PDA

View Full Version : Once Upon A Time, This Would Have Applied To Me

High_Plains_Drifter
03-30-2020, 06:47 AM
Long ago, when I separated from my first wife and Joined the Air Force, I had a young son. It didn't take long before I was notified that I was going to have to pay child support, so I went into base finance and filled out a monthly withholding to be sent directly to WI. In the meantime, unbeknownst to me, WI had garnisheed my military pay, and I paid double for almost 3 years. Well, needless to say, WI never said a word. They just let the double money keep rolling in, and when I confronted them about it, they said the extra money that was sent for 3 years is just... GONE... and it wouldn't count towards being PAID AHEAD. Well, had to get a lawyer to straighten the whole mess out, but I did get credited with the majority of it, but I was so disgusted that when I got out of the AF, after the paid ahead portion had lapsed, I didn't pay for a short period. Well, they started tacking on interest and kept jacking up how much they said I owed and it just turned into one huge shit storm, AGAIN. But during this years, I NEVER saw a tax return, they TOOK IT. They took EVERYTHING that would have been helpful extra cash to me. Well, FF to when I was awarded my service connected disability from the VA and got 3 years of back pay, of which NO ONE can touch, EVER, not even the state of WI, (even though they tried and had to RETURN IT), but all of a sudden I had a little cash ahead. I called up WI and made a deal with them to pay it off, but they were going to have to knock a big chunk of this moronic interest off. I offered to pay the principle and they accepted the offer. Finally done with it, after fighting with them for decades, and them taking ALL my tax returns.

So I see this headline just now on the internet and I had LAUGH OUT LOUD. I knew DAMN WELL how those people are going to feel. I'm not debating the social morality of this issue... I'm just saying I know how they feel... been there.

--------------------------------

Americans Who Owe Child Support Won’t Get Coronavirus Stimulus Check

The coronavirus relief bill signed into law on Friday includes payments to help most people, except for people who owe child support.

Owing back taxes or other debts such as student loans to the government does not affect how much stimulus money a person would receive, according to Senate Finance Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-IA).

The legislation “turns off nearly all administrative offsets that ordinarily may reduce tax refunds for individuals who have past tax debts, or who are behind on other payments to federal or state governments, including student loan payments,” Grassley, who authored the bill, wrote in a Medium post.

“The only administrative offset that will be enforced applies to those who have past due child support payments that the states have reported to the Treasury Department,” he continued.

In other words, people who owe child support could see their cash payments reduced or taken away altogether thanks to a 1996 law where the Treasury Department is allowed to collect overdue child support by cutting or withholding any federal handouts.

State child support agencies share information with the federal government about who is behind on their child support and by how much.

https://www.breitbart.com/economy/2020/03/29/americans-who-owe-child-support-wont-get-coronavirus-stimulus-check/?fbclid=IwAR36SSM3pA4uUiRmdMdk3_dHuw-6ybLVJ60Lv712UH8Lm1mmnl1LQNloVbs