PDA

View Full Version : U of Pitt Might Have Vaccine?

Kathianne
04-03-2020, 01:17 PM
I heard something on this last night and this morning, big splash. However, the 'hold your horses and don't get too excited too soon works.'

https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morrissey/2020/04/03/university-pittsburgh-might-already-vaccine-safer-delivery-method/

University Of Pittsburgh: We Might Already Have A Vaccine — And A Safer Delivery Method, Too
ED MORRISSEYPosted at 2:01 pm on April 3, 2020

Take this with a small grain of salt at least for the moment, or perhaps a grain of sugar in this case. Researchers at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine believe that they have found an effective vaccine against COVID-19 and want expedited FDA approval for Phase 1 testing. The school’s extensive work on the previous SARS and MERS outbreaks left a roadmap for defeating this coronavirus, they claim in a new peer-reviewed paper — and they have also developed a safer method for delivering it:

Scientists at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine believe that they’ve found a potential vaccine for the new coronavirus.

The researchers announced their findings Thursday and believe the vaccine could be rolled out quickly enough to “significantly impact the spread of disease,” according to their study published in EBioMedicine. …

The scientists say they were able to act fast because they had already done research on the similar coronaviruses SARS and MERS.

“These two viruses, which are closely related to SARS-CoV-2, teach us that a particular protein, called a spike protein, is important for inducing immunity against the virus,” read a statement from co-senior author Andrea Gambotto, M.D., associate professor of surgery at the Pitt School of Medicine.

Fox News picked up the news this morning after word started to spread last night:

That would truly be a revolutionary method of vaccination … if it proves effective. It would be safer for everyone, patients and providers alike, and it could be easily transported without too much worry over spoilage. Manufacturing might be a challenge, however, given how innovative the microneedle patch is, so it might be better suited for a later vaccine than an initial treatment.

The next stage of testing would be to determine whether that method also works on humans, and whether the spike protein teaches the body to defeat COVID-19 specifically. If the UPSM can demonstrate both at the same time, we may be onto something huge — but we’re not quite there yet. Yet.

jimnyc
04-03-2020, 01:44 PM
I heard something on this last night and this morning, big splash. However, the 'hold your horses and don't get too excited too soon works.'

https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morrissey/2020/04/03/university-pittsburgh-might-already-vaccine-safer-delivery-method/

So we have the malaria medications - and that now makes like 10 companies I read about that are quite close on things... and now this. Sounds exciting until you read the words "testing phases". Grrrrrrrrrrr. I know they have to, but sure puts a LONG damper on things when you add that in. But that is still the beginning of the end for real if someone does find that vaccine!

Kathianne
04-03-2020, 01:47 PM
So we have the malaria medications - and that now makes like 10 companies I read about that are quite close on things... and now this. Sounds exciting until you read the words "testing phases". Grrrrrrrrrrr. I know they have to, but sure puts a LONG damper on things when you add that in. But that is still the beginning of the end for real if someone does find that vaccine!

They are asking for FDA to expedite, but only mice so far, that's not real high up the chain.

NightTrain
04-03-2020, 02:27 PM
It's the testing that's going to drag on... wouldn't do much good if you end up with a destroyed liver or grew a third arm a couple of months later.

Or something horrible like Thalidomide.

Kathianne
04-03-2020, 02:32 PM
It's the testing that's going to drag on... wouldn't do much good if you end up with a destroyed liver or grew a third arm a couple of months later.

Or something horrible like Thalidomide.
Yep. Americans aren’t known for their patience. On this case though it would be good to remember the scientific method we were taught in 4th grade and every year thereafter.

The malaria drugs were fast tracked because they’d been in use for years and might work.