PDA

View Full Version : The Pope Delivers A Message Of Hope This Holy Week

FakeNewsSux
04-09-2020, 07:38 PM
So let me get this straight. God's vicar on earth believes that COVID-19 is nature's revenge on the human race for it's years of neglect in the area of climate change? Since God created heaven and earth, would it not be accurate to assume that acts of nature are actually acts of God? If that is the case, is God's representative on earth telling us that God is pissed off enough at us for not handing most of our civil rights and three quarters of our wealth over to Al Gore and a handful of European globalist elites that he want to kill us off with a virus spawned by a godless, communist government?

Pope Francis Says Pandemic Is ‘Nature’s Response’ to Human Inaction over Climate Changehttps://media.breitbart.com/media/2020/02/papa-pope-francis-640x480.jpg
ROME — Pope Francis said he believes the Chinese coronavirus pandemic is “certainly nature’s response” to humanity’s failure to address the “partial catastrophes” wrought by human-induced climate change.
Asked by British journalist Austen Ivereigh whether the COVID-19 crisis is an opportunity for an “ecological conversion,” the pontiff reasserted (https://www.vaticannews.va/es/papa/news/2020-04/entrevista-papa-francisco-asi-estoy-viviendo-emergencia-pandemia.html) his belief that humanity has provoked nature by not responding adequately to the climate crisis.
“There is an expression in Spanish: ‘God always forgives, we forgive sometimes, but nature never forgives,’” Francis said in the interview published Wednesday. “We did not respond to the partial catastrophes. Who now speaks of the fires in Australia, or remembers that a year and a half ago a boat could cross (https://www.breitbart.com/environment/2019/09/12/woke-pope-plastic-banned-in-vatican-to-save-environment/) the North Pole because the glaciers had all melted? Who speaks now of the floods?”
“I don’t know if it is nature’s revenge, but it is certainly nature’s response,” he added.
“Every crisis contains both danger and opportunity: the opportunity to move out from the danger,” he said. “Today I believe we have to slow down our rate of production and consumption and to learn to understand and contemplate the natural world.”

https://www.breitbart.com/health/2020/04/09/pope-francis-says-pandemic-is-natures-response-to-human-inaction-over-climate-change/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsTK2LHZKPQ

Kathianne
04-09-2020, 07:47 PM
I'm funny, I listen to the message from Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter Sunday. God's message, not the Pope's. It's amazing how the man is able to upset so many righteous Christians that think the religion is of Satan's spawn.

FakeNewsSux
04-09-2020, 07:53 PM
I'm Lutheran. We believe that the Pope's been talking out his ass for 500 years.

Kathianne
04-09-2020, 08:00 PM
I'm Lutheran. We believe that the Pope's been talking out his ass for 500 years.
As I said.

High_Plains_Drifter
04-09-2020, 08:06 PM
I think the pope is a liberal globalist putz.

And I was raised a Methodist, but no longer identify with a denomination. I simply consider myself a Christian. I go by what's written in the Bible... as best I can... :rolleyes:

Kathianne
04-09-2020, 08:30 PM
I think the pope is a liberal globalist putz.

And I was raised a Methodist, but no longer identify with a denomination. I simply consider myself a Christian. I go by what's written in the Bible... as best I can... :rolleyes:

I believe you.

Abbey Marie
04-09-2020, 09:47 PM
I am not anti-Catholic by any means. In fact, I was raised Catholic and attended Catholic schools right through college. Nor am I anti-Pope.

This Pope will have a lot to answer for when he meets God.

Abbey Marie
04-09-2020, 09:55 PM
I'm funny, I listen to the message from Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter Sunday. God's message, not the Pope's. It's amazing how the man is able to upset so many righteous Christians that think the religion is of Satan's spawn.

