PDA

View Full Version : Chinese scientists predict coronavirus won't be eradicated

jimnyc
04-28-2020, 11:33 AM
This is where I've been for a few weeks now. I think they will eventually come out with several things. But will it eradicate it, or be more like the flu where it doesn't work for everyone. I was thinking more like the flu. Some it will work for, and others will get sick like having the flu. The elderly and compromised will be at most risk, like the flu.

--

Chinese scientists predict coronavirus won't be eradicated

Chinese scientists said this week that they believe the novel coronavirus will not be eradicated, predicting that the disease could possibly return periodically like the flu.

A group of Chinese viral and medical researchers told reporters in Beijing on Monday that the virus will likely not disappear like SARS because it can infect asymptomatic carriers, Bloomberg News reported, so people can spread the virus without experiencing symptoms like a fever and cough.

The researchers said Chinese health officials are still confirming dozens of asymptomatic carriers every day, the news outlet reported.

“This is very likely to be an epidemic that co-exists with humans for a long time, becomes seasonal and is sustained within human bodies,” Jin Qi, director of the Institute of Pathogen Biology at the Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, said.

Health officials and leaders worldwide have projected that the virus is unlikely to be completely eliminated, despite lockdowns, stay-at-home orders and other measures being enforced around the world.

The Chinese experts said Monday that they have found no evidence that the virus’s spread will slow during the summer as temperatures continue to rise in the northern hemisphere, according to Bloomberg.

“The virus is heat sensitive, but that’s when it’s exposed to 56 degrees Celsius for 30 minutes and the weather is never going to get that hot,” Wang Guiqiang, head of the infectious diseases department of Peking University First Hospital, said. “So globally, even during the summer, the chance of cases going down significantly is small.”

Rest - https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/494975-chinese-scientists-predict-coronavirus-wont-be-eradicated

Drummond
04-28-2020, 11:54 AM
This is where I've been for a few weeks now. I think they will eventually come out with several things. But will it eradicate it, or be more like the flu where it doesn't work for everyone. I was thinking more like the flu. Some it will work for, and others will get sick like having the flu. The elderly and compromised will be at most risk, like the flu.

--

Chinese scientists predict coronavirus won't be eradicated

Chinese scientists said this week that they believe the novel coronavirus will not be eradicated, predicting that the disease could possibly return periodically like the flu.

A group of Chinese viral and medical researchers told reporters in Beijing on Monday that the virus will likely not disappear like SARS because it can infect asymptomatic carriers, Bloomberg News reported, so people can spread the virus without experiencing symptoms like a fever and cough.

The researchers said Chinese health officials are still confirming dozens of asymptomatic carriers every day, the news outlet reported.

“This is very likely to be an epidemic that co-exists with humans for a long time, becomes seasonal and is sustained within human bodies,” Jin Qi, director of the Institute of Pathogen Biology at the Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, said.

Health officials and leaders worldwide have projected that the virus is unlikely to be completely eliminated, despite lockdowns, stay-at-home orders and other measures being enforced around the world.

The Chinese experts said Monday that they have found no evidence that the virus’s spread will slow during the summer as temperatures continue to rise in the northern hemisphere, according to Bloomberg.

“The virus is heat sensitive, but that’s when it’s exposed to 56 degrees Celsius for 30 minutes and the weather is never going to get that hot,” Wang Guiqiang, head of the infectious diseases department of Peking University First Hospital, said. “So globally, even during the summer, the chance of cases going down significantly is small.”

Rest - https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/494975-chinese-scientists-predict-coronavirus-wont-be-eradicated

I really do wonder about this .. not so much about what those scientists are saying, but how certain they are of their thinking. Do they know what they're claiming, & therefore from how comprehensive a study ?

A question I'd have would be about mutation. Those scientists aren't talking about it. Do they know it isn't a factor ? Or, IS it enough of one, to ensure the impossibility of getting a vaccine ?

One other point - surely if Covid is going to be seasonal, then the point about the 56 degrees C is relative ? Maybe that temperature kills or neutralises it. Maybe more temperate temperatures still have a lesser but important effect ?

This, too, has another ramification. Consider this.

A country pushes for herd immunity. Mass infections .. immunities form, a critical density seems to have been reached, then peripheral infections fizzle out .. everyone thinks 'job done'.

Then winter hits. 'Out of the blue', infections rise.

So, who concludes what ? Is the conclusion reached that temperature is having its effect and is to blame ? Or, is it mistakenly thought that a second and separate wave of infection has arrived, and doing its worst ? How to tell ?

