PDA

View Full Version : ‘Postal Service will not survive the summer.’ Lawmakers warn it could go bankrupt

jimnyc
03-25-2020, 11:44 AM
A year ago I would have said to let them die out and disappear.

But I had a ton of products mailed to me in the past year. The majority was USPS, but a few times in a rush I paid extra for UPS or Fedex - and with paying premium $$$ it took longer than USPS!!!

NightTrain
03-25-2020, 12:12 PM
USPS hemorrhages millions each and every day. It's a loser and has been for decades.

UPS, FedEx and DHL are private alternatives that are profitable. Sell USPS off and let the new owners turn it around, reorganize, raise rates, whatever has to be done.

Yeah, we'll all pay more for our Amazon stuff, but paying artificially low rates while private industry is directly competing is insane and not supposed to be how it works.

In this electronic age, it isn't nearly as critical as it once was. Now it's primarily a retail goods delivery service.

Sell it off or let it die. Let private industry solve it efficiently like we all know it does.

FakeNewsSux
03-25-2020, 12:38 PM
Let me educate you folks about the delivery industry from someone on the inside. USPS uses UPS to handle the bulk of their parcels inter-city and inter-state. UPS sorts, loads, ships (air, rail & long haul truck) re-sorts and delivers packages to local post offices where the packages are sorted to local routes and delivered by your friendly letter carrier. USPS gets rock bottom rates as a, if not the largest, bulk shipper which keeps them competitive rate wise.

Gunny
03-25-2020, 12:39 PM
USPS hemorrhages millions each and every day. It's a loser and has been for decades.

UPS, FedEx and DHL are private alternatives that are profitable. Sell USPS off and let the new owners turn it around, reorganize, raise rates, whatever has to be done.

Yeah, we'll all pay more for our Amazon stuff, but paying artificially low rates while private industry is directly competing is insane and not supposed to be how it works.

In this electronic age, it isn't nearly as critical as it once was. Now it's primarily a retail goods delivery service.

Sell it off or let it die. Let private industry solve it efficiently like we all know it does.Our steel industry isn't supposed to be artificially propped up either but it is.

NightTrain
03-25-2020, 12:52 PM
Our steel industry isn't supposed to be artificially propped up either but it is.

That's not really the same, though. China is subsidizing their steel industry who undercuts our steel industry. A classic tactic : lose money until you kill off your competitor and then bump your prices to profit.

Steel is a critical industry and we have to have it here for national security reasons.

The same, as we've rediscovered, as having our medical and pharmaceutical industries here domestically.

jimnyc
03-25-2020, 01:56 PM

Sell it off or let it die. Let private industry solve it efficiently like we all know it does.

Sell it and improve what it already is!