PDA

View Full Version : Suppress the message from the President

jimnyc
03-21-2020, 12:09 PM
That's exactly what they are calling for. They are claiming he us lying about things related to this virus and it will cost lives, so they are boycotting things related to him and the virus. As if they don't already ignore so many damned things.

This will only serve to lessen the words getting out to the people. With everything going on now - I literally couldn't care less about Trump's rating or numbers, or even the election for now. None of that will help keep me alive and/or know what to do should I get sick.

I don't see these lies. Maybe differences, or wanting to rush too quickly to help people. But I think he has went above and beyond in spending time on this and ensuring everyone has what they need or need access to. And this false hope is bullshit. The talk was out there about this new medication and it actually working. Trump would prefer to fast track it, but others point out the inevitable delays. But that's not lying, that's pointing out a drug that may work, and he wants out sooner than later. This is really irritating me that the left is working more on politics right now and bashing Trump, and less on the people and what is expected and what we can do.

--

As Trump Approval Soars, Rachel Maddow and Others In Media Call for Blackout of President’s Coronavirus Briefings

Three polls released late this week show a majority of Americans approve of President Trump’s handling of the COVID-19 Chinese coronavirus crisis. The approval numbers have risen as as Trump has led daily televised press briefings on the government’s response to the virus. By coincidence a call has gone out by liberals, led by MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow, for a media blackout of the briefings because they say Trump will get people killed because of his rhetoric.

The ABC News/ Ipsos poll has Trump up at 55 percent, the Harris poll at 53 percent and Survey USA at 51 percent.

The calls for the blackout also come as reporters are making spectacles of themselves with gotcha questions such as whether it is racist to use the term ‘Chinese virus’ when the virus originated in the Chinese city of Wuhan, or asking Trump if he his giving people false hope.

Maddow on her MSNBC show Friday night, “Maddow: If Trump is going to keep lying like he has been every day on stuff this important, we should, all of us, stop broadcasting it. Honestly, it’s going to cost lives.”

Jay Rosen, journalism professor at NYU wrote at his NYU blog PressThink an imaginary statement from a broadcast executive on not covering Trump’s briefings:

Even this far into his term, it is still a bit of a shock to be reminded that the single most potent force for misinforming the American public is the current president of the United States. For three years this has been a massive — and unsolved — problem for the country and its political leadership.

But now it is life and death. On everything that involves the coronavirus Donald Trump’s public statements have been unreliable. And that is why today we announce that we are shifting our coverage of the President to an emergency setting.

This means we are exiting from the normal system for covering presidents— which Trump himself exited long ago by using the microphone we have handed him to spread thousands of false claims, even as he undermines trust in the presidency and the press. True: he is not obliged to answer our questions. But neither are we obligated to assist him in misinforming the American people about the spread of the virus, and what is actually being done by his government.

…Switching to emergency mode means our coverage will look different and work in a different way, as we try to prevent the President from misinforming you through us. Here are the major changes:

* We will not cover live any speech, rally, or press conference involving the president. The risk of passing along bad information is too great. Instead, we will attend carefully to what he says. If we can independently verify any important news he announces we will bring that to you— after the verification step.

* We plan to suspend normal relations with the Trump White House. That means we won’t be attending briefings. (We can watch them on TV.) We won’t gather around him as he departs in his helicopter. We won’t join in any off-the-record “background” sessions with Administration officials. We won’t enter into agreements of any kind with the Trump team, which includes those nameless “senior advisers” who mysteriously show up in news stories…End excerpt

The Boston Globe’s Michael Cohen op-ed on Friday headlined, “Trump is spreading misinformation about the coronavirus — time to take away his microphone”

The Nation’s Elie Mystal article headlined “The Media Is Helping Spread Trump’s Coronavirus Racism
It’s time for every major media outlet to stop disseminating Trump’s hate—and stop repeating his racist nicknames for the virus.”

