PDA

View Full Version : Russia Has A Corona

Kathianne
03-25-2020, 01:02 PM
Beginning to admit a problem, they've had it:

https://abcnews.go.com/International/putin-dons-hazmat-suit-russia-admits-virus-numbers/story?id=69768452

The guy in yellow? Putin

https://s.abcnews.com/images/International/putin-rt-ml-200324_hpEmbed_3x2_992.jpg

The photo-op, which state television described as "spontaneous," came as Russian authorities for the first time acknowledged that the real number of novel coronavirus cases in Russia is likely significantly higher than the official figure.

In a televised meeting, Moscow’s mayor Sergey Sobyanin told him that a "serious situation is unfolding" in Russia and said that the official count of 495 cases was no longer providing the real picture.

"It doesn't matter. 400-500. The dynamic is high," Sobyanin told Putin. "Those who are in reality sick -- there is significantly more of them."

Why is Russia reporting so few COVID-19 cases? Some say it's a cover-up
Russia’s official coronavirus numbers have been strange. The country has recorded significantly fewer cases than other major countries and until last weekend the official total was under 200. But what made Russia an outlier was its number of confirmed cases in proportion to the quantity of tests it was carrying out. Russia has conducted more tests than almost any country but only 0.3% of those tested showed positive -- the second-lowest ratio in the world.

That figure has puzzled experts and led critics -- and increasingly even pro-government officials -- to suggest the government’s numbers could not be accurate. It had sparked accusations of a cover-up, although no solid evidence had emerged to support that. Other experts have suggested Russia’s testing regime was perhaps inadequate.

Sobyanin acknowledged that on Tuesday, telling Putin that it was clear large numbers of people with the virus were being missed by testing.

NightTrain
03-25-2020, 01:05 PM
Beginning to admit a problem, they've had it:

https://abcnews.go.com/International/putin-dons-hazmat-suit-russia-admits-virus-numbers/story?id=69768452

I remember seeing Moscow on the John Hopkins map at the very beginning of this thing.

Undoubtedly they have a lot of coverage by now... that was back when Seattle had like 8 cases or something like that and New York had 2.

Kathianne
03-25-2020, 01:12 PM
I remember seeing Moscow on the John Hopkins map at the very beginning of this thing.

Undoubtedly they have a lot of coverage by now... that was back when Seattle had like 8 cases or something like that and New York had 2.
They lied.

NightTrain
03-25-2020, 01:19 PM
They lied.

Shocking.

Well, at the very least we can take comfort in the fact that North Korea still doesn't have any cases, despite sharing a border with China and almost exclusively trading with China.

I've been wondering why we haven't tapped the Dear Leader for his advice on how to beat this thing.

Kathianne
03-25-2020, 01:26 PM
Shocking.

Well, at the very least we can take comfort in the fact that North Korea still doesn't have any cases, despite sharing a border with China and almost exclusively trading with China.

I've been wondering why we haven't tapped the Dear Leader for his advice on how to beat this thing.
I know. First China, now Russia, what are we going to do with such allies? Gagging.

jimnyc
03-25-2020, 01:57 PM

That we know of...

Russia
Confirmed: 658
Deaths: 1