There’s no doubt there is a lot of anti-Catholic feeling out there. Even among Protestants and non-denoms. But I don’t think it’s surprising that people see the Pope and the religion as one and the same. He is after all held up as the beloved, infallible God-divined leader of the whole Church. And those people worry that millions of Catholics will follow his every utterance.

I know the Church does a ton of good in the world, and it all would be sorely missed should the Church fail.

Kathianne
04-09-2020, 10:32 PM
There’s no doubt there is a lot of anti-Catholic feeling out there. Even among Protestants and non-denoms. But I don’t think it’s surprising that people see the Pope and the religion as one and the same. He is after all held up as the beloved, infallible God-divined leader of the whole Church. And those people worry that millions of Catholics will follow his every utterance.

I know the Church does a ton of good in the world, and it all would be sorely missed should the Church fail.

Actually there is a ton of anti-Catholic feeling here, always has been. Not surprise. As a former Catholic, I know you know the teachings on the Pope are not that he is infallible in any manner other than regarding the teachings of Christ. He's not infallible as a man, as a priest, etc. I now you know that.

High_Plains_Drifter
04-10-2020, 06:45 AM
I'm not anti Catholic. Right or wrong, they're free to believe what they want. So are Buddhists and Hindus and Muslims, as am I.

But I recognize a liberal leftist when I see one, and this pope being fine with homosexual marriage and constantly advocating for open borders, well hell, those are two of the biggest pet agenda items for the progressive left there are.

Just once I'd like to hear this pope explain how he squares homo marriage with the Bible, when God clearly states in the Bible...

KJV - Leviticus 20:
13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Kathianne
04-10-2020, 06:50 AM
I'm not anti Catholic. Right or wrong, they're free to believe what they want. So are Buddhists and Hindus and Muslims, as am I.

But I recognize a liberal leftist when I see one, and this pope being fine with homosexual marriage and constantly advocating for open borders, well hell, those are two of the biggest pet agenda items for the progressive left there are.

Just once I'd like to hear this pope explain how he squares homo marriage with the Bible, when God clearly states in the Bible...

Leviticus 20:
13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.
In the same vein, I'm not against self-righteous, self-anointed so called pseudo gods that call themselves protestant Christians, muslims, etc. Bringing death and destruction to all they judge condemned.

High_Plains_Drifter
04-10-2020, 07:17 AM
In the same vein, I'm not against self-righteous, self-anointed so called pseudo gods that call themselves protestant Christians, muslims, etc. Bringing death and destruction to all they judge condemned.
No one should ever be killed in the name of religion.

Drummond
04-10-2020, 07:18 AM
Where the Pope is concerned, it's perfectly simple.

He's just a man (however greatly he's revered, & regardless of the basis for that reverence). As such, he's prey to the environment he lives in.

Where does he live ?

Answer: EUROPE.

Consider the political and social climate of Europe, and ... does any more need to be said ?

If we lived in a world where the Pope lived in, and was based, in the southern United States (e.g Texas) ... I wonder what he'd be saying .. ?

Kathianne
04-10-2020, 07:28 AM
Where the Pope is concerned, it's perfectly simple.

He's just a man (however greatly he's revered, & regardless of the basis for that reverence). As such, he's prey to the environment he lives in.

Where does he live ?

Answer: EUROPE.

Consider the political and social climate of Europe, and ... does any more need to be said ?

If we lived in a world where the Pope lived in, and was based, in the southern United States (e.g Texas) ... I wonder what he'd be saying .. ?
Indeed. From my standpoint, he surely seems to have more effect on the ignorant of whatever faith or lack thereof. Sometimes one laughs, sometimes one strikes back at the ignorant that just use the pope to spread their hate, lies, and own earned inadequacies.

Kathianne
04-10-2020, 07:30 AM
No one should ever be killed in the name of religion.

and yet the ignorant do. Muslims, hate-filled Protestants, actually those that hate in general.

It's the ignorant that spread disinformation and relish in the choas.