Salon’s Bob Cesca, “Stop airing these press conferences — all of you. Between raging on Peter Alexander or his repeated use of the bigoted “Chinese Virus,” Trump has proved that he’s just as damaging and unserious as he’s always been. DO NOT REPEAT 2016.”

Rest - https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/03/as-trump-approval-soars-rachel-maddow-and-others-in-media-call-for-blackout-of-presidents-coronavirus-briefings/

High_Plains_Drifter
03-21-2020, 12:45 PM
OMFG... this TDS amongst the DEMOCRAT PROPAGANDA WING has gone from just being STUPID to being ASININE.

Hopefully the normal people in America see these IDIOT CLOWNS for what they are, UNHINGED ULTRA PARTISAN RETARDED DAMN FREAKS.

Drummond
03-21-2020, 02:19 PM
I am from the UK. I am 'being racist' when I say this.

President Trump correctly identified the coronavirus as being from China. He is being 'equally racist' when he says so.

Just as well that Brits can't fly to the US, currently ... we can't run the risk of any shockingly non-PC American catching my BRITISH cold (if I had one) !!

If I ever do travel to the States in future, I will give my cold a good ticking off for its racist act in travelling with me !

Perhaps I'll ask it for its passport.

Kathianne
03-21-2020, 02:43 PM
For the most part, President Trump has been masterful in his handling of the crisis in the past week. As Jim mentioned, he may have gone to a bit of hyperbole, especially with tweeting on anti-malarial, but he has excellent people that have been dealing with this even when it appeared he was only fixated on the economic aspect of the crisis.

He's been reassuring to the people; he's kept the focus on keeping the people safe and having leaders explaining what each part of the committee is doing. He's made it clear that they are doing everything possible and some things that would have looked impossible.

That is why his approval rating keeps rising.

Kathianne
03-21-2020, 02:54 PM
For the most part, President Trump has been masterful in his handling of the crisis in the past week. As Jim mentioned, he may have gone to a bit of hyperbole, especially with tweeting on anti-malarial, but he has excellent people that have been dealing with this even when it appeared he was only fixated on the economic aspect of the crisis.

He's been reassuring to the people; he's kept the focus on keeping the people safe and having leaders explaining what each part of the committee is doing. He's made it clear that they are doing everything possible and some things that would have looked impossible.

That is why his approval rating keeps rising. FakeNewsSux is that what you mean by holistic view? :rolleyes:

jimnyc
03-21-2020, 03:07 PM

That is why his approval rating keeps rising.

Probably behind the scenes there is too much talk of "reassuring" the public and stamp out any panic. But when delivering such messages they/he need to be mindful of folks getting locked down and having serious expectations from what we all hear.

I also give credit to the states. I detest Cuomo, and he hasn't been perfect through this, but I do think he has made a lot of quick decisions and tough ones. Up close and personal and seeing how he's handing things when I see him on TV, and watching New Rochelle and now all the surrounding cities, he has done a good job. I suppose I would say the same for all the other governors, and mostly appears that way - but I know they are all erring on the side of caution right now and trying to protect us.

FakeNewsSux
03-21-2020, 03:20 PM
@FakeNewsSux (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=3879) is that what you mean by holistic view? :rolleyes:

Most certainly!

Kathianne
03-21-2020, 03:22 PM
Probably behind the scenes there is too much talk of "reassuring" the public and stamp out any panic. But when delivering such messages they/he need to be mindful of folks getting locked down and having serious expectations from what we all hear.

I also give credit to the states. I detest Cuomo, and he hasn't been perfect through this, but I do think he has made a lot of quick decisions and tough ones. Up close and personal and seeing how he's handing things when I see him on TV, and watching New Rochelle and now all the surrounding cities, he has done a good job. I suppose I would say the same for all the other governors, and mostly appears that way - but I know they are all erring on the side of caution right now and trying to protect us.

