PDA

View Full Version : A quick question for you constitutional junkies

Said1
09-11-2007, 08:31 PM
Has your government ever named any church as a public institution, subject to government oversight (intervention to control social problems etc). Possibly in the cases of the Catholic priests and molestation cover ups?

I may not be wording that right, but I can say that within our constitution there is no written separation between church and state (although it is inferred) and the above did happen with respect to sex abuse allegations and the catholic church here. Anyway, just curious.

April15
09-11-2007, 08:35 PM
Not to my memory.

JohnDoe
09-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Has your government ever named any church as a public institution, subject to government oversight (intervention to control social problems etc). Possibly in the cases of the Catholic priests and molestation cover ups?

I may not be wording that right, but I can say that within our constitution there is no written separation between church and state (although it is inferred) and the above did happen with respect to sex abuse allegations and the catholic church here. Anyway, just curious.

My old state Massachusetts had a State Church until some time in the 1800's, I am uncertain how involved this State Church was was actual governance though? Does that count?

Said1
09-11-2007, 08:57 PM
My old state Massachusetts had a State Church until some time in the 1800's, I am uncertain how involved this State Church was was actual governance though? Does that count?

Not exactly. Thanks for trying though! :)

Mr. P
09-11-2007, 09:01 PM
Not that I know of.

Said1
09-11-2007, 09:03 PM
Not that I know of.

I didn't think so, but if not, I was curious about the circumstances. Apparently, back in May, a judge made that ruling for the first time ever.

Mr. P
09-11-2007, 09:07 PM
I didn't think so, but if not, I was curious about the circumstances. Apparently, back in May, a judge made that ruling for the first time ever.

Not really sure what you're asking, but a Judge is NOT the government. What ruling? Here?

Said1
09-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Not really sure what you're asking, but a Judge is NOT the government. What ruling? Here?

Mr. P, I'm fully aware that the judge is not the government.

As I said, the wording is probably off (and it is) as I'm tired . And again, as I said initially, the ruling was here, in Canada (back in May/07). I was asking if this happened in the USA, specifically pertaining to the Catholic Church and the sex abuse allegations.

Oh, and again, a Canadian judge ruled that the Catholic Church is a "public institution" subject to government oversight(susceptible to intervention with respect to church governance and societal issues directly related to the church ie sexual abuse allegations etc).

e

5stringJeff
09-11-2007, 09:27 PM
No. The First Amendment absolutely forbids it.