Drummond
04-10-2020, 07:37 AM
and yet the ignorant do. Muslims, hate-filled Protestants, actually those that hate in general.

Point basically accepted; though (& probably very tiresomely so) I think Islam can be questioned as to whether it IS a religion, or maybe it's just a political cult hell-bent on world domination, no matter what the human cost.

Kathianne
04-10-2020, 07:40 AM
Point basically accepted; though (& probably very tiresomely so) I think Islam can be questioned as to whether it IS a religion, or maybe it's just a political cult hell-bent on world domination, no matter what the human cost.
true on both. Then there is China, supposedly atheist, the same could be said-though they avoid violence against the strong.

High_Plains_Drifter
04-10-2020, 07:52 AM

I agree, and it's wrong.

Kathianne
04-10-2020, 07:56 AM
I agree, and it's wrong.

and yet your posts and thanks tend to contradict? I'll take this as literally as the rest.

High_Plains_Drifter
04-10-2020, 08:02 AM
and yet your posts and thanks tend to contradict? I'll take this as literally as the rest.
Where's the contradiction?

I think you misunderstand me.

Kathianne
04-10-2020, 08:31 AM
Where's the contradiction?

I think you misunderstand me.
Maybe it's perception? I don't think so, but perhaps you can convince me? Looking at your posts, it appears your condemnation of Pope/Catholics stems from HIS, fallible, perspective on gays?

Yet, shockingly, I don't see the same regarding Episcopal, Lutheran, or Methodist, all of which have addressed the same topic, with similar results? One of which has split over the topic. I await your learned reply.

High_Plains_Drifter
04-10-2020, 08:50 AM
Maybe it's perception? I don't think so, but perhaps you can convince me? Looking at your posts, it appears your condemnation of Pope/Catholics stems from HIS, fallible, perspective on gays?

Yet, shockingly, I don't see the same regarding Episcopal, Lutheran, or Methodist, all of which have addressed the same topic, with similar results? One of which has split over the topic. I await your learned reply.
No need to get snarky now. I like to discuss things as much as the next person, but when the claws come out, that's when things go south.

The thread is about the pope, no? So he is who I'm commenting on, and yes, as I already pointed out, the pope's purported belief that there is nothing wrong with homo marriage is in stark contrast with what God says in the Bible. I don't see what part about that would be hard to perceive. And as far as CONDEMNING, I've done no such thing, of the pope or catholics.

If you'd like to have a discussion about every other denomination then say so, but to save some time, if they believe as the pope does as to the afore mentioned topic, then they're in defiance of God's word in the Bible as well.

Kathianne
04-10-2020, 09:10 AM
No need to get snarky now. I like to discuss things as much as the next person, but when the claws come out, that's when things go south.

The thread is about the pope, no? So he is who I'm commenting on, and yes, as I already pointed out, the pope's purported belief that there is nothing wrong with homo marriage is in stark contrast with what God says in the Bible. I don't see what part about that would be hard to perceive. And as far as CONDEMNING, I've done no such thing, of the pope or catholics.

If you'd like to have a discussion about every other denomination then say so, but to save some time, if they believe as the pope does as to the afore mentioned topic, then they're in defiance of God's word in the Bible as well.

So I'm snarky when I doubt your words of not being hateful? LOL! Pot meets kettle. You just proved my point, you are just anti-Catholic. Probably use that to cover your pro-Gay stance via Protestantism. Maybe not, but it's snarky indeed.

High_Plains_Drifter
04-10-2020, 09:17 AM
So I'm snarky when I doubt your words of not being hateful? LOL! Pot meets kettle. You just proved my point, you are just anti-Catholic. Probably use that to cover your pro-Gay stance via Protestantism. Maybe not, but it's snarky indeed.
No, you're snarky when you use hyperbole like CONDEMN and your SHOCKED and will wait for my LEARNED RESPONSE. All little passive aggressive digs.

