PDA

View Full Version : Acting Navy Secretary Modly resigns

jimnyc
04-07-2020, 03:59 PM
Not surprising considering how he handled things and some of his words.

--

Acting Navy Secretary Modly resigns

Acting Secretary of the Navy Thomas Modly resigned Tuesday after traveling nearly 8,000 miles to Guam to berate thousands of sailors on Monday, later saying he stood "by every word," and then subsequently apologizing for the remarks within the span of about eight hours.

Modly submitted his resignation a day after audio of his speech on the carrier was published by Task & Purpose. James McPherson, Undersecretary of the Army, will be tapped to replace Modly, a defense official told Task & Purpose.

"This morning I accepted Secretary Modly's resignation," Defense Secretary Mark Esper wrote in a memo he tweeted Tuesday afternoon. "He resigned on his own accord, putting the Navy and the sailors above self so that the USS Theodore Roosevelt, and the Navy as an institution, can move forward."

Modly, who came into the job after his predecessor was forced out for going against President Trump during the Eddie Gallagher affair, faced intense pressure to resign over his handling of the situation on the USS Theodore Roosevelt, a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier which quickly went from having three COVID-19 cases to hundreds among a crew of nearly 5,000 sailors after a port visit to Vietnam in early March.

Modly spoke over the ship's intercom for roughly 15 minutes on Monday, chastising sailors who enthusiastically cheered for their captain, Capt. Brett Crozier, as he departed the ship. In his remarks, Modly said Crozier was either "too naive or too stupid to be a commanding officer" of their ship since a letter he wrote to Navy leadership subsequently leaked to the press.

Crozier was relieved of command over the leaked letter, in which he pleaded with senior leadership to allow the evacuation of his sailors from the ship since social distancing is practically impossible.

"Crew of the Teddy Roosevelt, you are under no obligation to love your leadership, only respect it," Modly said. "You are under no obligation to like your job, only to do it. You are under no obligation, you are under no obligation to expect anything from your leaders other than they will treat you fairly and put the mission of the ship first."

“That's your duty,” Modly continued. “Not to complain. Everyone is scared about this thing. And let me tell ya something, if this ship was in combat and there were hypersonic missiles coming in at it, you'd be pretty fucking scared too. But you do your jobs. And that's what I expect you to. And that's what I expect every officer on this ship to do, is to do your jobs.”

Several Democratic lawmakers on Monday called for Modly's resignation, while President Donald Trump said he might intervene. Under pressure from Defense Secretary Mark Esper, Modly apologized late Monday.

Meanwhile, Modly also wrote a response to an op-ed published in The New York Times by Tweed Roosevelt, great grandson to Theodore Roosevelt, in which he called Crozier a "hero." The response by Modly was published and later deleted from The Navy's Live Blog, though it still appears on The Times website.

Rest - https://taskandpurpose.com/news/modly-fired

High_Plains_Drifter
04-07-2020, 04:10 PM
This is just a circus... the Navy's top brass is acting like a bunch of unhinged democrats.

One skirts the chain of command, and then his boss that fires him comes off the rails trashing him.

WTF is going on with the Navy? @icansayit (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=3857)

icansayit
04-07-2020, 05:58 PM
This is just a circus... the Navy's top brass is acting like a bunch of unhinged democrats.

One skirts the chain of command, and then his boss that fires him comes off the rails trashing him.

WTF is going on with the Navy? @icansayit (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=3857)

There are still a lot of LEFTOVER Obama Kissa.. Yesmen and women in the Pentagon, and in all of the forces. Remember how it started with Clinton in the 90's, then when it came to Obama. He wanted to totally destroy the military from within.
All of his Buttkissers are still there. And they are shielded by their fellow Higher Ups who loved both the Clintons and Obama.
They are part of the DEEP STATE (everybody insists....doesn't exist), and the following COUP attempts that came from the DOJ, DOD, A.G. FBI, and CIA.
In fact. I'd be willing to bet (based on my own experiences during the Clinton fiasco years) there are Thousands of LOYAL Clinton and Obama Unelected people still in there, protected by their Civil Service, and Union guarded positions that can only go away by Attrition.
The same for people in Uniform. WUSSIES are everywhere, and they CRY just as loud as the SNOWFLAKES who scream NO about Trump.
IMO....Of course!

pete311
04-07-2020, 07:40 PM
There are still a lot of LEFTOVER Obama Kissa.. Yesmen and women in the Pentagon, and in all of the forces. Remember how it started with Clinton in the 90's, then when it came to Obama. He wanted to totally destroy the military from within.
All of his Buttkissers are still there. And they are shielded by their fellow Higher Ups who loved both the Clintons and Obama.
They are part of the DEEP STATE (everybody insists....doesn't exist), and the following COUP attempts that came from the DOJ, DOD, A.G. FBI, and CIA.
In fact. I'd be willing to bet (based on my own experiences during the Clinton fiasco years) there are Thousands of LOYAL Clinton and Obama Unelected people still in there, protected by their Civil Service, and Union guarded positions that can only go away by Attrition.
The same for people in Uniform. WUSSIES are everywhere, and they CRY just as loud as the SNOWFLAKES who scream NO about Trump.
IMO....Of course!

