PDA

View Full Version : About Those Masks

Kathianne
03-21-2020, 09:54 PM
They work, lying isn’t going to play well:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/opinion/coronavirus-face-masks.html

jimnyc
03-22-2020, 11:38 AM
I got me 49 of them left and will save them for future need.

At minimum, they help a little, no matter what they say and especially the n95 masks. They will block an extent, and also help prevent you from breathing on others to an extent. And also, if you go to touch your face, that will remind you of what you are doing!

Good luck getting them now though.

Kathianne
03-22-2020, 11:59 PM
https://static.pjmedia.com/instapundit/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Screen-Shot-2020-03-21-at-8.58.23-AM.png

https://twitter.com/William70823696/status/1241173902598029314

The reason for the lies? There was not enough masks stockpiled and those that can be gotten are rightly going to healthcare folks. But they should NOT have lied.

jimnyc
03-23-2020, 10:09 AM
I find any lies being told to be disgusting. However bad things may be for anyone, we all need to know the truth. No one life should be valued more than another.

I think they should set aside a few companies to make the needs of the hospitals solely, ensure they get their masks and other products without having to fight the citizens. But tell us the truth about the masks, and increase production there too if they are helpful. Maybe even send them out to people somehow, I dunno. I have some in case I ever need them, but I don't plan on going out too awfully much.

Drummond
03-23-2020, 12:30 PM
Well, I don't know what to say. If it's really true that masks DO help, and help enough to make a worthwhile difference ... what's being said here, effectively, is that my own Government is lying to me.

If so, the BBC is complicit. Just two days ago (& I think it's due to be rebroadcast) I watched a programme in which it was explained why they don't work. We were further warned not to try and buy any, as if we do, we may be robbing hospitals of their own present or future stocks.

Granted that, these days, I don't live in London (... where the outbreak in the UK is at its worst ...) ... some people may be wearing one. Certainly in Wales, where I am now, I've yet to see even ONE person wearing one in the street.

I've nothing further useful to add. The advice we've been given makes sense to me, and I'm damned if I'll steal from a hospital, no matter how indirectly.

jimnyc
03-23-2020, 12:38 PM
Well, I don't know what to say. If it's really true that masks DO help, and help enough to make a worthwhile difference ... what's being said here, effectively, is that my own Government is lying to me.

If so, the BBC is complicit. Just two days ago (& I think it's due to be rebroadcast) I watched a programme in which it was explained why they don't work. We were further warned not to try and buy any, as if we do, we may be robbing hospitals of their own present or future stocks.

Granted that, these days, I don't live in London (... where the outbreak in the UK is at its worst ...) ... some people may be wearing one. Certainly in Wales, where I am now, I've yet to see even ONE person wearing one in the street.

I've nothing further useful to add. The advice we've been given makes sense to me, and I'm damned if I'll steal from a hospital, no matter how indirectly.

I don't think the crappy 2 ply ones do a damned thing. There are so many levels of masks. And they very well may not prevent someone from getting it, but it CAN! It will prevent you from breathing in a certain amount, depending on the mask of course, or the ventilator masks. It will definitely help folks from spreading anything, at least I am thinking, and especially so if they may have this and not yet know it.

I don't know 100% for sure what to believe. But a billion chinese have been sworn to them for years!! Oh no, I'm a racist!

I don't think folks need to be looking towards n99 or n100, but they say the n95 niosh certified masks may help. And so so many different kinds, and different ventilation.

I'm not planning on wearing one 24x7. In fact, I would imagine my box of 50 will have many leftovers. But if things grow worse, and I have to go to a medical setting for whatever reason? Then it's time I may wear one.

Drummond
03-23-2020, 12:51 PM
I don't think the crappy 2 ply ones do a damned thing. There are so many levels of masks. And they very well may not prevent someone from getting it, but it CAN! It will prevent you from breathing in a certain amount, depending on the mask of course, or the ventilator masks. It will definitely help folks from spreading anything, at least I am thinking, and especially so if they may have this and not yet know it.

I don't know 100% for sure what to believe. But a billion chinese have been sworn to them for years!! Oh no, I'm a racist!

I don't think folks need to be looking towards n99 or n100, but they say the n95 niosh certified masks may help. And so so many different kinds, and different ventilation.