I know this is a touchy subject for you. You blew a gasket when I posted that video about similarities between catholicism and islam. It's just for people to watch and make up their own mind. Blow it off or believe it, makes no difference. It's information out there for people to consume.

But am I "ANTI CATHOLIC?" I challenge you to find anywhere on this board where I have STATED, I HATE CATHOLICS, I AM ANTI CATHOLIC. You're taking me pointing out the FACT that your pope is openly DEFYING the WORD OF GOD IN THE BIBLE about homos, and twisting it into... "YOU HAVE CATHOLICS."

I don't want to play this game, not when you're going to twist and turn, assume and accuse me of things that just aren't true because this topic is one that really sets you off. I honestly couldn't care LESS about catholics, or the POPE.

I'm out.

Kathianne
04-10-2020, 09:26 AM
No, you're snarky when you use hyperbole like CONDEMN and your SHOCKED and will wait for my LEARNED RESPONSE. All little passive aggressive digs.

I know this is a touchy subject for you. You blew a gasket when I posted that video about similarities betweencatholicism and islam. It's just for people to watch and make up their own mind. Blow it off or believe it, makes no difference. It's information out there for people to consume.

But am I "ANTI CATHOLIC?" I challenge you to find anywhere on this board where I have STATED, I HATE CATHOLICS, I AM ANTI CATHOLIC. You're taking me pointing out the FACT that your pope is openly DEFYING the WORD OF GOD IN THE BIBLE about homos, and twisting it into... "YOU HAVE CATHOLICS."

I don't want to play this game, not when you're going to twist and turn, assume and accuse me of things that just aren't true because this topic is one that really sets you off. I honestly couldn't care LESS about catholics, or the POPE.

I'm out.

Shockingly actions speak louder than words. You habitually write anti-Catholic missives, post anti-Catholic videos. You actually seem obsessed.

You will not find me writing anti-protestant anything, other than in response to the hateful, which includes yourself.

So, are you out of the closet? Many of your fellow protestants will not care, just look it up, even those on the 'right.'

FakeNewsSux
04-10-2020, 11:02 AM
On this Good Friday we are all reminded that Jesus died for all creation. We are all children of God and through the faith in God brought to us through baptism, we know that our sins have been forgiven through the Grace of God. We need to be more diligent in carrying out His final and greatest commandment to love each other as we love ourselves.

I do possess religious preferences but I don't believe that I am anti any particular religion. The founder of my denomination was a Catholic monk. The Son of God was Jewish. Abraham is a central figure in the Christian, Jewish and Muslim faiths. You may not believe this but last night, after watching a webcast of my church's Maundy Thursday service, I watched the Passover Seder on Jewish Life TV. I have many Jewish friends but have never participated in a seder and was interested in what it was like. Other than not understanding Hebrew, the stories and the traditions were all very familiar to me.

Just as the Passover reminds us of the ten plagues of Egypt and God's deliverance of his people, we're are told that Easter Sunday is to be the peak of our present day plague. May the Easter lesson of God's victory over death be made even more profound this year as God delivers his people to victory over COVID-19.

May God bless us all.

Kathianne
04-10-2020, 11:09 AM
On this Good Friday we are all reminded that Jesus died for all creation. We are all children of God and through the faith in God brought to us through baptism, we know that our sins have been forgiven through the Grace of God. We need to be more diligent in carrying out His final and greatest commandment to love each other as we love ourselves.

I do possess religious preferences but I don't believe that I am anti any particular religion. The founder of my denomination was a Catholic monk. The Son of God was Jewish. Abraham is a central figure in the Christian, Jewish and Muslim faiths. You may not believe this but last night, after watching a webcast of my church's Maundy Thursday service, I watched the Passover Seder on Jewish Life TV. I have many Jewish friends but have never participated in a seder and was interested in what it was like. Other than not understanding Hebrew, the stories and the traditions were all very familiar to me.