I've said before, Cuomo was a surprise to me, I've disliked him for many years, but he's come through as a leader. Then again, he's playing clean up for DeBlasio. Who's dumber than a rock and thus oblivious to what a genuine ass he is.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-21-2020, 03:53 PM
I'll tell ya what... I wouldn't want to be a reporter or journalist, but especially since this virus crap has hit, the news been NON STOP, FULL BLOWN, NOTHING BUT, 24/7 CORONA VIRUS coverage, and I don't know how they can fixate on the SAME THING, 24/7, non stop, day in day out, for THIS long, let alone continuing into the future.

I don't know if they think they're doing the public some kind of service with this non stop virus coverage, but for Christ sake, ONE story here and there that ISN'T about the pandemic might ALSO do people some GOOD, get their mind off it.

jimnyc
03-21-2020, 03:54 PM
I've said before, Cuomo was a surprise to me, I've disliked him for many years, but he's come through as a leader. Then again, he's playing clean up for DeBlasio. Who's dumber than a rock and thus oblivious to what a genuine ass he is.

Deblasio has turned out to be exactly what I expected from him. :(

Cuomo is still no hero and I still wouldn't vote for him, but he has in fact done a good to great job thus far in handling & coordinating efforts here in NY as well as communicating with all of us pretty well.

Kathianne
03-21-2020, 04:07 PM
The criticisms about the President are not working out the way the left would like. Meanwhile, seems actions are what is driving his numbers, not his medical knowledge:

https://justthenews.com/government/white-house/trumps-approval-rating-soars-during-handling-coronavirus

Trump's approval rating soars during handling of Coronavirus
The president's approval rating now at 55 percent, shows new poll

ew polling Friday showed President Trump’s approval ratings among Americans have soared during the coronavirus crisis, including his handling of the pandemic response and the economy

A new Axios-Harris poll, released Friday, showed the president with an 53 percent overall approval among U.S. adults surveyed March 17 and 18, compared to 49 percent among those polled March 14 and 15.

Fifty-six percent of respondents in the latest poll said they approved of the president’s handling of the coronavirus outbreak, an increase from 51 percent last week. And 60 percent of Americans this week said they approved of the president’s handling of the economy, a slight increase from 59 percent last week.

Despite stock market declines and rising unemployment figures released this week, the president’s approval rating for “Stimulating Jobs,” remained unchanged at 60 percent among both groups polled.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-21-2020, 04:16 PM
The criticisms about the President are not working out the way the left would like. Meanwhile, seems actions are what is driving his numbers, not his medical knowledge:

https://justthenews.com/government/white-house/trumps-approval-rating-soars-during-handling-coronavirus
This really isn't surprising to me at all. I mean, the virus is NOT his FAULT, so you can't hold what's happening because of it against him.

And he is doing an outstanding job trying to coordinate and keep things under control. I really don't think anyone else could do any better. Thank God he is who is, a non smoker, non drinker, workaholic that loves America.

But the unhinged members of the democrat propaganda wing JUST... DON'T... GET IT. They are too CONSUMED with their HATE of him that they're just BLIND to the consequences of their continued BASHING and TRASHING of him, even though the vast majority of Americans are very happy to have him in the White House. I mean, honest to God, what the hell is wrong with these leftists? What IS their MAIN BEEF? Why are they SO, DAMN, ANGRY and full of HATE?

I don't get it.

Kathianne
03-21-2020, 04:21 PM
This really isn't surprising to me at all. I mean, the virus is NOT his FAULT, so you can't hold what's happening because of it against him.

And he is doing an outstanding job trying coordinate and keep things under control. I really don't think anyone else could do any better. Thank God he is who is, a non smoker, non drinker, workaholic that loves America.

Right, not his fault.

That you truly love and admire, you've made that clear.

Point is, there are reasons some others that aren't keen on the man can still see when he's doing something right. In my own case, could see when the other side went so far that they were and are undermining our system of government.

I just think some of his supporters would do better to be more clear eyed in his weaknesses and not just his strengths. 2 termer GW wasn't above being criticized, it actually led to his legitimacy.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-21-2020, 04:25 PM
Right, not his fault.