I'm not planning on wearing one 24x7. In fact, I would imagine my box of 50 will have many leftovers. But if things grow worse, and I have to go to a medical setting for whatever reason? Then it's time I may wear one.

I'm not sure that our people could even get their hands on the N95 (or better) variety, if they tried. But, they won't. Too many people accept Government advice.

As for 'racism' .... well ... Covid-19 is the ultimate illegal immigrant. Show me ONE microbe that's ever produced a passport.

Abbey Marie
03-23-2020, 02:09 PM
If thinking that masks don’t work kept some people home more, then good. Because so many just won’t listen and do the right thing. For just one example, I’m in a FB group of local moms, where most have young children. They are still letting their kids friends come over to play, and vice versa.

The mask thing seems akin to how we sometimes kept the truth from our children when they were little, in certain circumstances, for their own good.

Drummond
03-23-2020, 04:18 PM
If thinking that masks don’t work kept some people home more, then good. Because so many just won’t listen and do the right thing. For just one example, I’m in a FB group of local moms, where most have young children. They are still letting their kids friends come over to play, and vice versa.

The mask thing seems akin to how we sometimes kept the truth from our children when they were little, in certain circumstances, for their own good.

All this, in the UK, has just become a moot point. Boris Johnson broadcasted to us all around 30 minutes ago. We've all gone into lockdown.

'Gatherings' of more than 2 people are banned. Leaving your home is only permitted under these circumstances:

Shopping - once a day, as infrequently as possible. Only buy food or get medicines. Shop only for essentials.
Exercise / cycling (Boris is well known to like cycling !) - once a day.
Work, IF the work is deemed essential. Stay at home if not.

Funerals excepted, public events (e.g attending places of worship) are banned.

Police have powers to disperse gatherings in excess of the limit; fine those outside who are clearly defying the permitted purpose(s) of being outside.

Wales appears to have managed one exception, according to Wales's First Minister: banks remain open for visitors.

You know things are bad, when our Lefties express approval !! They like what Boris has done. David Lammy, Labour MP for Tottenham, north London (and an occasional LBC presenter), an especially outspoken MP who attacks Conservatives at every imaginable opportunity, came on air to approve of it all.

This all lasts for a minimum of three weeks. Boris will review where we stand at that time.

Oh, and Lammy was speaking as I've been typing. He's calling for a 'unity' Government ... one where Labour shares powers with the Conservatives (trying to get a foot in the door of power, despite last December's heavy defeat !!). Ah. No wonder Lammy sounded reasonable, for once -- there HAD to be a catch !!!:rolleyes:

Kathianne
04-03-2020, 12:51 AM
I've been hearing that the 'task force' is going to say everyone should wear masks in a day or so. One TX town is now fining people who don't wear them under certain circumstances:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-city-fine-people-who-dont-cover-faces-outside-coronavirus

Texas city moves to fine people who don't cover their faces outside to protect against coronavirus
By Morgan Phillips | Fox News

The city of Laredo in Texas is now requiring all residents to wear a mask any time they enter a building that is not their home, or face up to a $1,000 fine.

Beginning Thursday, the ordinance approved by the Laredo City Council mandated that anyone entering a building, using public transit or pumping their gas must cover their nose and mouth with a mask, bandana, scarf or any cloth or face a fine up to $1,000. The rule will remain in place until April 30.

“This does not apply when a person is: engaging in a permissible outside physical activity; that are riding in a personal vehicle; that are in alone in a separate single space; that are with their own shelter group (household members); when doing so poses a greater health, safety or security risk; or for consumption purposes,” the City of Laredo said in a press release.

The council also voted to extend a curfew to pertain to all citizens requiring them to stay in their homes between the hours of 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. unless they are out for essential services. Otherwise, they may face a fine of between $50 and $1,000 or jail time of up to 180 days.

Drummond
04-03-2020, 05:47 AM
I've been hearing that the 'task force' is going to say everyone should wear masks in a day or so. One TX town is now fining people who don't wear them under certain circumstances:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-city-fine-people-who-dont-cover-faces-outside-coronavirus

If any attempt was ever made to fine somebody for not wearing a mask over here, it'd be seen as an outrage ... and that's even beside the point that getting masks for personal use is next to impossible (and robs healthcare workers of their own supply).

We have a lockdown in force throughout the UK. I ask: what can a mask do, that a brick wall cannot ?

