PDA

View Full Version : Hannity demands apology from NYT - I agree on this one

jimnyc
04-28-2020, 12:49 PM
I never watched Hannity and still don't. Don't have involvement with him unless it's within a news article online or similar. Not that I take issue with him, I'm just not huge in television news myself. So I really couldn't care less too much about him.

But these dates are factual and beyond comically wrong. And yet they blame him somehow.

NY Times says no apology and not even a retraction. Protected opinion? Hmmmmmm.... if factually incorrect and they were notified of such? They simply don't care!

--

HANNITY SAYS ENOUGH: Sean Demands Retraction and Apology from New York Times After Blaming Him for Coronavirus Deaths

Something that has been long overdo, Sean Hannity has finally demanded a retraction and apology from the New York Times for their irresponsible and shameful misreporting…

“In the story you published on or about April 18, 2020, entitled “A Beloved Bar Owner Was Skeptical About the Virus. Then He Took A Cruise,” available at https://www.nytimes.com/ 2020/04/18/nyregion/coronavirus-jjbubbles-joe-joyce.html (the “April 18, 2020 Story”), you falsely state and falsely imply a connection between Mr. Hannity’s on-air comments and Mr. Joyce’s decision to take a cruise. But what you fail to mention is that Mr. Hannity’s comments could not possibly have influenced Mr. Joyce’s decision because he embarked on his cruise on March 1 (according to your report), while Mr. Hannity made comments on March 9, which you claim influenced his decision. Moreover, you were fully aware that this was the actual timeline, and in order to mislead your readers and support your false narrative, you withheld the date of Mr. Hannity’s comments from your story,” writes the official letter.

The New York Times published a disgusting smear against Sean Hannity over the weekend; blaming a New York man’s tragic death from the Coronavirus on Sean, and the Fox News Channel.

Rest - https://hannity.com/sean-demands-retraction-and-apology

NY Times responds to Hannity demand for retraction, apology: 'Our answer is no'

The New York Times on Tuesday said it would not retract or apologize for columns critical of Fox News host Sean Hannity's coverage of the coronavirus pandemic after Hannity's attorney threatened legal action against the newspaper.

"The columns are accurate, do not reasonably imply what you and Mr. Hannity allege they do, and constitute protected opinion," wrote Times's legal counsel David E. McCraw to Hannity attorney Charles Harder.

"In response to your request for an apology and retraction, our answer is 'no,' " the letter concludes.

Rest - https://thehill.com/homenews/media/495018-ny-times-responds-to-hannity-demand-for-retraction-apology-our-answer-is-no

hjmick
04-28-2020, 01:49 PM
Well, I read one of the articles, it was linked in the piece in your link to The Hill. It was written on April 18th, updated on the 19th (though there is no mention of what the update was) and I see no reason for Hannity to take issue with it...

From the article:

...On March 1, Joe Joyce and his wife, Jane, set sail for Spain on a cruise, flying first to Florida. His adult children — Kevin, Eddie and Kristen Mider — suggested that the impending doom of the coronavirus made this a bad idea. Joe Joyce was 74, a nonsmoker, healthy; four years after he opened his bar he stopped drinking completely. He didn’t see the problem.

“He watched Fox, and believed it was under control,’’ Kristen told me.

Early in March Sean Hannity went on air proclaiming that he didn’t like the way that the American people were getting scared “unnecessarily.’’ He saw it all, he said, “as like, let’s bludgeon Trump with this new hoax.”

Eventually, Fox changed course and took the virus more seriously, but the Joyces were long gone by then. A spokeswoman for Fox News said that Mr. Hannity made statements taking the spread of coronavirus seriously early on, and that his comment about the public being scared by the coverage happened after the Joyces had left on their cruise...

If anything, the daughter of the subject of the article lays her father's death at Trumps feet:

“If Trump had gone on TV with a mask on and said, ‘Hey this is serious,’ I don’t think he would have gone.”