Modly was appointed by Trump, so wtf are you talking about?

icansayit
04-07-2020, 08:00 PM
Modly was appointed by Trump, so wtf are you talking about?

Yes, the president appointed him. Then found out he was still working for the COUP gang and the Deep State.
I have neighbors who are still govt. employee's who also hate the president. So...you accomplished nothing. OF COURSE.

pete311
04-07-2020, 08:21 PM
Yes, the president appointed him. Then found out he was still working for the COUP gang and the Deep State.
I have neighbors who are still govt. employee's who also hate the president. So...you accomplished nothing. OF COURSE.

Please do tell about his deep state connections. Whatever that means. Maybe Trump should do a better job vetting.

icansayit
04-07-2020, 08:33 PM
Please do tell about his deep state connections. Whatever that means. Maybe Trump should do a better job vetting.

Crawl back into your liberal hole with Schiffless, Pelosi, Schumer, and all of those people you insist...do not exist. What a party that must be?

Gunny
04-07-2020, 08:47 PM
Please do tell about his deep state connections. Whatever that means. Maybe Trump should do a better job vetting.Do you EVER get a new f-ing game? I must admit though, you DO play "stupid" to a tee.

General grade officers in ALL branches are as much or more politician than they are anything military. By the time they become Secretary of ...? They're full-blown politicians and bureaucrats. Then they retire and the bureaucracy brings them back life the next day in the Civil Service. And it REQUIRES you be a kiss-ass to the bureaucracy to have any hope of doing so. But see, you woyuldn't know any of that because aside from being in political denial, you just don't f-ing know cuz you haven't been there.

THAT is SOP in the Ring Around the Congo AKA the Beltway. And how many examples you want? I had the "honor and privilege" of working in that rat-infested sewer long enough to school your ass all damned night.

Gunny
04-07-2020, 09:07 PM
@icansayit (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=3857) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Modly

Explains a lot. Ringknocker PILOT and bureaucrat. See any mention of command there? I don't.

As you know, it is improper for a senior to berate a subordinate in front of the latter's subordinates. You and I both know also what those Sailors and Marines having to listen this chair polisher were saying to themselves about this idiot dogging the Captain of their ship.

pete311
04-07-2020, 09:10 PM
@icansayit (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=3857) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Modly

Explains a lot. Ringknocker PILOT and bureaucrat. See any mention of command there? I don't.

As you know, it is improper for a senior to berate a subordinate in front of the latter's subordinates. You and I both know also what those Sailors and Marines having to listen this chair polisher were saying to themselves about this idiot dogging the Captain of their ship.

So all Trump had to do is look at his Wiki page to know he was bad news? Wow Trump blew this one.

Gunny
04-07-2020, 09:32 PM
So all Trump had to do is look at his Wiki page to know he was bad news? Wow Trump blew this one.Yeah, right. Because we all KNOW the President has experience serving in the military:rolleyes: Any 20= year vet can tell you what someone did based on their bio and MOS.

Let's try again, idiot. I T I S I M P R O P E R C O N D U C T I N T H E U S A R M E D F O R C E S F O R A S E N I O R T O B E R A T E O R S P E A K I L L OF A N O T H E R M E M B E R I N F R O N T O F S U B O R D I N A T E S.

Big enough letters for ya, Pete? It has nothing to do with Trump and everything to do with Modly's unacceptable behavior as a US Naval Officer. If your hero, O-Blah-blah hadn't completely saturated everything he could with leftwingnut bureaucrat goons perhaps The President would have better to choose from.

But then [insert Drummond's post here] ... you're just going to bleat along with what you have been told to.

icansayit
04-08-2020, 12:19 AM
So all Trump had to do is look at his Wiki page to know he was bad news? Wow Trump blew this one.

Just happens that "YOU" are the only one who BLEW anything in this case. And your breath stinks too!

YOU NEED AN N-19 MASK......ASAP.

Kathianne
04-24-2020, 02:39 PM
https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2020-04-24/us-navy-recommends-reinstating-fired-captain-of-coronavirus-hit-ship-officials-say

U.S. Navy Recommends Reinstating Fired Captain of Coronavirus-Hit Ship, Officials Say
By Reuters, Wire Service Content April 24, 2020, at 3:17 p.m.

WASHINGTON (REUTERS) - U.S. Navy leaders on Friday recommended that the reinstatement of the commander of the aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt, who was fired after he pleaded for help with a coronavirus outbreak onboard, U.S. officials told Reuters.

The officials, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said the recommendation to reinstate Captain Brett Crozier was made during a meeting on Friday between U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper and Navy leaders.