PDA

View Full Version : Unpredictable, But Predicted Unemployment During The Corona

Kathianne
04-29-2020, 03:01 PM
Sure, I heard of the complaints while they were working on the bill, can't say I paid much attention to the few voices. This morning I heard of a grocer I believe in NJ that was speaking to having lost many employees who favored hunkering down rather than work, since they were making $2k per week, without taxes. I'm assuming this will cause more problems as businesses try to open:

https://hotair.com/archives/jazz-shaw/2020/04/29/get-unemployment-refuse-return-work/

Should You Get Unemployment If You Refuse To Return To Work?
JAZZ SHAWPosted at 2:31 pm on April 29, 2020

When it comes to federal coronavirus relief efforts, particularly federally enhanced unemployment benefits, we continue to experience a phenomenon that was not just predictable but predicted. While the original $2 trillion dollar relief package was being debated, a number of Republican senators were excoriated for requesting an amendment that would cap unemployment benefits at a maximum equal to the worker’s most recent pay scale. This was apparently deemed “heartless” and somehow insulting to the recently unemployed.

It didn’t take long for the prediction to play out. We’ve already heard from employers in occupations ranging from landscaping to restaurants complaining that their former employees are refusing to come back to work. Why show up on the job and risk catching the virus when you can earn more money sheltering at home with everyone else, right?

jimnyc
04-29-2020, 03:14 PM
Was reading yesterday that because of the temporary changes within unemployment, that now not only is it an option to get paid when out of work under certain circumstances - but folks are now getting paid more than they would if they worked. Stay virus free AND make more.