PDA

View Full Version : happiness

truthmatters
09-11-2007, 11:08 AM

Dilloduck
09-11-2007, 11:18 AM
http://tinyurl.com/yuyfvx

This is a study done on what ahppiness is and what makes people happy. It made me happy to read it and I think you may make you happy too.

We enjoy behaving virtuously

Now THAT outta open up a can of worms ! :laugh2:

truthmatters
09-11-2007, 11:21 AM

PostmodernProphet
09-11-2007, 12:41 PM
actually, this study made me very sad.....because I realized it was probably funded by the federal government.....and anyone with a half hour to spare could have come up with the same list for free.....

truthmatters
09-11-2007, 01:19 PM

darin
09-11-2007, 01:38 PM
There is no happiness in a state of sin, separate from God. There is a way to become pacified in one's state; but not true happiness nor joy. Nope.

truthmatters
09-11-2007, 01:58 PM

darin
09-11-2007, 02:07 PM
This is an oppinion and ot fact.

There are societities who do not believe in any western type God who are just as happy as those who do.

The idea of God does alot of good for alot of people but it is not a requirement in human happiness.

There are studies now showig that more and more people are not believing in a higher being.
Many are just trusting science to determine what they believe.
Its going to be fine for mankind because it is a part of being human to feel good about treating each other well as this study shows.

It's simply ME telling you a Fact. Whether your believe me or not is YOUR Call and has no adverse bearing on the fact it's absolutely 'true'.

hjmick
09-11-2007, 02:10 PM
There is no happiness in a state of sin, separate from God. There is a way to become pacified in one's state; but not true happiness nor joy. Nope.

While I understand and respect this sentiment, I must respectfully disagree. Where this may be a true statement for a person of faith, a person who believes in his or her religion, this point of view reflects a myopic view of the world at large as well as those practitioners of other faiths.

Buddhists, Hindus, Taoists, and Sikhs can't be has happy as those who worship God?

As an Agnostic and recovering Catholic, I can honestly say that I can not imagine being happer with my life than I am today. I certainly respect anyone's right to worship in whatever way the deem fit, but I take umbrage when someone tries to tell me that unless I worship as they do I cannot be truly happy. You may believe this, and I get that, but as for me, I'm doing splendidly, thank you. Finding my wife and freeing myself of the guilt so often found in the Church have made me happier than I have ever been.

I am glad that your religion helps make you happy, my lack of religion helps my happiness as well.

hjmick
09-11-2007, 02:13 PM
It's simply ME telling you a Fact. Whether your believe me or not is YOUR Call and has no adverse bearing on the fact it's absolutely 'true'.

It's "true" for you. For you and, of course, millions of others. But as we so often see, what is "true" for one person (or millions), is not necessarily "true" for another (or millions of others).

darin
09-11-2007, 02:13 PM
While I understand and respect this sentiment, I must respectfully disagree. Where this may be a true statement for a person of faith, a person who believes in his or her religion, this point of view reflects a myopic view of the world at large as well as those practitioners of other faiths.

Buddhists, Hindus, Taoists, and Sikhs can't be has happy as those who worship God?

As an Agnostic and recovering Catholic, I can honestly say that I can not imagine being happer with my life than I am today. I certainly respect anyone's right to worship in whatever way the deem fit, but I take umbrage when someone tries to tell me that unless I worship as they do I cannot be truly happy. You may believe this, and I get that, but as for me, I'm doing splendidly, thank you. Finding my wife and freeing myself of the guilt so often found in the Church have made me happier than I have ever been.

I am glad that your religion helps make you happy, my lack of religion helps my happiness as well.

You could teach LiesMatter a lot about 'how to reply' :)

FWIW...you're wrong.

:poke::salute:

hjmick
09-11-2007, 02:21 PM
You could teach LiesMatter a lot about 'how to reply' :)

FWIW...you're wrong.

:poke::salute:

Thank you for the compliment.

It's a matter of respect, I suppose. We may not agree about religion, what obviously works for you didn't/doesn't work for me, but I respect your beliefs and your right to believe them. I recognize that millions find comfort in religion, who am I to tell them they are wrong?

Who knows, in time I may return to the Church, I doubt it, but you never know. After 30 years or so, my mother recently returned to the fold. As I said, I'm Agnostic, not an Atheist. At least not yet.

darin
09-11-2007, 02:23 PM
Thank you for the compliment.

It's a matter of respect, I suppose. We may not agree about religion, what obviously works for you didn't/doesn't work for me, but I respect your beliefs and your right to believe them. I recognize that millions find comfort in religion, who am I to tell them they are wrong?

Who knows, in time I may return to the Church, I doubt it, but you never know. After 30 years or so, my mother recently returned to the fold. As I said, I'm Agnostic, not an Atheist. At least not yet.

At the risk of preaching: "God shows himself to those who really, truly seek. Don't look to 'church' to help...look to God."

:beer:

hjmick
09-11-2007, 02:36 PM
At the risk of preaching: "God shows himself to those who really, truly seek. Don't look to 'church' to help...look to God."

Excellent quote, and I get it. They are especially true for me as I, while making my life choices, frequently questioned the necessity of Churches and organized religion.

