PDA

View Full Version : 'Covid-19 came from a Chinese lab' .. Trump

Drummond
04-30-2020, 07:25 PM
We've got a breaking news story over here, saying that President Trump is claiming that the Covid-19 virus came from a laboratory in Wuhan.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/trump-says-seen-evidence-coronavirus-213100106.html

Donald Trump claimed on Thursday he has seen evidence that the coronavirus originated from a medical laboratory in the Wuhan province in China, and threatened to slap new tariffs on the Asian economic power.

The president this week has ramped up his criticism of Beijing after spending several weeks only suggesting Chinese leaders knew the novel virus had gone public in their country. He also on Thursday questioned why China allowed people to leave and travel around the globe when they knew some likely had contracted Covid-19.

During an event on seniors that turned into a press conference, the president was asked: "Have you seen anything at this point that gives you a high degree of confidence that the Wuhan Institute of Virology was the origin of this virus?"

He replied: "Yes, I have. And I think the WHO (World Health Organisation) should be ashamed of themselves."

Asked if he is suggesting China intentionally allowed the virus to spread, which could be considered a hostile act, Mr Trump would not rule out that he is close to such a conclusion.

"We're going to see where it is. We're going to see where it comes from," he said.

Some former intelligence officials instantly pushed back.

"Whether the virus originated in a market or accidentally escaped a lab would have had no bearing on the warnings Trump received – and ignored – nor on the preparatory steps he chose not to take," Ned Price, a former CIA and Obama White House official, tweeted as Mr Trump was still speaking in the East Room. "This is all about manipulating intelligence for political ends."

The Trump administration has launched an intelligence community probe seeking information on what Chinese officials knew and when – and what the World Health Organisation knew. His administration also wants to know if both entities covered up what they did know.

Asked directly if he has seen evidence that the virus originated at a virology clinic in Wuhan, the president replied: "I can't tell you that. I'm not allowed to tell you that."

That's the UK's Independent newspaper's version of this.

I was listening to LBC News around 45 minutes ago, as I type. The story broke then.

The presenter at that time was Tom Swarbrick. The way it was presented then, was to say that President Trump had alleged that there was reason to think that a Wuhan lab had released the virus.

The report went on to say that Trump gave nothing to back up his charge.

Swarbrick then commented freely .. calling it a 'completely ridiculous story'.

He went on to interview, by telephone, an American official, whose name I didn't catch. Swarbrick clearly tried to lead the interviewee into giving the opinion that Trump was talking rubbish. Unfortunately, he failed to get the response he wanted out of him.

So, up to this point, that's where my understanding of this story ends. Trump making his assertion: our media people trying, instantly, to discredit Trump for doing so.

An interesting aside: simultaneous to this, the BBC's 'Hardtalk' interview programme was being screened on BBC News. They were putting out the second or third screening of an interview held with China's Ambassador to London.

In it, the Ambassador went so far as to deny that Covid-19 ever originated in China.

He calls China 'a victim' of the virus, and although he acknowledged that there was a clear outbreak in Wuhan, no evidence pointed to its originating there. As I recall, the claim was made that it could've been flown into China from foreign aircraft, possibly freight transport.

This is already on YouTube !! So, hopefully, this recording will play here for an American audience.

See what you think !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNv75d0lyGg

I know what I think: it's an outrage, saying volumes for China's moral bankruptcy and its complete arrogance.

Kathianne
04-30-2020, 07:53 PM
We've got a breaking news story over here, saying that President Trump is claiming that the Covid-19 virus came from a laboratory in Wuhan.

I was listening to LBC News around 45 minutes ago, as I type. The story broke then.

The presenter at that time was Tom Swarbrick. The way it was presented then, was to say that President Trump had alleged that there was reason to think that a Wuhan lab had released the virus.

He went on to interview, by telephone, an American official, whose name I didn't catch. Swarbrick clearly tried to lead the interviewee into giving the opinion that Trump was talking rubbish. Unfortunately, he failed to get the response he wanted out of him.

So, up to this point, that's where my understanding of this story ends. Trump making his assertion: our media people trying, instantly, to discredit Trump for doing so.

An interesting aside: simultaneous to this, the BBC's 'Hardtalk' interview programme was being screened on BBC News. They were putting out the second or third screening of an interview held with China's Ambassador to London.

In it, the Ambassador went so far as to deny that Covid-19 ever originated in China.

He calls China 'a victim' of the virus, and although he acknowledged that there was a clear outbreak in Wuhan, no evidence pointed to its originating there. As I recall, the claim was made that it could've been flown into China from foreign aircraft, possibly freight transport.

This is already on YouTube !! So, hopefully, this recording will play here for an American audience.

See what you think !!

I know what I think: it's an outrage, saying volumes for China's moral bankruptcy and its complete arrogance.
Chinese officials have been on youtube for weeks spouting how America is responsible for the virus or they are ruining China's reputation or even blamed UK once. Disinformation out of China is at fever pitch and really not worth discussing.

That it came from Wuhan lab? Pretty much was determined weeks ago. The difference between what Trump says and what others have said is that he sees evidence.

