PDA

View Full Version : DC mayor threatens jail time for leaving home during coronavirus

jimnyc
03-31-2020, 12:11 PM
This is why I say I'm nervous about them shutting down NY. Being told I cannot leave my home, I'm basically under house arrest and WILL be in jail if I don't listen.

I know fully well about this pandemic and about protecting others. I also know a little bit about our freedoms in the USA and not wanting them abused. So protection turning into 'abuse' isn't far off IMO. I also don't have the answers!! People have got to be allowed to get food somehow. Same with medications. Those essential workers need to be allowed to work. That will have many cars on the ride back and forth to get those essentials. Are they going to start pulling us all over and checking in somehow? Where I need to show my food or medicine to them? And how will they determine just what someone's intent is, and then possibly lock them up? Monster sized fines in many cases as well.

--

DC mayor threatens jail time for leaving home during coronavirus

WASHINGTON — Mayor Muriel Bowser is threatening residents of Washington, DC, with 90 days in jail and a $5,000 fine if they leave their homes during the coronavirus outbreak.

The threat of jail is alarming residents and civil libertarians who point out that at least five inmates tested positive for COVID-19 in the city’s 1,700-inmate jail near Capitol Hill.

“Our message remains the same: stay home,” Bowser, a Democrat, said in a statement Monday. The stay-home order has exceptions for grocery shopping and work deemed essential. Outdoor recreation such as running is allowed, but cannot involve people outside of a household.

The order is similar to dictates in neighboring Maryland and Virginia, but shocked residents of Washington, where there are just 401 of the nation’s 160,000 confirmed cases.

Rest - https://nypost.com/2020/03/30/dc-mayor-threatens-jail-time-for-leaving-home-during-coronavirus/