Kathianne
04-03-2020, 05:56 AM
If any attempt was ever made to fine somebody for not wearing a mask over here, it'd be seen as an outrage ... and that's even beside the point that getting masks for personal use is next to impossible (and robs healthcare workers of their own supply).

We have a lockdown in force throughout the UK. I ask: what can a mask do, that a brick wall cannot ?
https://external-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/safe_image.php?d=AQCfJ45R3XbnxlO5&w=540&h=282&url=https%3A%2F%2Fc10.patreonusercontent.com%2F3%2 FeyJ3IjoxNjAwfQ%253D%253D%2Fpatreon-media%2Fp%2Fpost%2F35592221%2F44c8ee0461854688b97b e122dfab1d41%2F1.jpg%3Ftoken-time%3D1587116044%26token-hash%3D9gLsYpU23gxu_7MCIymFcAEqfT7rwZdnsIK-495oSJY%253D&cfs=1&upscale=1&fallback=news_d_placeholder_publisher&_nc_hash=AQBJheedAKNW6MjO

Kathianne
04-03-2020, 05:57 AM
https://external-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/safe_image.php?d=AQCfJ45R3XbnxlO5&w=540&h=282&url=https%3A%2F%2Fc10.patreonusercontent.com%2F3%2 FeyJ3IjoxNjAwfQ%253D%253D%2Fpatreon-media%2Fp%2Fpost%2F35592221%2F44c8ee0461854688b97b e122dfab1d41%2F1.jpg%3Ftoken-time%3D1587116044%26token-hash%3D9gLsYpU23gxu_7MCIymFcAEqfT7rwZdnsIK-495oSJY%253D&cfs=1&upscale=1&fallback=news_d_placeholder_publisher&_nc_hash=AQBJheedAKNW6MjO

I agree with you about the fines, but not the masks. Not a cure, but better results with than without.

jimnyc
04-03-2020, 07:42 AM
Latest headlines on Drudge - "Mask up"

I'm glad I still have about 45 regular protective masks and 9 N95 masks! I knew they had to work to an extent, and that the N95's were certified to block out a certain amount.

jimnyc
04-03-2020, 07:46 AM
WHO, CDC and how many others kept telling us stop buying masks! I stopped looking for N95 for the medical community but then got the regular kind. The fact that such higher ups were telling us this, in the face of things like the graph that Kath posted, kinda telling IMO.

jimnyc
04-03-2020, 07:50 AM

Dang, just reading this from another website, and a $1000 fine if folks don't cover their noses and mouths with some form of covering. And how the hell are people supposed to pay fines without working now either?

Drummond
04-03-2020, 07:51 AM
I agree with you about the fines, but not the masks. Not a cure, but better results with than without.

What brand(s) of masks are referred to, in your graph ? What quality ?

Did distancing rules play a part ? How critical a part ?

Did a combination of proper distancing rules happen to be in force, in the majority of those countries where masks were widely worn ?

I don't think the issue is quite as clear-cut as you'd suggest.

Besides, I think my point was valid. If you're isolated in a house with brick walls, I think that the anti-Covid effect is definitely superior than to be outside, breathing on people, wearing a mask (of indeterminate quality).

Drummond
04-03-2020, 07:57 AM
Dang, just reading this from another website, and a $1000 fine if folks don't cover their noses and mouths with some form of covering. And how the hell are people supposed to pay fines without working now either?

All of which suggests one answer. Don't go out, wearing (or not wearing) masks, in the first place. The one certain method of not spreading Covid-19 in the first place, is not to interact with people who can contract the virus.

It so happens I'm listening to LBC radio as I'm typing this ... the spokesperson saying, 'Don't go out'.

Kathianne
04-03-2020, 07:59 AM
WHO, CDC and how many others kept telling us stop buying masks! I stopped looking for N95 for the medical community but then got the regular kind. The fact that such higher ups were telling us this, in the face of things like the graph that Kath posted, kinda telling IMO.
Yep, they shouldn't have lied. The WHO still is.

Kathianne
04-03-2020, 08:01 AM
All of which suggests one answer. Don't go out, wearing (or not wearing) masks, in the first place. The one certain method of not spreading Covid-19 in the first place, is not to interact with people who can contract the virus.

It so happens I'm listening to LBC radio as I'm typing this ... the spokesperson saying, 'Don't go out'.