I figure the Commandments are a fine guidline by which to live our lives. If I'm respectful to other people and a decent human being as I go through life and it turns out I've been wrong, my hope is that He is a forgiving God.

darin
09-11-2007, 02:40 PM
my hope is that He is a forgiving God.

Oh but he IS! You just need to ask and believe, brother.

GW in Ohio
09-11-2007, 02:46 PM

I have a question for our Christian members......

Do you think it's possible for anyone to be truly happy if they don't have a personal relationship with Jesus?

Abbey Marie
09-11-2007, 02:50 PM
For some, happiness apparently is starting thread after thread on a message board with nonsensical studies and polls, and then ignoring every fact shown to them. Go figure.

truthmatters
09-11-2007, 02:52 PM

darin
09-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Do you think it's not possible for anyone to be truly happy unless they have a personal relationship with Jesus?

In my statements above God = Jesus. Jesus = God.

Right.

PostmodernProphet
09-11-2007, 03:02 PM
What made you think it was government funded?

well, since one of the conclusions wasn't "Drinking Pepsi", I assumed it wasn't funded by a corporation......not many studies out there that aren't funded by the government......

truthmatters
09-11-2007, 03:08 PM

PostmodernProphet
09-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Are you aware colleges and universities do studies strictly for educational value?

????....who do you think pays for those studies that colleges and universities do for educational value?.......that's where pork barrel spending GOES.......

Cheyenne
09-11-2007, 03:21 PM
All my life I have recieved cruel treatment by people who say they are christains.
I have met people who truely seem to follow the faith and treat me kindly even though I am a non believer.

I have never found it a certainty that christans are happier than others who are not.
I believe this is one of the saddest posts I've ever read.

I wonder what it is with Christians; a type of arrogance that they have the 'truth' & damned be to those who don't.
Most Christians go only so far in their Christian maturity, while others are forced into growing up. Those are the ones that are set apart. Those are the ones that are happy amid all the trials, tribulations & grief that life can sling at them.

I have met a few non-Christians that have a good & well-meaning heart; full of compassion. They abide by principles that were taught to them as wee ones; something second-nature that they aren't aware of.

As to whether a non-Christian can be as happy as a Christian? Good & bad falls on the just & unjust. So maybe some are. But I think most are deluded into thinking so. The have a new house, a pretty/handsome spouse, good job, healthy kids......but there isn't peace in their hearts.
And that is where a person operates from. It's their core. It's who they are. EVERYTHING comes from the heart.

PostmodernProphet
09-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Do you think it's not possible for anyone to be truly happy unless they have a personal relationship with Jesus?

/shrugs....some people will tell you they are happy with a fresh orgasm.....

some people know Christ, but still feel the shock of sudden bad news......are they unhappy?....of course....do they react to it differently than unbelievers?....yes.....

PostmodernProphet
09-11-2007, 03:27 PM
I wonder what it is with Christians; a type of arrogance that they have the 'truth' & damned be to those who don't.

sorry if you consider it arrogance, Cheyenne, but it was God that set it up that way, not us......if you don't believe in God, yes you are 'damned'......not sure why it ticks you off....if you don't believe in him why be upset because he won't let you into a place you don't believe exists anyway?....

I always figure if you are going to create your own god, you better create your own paradise while you are at it.....

darin
09-11-2007, 03:30 PM
sorry if you consider it arrogance, Cheyenne, but it was God that set it up that way, not us......if you don't believe in God, yes you are 'damned'......not sure why it ticks you off....if you don't believe in him why be upset because he won't let you into a place you don't believe exists anyway?....

I always figure if you are going to create your own god, you better create your own paradise while you are at it.....

I missed part of her post - but she is onto something. There are people who claim to be christians, yet do not know the heart of Christ. Those are the people who tarnish and turn people from God.

It's quite true, however, apart from Christ, there's NO way to heaven, God, etc.

There is only ONE way. His.

truthmatters
09-11-2007, 03:40 PM

GW in Ohio
09-11-2007, 03:40 PM
In my experience, some of the most miserable bastards I've ever met have been committed, hard-and-fast, church-going, active Christians.

And some of the happiest people I've met have also been Christians.

The conclusion, I think, is that being a Christian is no guarantee of being happy.

Or even being a nice person.

Dilloduck
09-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Look at how I am treated on this site as an example. I get treated like a leper here and am able to resist responding in kind. They call me all sorts of things and insult my family and I dont respond with anything but peace.

