biden's involvement. I'm sure the other 95% of Senators are squeaky clean in their stock dealings during this period, not to mention over 90% of the Congressmen. No need to look any deeper, we've already identified all of the criminals for you. It's unnecessary to put the Dem Majority in the House at risk.

Abbey Marie
03-20-2020, 02:18 PM
This needs to be put on hold, IMO, until the virus is dealt with. I expect heads will roll then.

Gunny
03-20-2020, 09:39 PM

--

Tucker Carlson: Richard Burr ‘Must Resign from the Senate and Face Prosecution for Insider Trading’

Thursday, Fox News Channel’s Tucker Carlson called on Sen. Richard Burr (R-NC) to resign after reports show he sold off hundreds of thousands of dollars in stock after signaling a warning to a group called the Tar Heel Club about the threat of the coronavirus.

The allegation is that Burr gave contradicting information publicly, downplaying the threat before his sell-off and may have had inside information given his position as the chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee.

“You may have seen news reports this afternoon that chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee sold more than a million dollars in stock in mid-February after learning about how devastating the Chinese coronavirus could be. He had inside information about what could happen to our country, which is now happening,” Carlson said. “But he didn’t warn the public. He didn’t give a primetime address. He didn’t go on television to sound the alarm. He didn’t even disavow an op-ed he’d written just 10 days before claiming America was “better prepared than ever for coronavirus.”

Rest - https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/03/19/tucker-carlson-richard-burr-must-resign-from-the-senate-and-face-prosecution-for-insider-trading/

Tucker Carlson: Sen. Burr Needs To Resign, Be Charged If He Can’t Explain $1.7 Million Stock Dump

Fox News host Tucker Carlson said Thursday that Senate Intelligence Chairman Richard Burr must explain why he dumped $1.7 million in hotel stocks after learning about the effects of the coronavirus.

The Republican North Carolina senator owes the country a good explanation or he should “resign from the Senate and face prosecution for insider trading,” Carlson, co-founder of the Daily Caller, said Thursday on “Tucker Carlson Tonight.”

NPR first reported the allegations against Burr.

Republican Georgia Sen. Kelly Loeffler also reportedly went on a stock-selling spree at the same time, allegedly unloading about $3.1 million in assets before coronavirus devastated markets.

Rest - https://dailycaller.com/2020/03/20/fox-news-tucker-carlson-senator-richard-burr-resign-1-7-million-stocks-hotels-coronavirus/

Senators Loeffler And Burr Caught Dumping Their Stocks After Private Meeting On Coronavirus Impact

Two Republican senators were caught selling off millions of dollars worth of stocks shortly after a closed-door Senate-only meeting forecasting the impact of the coronavirus pandemic, the Daily Beast reported Thursday.

Republican Georgia Senator Kelly Loeffler sold roughly $3.1 million in stocks she jointly held with her husband between January 24 and February 14, just before the disease put the stock market into freefall. Her colleague and fellow Republican North Carolina Senator Richard Burr sold off roughly $1.5 million of his own stocks in February as well, shortly before hosting a private meeting with wealthy constituents where he detailed to them the potential impacts of the virus, according to NPR.

Rest - https://dailycaller.com/2020/03/19/loeffler-burr-senator-sell-stocks-coronavirus/I can't say I agree. Playing the market is just another name for gambling to me, which I don't do. Not with money, anyway. Insider trading? Is that like having a spy behind enemy lines feeding you info? Don't have a problem with it.

More importantly, I see this as a play for the Senate. I doubt I need to remind anyone about the debacle that preceded the coronavirus? An impeachment trial. If the Dems control the Senate, it really won't even matter whether of not they impeach the President. They can just shut him down. Which we know they wont. The'll go after him.

I want to see what all the Dem Senators are doing and have them held to the same standards the self-righteous Right holds its own. If that's not going to happen then I'm all for calling them (R's) naughty and moving right along.