I agree with that. Yet, just like during an actual war, we need to get food. Some, like myself must go to work.

jimnyc
04-03-2020, 08:03 AM

Did a combination of proper distancing rules happen to be in force, in the majority of those countries where masks were widely worn ?

Besides, I think my point was valid. If you're isolated in a house with brick walls, I think that the anti-Covid effect is definitely superior than to be outside, breathing on people, wearing a mask (of indeterminate quality).

I think for now folks should cover with anything. Then plain surgical masks. Then when available the N95 and up masks. For the best quality to likely make that graph perfect, would be N95 for everyone AND a little distancing with it wouldn't hurt. I don't think with everyone wearing a mask it would change overnight.... but if they were worn from the get go I think these numbers are WAY different, and I think it would also help recurrences in the fall, for example, if folks were to start wearing them. Til this thing is eradicated and/or we have a vaccine for it anyway. Again, not saying it's the answer - but as my doctor told me - the regular masks have got to block something, and something is better than nothing! That's great for not touching your face, and to prevent everyone from coughing/sneezing and breathing all over one another to a great extent. Then the N95s are lab tested to block out incoming bacterias virii and other lovely lung infecting diseases. And even if they aren't 100% perfect, they block out down to the 0.03 sometthing or other microns level. So much more effective.

So not as dry cut as it may sound, no, but it will surely without a doubt HELP, IMO. And we are all desperate for help right now.

Kathianne
04-03-2020, 08:04 AM

Unless you do have to go out or go to work. I would not wear it in the home.

Now that the truth is out, something is better than nothing. IF everyone wore them, we'd all be protecting each other to an added degree. As you say, the safest place is at home. But. Food.

jimnyc
04-03-2020, 08:04 AM

While I agree 3000% - unfortunately, for example, I must hit 2 places - medication pickups and groceries. That's when I get protective, then right back home.

Drummond
04-03-2020, 08:27 AM
I agree with that. Yet, just like during an actual war, we need to get food. Some, like myself must go to work.

Online ordering ? You don't have that ?

If you were in the UK, and were an 'essential worker' (most notably a health worker), you'd have special provision made for you to go to supermarkets at designated times.

Here's a taste of how we're arranging things:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/health/coronavirus/new-supermarket-opening-times-and-rules-aldi-asda-tesco-morrisons-and-sainsburys-during-lockdown-2520229

Boris Johnson has put the UK on lockdown, banning everyone from leaving their homes except for exercise, medical appointments, travelling to work and shopping for necessities.

And with that, many supermarkets, specifically those that opened 24-hours, have restricted their opening hours to allow for workers to re-stock shelves.

With many shoppers continuing to stockpile amid the coronavirus crisis, some supermarkets have changed their opening hours to re-stock their shelves and allow for pensioners and the most vulnerable people in our communities, get access to certain items.

In a bid to beat the panic buyers, many supermarkets have introduced special shopping hours for frontline NHS staff as well as the elderly and vulnerable.

Some are limiting the number of people in stores and at ATMs at any one time. This includes putting queuing systems in place.

Many stores have put a crowd control system in place to help manage social distancing. This includes positioning security guards or designated team members at store entrances to keep track of how many customers enter stores at one time.

Product quantity limitations have been in place on a select few product lines to ensure availability for as many customers as possible.

Arrangements made, supermarket chain-by-supermarket-chain (Asda is owned by Walmart)

Aldi

All Aldi stores will open from 8am. However, they will now close at 8pm to allow time for product replenishment and to give additional support to our store colleagues. Sunday opening hours remain unchanged.

Tesco

A number of stores are now operating at reduced hours. Some Tesco Extra stores and Metro stores have reduced their hours to between 6am and 10pm.

Tesco has introduced a special shopping hour for its workers and NHS staff where those with ID, such as an NHS staff card, can visit the larger stores an hour before opening time on Sundays, browse and do their shopping before the checkouts open.

All stores (except Express stores) will be prioritising the elderly and most vulnerable for one hour between 9am and 10am every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Asda

Asda will be temporarily closing its 24 stores between midnight and 6am. It will also be prioritising NHS workers in its larger stores from 8am-9am every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Customers will only be able to buy up to three of any products across all food items, toiletries and cleaning products.

Pizza counters and cafes have been closed.

Morrisons

The supermarket has introduced an NHS hour at all of their stores every day, Monday to Saturday from 7am to 8am.

