PDA

View Full Version : New guy

Evmetro
04-20-2020, 08:40 PM
I just signed up yesterday, after lots of forum shopping. I have been a member of many political forums over the years, but I never get that feeling of being at home on any of them. This place appears small and civilized, perhaps it will be right for me.

I am a righty, I voted for Trump, and I plant to vote for him again.

What may be unusual about me is my news, propaganda, and media menu. Because I want to know the truth about our political landscape, I study a very broad range of media that spans from fringe right to fringe left. I realize of course that the actual truth is something that I will probably never know, so I triangulate the "most likely" truth from as many sources as possible, regardless of any bias of the source. Daily Kos and Vox are fine for me, just as infowars and fringe right YouTube channels are. Don Lemon, justice Jeanine, CNN, Fox, OAN and Rush Limbaugh are all great too. I study them all, but I trust none. I am a news and propaganda junkie, and I use all sources to triangulate the most likely truth.

Anyway, I hope this site ends up being a good hangout for me. God bless all.

Black Diamond
04-20-2020, 08:41 PM
Welcome

Kathianne
04-20-2020, 08:53 PM
I just signed up yesterday, after lots of forum shopping. I have been a member of many political forums over the years, but I never get that feeling of being at home on any of them. This place appears small and civilized, perhaps it will be right for me.

What may be unusual about me is my news, propaganda, and media menu. Because I want to know the truth about our political landscape, I study a very broad range of media that spans from fringe right to fringe left. I realize of course that the actual truth is something that I will probably never know, so I triangulate the "most likely" truth from as many sources as possible, regardless of any bias of the source. Daily Kos and Vox are fine for me, just as infowars and fringe right YouTube channels are. Don Lemon, justice Jeanine, CNN, Fox, OAN and Rush Limbaugh are all great too. I study them all, but I trust none. I am a news and propaganda junkie, and I use all sources to triangulate the most likely truth.

I too read most anything, even post some from the dreaded 'fake news.' Funny thing, folks like fake news sources when it's what they like. It's only fake when it's not 'right.'

Most people here are tolerant of most things. They won't agree when they don't, but they will talk to you againd and again.

Evmetro
04-20-2020, 09:55 PM
I too read most anything, even post some from the dreaded 'fake news.' Funny thing, folks like fake news sources when it's what they like. It's only fake when it's not 'right.'

Most people here are tolerant of most things. They won't agree when they don't, but they will talk to you againd and again.

It takes life experience and experience vetting news stories to be able to really understand what fake news is. When I find a news story that I want to believe, I do take the time to vet the story. I have found that it is easiest to fall for fake news when I watch news that satisfies my own bias, so I've had to learn how to NOT trust the news sources that I like the most unless I vet the information the same way I vet info from opposing biased sites.

Kathianne
04-20-2020, 10:01 PM
It takes life experience and experience vetting news stories to be able to really understand what fake news is. When I find a news story that I want to believe, I do take the time to vet the story. I have found that it is easiest to fall for fake news when I watch news that satisfies my own bias, so I've had to learn how to NOT trust the news sources that I like the most unless I vet the information the same way I vet info from opposing biased sites.
You don't question what you agree with in the same way you do with that which gets a reaction. Normal. Bias isn't fake, though TDS is real that some, most highly noticed CNN and NYT have lost all semblance of balance.

It's just shocking when NYT actually writes something true and favorable about Trump.

Might wonder why so rare? According to this, 60% of Dems blame Trump more than China for cornonavirus. Nuts.

Evmetro
04-20-2020, 10:18 PM
You don't question what you agree with in the same way you do with that which gets a reaction. Normal. Bias isn't fake, though TDS is real that some, most highly noticed CNN and NYT have lost all semblance of balance.

It's just shocking when NYT actually writes something true and favorable about Trump.

Might wonder why so rare? According to this, 60% of Dems blame Trump more than China for cornonavirus. Nuts.
Spot on. I like to treat ALL media as if it is biased, which it really is. It's ok that it is all biased though, as long as we know what we are handling.

SassyLady
04-21-2020, 12:21 AM

Looking forward to your perspective evmetro. You'll find a lot of info here.

My favorite word is Discernment. It's vital to have in your toolkit.

hjmick
04-21-2020, 06:35 AM
There goes the neighborhood.

Evmetro
04-21-2020, 08:05 AM
There goes the neighborhood.

Lol, small world.

hjmick
04-21-2020, 08:05 AM
Lol, small world.

Indeed it is...