Kathianne
03-21-2020, 03:14 AM
I can't say I agree. Playing the market is just another name for gambling to me, which I don't do. Not with money, anyway. Insider trading? Is that like having a spy behind enemy lines feeding you info? Don't have a problem with it.

More importantly, I see this as a play for the Senate. I doubt I need to remind anyone about the debacle that preceded the coronavirus? An impeachment trial. If the Dems control the Senate, it really won't even matter whether of not they impeach the President. They can just shut him down. Which we know they wont. The'll go after him.

I want to see what all the Dem Senators are doing and have them held to the same standards the self-righteous Right holds its own. If that's not going to happen then I'm all for calling them (R's) naughty and moving right along.

The only D I've heard of and one caught before using her husband as an excuse then and now, Dianne Feinstein.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-21-2020, 08:56 AM
The only D I've heard of and one caught before using her husband as an excuse then and now, Dianne Feinstein.
That's awesome. Then all the R senators have to do is say it was their wife that sold their's.

Problem solved... :rolleyes:

hjmick
03-21-2020, 09:02 AM
I sold some stock in January after hearing about the virus on the news. Didn't need an intel briefing to determine the shit was going to hit the fan.

Yeah, but did you tell the American public that all was well while privately telling donors that the shit was going to hit the fan?

Kathianne
03-21-2020, 09:03 AM
That's awesome. Then all the R senators have to do is say it was their wife that sold their's.

Problem solved... :rolleyes:
Three R's now. 2 women, 1 man.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-21-2020, 09:08 AM
Three R's now. 2 women, 1 man.
And the democrat piranhas smell blood in the water.

The entire democrat deep state tries to unseat a sitting president with pure fabricated garbage, and when that doesn't work, they impeachment him over quadruple gossip hearsay by a person they still refuse to name... and that's... oh well... it didn't work... let's all move on.

But a couple R's sell off some stock, oh boy, it's another THE SKY IS FALLING story.

Yup, we all know how this goes. We've seen this movie a hundred times now.

Gunny
03-21-2020, 11:46 AM
The only D I've heard of and one caught before using her husband as an excuse then and now, Dianne Feinstein.You mean 1 on insider trading. What of the other various and sundry unethical/criminal crap at least half of all Dems pull on a regular basis?

If the Republicans are going to be held accountable for everything they say and do, so should the Dems. All I see the latter ever doing is holding the right accountable. I don't even care about what I consider a stupid law.

What I hold the Republicans in question, if guilty, responsible for is jeopardizing the future of this Nation for personal gain by placing the government in the hands of the Democrats. We have quite enough on our plate as it is without THAT carnival side show.

Kathianne
03-21-2020, 01:58 PM
You mean 1 on insider trading. What of the other various and sundry unethical/criminal crap at least half of all Dems pull on a regular basis?

If the Republicans are going to be held accountable for everything they say and do, so should the Dems. All I see the latter ever doing is holding the right accountable. I don't even care about what I consider a stupid law.

What I hold the Republicans in question, if guilty, responsible for is jeopardizing the future of this Nation for personal gain by placing the government in the hands of the Democrats. We have quite enough on our plate as it is without THAT carnival side show.
Yeah, imagine that. I was only discussing the topic, not the general inferiority of liberals. We know they are all shit smelling, ignorant, cheating, commie bastards. :rolleyes:

Drummond
03-21-2020, 02:09 PM
Yeah, imagine that. I was only discussing the topic, not the general inferiority of liberals. We know they are all shit smelling, ignorant, cheating, commie bastards. :rolleyes::laugh::laugh::clap::clap::clap::clap::c lap::saluting2:

FakeNewsSux
03-21-2020, 02:45 PM
Yeah, imagine that. I was only discussing the topic, not the general inferiority of liberals. We know they are all shit smelling, ignorant, cheating, commie bastards. :rolleyes:

No need for the passive-aggressiveness. Gunny was also simply discussing the topic. The difference was that you chose to discuss the topic strictly within the constraints established by the Democrat propaganda machine otherwise known as the mainstream media. Gunny chose to address the topic in a more holistic way, incorporating not only recent reporting but also current events and long term history.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-21-2020, 03:11 PM
Are you trying to copy me? ... :rolleyes: ... :laugh:

