PDA

View Full Version : New York: 560 dead in one day

jimnyc
04-03-2020, 12:51 PM
Still nothing like Italy, but not slowing down. (title on Drudge)

---

Governor to take ventilators for NYC as hospitals buckle

NEW YORK (AP) — With coronavirus deaths surging in New York, the governor announced Friday he will use his authority to seize ventilators and protective gear from private hospitals and companies that aren’t using them, complaining that states are competing against each other for vital equipment in eBay-like bidding wars.

“If they want to sue me for borrowing their excess ventilators to save lives, let them sue me,” Gov. Andrew Cuomo said. He added that he will eventually return the equipment or compensate the owners.

The executive order he said he would sign represents one of the most aggressive efforts yet in the U.S. to deal with the kind of critical shortages around the world that authorities say have caused health care workers to fall sick and forced doctors in Europe to make life-or-death decisions about which patients get a breathing machine.

The number of the people infected in the U.S. reached a quarter-million and the death toll climbed past 6,500, with New York state alone accounting for more than 2,900 dead, a surge of over 560 in just one day. Most of the dead are in New York City, where hospitals are getting swamped with patients and are facing shortages of ventilators.

The move by Cuomo came as the outbreak snapped the United States’ record-breaking hiring streak of nearly 10 years. The U.S. government said employers slashed over 700.000 jobs in March, bringing a swift end to the nation’s 50-year-low unemployment rate.

Rest - https://apnews.com/9625f2983ac615d631a64e3e99b0e69e

Kathianne
04-03-2020, 12:57 PM
Still nothing like Italy, but not slowing down. (title on Drudge)

---

Governor to take ventilators for NYC as hospitals buckle

NEW YORK (AP) — With coronavirus deaths surging in New York, the governor announced Friday he will use his authority to seize ventilators and protective gear from private hospitals and companies that aren’t using them, complaining that states are competing against each other for vital equipment in eBay-like bidding wars.

“If they want to sue me for borrowing their excess ventilators to save lives, let them sue me,” Gov. Andrew Cuomo said. He added that he will eventually return the equipment or compensate the owners.

The executive order he said he would sign represents one of the most aggressive efforts yet in the U.S. to deal with the kind of critical shortages around the world that authorities say have caused health care workers to fall sick and forced doctors in Europe to make life-or-death decisions about which patients get a breathing machine.

The number of the people infected in the U.S. reached a quarter-million and the death toll climbed past 6,500, with New York state alone accounting for more than 2,900 dead, a surge of over 560 in just one day. Most of the dead are in New York City, where hospitals are getting swamped with patients and are facing shortages of ventilators.

The move by Cuomo came as the outbreak snapped the United States’ record-breaking hiring streak of nearly 10 years. The U.S. government said employers slashed over 700.000 jobs in March, bringing a swift end to the nation’s 50-year-low unemployment rate.

Rest - https://apnews.com/9625f2983ac615d631a64e3e99b0e69e

I listened this morning, too depressing. I don't see he has a choice and IF he gets lucky and the areas he takes from don't have their own spike, he'll be a hero. OTOH, if they do spike and those communities have folks dying after their hospitals acted responsibly and tried to protect them, he'll be in a special kind of hell.

Kathianne
04-03-2020, 01:03 PM
It's from the internet, soooo
take it as you will. My fb feed, someone I do not know:

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/91625609_3441019672592849_5002039468358631424_n.jp g?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=5ML8IzAU4MkAX9Al8H7&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=5b8e07fb8ca91854afb5a0f9ee8edda5&oe=5EAE431C

jimnyc
04-03-2020, 01:19 PM
I just read that to my wife and she said that's what others in their conference calls have been saying. And why the bosses have decided to extend the work from home orders and such. And I read something about this a few days back but don't recall much honestly.

Kathianne
04-03-2020, 01:23 PM
I just read that to my wife and she said that's what others in their conference calls have been saying. And why the bosses have decided to extend the work from home orders and such. And I read something about this a few days back but don't recall much honestly.

I can't like it, but it made some sense to me, so I decided that I'd risk being called panic Karen or something. ;)