PDA

View Full Version : Talked to my Dad in Florida today

jimnyc
04-04-2020, 10:05 AM
For the first time in my 51 years, I had to give my Dad a little verbal lashing this morning.

He's still going out a little, being the one down there in Florida to get any medications/foods or other necessities they need. I rode him about social distancing, and he says he's respecting that, but he still leaves the house for necessities. The reason I get mad is that Dad is 84 years old. His age group, the rate rises to 12.8% to 20% mortality rate.

So I inquire about what he's doing about protection. He's got it covered and wearing necessities and has disinfectants with him. I ask about what kind of mask, and none. WTF? That's not protecting yourself then! He believed too much of what he hears and reads.

So I ask him if he wants me to mail him a bunch.

Dad is HUGE into his workshop. He had like a professional workshop even in NJ growing up. Still has much in his garage today. So I ask him if he has any respirator masks from when he painted or worked on his wood projects. He asks why, and I tell him. So he walks out into the garage while we were on the phone, and finds a box and starts reading to me the names and numbers. "This won't be any good, this is the workshop type that workers wear"

Just read me the name and numbers Dad. He's got a new box of just stinky old 3m 8210 N95 respirator masks!! A 10 pack of sealed n95's, and he had no idea that they were the certified CDC protective masks. So now I feel a little better.

Now stay the fu&^ home Dad!!

High_Plains_Drifter
04-04-2020, 10:16 AM
They're saying that the real protection a mask gives you is against the tiny spittle drops that ALL people discharge when talking. They don't necessarily have to FILTER micro droplets, because the infectious droplets people naturally discharge are bigger than that. Even a bandanna to cover your face is better than nothing. However, when a person coughs or sneezes many infected micro drops are emitted and can float for many feet, and the filtering capabilities of a mask will be much more beneficial than just a bandanna or something.