PDA

View Full Version : Amazon sued for price gouging

jimnyc
04-22-2020, 02:52 PM
I too noticed this with some products from the get go. It wasn't with everything. And they did this as they deleted the ads of millions of others, but many others made it through and still do. But seems the innocent of raising prices is few and far between. :(

Then the 2nd article talks of what they are profiting during this time. With their delivery service, they are making a killing right now!! No damn need to raise any prices. $10,000 for EVERY SECOND!!??

--

Amazon sued for ‘price gouging as cost of essential items soared by up to 1,000%’ during coronavirus pandemic

AMAZON is facing a lawsuit in California over its alleged price gouging of health products during the coronavirus.

In documents filed in the US District Court for the Northern District of California, Amazon.com Inc is accused of "unlawful price increases during the COVID-19 pandemic".

California’s Unfair Competition Law prohibits raising the price of some consumer goods and services by more than 10 per cent after an emergency has been declared.

Goods include food and drink, cleaning products, personal hygiene products - such as toilet paper - medical supplies, and emergency supplies, such as water, candles and batteries.

Face masks
Amazon is accused of selling face masks at a 500 per cent price hike, increasing from less than $20 to $120;

Pain reliever
Amazon is accused of hiking prices of pain reliever from $18.75 to $62.40, an increase of 233 per cent.

Flour
Flour allegedly increased up to 400 per cent, from $22 to $110, according to the suit.

Black beans
The price rose from $4.65 up to $35.99, an increase of up to 674 per cent, the suit alleges.

Disinfectants
Amazon is accused of hiking prices by 100 per cent, from $14.99 to $29.99.

Rest - https://www.the-sun.com/news/721253/amazon-sued-price-gouging-essential-items-coronavirus/

$10,000 a second? Amazon’s results could be amazing

Amazon will tell the world soon just how much money it has made from the “unprecedented demand shift” to its site from millions of people under lockdown conditions around the world.

The retailer, which is run by the world’s richest man, Jeff Bezos, will release its sales and profit figures for the first three months of the year (including the first few weeks of the lockdown in the UK and much of Europe and the US) on 30 April.

Analysts forecast Amazon to report first-quarter revenues of $73bn (£58bn). That would be up nearly 22% on the same quarter last year, and works out as sales of $10,000 every second, day and night.

Sales at Amazon had already been increasing, but analysts at Bank of America say the lockdown has fuelled an “unprecedented demand shift” to online sellers.

While most businesses have been hit hard by the impact of the pandemic and the looming recession, shares in Amazon have risen to a record high as hundreds of millions of people stuck indoors turn to the delivery giant to keep them fed and entertained.

Josh Brown, chief executive of Ritholtz Wealth Management, said: “Amazon became a utility in this crisis – defensive, reliable, indispensable.”

Analysts at the US investment bank Cowen likened the impact of the lockdown to the Black Friday shopping frenzy in November, or Amazon’s own Prime Day sale in July. “Amazon has seen an ‘enormous increase in demand’ as shoppers are forced to stay home, essentially creating an extended Prime Day/Black Friday type of situation,” they wrote.

Amazon’s share price is up 42% in the past month, hitting a record high above $2,400 last week. One month ago they were changing hands at $1,689.

At these prices the business is valued at $1.2tn, making it the third biggest US company after Microsoft ($1.35tn) and Apple ($1.25tn).

Rest - https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/apr/18/amazon-quarterly-results-10000-dollars-a-second

Gunny
04-22-2020, 07:36 PM
Good. I just pointed that out to my daughter the other day. They're out to make a killing.

Not to get the conspiracy train rolling, but has anyone ever looked at who AMAZON primarily sells for? All those cutesy-pie, off-the-wall name sellers that offer you the brand name at price, then offer you theirs?

Every single one I have bought like that is Chinese. Check it out.

High_Plains_Drifter
04-23-2020, 09:19 AM
Good. I just pointed that out to my daughter the other day. They're out to make a killing.

Not to get the conspiracy train rolling, but has anyone ever looked at who AMAZON primarily sells for? All those cutesy-pie, off-the-wall name sellers that offer you the brand name at price, then offer you theirs?

Every single one I have bought like that is Chinese. Check it out.
True, and I've often thought it's getting worse, just like Walmart. The name brands are slowly disappearing and the generic crap is replacing it.

Well I'm staying out of Walmart as much as possible. Actually haven't been to the store in over 2 months. If Amazon gets to the point where it becomes more and more difficult to find the good, name brand things I seek on there, then I'll quit shopping on there too. There's other websites. I've actually used Wayfair a few times now for household things. They had all the top name brands and they have great prices, nice website too, up and coming I'd say.