That you truly love and admire, you've made that clear.

Point is, there are reasons some others that aren't keen on the man can still see when he's doing something right. In my own case, could see when the other side went so far that they were and are undermining our system of government.

I just think some of his supporters would do better to be more clear eyed in his weaknesses and not just his strengths. 2 termer GW wasn't above being criticized, it actually led to his legitimacy.
I do believe I'm on record being very critical of Trump several times here already, and I'll willfully admit he can be braggadocios and over toot his own horn a little too much sometimes, but that's just who he is. It's basically harmless, and if people can't get past that than I'd say they're just being overly critical of him because they don't like him. That would be 99.9% of democrats. They truly have nothing else to bitch about, so they keep attacking him personally, and that doesn't play well with most Americans.

Kathianne
03-21-2020, 04:29 PM
I do believe I'm on record being very critical of Trump several times here already, and I'll willfully admit he can be braggadocios and over toot his own horn a little too much sometimes, but that's just who he is. It's basically harmless, and if people can't get past that than I'd say they're just being overly critical of him because they don't like him. That would be 99.9% of democrats. They truly have nothing else to bitch about, so they keep attacking him personally, and that doesn't play well with most Americans.

Even this morning, one of the acolytes once again accused me of being in lockstep with 'liberal agenda.' LOL! Ignorance of what it all means just makes me lol!

High_Plains_Drifter
03-21-2020, 04:34 PM
Even this morning, one of the acolytes once again accused me of being in lockstep with 'liberal agenda.' LOL! Ignorance of what it all means just makes me lol!
Well... I guess it wouldn't hurt any of us to have a good lol about now. I think we all might be a little uptight over this dang virus... except me... I'm totally cool... :laugh:

Kathianne
03-21-2020, 04:36 PM
Well... I guess it wouldn't hurt any of us to have a good lol right now. I think we all might be a little uptight over this dang virus... except me... I'm totally cool... :laugh:

I laugh at the ignorance, not at the push to put idiots in office or in majority. It's sad.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-21-2020, 04:44 PM
I laugh at the ignorance, not at the push to put idiots in office or in majority. It's sad.
I know... I got it... I'm just keepin' it light.

Abbey Marie
03-21-2020, 05:02 PM
Back to the OP's point, the MSM does not truly believe in freedom of press or speech. Only when the press or speech is politically acceptable to them.

Shameful, really.

Kathianne
03-21-2020, 05:09 PM
Back to the OP's point, the MSM does not truly believe in freedom of press or speech. Only when the press or speech is politically acceptable to them.

Shameful, really.

For the most part, the president has been given the most positive marks from the MSM of any issues he's taken on. The public is giving him even higher marks.

I think the right jumping on every negative story, especially from the likes of Maddow, risk the backlash of turning something non-political, political. It was the Dems over the top attacks and disrespect that turned me towards voting for Trump in November. Copying them would probably not be a good plan.

Gunny
03-21-2020, 06:58 PM
That's exactly what they are calling for. They are claiming he us lying about things related to this virus and it will cost lives, so they are boycotting things related to him and the virus. As if they don't already ignore so many damned things.

This will only serve to lessen the words getting out to the people. With everything going on now - I literally couldn't care less about Trump's rating or numbers, or even the election for now. None of that will help keep me alive and/or know what to do should I get sick.

I don't see these lies. Maybe differences, or wanting to rush too quickly to help people. But I think he has went above and beyond in spending time on this and ensuring everyone has what they need or need access to. And this false hope is bullshit. The talk was out there about this new medication and it actually working. Trump would prefer to fast track it, but others point out the inevitable delays. But that's not lying, that's pointing out a drug that may work, and he wants out sooner than later. This is really irritating me that the left is working more on politics right now and bashing Trump, and less on the people and what is expected and what we can do.

