PDA

View Full Version : Unconscionable

Kathianne
04-24-2020, 04:56 PM
Who cares about those in nursing homes or working in them? Not Cuomo:

https://nypost.com/2020/04/22/coronavirus-in-ny-cuomo-says-nursing-homes-must-supply-own-ppe/?utm_source=facebook_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site+buttons&utm_campaign=site+buttons&fbclid=IwAR1pRRSy2fhftrK2N4sNw321AY2uZwjN7XvzmSwvO YTZksxJBoZ6dUmy96M

Gov. Cuomo says ‘it’s not our job’ to provide PPE to nursing homes
By Bernadette Hogan, Carl Campanile and Bruce GoldingApril 22, 2020 |

Gov. Andrew Cuomo insisted that “it’s not our job” to provide coronavirus-ravaged nursing homes with personal protective equipment — even as more than 3,000 patients have lost their lives in facilities ordered by his administration to take in COVID-19 patients.

“We have been helping them with more PPE but, again, it’s not our job,” Cuomo said Wednesday during his daily briefing in Albany.

Pressed on why coronavirus patients were not kept out of the facilities, which treat the elderly and other vulnerable populations, Cuomo insisted that the state regulated, but did not “run,” New York’s privately owned nursing homes.

“You’ll be out of business if you’re not providing your staff with the right equipment. You’re out of business. That we can do,” he said of state regulations.

Gunny
04-24-2020, 05:03 PM
Waiting for the outrage from the left :rolleyes:

Abbey Marie
04-24-2020, 05:03 PM
This IS unconscionable. Shame on him.

This is what I mean when I say I think people are being selfish and don’t really care about those with risk factors. The elderly, in spades.

Kathianne
04-24-2020, 05:05 PM
Waiting for the outrage from the left :rolleyes:
It's so wrong. The nursing homes were forced to take virus positive patients. Most do not have the necessary equipment, doctors, nurses. They are not equipped to keep this type of quarantine, much like the cruise ships weren't. It's like, "Let's kill the old!"

Kathianne
04-24-2020, 06:29 PM
20% of all US Covid deaths were in nursing homes.

Several investigations on why, though known is that many were forced to take patients that were known positive and were not equipped to deal with such a contagious disease. They didn't have the equipment, nor the training.

It's almost like the government just doesn't care about the old/sick.

SassyLady
04-24-2020, 06:37 PM

https://nypost.com/2020/04/22/coronavirus-in-ny-cuomo-says-nursing-homes-must-supply-own-ppe/?utm_source=facebook_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site+buttons&utm_campaign=site+buttons&fbclid=IwAR1pRRSy2fhftrK2N4sNw321AY2uZwjN7XvzmSwvO YTZksxJBoZ6dUmy96M

Says the man screaming at Trump for more equipment. The hypocrisy of the guy is beyond imaginable.

Kathianne
04-24-2020, 06:41 PM
Says the man screaming at Trump for more equipment. The hypocrisy of the guy is beyond imaginable.
There were many things he said that I thought were spot on, especially when the crisis in his city was at the worst points. Then he would reprimand deBlasio, while not being too nasty. Mostly he gave Trump credit where due.

This though? Unforgivable. Nursing homes are where those who are ill, but not so ill as to need a hospital. Mainly they are for rehab or for when family will not let them live with them and they can't live alone.

They are not for ICU or contagious diseases.

Kathianne
04-24-2020, 06:52 PM
I wonder how many people have had a loved one that had to be placed in a nursing home? How would they feel if it were a time like now?

We were fortunate in being able to keep my mom home as long as we did, 3 years with 24/6 nursing. Very expensive and would have done it through the end, IF the nurse didn't have to return to the Ukraine and there was any possibility we could get my mom to accept someone new. That wasn't going to happen, she went through so many before we found Natalia. Mom was so wonderful, but she was not easy to get along with new people, especially when she was so frail.