Just as the Passover reminds us of the ten plagues of Egypt and God's deliverance of his people, we're are told that Easter Sunday is to be the peak of our present day plague. May the Easter lesson of God's victory over death be made even more profound this year as God delivers his people to victory over COVID-19.

May God bless us all.

Yes, you are right. I've an ex that Jewish; one son and his wife as well. One that is an Evangelical born again; one that is a questioning Catholic.

I don't hate any religion and think that those seeking their own path towards God are to be admired. I don't have to agree with their choice. I'm not God.

I have seen though where not defending your faith may get you.

Kathianne
04-10-2020, 11:11 AM

I wish this had been along the line of your morning, Good Friday post.

jimnyc
04-10-2020, 11:11 AM
I have respect for the pope. I have respect for him as the leader of the catholic church. I was raised as a catholic and still consider myself so, but am not strict about that or anything religion related. I do respect all religions except for Islam. I believe in the teachings of the bible.

But honestly, ever since I was a kid I looked at the pope as a regular man, entitled to his own views and opinions. And while I don't verbally go out there speaking anything in church or to others, I'll listen to the bible first and foremost. And with all the respect for the pope, some things won't be changed from what I have learned and been taught.

Then there will be another pope, with his own beliefs and views. It is what it is. And I will grant them all my respect and time, I just don't let them re-make the bible. But I don't hate anyone for a differing view. I just simply disagree, as I would with anyone else. For example, if the pope presses something like climate change, I shrug and move along. I don't see the pope as perfect, even when it comes to religion.

I don't think these things I disagree with the pope about, to be anything malicious. I think perhaps his heart is in the right place, but some things I can't go along with.

High_Plains_Drifter
04-10-2020, 11:22 AM
Shockingly actions speak louder than words. You habitually write anti-Catholic missives, post anti-Catholic videos. You actually seem obsessed.

You will not find me writing anti-protestant anything, other than in response to the hateful, which includes yourself.

So, are you out of the closet? Many of your fellow protestants will not care, just look it up, even those on the 'right.'
Please show me my "HABITUAL ANTI CATHOLIC MISSIVES"... I WANT TO SEE THEM. THEY SHOULD BE EVERYWHERE, FIND ONE.

For crying out loud. So I have a problem with the pope being a liberal, SO THE FUCK WHAT? Why does that TRIGGER you so bad? Aren't I allowed to have my own opinion of the man?

Sheeeezuz Kathy, you're blowing this WAAAAAY out of proportion.

FakeNewsSux
04-10-2020, 11:22 AM
I wish this had been along the line of your morning, Good Friday post.

As a wise woman once taught me, "I have seen though where not defending your faith may get you."

Kathianne
04-10-2020, 11:27 AM
As a wise woman once taught me, "I have seen though where not defending your faith may get you."
Was someone attacking yours? From the front? From the flank? Let me see!

FakeNewsSux
04-10-2020, 11:32 AM
Was someone attacking yours? From the front? From the flank? Let me see!

It was meant in jest, I was hoping it would be received that way. I apologize if it was taken as an attack.

May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May the Lord's Face shine upon you and be gracious unto you.
May the Lord lift His countenance upon you and give you peace.

Kathianne
04-10-2020, 11:37 AM
It was meant in jest, I was hoping it would be received that way. I apologize if it was taken as an attack.

May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May the Lord's Grace shine upon you and be gracious unto you.
May the Lord lift His countenance upon you and give you peace.

Thank you! Here's one in return:

May those who love us, love us, and those who don't, may God turn their hearts, and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping.

Abbey Marie
04-10-2020, 12:31 PM
Actually there is a ton of anti-Catholic feeling here, always has been. Not surprise. As a former Catholic, I know you know the teachings on the Pope are not that he is infallible in any manner other than regarding the teachings of Christ. He's not infallible as a man, as a priest, etc. I now you know that.

I don’t think most non-Catholics make that distinction.