Customers will be restricted on purchases of cleaning products, with bleach at six per person and two for hand sanitisers.

Co-op

Co-op haven’t made changes to their opening times, but they are dedicating an hour to vulnerable customers at their stores.

They are also restricting purchases to two per customer on some products, including hand sanitiser, soap, tinned goods, pasta, rice, long-life milk, sugar, baby food and nappies.

Iceland

Iceland will also open early for elderly customers to visit before stores open to the public.

Each day, elderly shoppers can now visit between 8am and 9am. The final hour of trading Monday to Saturday will also be for NHS staff only.

The supermarket has introduced a temporary cap on sales of several products online including some anti-bacterial soaps and wipes.

Sainsbury's

Stores will now be open from 8am-8pm Monday to Saturday. This includes those with Argos stores. Sunday opening, Sainsbury's Local and petrol stations' opening hours will all stay the same.

Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, all of the chain’s supermarkets will dedicate the hour of 8am - 9am to serving elderly, disabled and vulnerable customers, as well as NHS and Social Care workers.

Lidl

The supermarket opens at 8am, prioritising elderly shoppers for the first hour.

There are also limits of four items per customer on a number of products including toilet roll, tinned food and pasta.

As well as helping access for specific groupings, such as the elderly and NHS staff ... this also helps to govern potential exposure to Covid-19 to specific groupings of people, this being an alternative to relying on masks, seen here as inadequate to the task of protecting people.

I'm wondering how your graphs take all of this into account .. ??

jimnyc
04-03-2020, 08:31 AM
Online ordering ? You don't have that ?

Wanna see insanity? Walmart for example. They have some paper goods listed on their site still, and tell you how many per store near you - but no delivery now - IN STORE ONLY! WTF???

jimnyc
04-03-2020, 08:32 AM
Wanna see insanity? Walmart for example. They have some paper goods listed on their site still, and tell you how many per store near you - but no delivery now - IN STORE ONLY! WTF???

Oh, and groceries, while we get ours from Freshdirect, and some non perishables from Amazon - it's getting much more tougher right now. And you CAN still get some things at the local supermarkets, who are rationing and limiting entry into their stores at a few customers at a time.

pete311
04-03-2020, 08:33 AM
My wife went out to donate blood and wore a dust mask. She said she was the only one, even blood center workers weren't wearing masks. wtf, we are doomed!

jimnyc
04-03-2020, 08:37 AM
My wife went out to donate blood and wore a dust mask. She said she was the only one, even blood center workers weren't wearing masks. wtf, we are doomed!

Watched a video last night of a nurse in tears after she quit her job. She had ONE mask left and they told her she couldn't wear it, as no one else on her floor had any!! They are about out apparently in some places.

And I get it, I too would quit if they had me working with patients with no protection.

Kathianne
04-03-2020, 08:43 AM
Can't wait for milk for more than 3 days, which is not unusual for either delivery or even pick up. The demand and the availability of online goods is sketchy.

In the cities, both of these are likely better at such, but not in the 'country' or desert. In some places not available at all.

pete311
04-03-2020, 08:48 AM
Watched a video last night of a nurse in tears after she quit her job. She had ONE mask left and they told her she couldn't wear it, as no one else on her floor had any!! They are about out apparently in some places.

And I get it, I too would quit if they had me working with patients with no protection.

yeah, some of the policies by hospital admins need to be investigated. It's absurd. Some doctors being given gag orders too.

Drummond
04-03-2020, 10:31 AM
Wanna see insanity? Walmart for example. They have some paper goods listed on their site still, and tell you how many per store near you - but no delivery now - IN STORE ONLY! WTF???:bang3::bang3::bang3::bang3:

Drummond
04-03-2020, 10:38 AM
Oh, and groceries, while we get ours from Freshdirect, and some non perishables from Amazon - it's getting much more tougher right now. And you CAN still get some things at the local supermarkets, who are rationing and limiting entry into their stores at a few customers at a time.

Very similar here, in the UK. Strict distancing rules, with customers queuing outside, and very few people allowed in-store at any one time.

Online ordering ... increasingly difficult to get a delivery slot (my regulars, namely Morrisons and Iceland, are fully booked). If/when you do, customers can only buy up to between 2 or 3 (depending on the store) of any one item.