The nursing home she was in was wonderful, for a nursing home. My dad visited her everyday, as did at least 2 other family members. It wasn't far from our homes and had a positive vibe. Every Sunday everyone, including any of the kids not away at school went to Church at the home. Afterwards they had a tea shop, cute red and white wicker with umbrellas. Opened to outside where there were swings for wheelchairs. They even served wine and beer in teeny tiny cups. LOL! Those Sundays were family time, not only for my mom, but also for the kids/cousins growing closer.

We got to know many of the people on my mom's floor, I just think of how devastated we all would have been during a time like this.

Gunny
04-24-2020, 06:56 PM
It's so wrong. The nursing homes were forced to take virus positive patients. Most do not have the necessary equipment, doctors, nurses. They are not equipped to keep this type of quarantine, much like the cruise ships weren't. It's like, "Let's kill the old!"I am well aware of what those places are like. That is where I was put for PT after the hospital discharged me. I may have had other factors involved in losing 50 pounds but I sure as Hell didn't gain an ounce of back on THEIR food. Their PT was joke. i had to leave the place just to get back into any semblance of shape.

Another story, but they should not use those places for phys rehab for people who are leaving. Those are one-way stops between home and the funeral parlor. The "ambiance" in those places is overbearing.

I agree with your point though. Take away any defense the elderly have, then force something they can't defend against on them. That's about as messed up as it gets and sheds the veneer off any pretense of protecting the weak; one of the principles this Nation was founded on and is quick to proclaim. Actions speak louder than words.

SassyLady
04-24-2020, 07:07 PM
I wonder how many people have had a loved one that had to be placed in a nursing home? How would they feel if it were a time like now?

We were fortunate in being able to keep my mom home as long as we did, 3 years with 24/6 nursing. Very expensive and would have done it through the end, IF the nurse didn't have to return to the Ukraine and there was any possibility we could get my mom to accept someone new. That wasn't going to happen, she went through so many before we found Natalia. Mom was so wonderful, but she was not easy to get along with new people, especially when she was so frail.

The nursing home she was in was wonderful, for a nursing home. My dad visited her everyday, as did at least 2 other family members. It wasn't far from our homes and had a positive vibe. Every Sunday everyone, including any of the kids not away at school went to Church at the home. Afterwards they had a tea shop, cute red and white wicker with umbrellas. Opened to outside where there were swings for wheelchairs. They even served wine and beer in teeny tiny cups. LOL! Those Sundays were family time, not only for my mom, but also for the kids/cousins growing closer.

We got to know many of the people on my mom's floor, I just think of how devastated we all would have been during a time like this.

My best friend's mother-in-law, 93, was just put into hospice and they're not allowed to visit. It's heartbreaking.

SassyLady
04-24-2020, 07:09 PM
I am well aware of what those places are like. That is where I was put for PT after the hospital discharged me. I may have had other factors involved in losing 50 pounds but I sure as Hell didn't gain an ounce of back on THEIR food. Their PT was joke. i had to leave the place just to get back into any semblance of shape.

Another story, but they should not use those places for phys rehab for people who are leaving. Those are one-way stops between home and the funeral parlor. The "ambiance" in those places is overbearing.

I agree with your point though. Take away any defense the elderly have, then force something they can't defend against on them. That's about as messed up as it gets and sheds the veneer off any pretense of protecting the weak; one of the principles this Nation was founded on and is quick to proclaim. Actions speak louder than words.

A condition to reopen the states was to protect the vulnerable. I hope someone calls this jackass on his decision.

Kathianne
04-24-2020, 07:20 PM
A condition to reopen the states was to protect the vulnerable. I hope someone calls this jackass on his decision.

Makes it easier for the hospitals to get a 'survive' if they are treating the younger. Pretty much a given that old people were going to die.

Gunny
04-24-2020, 07:43 PM
A condition to reopen the states was to protect the vulnerable. I hope someone calls this jackass on his decision.It is doubtful. Except for those there for actual, medical necessity, the rest are there because nobody cares. The fact is, it benefits the government for them to die. The government pays more for them to live than they collect in taxes and past services (like a lifetime) don't count.

Kathianne's right. They're there to die anyway so no surprise and no loss.

High_Plains_Drifter
04-24-2020, 08:31 PM
Unreal... the guy is a true POS.