:lol:

truthmatters
09-11-2007, 04:46 PM

09-11-2007, 04:50 PM
"Happiness is the object and design of our existence; and will be the end thereof, if we pursue the path that leads to it; and this path is virtue, uprightness, faithfulness, holiness, and keeping all the commandments of God. But we cannot keep all the commandments without first knowing them, and we cannot expect to know all, or more than we now know unless we comply with or keep those we have already received. That which is wrong under one circumstance, may be, and often is, right under another."

this sums up what I think of happiness.

truthmatters
09-11-2007, 04:58 PM

Cheyenne
09-11-2007, 05:06 PM
sorry if you consider it arrogance, Cheyenne, but it was God that set it up that way, not usWow, where you got your conclusion from is a mystery to me. An no, God did not set up "arrogance".
There is a great difference in being a knowledgeable, kind, proud, Christian than the arrogance that some have.
but .......if you don't believe in God, yes you are 'damned'......not sure why it ticks you offAgain I don't see where you get this. Yes, without the acceptance of Jesus Christ people are damned. But how dare you sit in the seat of judgment; I don't think you're up quite high enough.
Nor am I referring to being "non-judgmental". God gave us eyes & ears, therefore we can learn right from wrong. And if it isn't within the teachings of the Bible then we have a responsibility to stand up against it. But for anyone to hold that 'holier than thou' attitude is wrong. The Bible says that all have fallen short of the glory of God. That includes Christians, as well.
..if you don't believe in him why be upset because he won't let you into a place you don't believe exists anyway?....
I always figure if you are going to create your own god, you better create your own paradise while you are at it.....How do you come to the conclusion that I don't believe in Him?

Abbey Marie
09-11-2007, 05:07 PM
See what I mean.

There is not really anyone on the right here who is willing to just discuss the facts they are much more interested in insulting people on the left.

Nice generalization. Does that not qualify as an insult in your world?

But if that's the way you see it, no one is forcing you to post here, you know. :dunno:

Cheyenne
09-11-2007, 05:07 PM
I dont understand what is sad about my post from your prospective ,could you explain?That Christians have left such a bad taste in your mouth.

09-11-2007, 05:16 PM
Are non christains doomed to not know happiness in your mind?

You seem to think that is a stagnate population. That people are either Christian or non-Christian. The fact is many people who are non-Christian now will be Christians someday and sadly many Christians now may be non-Christians someday.

Happiness comes from virtue. Virtue is based on a knowledge of the truth. A knowledge of things as they are, as they were, and as they will someday be. And uncorrupted Christianity is true. Jesus Christ lives. If you deny this then you will grow only to a point and then you will be stopped from progressing. If you cant progress you cant obtain happiness to its full potential.

truthmatters
09-11-2007, 05:17 PM

Abbey Marie
09-11-2007, 05:20 PM
If we are discussing religion, the better question is whether one feels fulfilled, and at peace in one's heart; not "happy". Being a Christian in no way ensures happiness. In fact, we know that the way is hard and narrow.

Abbey Marie
09-11-2007, 05:26 PM
I have know some Very fine Christains so I dont let myself ever think less of someone when they tell me they are chriatains.

This is for Abby

I would love to be proven wrong on that statement. Im very hopeful and I have known wonderful, fair and kind conservatives so Im always waiting for peoples better side to emerge. I have seen it happen.

It's Abbey, with an "e".

What would you consider our "better sides"? Agreeing with you and your Johnny-one-note anti-Bush, anti-Republican, anti-Christian posts? Don't hold your breath on that one.

Plenty of people have tried to debate you here fairly and with civility, but you ignore what they say, while simultaneously whining about how insulting we all are. Btw, did you know that it is insulting to ignore people?

It must be cozy to sit there and post away secure in your false knowledge that everyone is against poor you. Oh, and what was that other thread? We are unable to process new information? Another huge insult from the perpetual victim.

truthmatters
09-11-2007, 05:52 PM

Dilloduck
09-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Sorry about misspelling your name.
I try my best to answer all questions posed to me. I might miss some at times because so many people are asking me questions and I get up and down from the computer all day long doing my daily things.I would consider not calling me names and insulting me civility (I do not expect it).I have only mentioned the insults a few times.

The other thread of which you speak was a news article I spotted and posted in hopes people would begin to see they are refusing any facts which dont fit their preconcieved notions of this war and admin.

They are very small potatoes to the constant barrage I recieve here daily.
I can take it and I have for some time. I was just hoping people would add a little substance along with the insults at times.

Maybe we can start a thread just for you entitled " things that TM hasn't bothered to respond to yet because she is abused so much". Will that help ya ?

truthmatters
09-11-2007, 06:24 PM

Dilloduck
09-11-2007, 06:28 PM
I never said I dont answer because people insult me. I have many questions posed me all day long and sometimes when you see me on Im not on.
Im off doing my daily stuff and forgot to log off. When I come back I dont end up seeing the question because its buried back in the thread. Sometimes I have already answered and the person I answerd did not see it.

Bullshit---when you get cornered you run. Have you figured out who declared war on the US yet ?

PostmodernProphet
09-11-2007, 06:40 PM
An no, God did not set up "arrogance".

???....I never said he did....I said you considered what God set up to be arrogance.....

truthmatters
09-11-2007, 06:45 PM

Cheyenne
09-11-2007, 06:49 PM
???....I never said he did....I said you considered what God set up to be arrogance.....
Apparently then, I misunderstood what you were getting at. I apologize.

No, what I said was people's [attitudes] were arrogant.

PostmodernProphet
09-11-2007, 07:01 PM
An no, God did not set up "arrogance".

Cheyenne
09-11-2007, 07:02 PM
And I apologized for misunderstanding.

PostmodernProphet
09-11-2007, 07:04 PM
and I have no idea how that posted twice.....