PDA

View Full Version : Coronavirus has mutated into at least 30 different strains new study finds

jimnyc
04-21-2020, 10:39 AM
I heard as things went along that they detected different strains, and that it had mutated between animals, but I had no idea 30 different strains.

--

Coronavirus has mutated into at least 30 different strains new study finds

A new study in China has found that the novel coronavirus has mutated into at least 30 different variations.

The results showed that medical officials have vastly underestimated the overall ability of the virus to mutate, in findings that different strains have affected different parts of the world, leading to potential difficulties in finding an overall cure.

The study was carried out by Professor Li Lanjuan and colleagues from Zhejiang University in Hangzhou, China and published in a non-peer reviewed paper released on website medRxiv.org on Sunday.

Li's team analyzed the strains from 11 randomly chosen coronavirus patients from Hangzhou, where there have been 1,264 reported cases, and then tested how efficiently they could infect and kill cells.
More than 30 different mutations were detected, of which 19 were previously undiscovered.

“Sars-CoV-2 has acquired mutations capable of substantially changing its pathogenicity,” Li wrote in the paper.

Rest - https://www.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE/Coronavirus-has-mutated-into-at-least-30-different-strains-new-study-finds-625333

Drummond
04-21-2020, 11:22 AM
I heard as things went along that they detected different strains, and that it had mutated between animals, but I had no idea 30 different strains.

--

Coronavirus has mutated into at least 30 different strains new study finds

A new study in China has found that the novel coronavirus has mutated into at least 30 different variations.

The results showed that medical officials have vastly underestimated the overall ability of the virus to mutate, in findings that different strains have affected different parts of the world, leading to potential difficulties in finding an overall cure.

The study was carried out by Professor Li Lanjuan and colleagues from Zhejiang University in Hangzhou, China and published in a non-peer reviewed paper released on website medRxiv.org on Sunday.

Li's team analyzed the strains from 11 randomly chosen coronavirus patients from Hangzhou, where there have been 1,264 reported cases, and then tested how efficiently they could infect and kill cells.
More than 30 different mutations were detected, of which 19 were previously undiscovered.

“Sars-CoV-2 has acquired mutations capable of substantially changing its pathogenicity,” Li wrote in the paper.

Rest - https://www.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE/Coronavirus-has-mutated-into-at-least-30-different-strains-new-study-finds-625333

I'd heard it was three strains. THIRTY ? That's a big problem.

So, if / when a 'cure' is found, that cure needs to act against whatever common denominator each strain has. Otherwise, how will we get that 'magic bullet' for them all ?

Well ... the common cold has a great many mutated forms of it, which is why no cure has been found. What if Covid-19 turns out to be comparably tough to tackle ? Will human existence on this planet become a precarious state for us all ?

NightTrain
04-21-2020, 11:44 AM
This bug has been mutating since the beginning at an alarming rate.

I'm deeply suspicious that the ChiComs were tweaking this in the lab for massively faster mutating rates and it infected and escaped Patient Zero.

It's not the first or even second time a bug has escaped one of their labs.

And that would explain why China pulled out all the stops in deflecting, covering up, destroying samples and research papers, disappearing researchers and doctors, and aggressively attacking anyone suspicious of this coming from the labs in Wuhan.

The really puzzling maneuver to me is why they isolated Wihan, belatedly, but kept international flights to the rest of the world going. It's almost like they knew they were about to be crippled and wanted the rest of the planet to join them - sort of keeping a level playing field economically and militarily.

I love that Germany submitted a 160 Billion bill, and I hope every country does the same. No one can force them to pay it, but there are other ways.

They need to be held accountable.

High_Plains_Drifter
04-21-2020, 11:44 AM
So we're just going to be dealing with this garbage... FOREVER.

THANKS CHINA... I swear... they need to pay, and I mean BIG TIME. The last HOW MANY viruses have come out of china, 4, 5... 6?

Enough is enough.

Kathianne
04-21-2020, 12:01 PM
This bug has been mutating since the beginning at an alarming rate.

I'm deeply suspicious that the ChiComs were tweaking this in the lab for massively faster mutating rates and it infected and escaped Patient Zero.

It's not the first or even second time a bug has escaped one of their labs.

And that would explain why China pulled out all the stops in deflecting, covering up, destroying samples and research papers, disappearing researchers and doctors, and aggressively attacking anyone suspicious of this coming from the labs in Wuhan.

The really puzzling maneuver to me is why they isolated Wihan, belatedly, but kept international flights to the rest of the world going. It's almost like they knew they were about to be crippled and wanted the rest of the planet to join them - sort of keeping a level playing field economically and militarily.

I love that Germany submitted a 160 Billion bill, and I hope every country does the same. No one can force them to pay it, but there are other ways.

They need to be held accountable.

The way they isolated Wuhan and let the travel happen worldwide, though mostly to the West is why I've repeatedly said that even if it was just an 'accident' that it was released, ever since it began, China has treated this as a bio-weapon, including selling faulty tests and equipment to worsen the pandemic.

NightTrain
04-21-2020, 12:10 PM
The way they isolated Wuhan and let the travel happen worldwide, though mostly to the West is why I've repeatedly said that even if it was just an 'accident' that it was released, ever since it began, China has treated this as a bio-weapon, including selling faulty tests and equipment to worsen the pandemic.

Yeah, from a medical standpoint that is unthinkable.

Hell, remember that China criticized Trump for shutting down air traffic? At that point they absolutely knew it was wildly out of control, and yet expressed anger that infected people were being prevented from traveling to America.

That pretty much spells it out. They wanted us to go along for the ride.

As far as the useless tests they were shipping all over the world... I assumed that it was more 'Made in China' garbage - but you may be on to something. That would fit with the rest of China's bizarre behavior in this.

The more that things unfold, the more it's pointing to deliberate pandemic boosting efforts on their part.

Communism : The Gift that keeps on giving.