--

As Trump Approval Soars, Rachel Maddow and Others In Media Call for Blackout of President’s Coronavirus Briefings

Three polls released late this week show a majority of Americans approve of President Trump’s handling of the COVID-19 Chinese coronavirus crisis. The approval numbers have risen as as Trump has led daily televised press briefings on the government’s response to the virus. By coincidence a call has gone out by liberals, led by MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow, for a media blackout of the briefings because they say Trump will get people killed because of his rhetoric.

The ABC News/ Ipsos poll has Trump up at 55 percent, the Harris poll at 53 percent and Survey USA at 51 percent.

The calls for the blackout also come as reporters are making spectacles of themselves with gotcha questions such as whether it is racist to use the term ‘Chinese virus’ when the virus originated in the Chinese city of Wuhan, or asking Trump if he his giving people false hope.

Maddow on her MSNBC show Friday night, “Maddow: If Trump is going to keep lying like he has been every day on stuff this important, we should, all of us, stop broadcasting it. Honestly, it’s going to cost lives.”

Jay Rosen, journalism professor at NYU wrote at his NYU blog PressThink an imaginary statement from a broadcast executive on not covering Trump’s briefings:

The Boston Globe’s Michael Cohen op-ed on Friday headlined, “Trump is spreading misinformation about the coronavirus — time to take away his microphone”

The Nation’s Elie Mystal article headlined “The Media Is Helping Spread Trump’s Coronavirus Racism
It’s time for every major media outlet to stop disseminating Trump’s hate—and stop repeating his racist nicknames for the virus.”

Salon’s Bob Cesca, “Stop airing these press conferences — all of you. Between raging on Peter Alexander or his repeated use of the bigoted “Chinese Virus,” Trump has proved that he’s just as damaging and unserious as he’s always been. DO NOT REPEAT 2016.”

Rest - https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/03/as-trump-approval-soars-rachel-maddow-and-others-in-media-call-for-blackout-of-presidents-coronavirus-briefings/
Wow. Y'know, FDR shut the media down. It was for him, or didn't exist. Whether or not self-inflicted as much as real, the consequences of the reaction from top of the food chain to the bottom is very real. Misinformation is as deadly as the virus itself. Was I President, I would be pondering that.

Abbey Marie
03-22-2020, 03:51 PM
For the most part, the president has been given the most positive marks from the MSM of any issues he's taken on. The public is giving him even higher marks.

I think the right jumping on every negative story, especially from the likes of Maddow, risk the backlash of turning something non-political, political. It was the Dems over the top attacks and disrespect that turned me towards voting for Trump in November. Copying them would probably not be a good plan.

Whether or not it's true that responding to such stories will turn people away from Trump or the Republican Party, it is a price I believe many are willing to pay to keep the media from "blacking out" the President's speech.

Frankly, I find this very idea shocking. And I think everyone else should too. It is unthinkable to me, and also disrespectful in the extreme, to the President and half the country. I guess if folks are ok with this idea, they would also eventually be fine with access to just an official news source, a la Pravda. Our Founders will spin in their graves.

I, like you, don't like jumping on every negative story, but some stories/ideas, like this one, simply demand a very strong response.

FakeNewsSux
03-22-2020, 05:06 PM
Whether or not it's true that responding to such stories will turn people away from Trump or the Republican Party, it is a price I believe many are willing to pay to keep the media from "blacking out" the President's speech.

Frankly, I find this very idea shocking. And I think everyone else should too. It is unthinkable to me, and also disrespectful in the extreme, to the President and half he country. I guess if folks are ok with this idea, they would also eventually be fine with access to just an official news source, a la Pravda. Our Founders will spin in their graves.

I, like you, don't like jumping on every negative story, but some stories/ideas, like this one, simply demand a very strong response.

Fortunately the media has yet to understand they can be far more effective in controlling the message by simply not reporting on anything Pres. Trump does. But knowing the media as the ratings whores they always have been and always will be, they will never fully implement the 'blackout' tactic.