PDA

View Full Version : The greed is just too much

Abbey Marie
03-27-2020, 02:09 PM
Have you heard this story out of Philly?

A large high-rise hospital in Philly was closed a year or so ago. It’s been empty since.

The city asked the owner(s) to let them use it for virus patients.

The owner (I’ve heard is a California investment banker) said ok.

For $400,000/month.

City said never mind.

Kathianne
03-27-2020, 02:16 PM
Have you heard this story out of Philly?

A large high-rise hospital in Philly was closed a year or so ago. It’s been empty since.

The city asked the owner(s) to let them use it for virus patients.

The owner (I’ve heard is a California investment banker) said ok.

For $400,000/month.

City said never mind.

The city can confiscate it for the duration. I forget under what act, but they have the power. Related to eminent domain.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-27-2020, 02:23 PM
Trying to find something on this but not being very successful...

Kathianne
03-27-2020, 03:05 PM
Trying to find something on this but not being very successful...
Maybe under the National Procurement or whatever act to use in war? Like I said, eminent domain is in the Constitution, this is not-but pretty certain it's an exception to the quartering act of sorts.

hjmick
03-27-2020, 03:06 PM
Philadelphia ends negotiations with Hahnemann Hospital for expanded COVID-19 facility (https://www.fox29.com/news/philadelphia-ends-negotiations-with-hahnemann-hospital-for-expanded-covid-19-facility)
Hahnemann, which was decommissioned in 2019, is currently vacant and in a state of disrepair according to Kenney. Although the building can hold the city's desired number of beds, Mayor Kenney said extensive work is required to make the building usable again.

Building owner Joel Freedman reportedly wanted to sell the building to the city, but Mayor Kenney said the city lacked the resources necessary to make a purchase.
According to Kenney, Freedman then offered to rent the building out to the city for $400,000 a month, plus improvement and expenses. But the expenditure would still cost around $1M a month.

Kenney said Freedman balked at the city's counter-offer to pay a "nominal fee" as well as upkeep and expenses for the building. The talks reportedly broke down following Freedman's refusal.

jimnyc
03-27-2020, 03:07 PM
Philadelphia city leaders, Hahnemann owner at odds over cost to reopen former hospital for coronavirus patients

Philadelphia city leaders and the owner of the former Hahnemann University Hospital are at odds during negotiations to reopen the facility for coronavirus patients.

Philadelphia Managing Director Brian Abernathy and city leaders are accusing Joel Freedman, the owner of Hahnemann, of trying to make money off the coronavirus pandemic, as the number of positive cases grew to 342 on Wednesday.

Freedman pushed back and said the amount he's asking for to rent the building is well below market price.

The hospital located at Broad and Vine streets in Center City has been closed since September.

The city and Freedman are now negotiating a six-month lease to use the building to help with coronavirus treatment.

As it stands now, Freedman is asking for more than $400,000 a month, but city leaders say that's unreasonable.

"I think he is looking at how to turn an asset that is earning no revenue into an asset that earns some revenue and isn't actually particularly thinking through what the impacts are on public health," Abernathy said.

Freedman fired back, claiming the price is eight times lower than the rental cost of a hospital in Los Angeles that's being used for coronavirus patients.

City officials accused Freedman of being "difficult."

Rest - https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/philadelphia-city-leaders-hahnemann-owner-at-odds-over-cost-to-reopen-former-hospital-for-coronavirus-patients/ar-BB11Gdb0

jimnyc
03-27-2020, 03:08 PM
Philadelphia ends negotiations with Hahnemann Hospital for expanded COVID-19 facility (https://www.fox29.com/news/philadelphia-ends-negotiations-with-hahnemann-hospital-for-expanded-covid-19-facility)
Hahnemann, which was decommissioned in 2019, is currently vacant and in a state of disrepair according to Kenney. Although the building can hold the city's desired number of beds, Mayor Kenney said extensive work is required to make the building usable again.

Building owner Joel Freedman reportedly wanted to sell the building to the city, but Mayor Kenney said the city lacked the resources necessary to make a purchase.
According to Kenney, Freedman then offered to rent the building out to the city for $400,000 a month, plus improvement and expenses. But the expenditure would still cost around $1M a month.

Kenney said Freedman balked at the city's counter-offer to pay a "nominal fee" as well as upkeep and expenses for the building. The talks reportedly broke down following Freedman's refusal.

You dirty bastard!! How dare you beat me while I was copying and pasting!! LOL

Abbey Marie
03-27-2020, 04:18 PM
The city can confiscate it for the duration. I forget under what act, but they have the power. Related to eminent domain.

We were wondering about that. I hope they do.