Abbey Marie
04-10-2020, 12:35 PM

May God bless us all.

^^ This ^^

Thank you, FNS.

Kathianne
04-10-2020, 12:36 PM
I don’t think most non-Catholics make that distinction.
Which is why one needs to make the distinction. They work from ignorance and bad teachings of their religious leaders.

Abbey Marie
04-10-2020, 12:46 PM
Which is why one needs to make the distinction. They work from ignorance and bad teachings of their religious leaders.

I myself have experienced a couple of religious speakers really tearing down the Catholic Church.
I mean like it is practically the root of all evil to come. Russ and I did not like it, nor did we buy the supposed prophecies about the Church. But we try to be discerning about what we hear preached (which is why I question this Pope, too).

To your point, it can get really nasty, and I totally understand why it bothers you. It would bother me, too.

I think a good test for what what we hear is, does it come from love and the Bible, or something more sinister? Particularly in the more obscure passages as in Revelation, we need to be very careful that the preacher isn’t following his own agenda. To sell books, for example.

Finally, my Mah Jongg group are all devout practicing Catholics. One goes to Mass every single day, another does all sorts of volunteer work for the poor at the Church. They are all great women and are exemplary Catholics.

Kathianne
04-10-2020, 12:53 PM
I myself have experienced a couple of religious speakers really tearing down the Catholic Church.
I mean like it is practically the root of all evil to come. Russ and I did not like it, nor did we buy the supposed prophecies about the Church. But we try to be discerning about what we hear preached (which is why I question this Pope, too).

To your point, it can get really nasty, and I totally understand why it bothers you. It would bother me, too.

I think a good test for what what we hear is, does it come from love and the Bible, or something more sinister? Particularly in the more obscure passages as in Revelation, we need to be very careful that the preacher isn’t following his own agenda. To sell books, for example.

Finally, my Mah Jongg group are all devout practicing Catholics. One goes to Mass every single day, another does all sorts of volunteer work for the poor at the Church. They are all great women and are exemplary Catholics.

I tend to be of the mindset that those trained up in a loving God, don't tend towards hating others, even those whose behaviors we judge wrong. I don't condone homosexuality, but calling them names or damning them? Well that just isn't my jam or lane. It's God's lane.

I don't see much 'peace' in Islam, though I do know that most are not out murdering, planning murders, whether through planes, knives, or beheadings. I surely would not seek out Muslim neighbors as friends, though I don't seek out anyone to be friends, IF somehow our paths did cross and I found them friendly, well yea.

I had very good parents, they made mistakes. They also made clear that the modeled themselves after the Holy Family, but could never be as perfect as God the Father-the father of us all. That is church teachings.

Kathianne
04-10-2020, 12:56 PM

Most of my friends are Protestants, but not of the ilk of some here, though they share some denominations. They too have heard ministers go off on the 'Catholics' and didn't like it.

Weirdly, I've never, not once, heard a priest say anything derogatory about any other religion.

Russ
04-11-2020, 07:26 PM
...the teachings on the Pope are not that he is infallible in any manner other than regarding the teachings of Christ. He's not infallible as a man, as a priest...

That is interesting. Speaking as a non-Catholic, I have to say I did not realize that - I thought that Catholics considered the Pope infallible in general. How are people to know when the Pope is speaking based on the teaching of Christ, and when he is just speaking in general?

Kathianne
04-11-2020, 07:47 PM
That is interesting. Speaking as a non-Catholic, I have to say I did not realize that - I thought that Catholics considered the Pope infallible in general. How are people to know when the Pope is speaking based on the teaching of Christ, and when he is just speaking in general?
As with most Catholic law or law in general, it’s complicated. Infallibility only pertains to issues concerning Jesus’s teachings, so something HE said or did.

Not or eating meat or dietary laws or Old Testament stuff. Not possible to explain and I’m no expert. But things like holy days, behaviors, are changeable. Like executive orders if you will.