PDA

View Full Version : Rhode Island National Guard Stopping Cars With NY Plates and Seeking NY Residents

Kathianne
03-28-2020, 03:06 PM
Wow.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/rhode-island-police-troops-stopping-incoming-new-yorkers-force-quarantine-n1171106

Rhode Island police, troops stopping incoming New Yorkers to force quarantine
“I know this is unusual. I know this is extreme. And I know some people don’t agree with it,” Rhode Island's governor said.

March 28, 2020, 8:24 AM MST
By Phil McCausland
Rhode Island's National Guard and state police are stopping motorists with New York license plates and going door-to-door to find people who may have traveled recently from the state.

The enforcement actions come after Gov. Gina Raimondo ordered that anyone who has moved from New York state to Rhode Island in the past two weeks must self-quarantine for 14 days, part of her state's effort to slow the spread of coronavirus.

Troops from the National Guard have been posted at train stations and bus depots to inform New Yorkers of the order, and on Saturday they began going door-to-door to tell any recent travelers from New York that they must follow the quarantine to stop the spread of the coronavirus. State police began stopping cars with New York plates on Friday.

“I know this is unusual. I know this is extreme. And I know some people don’t agree with it,” Raimondo said. “It’s absolutely not a decision I make lightly.”

Those who do not comply with the order face a fine of $500 and 90 days in prison.

New York has become the epicenter for the coronavirus pandemic in the United States, and many state residents own second homes in Rhode Island communities, such as Newport.

The governor said that the country's smallest state is not prepared for a sudden uptick in COVID-19 cases, certainly not to the degree of what's been seen in New York and New Orleans.

NightTrain
03-28-2020, 03:40 PM
Apparently there's a lot of New Yorkers hauling ass to Florida... I don't know why Florida, but I suppose it's a destination.

When this thing blows up in FL, there's going to be hell to pay... there's a lot of old folks down there.

This virus is really getting traction now. Going to be a hell of a ride.

Kathianne
03-28-2020, 03:57 PM
Apparently there's a lot of New Yorkers hauling ass to Florida... I don't know why Florida, but I suppose it's a destination.

When this thing blows up in FL, there's going to be hell to pay... there's a lot of old folks down there.

FL has always been a NY destination, no surprise that Trump had his main second home, now first home there. Most of my mom & dad's neighbors were from NY or NJ, 20 years ago.

AZ now is also a destination of the East Coast. Grand. ;)

FL is going to go bad, sooner than later.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-28-2020, 04:49 PM
FL has always been a NY destination, no surprise that Trump had his main second home, now first home there. Most of my mom & dad's neighbors were from NY or NJ, 20 years ago.

AZ now is also a destination of the East Coast. Grand. ;)

FL is going to go bad, sooner than later.
Yup. When I was stationed at MacDill AFB in Tampa, every winter the population of the "golden triangle," Tampa, Clearwater, St. Petersburg, would increase by large numbers of "snowbirds." Traffic would suck until they went back north in the Spring. But there surely were an abundance of license plates on cars from NY.

I left Tampa in late 1987. My ex brother in law still lives there. He's told me that it's grown so much since I left that I probably wouldn't even recognize it now. Shame, because it wasn't all that bad to get around Tamp 30+ years ago. I even thought of moving back down there a time or two, but, that is no longer an option. I'm happy where I'm at. There's still only ONE confirmed covid case in my county, and ONE in the county north of me, and standing at 3 in the county east of me. So long as people are following the "safe at home" order in WI, I'd say I'm pretty safe here, and I like that. I'm in a very good spot to ride this crap out, and that's one more benefit of living here among many. Truly, the ONLY thing one can bitch about around here is... IT GETS COLD.

hjmick
03-28-2020, 05:10 PM
They won't take away our constitutional rights all at once, but little by little...

jimnyc
03-29-2020, 01:56 PM
Insane, and now Florida doing the same, with checkpoints.

--

Florida coronavirus cases pass 4000: state border checkpoints begin, vacation rentals halted

When the number of coronavirus deaths reached 54 in Florida on Saturday, Gov. Ron DeSantis told the state's surgeon general, Dr. Scott Rivkees, to get on the phone and send a public health alert to every Florida resident.

The message Rivkees texted Saturday afternoon was a repeat of the advisory he issued Wednesday, that people 65 and older, and those with underlying medical conditions, should stay home and avoid crowds, and everyone should practice "social distancing."

By Saturday evening, the number of coronavirus cases in Florida stood at 4,038, more than a fivefold increase from a week ago, when the state reported 706 infections. The death count creeped up to 56.

The virus has been particularly fatal for those over the age of 65, with that group making up 89% of statewide deaths. Another 35% were between the ages of 55 and 74, while people younger made up 4% of the fatalities and those over 85 were 19% of deaths.

On Friday, he issued an executive order expanding a previous directive that airline travelers from the New York City area self-quarantine for 14 days to include people from Louisiana who enter the state on Interstate 10.

The order would not apply to commercial transportation.

“Look, we’re either trying to fight this virus or we are not,” DeSantis said of his plan that includes a checkpoint on Interstate 10 at the Alabama line and National Guard members greeting travelers from the New York City area at airports.

“We’ve done what we could with New York City and we’re also doing the same with the New Orleans hot spot,” DeSantis said.

Rest - https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2020/03/28/florida-coronavirus-cases-pass-4000-border-checkpoints-vacation-rentals-suspended/2934407001/

jimnyc
03-29-2020, 02:00 PM

My Dad at 84 being one! And he's still pretty active and otherwise healthy, and I hope it stays that way!

There's a LLLLLLLLOOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGGG history of northern retirees to move to Florida, or simply somewhere south and warmer, but Florida being the nicest of them. And oddly it's mostly from NY moving there. Then add in the endless New Yorkers, NJ/Ct and what not hitting their all year long as a vacation destination, Especially Orlando for Disney. And many just go for the beaches.

It used to be so so much more open. But that's slowly dwindling as folks move in, new developments come up, new high rises, new stores...

KarlMarx
03-29-2020, 03:25 PM
I can’t blame Rhode Island

Who wants Chinese flu cases they don’t need?

Our county executive *finally* shut down bus service to and from NYC