I still use ebay too. There's been times when I actually couldn't find exactly what I wanted on Amazon but lo and behold, someone on ebay had it.

Hot Dogger
04-24-2020, 08:00 AM
I swipe gloves and masks from the VA hospital whenever I'm there, so I've about 50 pairs of gloves and a couple dozen masks, so I should be good until The Arm'n'gettum. No, it's not stealing, I'm a service disabled veteran and I'm merely getting my slice of the American pie.

:saluting2:

High_Plains_Drifter
04-24-2020, 10:57 AM
I swipe gloves and masks from the VA hospital whenever I'm there, so I've about 50 pairs of gloves and a couple dozen masks, so I should be good until The Arm'n'gettum. No, it's not stealing, I'm a service disabled veteran and I'm merely getting my slice of the American pie.

You must live in Middleton or thereabouts.

I come from the west towards Madison. I turn off on a little short cut in Cross Plains and head over to Pine Bluff to hit Mineral Point Rd. There's a neat little bar at the intersection there that I usually stop at on my way home for a bite to eat and a beer.

icansayit
04-24-2020, 01:57 PM

Over the years in the Navy. I had to get a polygraph (Lie detector test) every 5 years. And several times I got caught lying about STEALING....(they told me I stole navy pens) as an example of how delicate the Polygraph can be. YES I took navy pens home with me, and collected many. NONETHELESS....Taking your slice of the American Pie...if you think about it. IS STEALING.

Something to think about?????

Hot Dogger
04-24-2020, 02:24 PM
You must live in Middleton or thereabouts.

I come from the west towards Madison. I turn off on a little short cut in Cross Plains and head over to Pine Bluff to hit Mineral Point Rd. There's a neat little bar at the intersection there that I usually stop at on my way home for a bite to eat and a beer.

I'm south of Shullsburg in the People's Democratic Republic of Illinoise. :cool:

Hot Dogger
04-24-2020, 02:27 PM
Over the years in the Navy. I had to get a polygraph (Lie detector test) every 5 years. And several times I got caught lying about STEALING....(they told me I stole navy pens) as an example of how delicate the Polygraph can be. YES I took navy pens home with me, and collected many. NONETHELESS....Taking your slice of the American Pie...if you think about it. IS STEALING.

I try to avoid that. No, not stealing. Thinking.

- Ivan Sarcasmov ;)

High_Plains_Drifter
04-24-2020, 03:11 PM

They started stopping every 10th vehicle or something like that leaving MacDill AFB, in an attempt to stop theft from the AF. I never took anything, but unfortunately I was a 10th vehicle stopped one day and no they didn't find any AF contraband, but they did hone in on my good pair of Nun Chucks. The snatched them and threw me in CC on base. I could NOT believe it. I had bought those LEGALLY at a flee market in Tampa, and had NO IDEA they were against base rules on MacDill. Well the first shirt came and got me out of CC, who was actually a motorcycle of mine anyway, but sure as hell KEPT my Nun Chucks. I tried and tried to get them back but never did. I didn't even get reimbursed for them either... assholes.

Abbey Marie
04-24-2020, 03:14 PM

Sorry, but, exactly how is that not stealing? And if those gloves are for the docs and nurses, doubly bad.

High_Plains_Drifter
04-24-2020, 03:14 PM
I'm south of Shullsburg in the People's Democratic Republic of Illinoise. :cool:
Aaaahh... flatlander... in the land of corn.

You probably know where Rantoul is. That's where I took my tech school, 11/1979 to 1/1980, Chanute AFB, Rantoul, ILL. All gone now, or at least most of it. The AF gave the base to Rantoul and they've either torn shit down or let it rot. Just a damn shame.

Abbey Marie
04-24-2020, 03:16 PM
We have an ongoing debate here about Amazon. I think they are a lifesaver for those of us who have trouble shopping. Russ thinks they are The Borg.

:coffee:

Kathianne
04-24-2020, 03:17 PM
We have an ongoing debate here about Amazon. I think they are a lifesaver for those of us who have trouble shopping. Russ thinks they are The Borg.

:laugh:

High_Plains_Drifter
04-24-2020, 03:35 PM

It's surely been a boon for me living out here in the middle of nowhere WI.

But I have noticed that lately some things I've looked for on there, there's only been a limited number of options. Name brands are disappearing and generic crap is appearing, along with Amazon's own brand.

Well, that's the crap that walmart has pulled in the last decade, replacing ever more name brands with their chinese garbage, "Mainstays," or "Best Value," and I hate it. I refuse to buy it, and it has forced me to look else where, and I'll do the same thing if Amazon gets to the point where it's just a hassle to find a decent name brand on there.

I'm boycotting china myself. I will do everything in my power to avoid buying something made in china.