The very people aside from the brave health care workers on the front lines that SHOULD be protected, the ones that took care of us ALL when we were younger through sickness and health, and this dip shit just thinks it's not his job to protect them.

Good God... that ought to tick off everybody... right, left and in between.

Kathianne
04-24-2020, 09:01 PM
It is doubtful. Except for those there for actual, medical necessity, the rest are there because nobody cares. The fact is, it benefits the government for them to die. The government pays more for them to live than they collect in taxes and past services (like a lifetime) don't count.

Kathianne's right. They're there to die anyway so no surprise and no loss.

Yep, my mom had been day patient at a rehab place, go there for therapy and then we'd pick her up. I didn't like that place.

While we'd rather have had mom home that last year, couldn't happen in her fragile state and her inability to accept a new nurse. Everyone would have been miserable and I had my 2 kids in high school + dad + full-time teaching. Just impossible.

As I said, for all the sadness in not having her home, it was likely the best thing at that point. We were able to bring her home for holidays and graduations and friend's wedding. She was cared for in ways we couldn't, like she didn't sleep at night much and would have tried to leave-which she'd done at home to. In the home the nurse would let her sit at the desk with newspaper, reading and cutting out articles to share with my dad the next day. The nurse said she kinda drove her nuts when she'd get upset about politics-ummm, apple and tree.

I actually had done my sociology exit paper on nursing homes in Chicago, this wasn't that! Horrid. As I said, we were lucky.

High_Plains_Drifter
04-24-2020, 09:10 PM
Yep, my mom had been day patient at a rehab place, go there for therapy and then we'd pick her up. I didn't like that place.

While we'd rather have had mom home that last year, couldn't happen in her fragile state and her inability to accept a new nurse. Everyone would have been miserable and I had my 2 kids in high school + dad + full-time teaching. Just impossible.

As I said, for all the sadness in not having her home, it was likely the best thing at that point. We were able to bring her home for holidays and graduations and friend's wedding. She was cared for in ways we couldn't, like she didn't sleep at night much and would have tried to leave-which she'd done at home to. In the home the nurse would let her sit at the desk with newspaper, reading and cutting out articles to share with my dad the next day. The nurse said she kinda drove her nuts when she'd get upset about politics-ummm, apple and tree.

I actually had done my sociology exit paper on nursing homes in Chicago, this wasn't that! Horrid. As I said, we were lucky.
It is tough caring for an elderly parent. We all know what happened to my poor mother in the assisted living place my sister put her in, but she didn't know.

We have a live in care giver for her now in her apartment. It isn't cheap but she's in her own home. 91 years old but still doing OK, and she went through an adjustment period too with the live in, but I think she's OK with it now. My sister lives in the same building and is down there checking on her a couple times a day. Don't know how long we can go on with that arrangement but for now, it's working.

So to think of what Deblahblah said just irritates the heck otta me. If you don't have it in you take care of the people that took care of you when you were young, you're truly are a low life rotten POS. When it comes to sheltering in place and masks and gloves and all that, I think we HAVE to do that when it comes to the elderly, and if an elderly has no family to look in on them, then we need to step up and be the one to do it. They ALL deserve to be cared for, loved and protected. That will be US someday, and I'm pretty sure we'll appreciate to be cared for when we can no longer take care of ourselves, if we ever find ourselves in that situation.

Kathianne
04-24-2020, 09:19 PM
It is tough caring for an elderly parent. We all know what happened to my poor mother in the assisted living place my sister put her in, but she didn't know.

We have a live in care giver for her now in her apartment. It isn't cheap but she's in her own home. 91 years old but still doing OK, and she went through an adjustment period too with the live in, but I think she's OK with it now. My sister lives in the same building and is down there checking on her a couple times a day. Don't know how long we can go on with that arrangement but for now, it's working.

