PDA

View Full Version : Don't eat bats - but crickets, locusts & grasshoppers ok

jimnyc
04-06-2020, 10:36 AM
Ummmmmm, I don't think so. I know if out in the middle of the forest and lost for days it may save your life. But if push comes to shove, I'd rather eat plants and become a vegetarian than eat that shit! And it ain't just the UK, folks have been eating chocolate covered bugs and other crap, even here in the states for as long as I can remember. YuK!

--

Let Them Eat Crickets! EU to Approve Bugs for Human Consumption

The European Union will soon permit the sale of locusts, crickets, grasshoppers, and mealworms as food across the continent.

The European Food Safety Authority is expected to announce the ruling within the next few weeks, granting bugs a “novel food” classification that would allow the mass production of bug-based food items by autumn.

“These have a good chance of being given the green light in the coming few weeks,” the secretary-general of the International Platform of Insects for Food and Feed, Christophe Derrien, told The Guardian.

“We reckon these authorisations will be a breakthrough for the sector so we are looking for those authorisations quite impatiently. They are taking the necessary time, they are very demanding on information, which is not bad. But we believe that once we have the first novel food given a green light from EFSA that will have a snowball effect,” Derrien added.

In 1997, the EU passed a law requiring a “novel food” classification for products that did not have a history of being consumed as food by Europeans.

The United Kingdom, Belgium, Finland, Denmark, and the Netherlands all decided that the law did not apply to animals and therefore continued to permit the sale of bugs as food. Countries like France, Spain, and Italy decided to ban the sale of insects as food as a result of the law.

Rest - https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2020/04/06/eu-set-to-approve-insects-for-human-consumption/

pete311
04-06-2020, 11:48 AM
A cricket is no less gross than slaughtering a cow and eating it's muscle or eating pig ass for that matter. It's all about what you were raised on.

Drummond
04-06-2020, 12:00 PM
A cricket is no less gross than slaughtering a cow and eating it's muscle or eating pig ass for that matter. It's all about what you were raised on.

I don't really see where you're going with this, unless you're trying to make the case for veganism applied universally ? By order .. ?

What is or is not considered 'gross' is in the eye of the beholder. I don't have to agree with you about what qualifies, or doesn't.

Nobody does (.. except, maybe a 'PC'-obedient Comrade or 2 ?)

For myself: well, I think I'd cite this subject as yet one more 'plus' point for Brexit: we got out just in time !! I for one haven't the remotest interest in eating crickets. Ah, but a big, thick, 16oz juicy steak ??? That, I assure you, is an entirely different matter !!! ....

pete311
04-06-2020, 12:03 PM
I don't really see where you're going with this, unless you're trying to make the case for veganism applied universally ? By order .. ?

What is or is not considered 'gross' is in the eye of the beholder. I don't have to agree with you about what qualifies, or doesn't.

Nobody does (.. except, maybe a 'PC'-obedient Comrade or 2 ?)

For myself: well, I think I'd cite this subject as yet one more 'plus' point for Brexit: we got out just in time !! I for one haven't the remotest interest in eating crickets. Ah, but a big, thick, 16oz juicy steak ??? That, I assure you, is an entirely different matter !!! ....

What is considered gross is in the eye of the beholder. Yes, that is my point and it usually cultural. If you grow up eating crickets, they are like popcorn. Big deal.

jimnyc
04-06-2020, 12:08 PM

Maybe so, maybe so. But if cooked right, not a many stories of getting sick. And of course not many about bugs... but then some in other countries, grass and bugs weren't enough, and then it was onto cats, dogs and then bats. Maybe not as much the former, but hell, the latter things are outright disgusting. Bats are an obvious, they are well known to cause diseases, and people eat that shit anyway. Uck.

And I suppose dogs/cats will be what you were raised on, or it's normal to them and all kinds of things. But the majority of the civilized world pet and feed them. But yes, I get it, I know areas are different, and my disgusting is their normal, and vice versa to some.

But still more gross, as our cows are generally tested and we get assured of quality and ratings. Try to protect us from what we eat. Not really the same if you reach down and squish a grasshopper or cricket! Or eating a cat or a dog that was just caught. Our pigs and various meats tested too.