Tesco is broadcasting an ad on LBC News Radio, to say that their stocks are now 'near-normal'. But rationing continues for now (& is inevitable for every other supermarket chain, including ASDA, which is the British Walmart !)

As for Amazon ... I'm registered with the UK site (obviously !). Many food items there are unavailable, though I've yet to see them run out of everything. However ... 'premium' prices are now payable !! Also, they're now importing American foodstuffs we don't normally see ... have just ordered something new, called 'Cream of Wheat' cereal ... the 'Maple Brown Sugar' variety. I'll be tasting it in the next few days.

Should be interesting to see if American brands disappear again from the British site, when stocks normalise. If you've been wondering where the American foods are going, maybe it's Brits like me who are hogging them all ... ?

Drummond
04-03-2020, 10:51 AM

We had our own video clip to see of a nurse in tears .. though not because of lack of masks. In her case, she'd just come off duty after a gruelling 48 hours being on-call. She left her hospital, and called in on her local supermarket to get provisions ... only empty shelves 'greeted' her. The video was shot just after she'd left the store ... she said she was out of fruit & veg, and 'healthy' food.

In the clip she berated the general public over their selfishness, when it was they who'd be relying on people like her when they are at their lowest.

​It was the negative publicity from that video -- shown by the BBC, repeatedly -- which 'shamed' our supermarkets into making provision for a 'health worker ONLY' opening slot in their usual opening hours.

P.S ... since drafting this, have found the video. Hope it plays in the US.

<strong>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmSPOSGpAYs

jimnyc
04-03-2020, 11:03 AM
Don't know if it will help, but my Dad said down in Florida that their supermarkets made the aisles one way only! :laugh: Be funny, soon getting citations for "driving" down the wrong direction in the cereal aisle. LOL I do think it is a good idea though, as when I hit the grocery store and Cvs I see people all over - hence me getting out of dodge. My wife said while waiting to pay, keeping her distance, the guy behind her kept tapping up against her waiting in line. She finally built up the courage and told him to keep his distance. If I were there, I simply would have used a cart and made myself a little clearer. Folks ain't thinking right, then we simply have a lot of stupid people, and then idiots that simply think they are invincible and can't pass it either. :rolleyes:

Kathianne
04-03-2020, 11:09 AM
Don't know if it will help, but my Dad said down in Florida that their supermarkets made the aisles one way only! :laugh: Be funny, soon getting citations for "driving" down the wrong direction in the cereal aisle. LOL I do think it is a good idea though, as when I hit the grocery store and Cvs I see people all over - hence me getting out of dodge. My wife said while waiting to pay, keeping her distance, the guy behind her kept tapping up against her waiting in line. She finally built up the courage and told him to keep his distance. If I were there, I simply would have used a cart and made myself a little clearer. Folks ain't thinking right, then we simply have a lot of stupid people, and then idiots that simply think they are invincible and can't pass it either. :rolleyes:
Walmart is in the process of doing just that. It's not good for sales, nor for movement through stores, but it's better for social distancing. They'll be doing it by arrows, they are starting with your area and other hardest hit areas too. Also they are taking infrared temperatures of employees-if 100 or higher, send home with pay. 3 days fever free. Masks and gloves will be given out, first going to highest impacted areas of course. Regular masks, N95 need to go to first responders.

jimnyc
04-03-2020, 01:56 PM
New study indicates masks prevent spread of virus, N.Y. officials say there still isn't enough data

Wearing a face mask can significantly reduce the transmission of coronavirus by preventing the spread of respiratory droplets and aerosols, according to a study published today in Nature Medicine by researchers at the University of Hong Kong.

“Our results indicate that surgical face masks could prevent transmission of human coronaviruses and influenza viruses from symptomatic individuals,” reads the study.

The findings of the study indicate that surgical masks can mitigate the spread of the novel coronavirus by reducing the “onward transmission” of the illness.The study did not test the effectiveness of masks worn by those who are not infected.

Amid the outbreak of the global coronavirus pandemic, mask wearing for the general population has been a hotly contested subject of debate.

The New York City Department of Health is now advising New Yorkers to wear a face covering when going outside. According to an update from Mayor Bill de Blasio’s office, New Yorkers can fashion a face covering using at-home materials like scarves, bandanas, and other common cloths.