So to think of what Deblahblah said just irritates the heck otta me. If you don't have it in you take care of the people that took care of you when you were young, you're truly are a low life rotten POS. When it comes to sheltering in place and masks and gloves and all that, I think we HAVE to do that when it comes to the elderly, and if an elderly has no family to look in on them, then we need to step up and be the one to do it. They ALL deserve to be cared for, loved and protected. That will be US someday, and I'm pretty sure we'll appreciate to be cared for when we can no longer take care of ourselves, if we ever find ourselves in that situation.

Truth is that today, good homes have long waiting lists, (thus it IS who you know if you need something fast), the cost between good and bad isn't all that different. Keeping mom home was super expensive, things that were not covered by medicare at home, were covered when she was in the nursing home. We would not have gotten her in there if my dad wasn't good friends with the person that donated the land for the home-she was bumped to next opening when he asked. Otherwise, it all depends on 'openings' which only happens one way usually.

It wasn't the money that forced the choice, it was my mom's brittle bones, her inability to make good judgements-especially at night. She had two hip breaks and surgeries, she was wheelchair bound. At night she'd try to get up if she'd been asleep, not safe. So, once up and awake, she was semi ok, she really could read the newspapers, though painstakingly slow-she wouldn't wear her glasses. It was really weird, she knew who we all were, could talk about current events, but would mix up weird things during a conversation. She'd been sick for over a decade, the last 4 really bad, obviously.

High_Plains_Drifter
04-24-2020, 09:31 PM
Truth is that today, good homes have long waiting lists, (thus it IS who you know if you need something fast), the cost between good and bad isn't all that different. Keeping mom home was super expensive, things that were not covered by medicare at home, were covered when she was in the nursing home. We would not have gotten her in there if my dad wasn't good friends with the person that donated the land for the home-she was bumped to next opening when he asked. Otherwise, it all depends on 'openings' which only happens one way usually.
That is SO TRUE, and we have been experiencing the same dilemma.

It wasn't the money that forced the choice, it was my mom's brittle bones, her inability to make good judgements-especially at night. She had two hip breaks and surgeries, she was wheelchair bound. At night she'd try to get up if she'd been asleep, not safe. So, once up and awake, she was semi ok, she really could read the newspapers, though painstakingly slow-she wouldn't wear her glasses. It was really weird, she knew who we all were, could talk about current events, but would mix up weird things during a conversation. She'd been sick for over a decade, the last 4 really bad, obviously.
That is so sad, and you have my sympathies. My Dad passed away with light speed. He went from just having a little stomach discomfort to gone in 3 weeks. It was horrendous.

But my Ma is having similar problems. Although she appears completely alert, and sometimes you can have a real good conversation with her, her short term memory is bad. She'll repeat something she said not 30 seconds later. It happens to many when they get old. I just answer her again as though it's the first time she's said it. It doesn't do any good to say to them that they just said that. Patience is a virtue.

Kathianne
04-24-2020, 09:55 PM
That is SO TRUE, and we have been experiencing the same dilemma.

That is so sad, and you have my sympathies. My Dad passed away with light speed. He went from just having a little stomach discomfort to gone in 3 weeks. It was horrendous.

But my Ma is having similar problems. Although she appears completely alert, and sometimes you can have a real good conversation with her, her short term memory is bad. She'll repeat something she said not 30 seconds later. It happens to many when they get old. I just answer her again as though it's the first time she's said it. It doesn't do any good to say to them that they just said that. Patience is a virtue.

I can't rep this, but I owe you some. This is nice behavior. Thank you

Gunny
04-24-2020, 10:05 PM

I actually had done my sociology exit paper on nursing homes in Chicago, this wasn't that! Horrid. As I said, we were lucky.I agree in that it is often the wisest course of action and best for the person. At the same time, I'd just as soon be dead as locked in a cage until I stop breathing. Just existing until I don't.

High_Plains_Drifter
04-24-2020, 11:24 PM
I agree in that it is often the wisest course of action and best for the person. At the same time, I'd just as soon be dead as locked in a cage until I stop breathing. Just existing until I don't.
I couldn't agree more. I sure the hell don't want to get to where I can't even wipe my own ass. I'd much rather just die.

Kathianne
04-24-2020, 11:34 PM
I agree in that it is often the wisest course of action and best for the person. At the same time, I'd just as soon be dead as locked in a cage until I stop breathing. Just existing until I don't.

