PDA

View Full Version : Putin Dissolves Russian Government

-Cp
09-12-2007, 09:55 AM
I'm sure thankful we don't live in a country where this can happen!

MOSCOW (AP) - President Vladimir Putin dissolved Russia's government Wednesday in a major political shakeup ahead of parliamentary and presidential elections, the Kremlin said.

The dissolution is expected to result in a new prime minister, who will be seen as Putin's choice to succeed him after he steps down next spring.

The newspaper Vedomosti, citing unidentified Kremlin officials, reported that Sergei Ivanov, a first deputy prime minister and a leading contender to succeed Putin, could be appointed to replace Prime Minister Mikhail Fradkov.

Another first deputy prime minister, Dmitry Medvedev, who is a top executive at natural gas monopoly OAO Gazprom, is considered the other leading contender.

Under the constitution, Putin has two weeks to propose a new head of government, which the lower house of parliament, the State Duma, then has a week to vote on. Russian news agencies said Fradkov would serve as acting prime minister until the vote.

Fradkov said he asked for the dissolution of the government because with elections approaching, Putin needed to have a free hand to make decisions, including those concerning appointments.

Parliamentary elections are scheduled for Dec. 2, followed some three months later by presidential balloting.

"You might be right that we must all think about how to structure the government so that it better suits the pre-election period and prepares the country for what will happen after the parliamentary and presidential elections," Putin said.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070912/D8RJUT003.html

Mr. P
09-12-2007, 10:19 AM
I'm sure thankful we don't live in a country where this can happen!

MOSCOW (AP) - President Vladimir Putin dissolved Russia's government Wednesday in a major political shakeup ahead of parliamentary and presidential elections, the Kremlin said.

The dissolution is expected to result in a new prime minister, who will be seen as Putin's choice to succeed him after he steps down next spring.

The newspaper Vedomosti, citing unidentified Kremlin officials, reported that Sergei Ivanov, a first deputy prime minister and a leading contender to succeed Putin, could be appointed to replace Prime Minister Mikhail Fradkov.

Another first deputy prime minister, Dmitry Medvedev, who is a top executive at natural gas monopoly OAO Gazprom, is considered the other leading contender.

Under the constitution, Putin has two weeks to propose a new head of government, which the lower house of parliament, the State Duma, then has a week to vote on. Russian news agencies said Fradkov would serve as acting prime minister until the vote.

Fradkov said he asked for the dissolution of the government because with elections approaching, Putin needed to have a free hand to make decisions, including those concerning appointments.

Parliamentary elections are scheduled for Dec. 2, followed some three months later by presidential balloting.

"You might be right that we must all think about how to structure the government so that it better suits the pre-election period and prepares the country for what will happen after the parliamentary and presidential elections," Putin said.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070912/D8RJUT003.html

Ahhhh the KGB is still alive and well.

Monkeybone
09-12-2007, 10:35 AM
ah i didn't see this one. sorry

i will restate though "as long as they keep to themselves....nothing? other than when they almost had a nuclear disaster...oh well.

what will this do over there? will they be able to have more 'free reign' in what they wanna do?"

truthmatters
09-12-2007, 11:01 AM
ah i didn't see this one. sorry

i will restate though "as long as they keep to themselves....nothing? other than when they almost had a nuclear disaster...oh well.

what will this do over there? will they be able to have more 'free reign' in what they wanna do?"

I missed it too somehow.

This world may get even scarier soon.

Dilloduck
09-12-2007, 11:02 AM
I missed it too somehow.

This world may get even scarier soon.

Please tell us your not planning to run for any office. :laugh2:

truthmatters
09-12-2007, 11:16 AM
Please tell us your not planning to run for any office. :laugh2:

You dont have ay thoughts on the subject?

Did you find those charts about AQ deaths in Iraq?

darin
09-12-2007, 11:29 AM
You don't have any thoughts on the subject?

GOOD Lord..LAUGH at yourself TM. :)

:D

It was funny. :)

09-12-2007, 03:07 PM
well.. i said something big was going to happen this week. not what I expected, but I think this qualifies as big.

Gaffer
09-12-2007, 03:25 PM
He's working hard to get russia back on the communist track. Next will come invasion of the neighboring countries that have broken away from the USSR.

manu1959
09-12-2007, 03:28 PM
i was in the USSR in red square....when Brezhnev got the "flu" and the KGB took over.....

seems like old times....