Rest - https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/coronavirus/new-study-indicates-masks-prevent-spread-virus-ny-officials-say-there

The study itself:

Respiratory virus shedding in exhaled breath and efficacy of face masks

Abstract
We identified seasonal human coronaviruses, influenza viruses and rhinoviruses in exhaled breath and coughs of children and adults with acute respiratory illness. Surgical face masks significantly reduced detection of influenza virus RNA in respiratory droplets and coronavirus RNA in aerosols, with a trend toward reduced detection of coronavirus RNA in respiratory droplets. Our results indicate that surgical face masks could prevent transmission of human coronaviruses and influenza viruses from symptomatic individuals.

Main
Respiratory virus infections cause a broad and overlapping spectrum of symptoms collectively referred to as acute respiratory virus illnesses (ARIs) or more commonly the ‘common cold’. Although mostly mild, these ARIs can sometimes cause severe disease and death1. These viruses spread between humans through direct or indirect contact, respiratory droplets (including larger droplets that fall rapidly near the source as well as coarse aerosols with aerodynamic diameter >5 µm) and fine-particle aerosols (droplets and droplet nuclei with aerodynamic diameter ≤5 µm)2,3. Although hand hygiene and use of face masks, primarily targeting contact and respiratory droplet transmission, have been suggested as important mitigation strategies against influenza virus transmission4, little is known about the relative importance of these modes in the transmission of other common respiratory viruses2,3,5. Uncertainties similarly apply to the modes of transmission of COVID-19 (refs. 6,7).

Some health authorities recommend that masks be worn by ill individuals to prevent onward transmission (source control)4,8. Surgical face masks were originally introduced to protect patients from wound infection and contamination from surgeons (the wearer) during surgical procedures, and were later adopted to protect healthcare workers against acquiring infection from their patients. However, most of the existing evidence on the filtering efficacy of face masks and respirators comes from in vitro experiments with nonbiological particles9,10, which may not be generalizable to infectious respiratory virus droplets. There is little information on the efficacy of face masks in filtering respiratory viruses and reducing viral release from an individual with respiratory infections8, and most research has focused on influenza11,12.

Here we aimed to explore the importance of respiratory droplet and aerosol routes of transmission with a particular focus on coronaviruses, influenza viruses and rhinoviruses, by quantifying the amount of respiratory virus in exhaled breath of participants with medically attended ARIs and determining the potential efficacy of surgical face masks to prevent respiratory virus transmission.

Results
We screened 3,363 individuals in two study phases, ultimately enrolling 246 individuals who provided exhaled breath samples (Extended Data Fig. 1). Among these 246 participants, 122 (50%) participants were randomized to not wearing a face mask during the first exhaled breath collection and 124 (50%) participants were randomized to wearing a face mask. Overall, 49 (20%) voluntarily provided a second exhaled breath collection of the alternate type.

Infections by at least one respiratory virus were confirmed by reverse transcription PCR (RT–PCR) in 123 of 246 (50%) participants. Of these 123 participants, 111 (90%) were infected by human (seasonal) coronavirus (n = 17), influenza virus (n = 43) or rhinovirus (n = 54) (Extended Data Figs. 1 and 2), including one participant co-infected by both coronavirus and influenza virus and another two participants co-infected by both rhinovirus and influenza virus. These 111 participants were the focus of our analyses.

There were some minor differences in characteristics of the 111 participants with the different viruses (Table 1a). Overall, 24% of participants had a measured fever ≥37.8 °C, with patients with influenza more than twice as likely than patients infected with coronavirus and rhinovirus to have a measured fever. Coronavirus-infected participants coughed the most with an average of 17 (s.d. = 30) coughs during the 30-min exhaled breath collection. The profiles of the participants randomized to with-mask versus without-mask groups were similar (Supplementary Table 1).

Rest a LOT more - https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0843-2

Kathianne
04-03-2020, 02:01 PM
New study indicates masks prevent spread of virus, N.Y. officials say there still isn't enough data

Wearing a face mask can significantly reduce the transmission of coronavirus by preventing the spread of respiratory droplets and aerosols, according to a study published today in Nature Medicine by researchers at the University of Hong Kong.

“Our results indicate that surgical face masks could prevent transmission of human coronaviruses and influenza viruses from symptomatic individuals,” reads the study.

The findings of the study indicate that surgical masks can mitigate the spread of the novel coronavirus by reducing the “onward transmission” of the illness.The study did not test the effectiveness of masks worn by those who are not infected.