A Beloved Bar Owner Was Skeptical About the Virus. Then He Took a Cruise. (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/18/nyregion/coronavirus-jjbubbles-joe-joyce.html?searchResultPosition=1)

I'll be looking for the other two articles The Hill says are at issue, but I do know one thing for sure: Sean Hannity is a drama queen and prone to histrionics...

Kathianne
04-28-2020, 01:57 PM
Well, I read one of the articles, it was linked in the piece in your link to The Hill. It was written on April 18th, updated on the 19th (though there is no mention of what the update was) and I see no reason for Hannity to take issue with it...

From the article:

...On March 1, Joe Joyce and his wife, Jane, set sail for Spain on a cruise, flying first to Florida. His adult children — Kevin, Eddie and Kristen Mider — suggested that the impending doom of the coronavirus made this a bad idea. Joe Joyce was 74, a nonsmoker, healthy; four years after he opened his bar he stopped drinking completely. He didn’t see the problem.

Early in March Sean Hannity went on air proclaiming that he didn’t like the way that the American people were getting scared “unnecessarily.’’ He saw it all, he said, “as like, let’s bludgeon Trump with this new hoax.”

Eventually, Fox changed course and took the virus more seriously, but the Joyces were long gone by then. A spokeswoman for Fox News said that Mr. Hannity made statements taking the spread of coronavirus seriously early on, and that his comment about the public being scared by the coverage happened after the Joyces had left on their cruise...

If anything, the daughter of the subject of the article lays her father's death at Trumps feet:

“If Trump had gone on TV with a mask on and said, ‘Hey this is serious,’ I don’t think he would have gone.”

A Beloved Bar Owner Was Skeptical About the Virus. Then He Took a Cruise. (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/18/nyregion/coronavirus-jjbubbles-joe-joyce.html?searchResultPosition=1)

I'll be looking for the other two articles The Hill says are at issue, but I do know one thing for sure: Sean Hannity is a drama queen and prone to histrionics...

This is true.

Black Diamond
04-28-2020, 02:08 PM

From the article:

Doesn't he still owe us a waterboarding?

jimnyc
04-28-2020, 02:21 PM

From the article:

Absolutely! Fox is guilty of being all over the map with information in the beginning like all the others. But IMO, they at least evolved, stayed on top of bad news & good news and reported both. The other side of the universe from perfect, but far from the worst. Perhaps he or others saw mixed stuff on Fox, but the attributed words to Hannity were from after the cruise was long gone.

Early in March Sean Hannity went on air proclaiming that he didn’t like the way that the American people were getting scared “unnecessarily.’’

I think this is where it stems. It's quite possible that he watched Fox and thought just that. But then they go onto Hannity's words in the same breath, to connect it somehow, but his words were 8/9 days after the cruise.

A spokeswoman for Fox News said that Mr. Hannity made statements taking the spread of coronavirus seriously early on, and that his comment about the public being scared by the coverage happened after the Joyces had left on their cruise...

I believe this to be the case, as I read a ton, same with about others on Fox. Hence me stating outright they were far from perfect. But I think Hannity was better than most with what I read, and the quoted comments were from March 9th. I CANNOT say for certain that he didn't say anything at all earlier, as I would be lying. I'm not a follower. I'm only basing this off of stories and the comments they are using.

I also agree that Trump should have worn a mask at least to be helpful when around others or at minimum perhaps spoke of them and other protections. Whether it would have changed anyone's minds, wouldn't have a clue, all guessing.

I also agree about him being rather a drama queen. I know an apology would be nice, but simply getting the truth out or correcting them in some manner should be sufficient. I don't think I see anything actionable in what transpired. So yeah, the demands are a tad much.

Hot Dogger
04-28-2020, 06:37 PM
Hannity has a lot of balls asking for an apology, because of course his dumb show gets people killed. I mean, that guys spiel has no doubt lured countless young men into joining the US military, only to fight and die in vainglory for The Yinon Plan for Greater Israel. You guys spend so much time watching FOX and CNN, you probably never even heard of The Yinon Plan. Well, spend some time reading and watching Israeli news for a change. Do your own research, amigos.