PDA

View Full Version : How Donald Trump Should Make China Pay for Coronavirus

jimnyc
04-21-2020, 02:37 PM
And also even if inadvertent, and suppose it wasn't even from that lab, suppose it was in fact an animal and simply hit a person.

They STILL held back information.

They STILL allowed people by the millions to fly out of Wuhan.

It wasn't until a pandemic was well under why, numbers or not, before they told the truth.

--

How Donald Trump Should Make China Pay for Coronavirus

Suppose, for the sake of argument, that Chinese researchers did release the coronavirus into the populace, spawning effects we have all come to know personally and intimately. And let’s assume it was an inadvertent release. That is a safe assumption. What should Trump do about it?

Huh. All the best people assured me that only conspiracy theorists could entertain the possibility that the coronavirus might have escaped from a laboratory in Wuhan. Wuhan, the city where the outbreak started. From a laboratory where the staff was known to be working on coronaviruses. A laboratory where precautions against such a release were reportedly spotty. Occam’s Razor rules out such a farfetched confluence of circumstances.

It’s inconceivable!

But humor me. Let’s think about the unthinkable. Suppose, for the sake of argument, that Chinese researchers did release the coronavirus into the populace, spawning effects we have all come to know personally and intimately. And let’s assume it was an inadvertent release. That is a safe assumption. If the pandemic is a biological-warfare attack, it’s the clumsiest one imaginable using the clumsiest delivery system imaginable—China’s populace. It’s utterly indiscriminate—an assault on the entire world. And the attack could circle around back to China via cross-border travel or trade. It could prove self-defeating.

That Beijing would commit such an act in such a way verges on unthinkable.

That it might blunder is plausible, though. How might U.S. policy change if Western intelligence services determine the pandemic is the result of human error, slipshod biosecurity procedures, or some other form of malfeasance rather than a virus jumping from animals to humans in an outdoor marketplace? Henry Kissinger reputedly joked that Cold War bureaucrats could game national-security decision-making by presenting their superiors three options during any geopolitical standoff: (1) do nothing, (2) nuke ‘em, or (3) do what I think we ought to do. Seldom was inaction or firing doomsday weapons agreeable in Washington, where appearing resolute—but not Dr. Strangelove resolute—was at a premium. Such a bureaucrat really proposed just one course of action, hoping to narrow thinking among senior officials.

Rest - https://nationalinterest.org/feature/how-donald-trump-should-make-china-pay-coronavirus-146027

Kathianne
04-21-2020, 03:24 PM
Excellent article/opinion piece. I agree with just about all. I do think that incentives for bringing American owned businesses back or at least relocated to friendly nations should be added.

It's interesting to me that the most unsettling supply issue was on food/household goods. People do get upset at the thought that toilet paper and beans aren't just waiting for them, I guess.

Look around though at Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot though. What you'll notice is empty shelves in goods made in China. Home Depot/Lowe's have plenty of ag equipment made in the USA, but if made in China? Missing for the most part. Walmart? Outside of grocery every department has been scrambling trying to fill shelves, even going so far as spreading out goods still available to make it less obvious. A big no, no, in stores that are broken down into aisle, section, shelf #, and position #. No laptops, dwindling pre-paid phones. Nearly 0 unlocked phones. No soundbars, running out of tv. (Do you know how crazy people with stimulus checks are when they want to buy 75" UHD tv and a PS4 and neither is available?) Oh boy? Can't tell you how much swearing there's been over no wireless controllers and they have to leave with one of the remaining wired controllers. Sheesh!

Truth is these goods also provide China the possibility towards even more industrial theft and it needs to be shut down. There's no reason for making such easy for them. I think our universities should be limited in allowing student visas from China, same with work visas even in 'needy' industries.