PDA

View Full Version : Individually playing the hand one is dealt versus pushing for policy changes

tailfins
03-31-2020, 10:36 AM
I have made four trips to Cuba to study how people function in such an environment. It really is amazing. The most common is an action and consequences mentality. That means looking over one's shoulder and admitting that the governments sucks. The next is a comment to the effect of "I'm not a masochist." That means a focused effort not to be noticed and to be left alone. Freedom activists are generally viewed as masochists. Such people listen and understand the ideas of capitalism and freedom. They also understand achieving freedom means getting up the nerve to float on whatever they can find to the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico since arriving in Florida is more likely to mean getting sent back.

Then there are the people who can't psychologically handle the idea that their life of misery serves no useful purpose. They take comfort in the Castroit lies. I know a couple of such people who have internet access. They think that Coronavirus is a fair payback for all the misery the US has caused from the blockade. I know better than to ask them to actually read Helms Burton and other laws pertaining to the embargo. Doing so makes it very clear that the actions are designed to punish the Cuban government and NOT the Cuban people. That's why the exemption exists for "Support for the Cuban People". It means donating supplies to individuals and materially illustrating the advantages of the US system. Using Cuban soap and toilet paper makes that abundantly clear.