Amid the outbreak of the global coronavirus pandemic, mask wearing for the general population has been a hotly contested subject of debate.

The New York City Department of Health is now advising New Yorkers to wear a face covering when going outside. According to an update from Mayor Bill de Blasio’s office, New Yorkers can fashion a face covering using at-home materials like scarves, bandanas, and other common cloths.

Rest - https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/coronavirus/new-study-indicates-masks-prevent-spread-virus-ny-officials-say-there

The study itself:

Respiratory virus shedding in exhaled breath and efficacy of face masks

Abstract
We identified seasonal human coronaviruses, influenza viruses and rhinoviruses in exhaled breath and coughs of children and adults with acute respiratory illness. Surgical face masks significantly reduced detection of influenza virus RNA in respiratory droplets and coronavirus RNA in aerosols, with a trend toward reduced detection of coronavirus RNA in respiratory droplets. Our results indicate that surgical face masks could prevent transmission of human coronaviruses and influenza viruses from symptomatic individuals.

Main
Respiratory virus infections cause a broad and overlapping spectrum of symptoms collectively referred to as acute respiratory virus illnesses (ARIs) or more commonly the ‘common cold’. Although mostly mild, these ARIs can sometimes cause severe disease and death1. These viruses spread between humans through direct or indirect contact, respiratory droplets (including larger droplets that fall rapidly near the source as well as coarse aerosols with aerodynamic diameter >5 µm) and fine-particle aerosols (droplets and droplet nuclei with aerodynamic diameter ≤5 µm)2,3. Although hand hygiene and use of face masks, primarily targeting contact and respiratory droplet transmission, have been suggested as important mitigation strategies against influenza virus transmission4, little is known about the relative importance of these modes in the transmission of other common respiratory viruses2,3,5. Uncertainties similarly apply to the modes of transmission of COVID-19 (refs. 6,7).

Some health authorities recommend that masks be worn by ill individuals to prevent onward transmission (source control)4,8. Surgical face masks were originally introduced to protect patients from wound infection and contamination from surgeons (the wearer) during surgical procedures, and were later adopted to protect healthcare workers against acquiring infection from their patients. However, most of the existing evidence on the filtering efficacy of face masks and respirators comes from in vitro experiments with nonbiological particles9,10, which may not be generalizable to infectious respiratory virus droplets. There is little information on the efficacy of face masks in filtering respiratory viruses and reducing viral release from an individual with respiratory infections8, and most research has focused on influenza11,12.

Here we aimed to explore the importance of respiratory droplet and aerosol routes of transmission with a particular focus on coronaviruses, influenza viruses and rhinoviruses, by quantifying the amount of respiratory virus in exhaled breath of participants with medically attended ARIs and determining the potential efficacy of surgical face masks to prevent respiratory virus transmission.

Results
We screened 3,363 individuals in two study phases, ultimately enrolling 246 individuals who provided exhaled breath samples (Extended Data Fig. 1). Among these 246 participants, 122 (50%) participants were randomized to not wearing a face mask during the first exhaled breath collection and 124 (50%) participants were randomized to wearing a face mask. Overall, 49 (20%) voluntarily provided a second exhaled breath collection of the alternate type.

Infections by at least one respiratory virus were confirmed by reverse transcription PCR (RT–PCR) in 123 of 246 (50%) participants. Of these 123 participants, 111 (90%) were infected by human (seasonal) coronavirus (n = 17), influenza virus (n = 43) or rhinovirus (n = 54) (Extended Data Figs. 1 and 2), including one participant co-infected by both coronavirus and influenza virus and another two participants co-infected by both rhinovirus and influenza virus. These 111 participants were the focus of our analyses.

There were some minor differences in characteristics of the 111 participants with the different viruses (Table 1a). Overall, 24% of participants had a measured fever ≥37.8 °C, with patients with influenza more than twice as likely than patients infected with coronavirus and rhinovirus to have a measured fever. Coronavirus-infected participants coughed the most with an average of 17 (s.d. = 30) coughs during the 30-min exhaled breath collection. The profiles of the participants randomized to with-mask versus without-mask groups were similar (Supplementary Table 1).

Rest a LOT more - https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0843-2

Yep, it's just an added tool for prevention. Just remember to carefully remove by straps and dispose of or disinfect. It will be collecting dust, dirt, virus, and bacteria from you and anything you walk through. YUK!