PDA

View Full Version : China Keeps Using The Crisis

Kathianne
04-25-2020, 12:42 AM
They've been at Hong Kong for over a year, but now the 'crisis' is making total control easier:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/one-country-one-system-the-week-that-china-shredded-its-promise-on-hong-kong/2020/04/24/247fb3e6-7001-11ea-a156-0048b62cdb51_story.html?fbclid=IwAR1lFUIctKF8JAY7x zkZe-H5pmt42q0fkFl1Yxd7aDma5Tw7t5TZTUKp1eg

Asia & Pacific
One country, one system: The week that China shredded its promise on Hong Kong
By
Shibani Mahtani and
Timothy McLaughlin
April 24, 2020 at 2:00 a.m. MST

HONG KONG — Martin Lee has tangled with the Chinese Communist Party countless times in his decades-long fight to achieve free elections in Hong Kong and enlist Western support for the city's democratic ambitions.

Last weekend, the police came knocking. Seven officers appeared at Lee’s home and arrested the 81-year-old for participating in an unauthorized protest last year that 1.7 million people attended. More than a dozen other democracy activists were detained the same day.

The arrests buttressed a week of coordinated actions by Beijing that experts say have redefined the status of Hong Kong. The effect was to demolish the “one country, two systems” framework that prohibits Beijing’s involvement in local affairs and is supposed to afford the financial center a high level of autonomy.

“The very important story is not my arrest,” Lee, who helped draft Hong Kong’s mini-constitution, the Basic Law, said in an interview after being released on bail. “What really concerns me is that the basic promise of Hong Kong has been completely changed.”

High_Plains_Drifter
04-25-2020, 01:44 AM
Aaaaaaaand china is our friend? Our "most favored trading partner?" Not a nation we have to be worried about? A nation we should be helping?

I think not.

Like Gunny says, they've been plotting to overthrow the United States by using our own trust, freedoms and ignorance against us since day one.

They are our enemy, point blank, and we better wake up and smell the coffee like yesterday, and start divesting our nation from them immediately.

I sure hope the WORLD is getting a belly full of the lies and human travesty that china perpetrates. They are the worst communist dictatorship on the planet, with only NoKo being worse, but then they are virtually one and same.

Kathianne
04-25-2020, 02:11 AM
Aaaaaaaand china is our friend? Our "most favored trading partner?" Not a nation we have to be worried about? A nation we should be helping?

I think not.

Like Gunny says, they've been plotting to overthrow the United States by using our own trust, freedoms and ignorance against us since day one.

They are our enemy, point blank, and we better wake up and smell the coffee like yesterday, and start divesting our nation from them immediately.

I sure hope the WORLD is getting a belly full of the lies and human travesty that china perpetrates. They are the worst communist dictatorship on the planet, with only NoKo being worse, but then they are virtually one and same.

Speaking of North Korea, a bit of rumors:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy/article/3081531/china-sends-team-including-medical-experts-advise-north-koreas

China sends team including medical experts to advise on North Korea’s Kim Jong-un, sources say
Delegation led by a senior member of the Chinese Communist Party’s International Liaison Department left Beijing on Thursday amid reports of leader’s poor health
News of visit comes after Donald Trump, South Korean government play down suggestions Kim is seriously ill
Reuters
Published: 11:36am, 25 Apr, 2020

China has sent a team including medical experts to North Korea to advise on the hermit state’s leader Kim Jong-un, according to three people familiar with the situation.

The trip comes amid conflicting reports about Kim’s health, but Reuters was unable to immediately determine what it signalled.

A delegation led by a senior member of the Chinese Communist Party’s International Liaison Department left Beijing on Thursday, two of the people said. The department is the main Chinese body dealing with North Korea.

The sources declined to be identified given the sensitivity of the matter.

The liaison department could not be reached for comment late on Friday. China’s foreign ministry did not immediately respond to a request for comment late on Friday.