High_Plains_Drifter
04-21-2020, 08:06 AM
Lol, small world.
It appears you two know each other...

hjmick
04-21-2020, 08:10 AM
It appears you two know each other...

I'd say that we're familiar with each other's nom de guerre, but I do not believe we've ever actually crossed swords...

Evmetro
04-21-2020, 08:11 AM
Looking forward to your perspective evmetro. You'll find a lot of info here.

My favorite word is Discernment. It's vital to have in your toolkit.

Thank you. It is interesting that you brought up discernment. Objectively is one of my favorite tools in my toolkit, but discernment is closely related.

jimnyc
04-21-2020, 09:27 AM

Welcome to the board! I'm a lot like that in that I will get 30-40 news sites per day, gather all the info I can and make my own determinations. Not hard to gather the truth in between all of the crappy opinions.

Again, Welcome! :salute:

Drummond
04-21-2020, 09:55 AM
Welcome, Evmetro. I hope you enjoy your time here.

You raise an interesting point about bias. For the most part, I'd say you make a perfectly fair point ... however .... be very careful when it comes to equivocation.

The Left has its biased press.

The Right, likewise, has its biased press. BUT .. I'd suggest that full equivocation isn't fairly possible. One side will, I suggest, go to far darker, far more disreputable, depths in order to win out.

An example: the Left wing British newspaper, the Guardian, didn't want to see GW Bush elected. So, they decided to arrange their own intervention. What they did was to get British readers contact people in a Swing State, Clark County, to rethink their vote if it was going to be for the Republican side.

Have you ever heard of a newspaper trying to rig an election in its chosen favour, in a foreign country ? Because the Guardian tried.

So far as I know, no other publication has ever tried anything the equivalent of this.

See:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/oct/18/uselections2004.usa2

Its contents speak for themselves.

As tempting as it might be to try it ... equivocation between Left and Right methodologies just doesn't work. Yes, you have to choose between truth and lie -- but keeping in mind what motivates those who print or disseminate what they do, is also a part of the picture.

Anyway, have a great time here !

Abbey Marie
04-21-2020, 07:47 PM
I'd say that we're familiar with each other's nom de guerre, but I do not believe we've ever actually crossed swords...

Isn't that a gay euphemism?

:coffee:

Abbey Marie
04-21-2020, 07:50 PM

Welcome! Good to have you.

And I won’t hold your knowing Mick against you. ;)

High_Plains_Drifter
04-21-2020, 08:24 PM
Isn't that a gay euphemism?

:coffee:
- - - - - - - :laugh:

LongTermGuy
04-21-2020, 08:35 PM
​Welcome.....

Evmetro
04-21-2020, 09:35 PM
Welcome, Evmetro. I hope you enjoy your time here.

You raise an interesting point about bias. For the most part, I'd say you make a perfectly fair point ... however .... be very careful when it comes to equivocation.

The Left has its biased press.

The Right, likewise, has its biased press. BUT .. I'd suggest that full equivocation isn't fairly possible. One side will, I suggest, go to far darker, far more disreputable, depths in order to win out.

An example: the Left wing British newspaper, the Guardian, didn't want to see GW Bush elected. So, they decided to arrange their own intervention. What they did was to get British readers contact people in a Swing State, Clark County, to rethink their vote if it was going to be for the Republican side.

Have you ever heard of a newspaper trying to rig an election in its chosen favour, in a foreign country ? Because the Guardian tried.

So far as I know, no other publication has ever tried anything the equivalent of this.

See:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/oct/18/uselections2004.usa2

Its contents speak for themselves.

As tempting as it might be to try it ... equivocation between Left and Right methodologies just doesn't work. Yes, you have to choose between truth and lie -- but keeping in mind what motivates those who print or disseminate what they do, is also a part of the picture.

Anyway, have a great time here !

Great post. I have only been here a couple days, and I already have discernment and equivocation in my tool kit. I think I'm going to like this place.

Evmetro
04-21-2020, 09:47 PM
Welcome! Good to have you.

And I won’t hold your knowing Mick against you. ;)

Thanks. Never had any conflict with that guy on the site we know each other from, and I tend to have lots of conflict with my political opponents. Interesting.

Kathianne
04-21-2020, 10:40 PM
Thanks. Never had any conflict with that guy on the site we know each other from, and I tend to have lots of conflict with my political opponents. Interesting.
Mick is good people!

icansayit
04-22-2020, 12:02 AM
Welcome....(I know you can't see my whole face) Gettin' tired of wearing this Mickey Mouse Mask from my grandaughter. Congrats....you're also, no longer the New Guy here. Join the party.