PDA

View Full Version : It's A Start: American Opinions On China and CCP

Kathianne
04-24-2020, 05:32 PM
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2020/04/23/us_views_of_china_plunge_during_corona_crisis.html

U.S. Views of China Plunge During Corona Crisis
COMMENTARY
.By Michael Auslin

A new poll by the Pew Research Center provides the clearest snapshot yet of the collapse in American views of China thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic. Taken March 3-29, the big takeaway from the survey of 1,000 adults is that 66% now have a negative view of China, compared with 26% favorable. That is a 20% jump in unfavorable ratings since 2017 and a 6% rise since last year. These are the worst numbers ever recorded for China, despite Beijing's global public relations campaign to portray its coronavirus response in a positive light.

The damage to China's image is deep and widespread. Nearly 90% of Americans polled believe that China’s power and influence are a threat, with fully 62% saying it is a “major” threat. As for the most visible Chinese leader, 71% of respondents have “no confidence” in Chinese Communist Party General Secretary Xi Jinping. Interestingly, those with a college degree and above were slightly more negative about China than those without a college degree, but at 68% percent to 64%, both were healthy majorities. Even the youngest demographic, aged 18-29, held a 53% unfavorable view, compared to 71% of those aged 50 and above.

Conversely, 91% believe it is better for the world if America is the world’s leading power, compared to just 4% who prefer China. Similarly, 83% believe the U.S. is the world’s leading military power, versus 6% who think it is China.

As for economics, 59% say the U.S. is the world’s leading economic power, versus 30% arguing for China. Over the past three years of the Trump administration, the number of Americans worried about the trade deficit has held largely steady at 49%, and a similar 52% have worried about job loss to China during the same years.

There is more to dive into from the poll, but the conclusion seems clear: the CCP's pervasive global coronavirus propaganda campaign appears to have failed, at least among ordinary Americans. March, the month the poll was conducted, was probably the high point of Beijing’s attempts to convince the world that it had acted swiftly, openly, and responsibly to eradicate the coronavirus and warn the world. In the month since, it has become widely accepted that the CCP covered up the nature and extent of the epidemic, silenced whistleblowers, and misled the international community.

Furthermore, Beijing’s attempts to win praise for "donating" medical supplies have faltered due to the millions of pieces of defective and substandard equipment it sold and shipped around the world. Now, from Missouri to India, local and national polities are considering how to sue China and are demanding reparations.

Gunny
04-24-2020, 07:55 PM
I find this interesting. If at any point in my life you asked me who the two biggest threats to the US (besides ourselves) are/were, I would say Russia and China in no specific order. Always have been in my lifetime. Cold War or no, faux "end of Cold War" or no, kissass Dems or no, both are enemies of just not us but the rest of the World for the same reason: both for some reason want to rule the World and subjugate us all to being under their thumbs.

It's younger people that think the Cold War ended when someone declared it over like Obama declared Iraq over and have not considered communism a threat like those of us that grew up during it and served during it. They are two biggest military threats we face and changing their names/labels has done nothing to change my mind.