Gunny
03-21-2020, 07:41 PM
Yeah, imagine that. I was only discussing the topic, not the general inferiority of liberals. We know they are all shit smelling, ignorant, cheating, commie bastards. :rolleyes:Yeah, imagine. Addressing accountability in a thread demanding people be held accountable. I just don't cherry pick my criminals.:rolleyes:

Kathianne
03-21-2020, 09:02 PM
Yeah, imagine. Addressing accountability in a thread demanding people be held accountable. I just don't cherry pick my criminals.:rolleyes:
Whatever Gunny.

jimnyc
03-22-2020, 11:55 AM
IMO, I think at minimum they need to have an ethics investigation about all four. Perhaps they are innocent, perhaps not. But if I got busted for insider trading? So the details matter.

If they DID in fact do so say minutes after a critical yet confidential meeting, well that's a bit hard to explain. But one of the ladies claims she has no involvement and outside agents do all of her trading with her money. I don't know how true and how much input she does have, or did have during this, but if that's the truth then that is also legit. It will be very hard to tie the meetings and the trades together. But I do think it's worthy of looking into. And if they can put it together, then off with their heads.

Kathianne
03-22-2020, 12:05 PM
imo, i think at minimum they need to have an ethics investigation about all four. Perhaps they are innocent, perhaps not. But if i got busted for insider trading? So the details matter.

If they did in fact do so say minutes after a critical yet confidential meeting, well that's a bit hard to explain. But one of the ladies claims she has no involvement and outside agents do all of her trading with her money. I don't know how true and how much input she does have, or did have during this, but if that's the truth then that is also legit. It will be very hard to tie the meetings and the trades together. But i do think it's worthy of looking into. And if they can put it together, then off with their heads.

doj

FakeNewsSux
03-22-2020, 12:09 PM
IMO, I think at minimum they need to have an ethics investigation about all four. Perhaps they are innocent, perhaps not. But if I got busted for insider trading? So the details matter.

If they DID in fact do so say minutes after a critical yet confidential meeting, well that's a bit hard to explain. But one of the ladies claims she has no involvement and outside agents do all of her trading with her money. I don't know how true and how much input she does have, or did have during this, but if that's the truth then that is also legit. It will be very hard to tie the meetings and the trades together. But I do think it's worthy of looking into. And if they can put it together, then off with their heads.

That's the problem with the Congress writing their own rules of behavior. These folks are all lawyers and will write rules vague enough that you can do what you wish in perpetuity because ultimately the final judgement will be made in the House and Senate ethics committees. And seeing how ethical members of Congress are, we all know that these Committees are doing a bang up job.

The only real solution is to require that all members of Congress establish a Blind Trust for all personal holdings for the duration of their service. And for good measure slap term limits on them to make clear that public service is not a means to guarantee a pathway to building personal wealth.

jimnyc
03-22-2020, 12:16 PM
That's the problem with the Congress writing their own rules of behavior. These folks are all lawyers and will write rules vague enough that you can do what you wish in perpetuity because ultimately the final judgement will be made in the House and Senate ethics committees. And seeing how ethical members of Congress are, we all know that these Committees are doing a bang up job.

The only real solution is to require that all members of Congress establish a Blind Trust for all personal holdings for the duration of their service. And for good measure slap term limits on them to make clear that public service is not a means to guarantee a pathway to building personal wealth.

My Dad and I discussed this earlier and we agreed that ALL politicians should have to sell of all of their stocks before office and cannot own them during their terms. They proved over time why this is necessary, IMO.

Drummond
03-22-2020, 12:22 PM
Are you trying to copy me? ... :rolleyes: ... :laugh:

-- No bad thing, I suggest !! .. :rolleyes::rolleyes: ... :laugh:

Gunny
03-22-2020, 02:07 PM
Whatever Gunny.That's about what I was thinking about your uncalled for response.