How sure will a herd immunity-chasing society be that it has achieved what it intended ? Will it believe, in error, that the model aimed for just hasn't worked ?

Kathianne
04-28-2020, 11:58 AM
I really do wonder about this .. not so much about what those scientists are saying, but how certain they are of their thinking. Do they know what they're claiming, & therefore from how comprehensive a study ?

A question I'd have would be about mutation. Those scientists aren't talking about it. Do they know it isn't a factor ? Or, IS it enough of one, to ensure the impossibility of getting a vaccine ?

One other point - surely if Covid is going to be seasonal, then the point about the 56 degrees C is relative ? Maybe that temperature kills or neutralises it. Maybe more temperate temperatures still have a lesser but important effect ?

This, too, has another ramification. Consider this.

A country pushes for herd immunity. Mass infections .. immunities form, a critical density seems to have been reached, then peripheral infections fizzle out .. everyone thinks 'job done'.

Then winter hits. 'Out of the blue', infections rise.

So, who concludes what ? Is the conclusion reached that temperature is having its effect and is to blame ? Or, is it mistakenly thought that a second and separate wave of infection has arrived, and doing its worst ? How to tell ?

How sure will a herd immunity-chasing society be that it has achieved what it intended ? Will it believe, in error, that the model aimed for just hasn't worked ?

It's almost like you're only paying attention to your own posts. I've repeatedly pointed out the fear that the antibodies may not be robust, that it's feared what immunity they provide may be limited at best. Which leads to the difficulties possible regarding the finding of viable vaccine.

While it doesn't speak well towards herd immunity, the same must be said about hunkering down.

Like shingles, it may be that we just have to deal with it.

Drummond
04-28-2020, 12:25 PM
It's almost like you're only paying attention to your own posts. I've repeatedly pointed out the fear that the antibodies may not be robust, that it's feared what immunity they provide may be limited at best. Which leads to the difficulties possible regarding the finding of viable vaccine.

Thanks for this.

Actually, it wouldn't matter one way or the other. The antibody problem (if it is one) has already been discussed in my media. I knew about it. It was a warning from the WHO, I believe.

While it doesn't speak well towards herd immunity,

Isn't that putting it mildly ? Seems to me that fully attaining herd immunity would be an unworkable ambition. It would mean that letting infections running amok through minimal precautions would've been allowed, for nothing.

the same must be said about hunkering down.

Effective hunkering down would be protective enough to be a lifesaver. A renewed effort to hunker down would be called for, and presumably be as effective.

Like shingles, it may be that we just have to deal with it.

... in the most effective way possible, of course. Lives may be at stake.

I've this to offer, a development evolving across the Pond. Not good news:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/urgent-alert-children-coronavirus-doctors-18156292

An alert has been issued over a 'coronavirus-related condition' emerging in children.

The warning has been issued to GPs following a rise in cases in the last two to three weeks.

While the number of affected children is reported to be low, the syndrome, which is yet to be named, can cause several unpleasant symptoms, including abdominal pain and cardiac inflammation.

According to the Health Service Journal, the alert sent to doctors says that in recent weeks 'there has been an apparent rise in the number of children of all ages presenting with a multisystem inflammatory state requiring intensive care across London and also in other regions of the UK'.

It adds: “There is a growing concern that a [covid-19] related inflammatory syndrome is emerging in children in the UK, or that there may be another, as yet unidentified, infectious pathogen associated with these cases.”

Kathianne
04-28-2020, 12:28 PM
Thanks for this.

Actually, it wouldn't matter one way or the other. The antibody problem (if it is one) has already been discussed in my media. I knew about it. It was a warning from the WHO, I believe.

Isn't that putting it mildly ? Seems to me that fully attaining herd immunity would be an unworkable ambition. It would mean that letting infections running amok through minimal precautions would've been allowed, for nothing.

Effective hunkering down would be protective enough to be a lifesaver. A renewed effort to hunker down would be called for, and presumably be as effective.

... in the most effective way possible, of course. Lives may be at stake.

I've this to offer, a development evolving across the Pond. Not good news:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/urgent-alert-children-coronavirus-doctors-18156292

Again it was weeks ago that I posted of both the problems with this virus regarding young people, attacking organs and issues with blood clots, leading to strokes. Especially a problem for vulnerable young people undergoing dialysis, chemo, radiation.

Hot Dogger
04-28-2020, 06:18 PM
Yes, because the coronavirus is also known as "the common cold". So now the liberals want a War Against the Common Cold.