Yeah, the problem is we do keep breathing. I'm not going to say there weren't times I just was going nuts. Too many people in too small a place. My living room was converted to hospital room, there was no way we were having her anywhere near stairs! My brother came 2X a week to carry her upstairs to bathe.

One of the strange things that happened, she lost her inhibitions regarding modesty. My son's X-Country team came for Spaghetti Dinner the night before meet. It was warm. My Irish-Catholic, obsessively modest mom took off her shirt. No blinking. The boys were like, well ok then. LOL! My son was super nonchalant, Grandma is like a really annoying sister I don't have. They all laughed and went downstairs. Mom was like, "Derek's friends are nice." Ok.

Truly the experience helped my kids become more compassionate. My dad, my brother, and I know we did all we could to keep her comfortable and feeling part of what was going on as much as possible. Only real crisis outside of her health was when my sister with Down's died. My dad decided she just could not handle that, so it was hidden. He always said that when he died, my mom would be waiting, "How could you?" He was pretty scared of that. LOL!

Some of the day-to-day wasn't the same in the home. Since we visited, it was more like, "How are you?" Instead of her observing everything going on with the kids and stuff. But, the dangers inherent with the home itself without trained help? Too much for my elderly father, my full-time work, high school kids. She needed constant care.

High_Plains_Drifter
04-25-2020, 12:14 AM
Yeah, the problem is we do keep breathing. I'm not going to say there weren't times I just was going nuts. Too many people in too small a place. My living room was converted to hospital room, there was no way we were having her anywhere near stairs! My brother came 2X a week to carry her upstairs to bathe.

One of the strange things that happened, she lost her inhibitions regarding modesty. My son's X-Country team came for Spaghetti Dinner the night before meet. It was warm. My Irish-Catholic, obsessively modest mom took off her shirt. No blinking. The boys were like, well ok then. LOL! My son was super nonchalant, Grandma is like a really annoying sister I don't have. They all laughed and went downstairs. Mom was like, "Derek's friends are nice." Ok.

Truly the experience helped my kids become more compassionate. My dad, my brother, and I know we did all we could to keep her comfortable and feeling part of what was going on as much as possible. Only real crisis outside of her health was when my sister with Down's died. My dad decided she just could not handle that, so it was hidden. He always said that when he died, my mom would be waiting, "How could you?" He was pretty scared of that. LOL!

Some of the day-to-day wasn't the same in the home. Since we visited, it was more like, "How are you?" Instead of her observing everything going on with the kids and stuff. But, the dangers inherent with the home itself without trained help? Too much for my elderly father, my full-time work, high school kids. She needed constant care.
This just all hits so close to home for me. We're going through much of the same with my Ma. They didn't ask to get old and not be able to take care of themselves, it just happens, and it's the kids job to take care of them as best we can.

I only have one kid, and we don't get along at all. For the most part we don't talk, and if I should outlive my younger sister, I WILL be all alone when I die. There will be NO ONE around to take care of me. If I get to the point where I can't take care of myself, I guess it's off to the old veterans home to die. So I hope I just kick off quick, at home. Have a massive heart attack or something, stroke, whatever... just die and not have to worry about being abused or treated like an old worthless piece of garbage by some care taker because they know no one will ever check on me.

I have the same thoughts about my poor little sis. She's a healthy one and if she's the last of the family to pass away, she'll be in the same predicament. Bother's the crap otta me to think about it, because I don't want her to suffer maltreatment if she gets to where she can't take care of herself anymore either, and she has no kids. Maaaan... I gotta stop thinking about this... so depressing... :(

reason10
04-25-2020, 08:51 AM

I'm going to sound like a broken record here, because I've been saying this all over the place.

Is Cuomo an IDIOT? Does he think the video of him saying that will just disappear and not be used against him in his reelection campaign? For that matter, doesn't he realize he has just attacked OLD PEOPLE who represent the largest voting bloc in America? Forget the presidency. This idiot is going to have to fight tooth and nail for his reelection.