Black Diamond
04-30-2020, 07:55 PM
Chinese officials have been on youtube for weeks spouting how America is responsible for the virus or they are ruining China's reputation or even blamed UK once. Disinformation out of China is at fever pitch and really not worth discussing.

That it came from Wuhan lab? Pretty much was determined weeks ago. The difference between what Trump says and what others have said is that he sees evidence.

An attack on America and the world...

Kathianne
04-30-2020, 08:01 PM
An attack on America and the world...
I've said from the get go, IF this was accidental release, once it happened China has used it as a bioweapon.

NightTrain
04-30-2020, 08:59 PM

See what you think !!

That was outstanding! Your Journalist really asked some hard-hitting questions and gave statements that I WISH American journalists asked.

There were very real boundaries established from Bejing that he was crystal clear on, and I loved the way your guy circled back and made him answer when he dodged. He was pretty slippery, and still skated on a few questions, but it was clear at that point that he was being evasive - and he knew it by his expression and frustration via body language.

Kudos, Drummond. There's hope for the world yet.

Hammer those Commies! Hopefully this interview will shame our American press into asking some hard-hitting questions.

jimnyc
05-01-2020, 08:02 AM
Woke up to this a little while earlier. Any surprise? NONE to me!

There will now be denials galore from them and WHO. Then the left will suck it up - and then the MSM will start reporting that Trump is responsible for every death and that he's now making up stories. :rolleyes:

Fact is, for me there is WAY more than enough proof to think that's the case, and WAY more than enough proof to show that the story about bats at the local market was BS.

Evmetro
05-01-2020, 08:32 AM
I've said from the get go, IF this was accidental release, once it happened China has used it as a bioweapon.

So many people are speculating about the unknown truth, so I applaud the way you used upper case when you typed "IF". I have learned to use language like that when talking about almost everything related to covid 19.

Drummond
05-01-2020, 08:35 AM
Woke up to this a little while earlier. Any surprise? NONE to me!

There will now be denials galore from them and WHO. Then the left will suck it up - and then the MSM will start reporting that Trump is responsible for every death and that he's now making up stories. :rolleyes:

Fact is, for me there is WAY more than enough proof to think that's the case, and WAY more than enough proof to show that the story about bats at the local market was BS.

Our version of your MSM made an early start. See what I posted above about LBC's reaction, courtesy of Tom Swarbrick. He launched into his 'this is complete rubbish' reaction to Trump's assertion without the slightest hesitation. He even tried to elicit the same reaction from an America he interviewed minutes later. Happily, whoever that individual was, he refused to play along. Swarbrick seemed taken aback ...

Our people are taking the line, 'Let Trump absolutely prove what he says. If he fails, ignore his claim as irresponsible potential war-mongering'.

Maybe many will lap up the shiftily-expressed denials of any culpability issued by the Chinese Ambassador to London.

Bastard Commie. Disgusting !

Drummond
05-01-2020, 08:50 AM
So many people are speculating about the unknown truth, so I applaud the way you used upper case when you typed "IF". I have learned to use language like that when talking about almost everything related to covid 19.

Have you, now ?

There will come a point (hopefully, even for you ?) when you comprehend that equivocation for the sake of projecting 'proof of enlightened thinking' has no future to it.

Matters such as how Covid-19 emerged, need the fullest scrutiny, and given that proof of clear culpability exists, just retribution is the path forward. The thumb-twiddling implicit in contemplating the moral superiority of 'IF', isn't the best possible reaction to a pathogen that's killing the innocent by the thousands.

It really isn't.

if you think it is, then may you enjoy the next threat to humanity that spreads across the world. Ask yourself, then, 'IF' deterrence could've avoided it.

Kathianne
05-01-2020, 09:34 AM
Have you, now ?

There will come a point (hopefully, even for you ?) when you comprehend that equivocation for the sake of projecting 'proof of enlightened thinking' has no future to it.

Matters such as how Covid-19 emerged, need the fullest scrutiny, and given that proof of clear culpability exists, just retribution is the path forward. The thumb-twiddling implicit in contemplating the moral superiority of 'IF', isn't the best possible reaction to a pathogen that's killing the innocent by the thousands.

It really isn't.

if you think it is, then may you enjoy the next threat to humanity that spreads across the world. Ask yourself, then, 'IF' deterrence could've avoided it.

Interesting, as in this case I was using the 'if' as independent of anything such. Indeed, IF would not negate the consequences that should be visited upon China, because of the aftermath. No equivocation in the results, regardless of how it began.

Drummond
05-01-2020, 09:58 AM
Interesting, as in this case I was using the 'if' as independent of anything such. Indeed, IF would not negate the consequences that should be visited upon China, because of the aftermath. No equivocation in the results, regardless of how it began.

No, there certainly wasn't, not in your own post.

That Chinese Ambassador in the video I posted (which the BBC News Channel broadcasted last night, twice over) was intent upon his hand-wringing performance, and even had the arrogance to take swipes at the US into the bargain.

Well, I don't believe Donald Trump is a liar. Which means that, sooner or later, the Chinese must pay a price for what they've done.