PDA

View Full Version : Students not allows to wear USA "Flag Clothes" on 9/11

-Cp
09-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Well - I'm almost gonna side with the school on this one. Mainly because I think using the USA flag to make clothes out of - or making clothes to look like the flag - goes against the rules of use for it.

The Flag Code (http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html#36) says in 176.d
(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.

In addtion, the headline to this story is a bit misleading as it says "High School Bans American Flag" - the flag wasn't banned...

http://www.nbc17.com/midatlantic/ncn/news.apx.-content-articles-NCN-2007-09-11-0027.html

Mr. P
09-12-2007, 10:37 AM
No one should ever wear such clothes.

Hagbard Celine
09-12-2007, 10:40 AM
This guy ought to be ashamed of himself.
http://fromoutanowhere.com/images/Amican_Flag_shirt_pics_H.H._004.jpg

Reading this thread, the word "buffoon" comes to mind. I don't know why :dunno:

Hugh Lincoln
09-12-2007, 09:08 PM
But the scope of the ban is on any depiction, including proper ones. This is what multiculturalism gets you: NOBODY can express themselves. Nice going.

5stringJeff
09-14-2007, 08:08 AM
Screw that. Wearing flag-like clothes can be a sign of patriotism just like anything else. The school is dead wrong.

-Cp
09-14-2007, 12:21 PM
Screw that. Wearing flag-like clothes can be a sign of patriotism just like anything else. The school is dead wrong.

So you have no problems going against the flag code?

gabosaurus
09-14-2007, 01:00 PM
If the school has a dress code, and the kid's clothes violate the dress code, then the school is right.
My husband's school had a similar case. The dress code prohibited "all slogans, designs and insignia not associated with the school." A guy and his sister wanted to shirts with religious messages and pictures of Jesus. The school said it violated the dress code.

It's not about "patriotism." It's about adhering to the dress code.

JohnDoe
09-14-2007, 02:06 PM
So you have no problems going against the flag code?Cp, wearing those flag pins, like they do on FOX, ARE against flag code too...should we tell the FOX newscasters to not wear them too? And all the other millions of Americans that are wearing those Flag Lapel pins?

And also, Flag code in nonbinding....it is not US CODE covering the Flag....

President Bush, signing his name to that flag in the thread that I think Gabo posted, Broke US CODE if he was in Washington DC when he did it, which is $100 fine and 30 days in jail....

TheStripey1
09-14-2007, 02:32 PM
Cp, wearing those flag pins, like they do on FOX, ARE against flag code too...should we tell the FOX newscasters to not wear them too? And all the other millions of Americans that are wearing those Flag Lapel pins?

And also, Flag code in nonbinding....it is not US CODE covering the Flag....

President Bush, signing his name to that flag in the thread that I think Gabo posted, Broke US CODE if he was in Washington DC when he did it, which is $100 fine and 30 days in jail....

but bush is above the law... doncha know?

I don't like using the flag for anything except to adorn flag poles and the coffins of our fallen soldiers. I especially don't like seeing them flying in tatters from someone's speeding pickup truck.

It's disrespectful and those cretins that do it should be taken out and... well, I'll let you fill in the empty space... but 5-string's new av could be a good start... one way of course with the cretin on the receiving end...

Monkeybone
09-14-2007, 02:43 PM
how are the flag lapel pins against it?

JohnDoe
09-14-2007, 03:12 PM
how are the flag lapel pins against it?

Here is the US CODE covering the Flag and shows howour President, if in Washington DC, should not have marked and signed that child's flag as a souvineer....number 3.

UNITED STATES CODE
TITLE 4
CHAPTER 1 - THE FLAG

§1. Flag; stripes and stars on
The flag of the United States shall be thirteen horizontal stripes, alternate red and white; and the union of the flag shall be forty-eight stars, white in a blue field.

§ 2. Same; additional stars
On the admission of a new State into the Union one star shall be added to the union of the flag; and such addition shall take effect on the fourth day of July then next succeeding such admission.

§ 3. Use of flag for advertising purposes; mutilation of flag
Any person who, within the District of Columbia, in any manner, for exhibition or display, shall place or cause to be placed any word, figure, mark, picture, design, drawing, or any advertisement of any nature upon any flag, standard, colors, or ensign of the United States of America; or shall expose or cause to be exposed to public view any such flag, standard, colors, or ensign upon which shall have been printed, painted, or otherwise placed, or to which shall be attached, appended, affixed, or annexed any word, figure, mark, picture, design, or drawing, or any advertisement of any nature; or who, within the District of Columbia, shall manufacture, sell, expose for sale, or to public view, or give away or have in possession for sale, or to be given away or for use for any purpose, any article or substance being an article of merchandise, or a receptacle for merchandise or article or thing for carrying or transporting merchandise, upon which shall have been printed, painted, attached, or otherwise placed a representation of any such flag, standard, colors, or ensign, to advertise, call attention to, decorate, mark, or distinguish the article or substance on which so placed shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be punished by a fine not exceeding $100 or by imprisonment for not more than thirty days, or both, in the discretion of the court. The words 'flag, standard, colors, or ensign', as used herein, shall include any flag, standard, colors, ensign, or any picture or representation of either, or of any part or parts of either, made of any substance or represented on any substance, of any size evidently purporting to be either of said flag, standard, colors, or ensign of the United States of America or a picture or a representation of either, upon which shall be shown the colors, the stars and the stripes, in any number of either thereof, or of any part or parts of either, by which the average person seeing the same without deliberation may believe the same to represent the flag, colors, standard, or ensign of the United States of America.

Here is US FLAG Code, that shows wearing a flag lapel pin is authorized for military men, the families of such, during wartime etc... so, those flag lapel pins are authorized for soldiers or their family, is how i read it...? but i could be wrong?

§180. Design for service lapel button; persons entitled to wear button

The Secretary of Defense is also authorized and directed to approve a design for a service lapel (flag) button, which button may be worn by members of the immediate family of a person serving in the armed forces of the United States during any period of war or hostilities in which the Armed Forces of the United States may be engaged.

-Cp
09-14-2007, 03:28 PM
I think, after re-reading some of these codes, it lies in what you define as a flag....

Was that kids' plastic -in the shape and colors of a miniature flag - a real flag?

Are the clothes with stars and stripes folks wear really made from a flag?

JohnDoe
09-14-2007, 04:14 PM
I think, after re-reading some of these codes, it lies in what you define as a flag....

Was that kids' plastic -in the shape and colors of a miniature flag - a real flag?

Are the clothes with stars and stripes folks wear really made from a flag? i think you might be right on that cp, but i am not 100% certain?

jimnyc
09-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Here is the US CODE covering the Flag and shows howour President, if in Washington DC, should not have marked and signed that child's flag as a souvineer....number 3.

Not debating anything, just adding this as a matter of record. All the references I've seen given to this picture on the 'net state it was in Michigan.

JohnDoe
09-14-2007, 04:22 PM
Not debating anything, just adding this as a matter of record. All the references I've seen given to this picture on the 'net state it was in Michigan.then he did NOT break the law!!! the code only is LAW in washington, dc, from what i can make out!

5stringJeff
09-14-2007, 04:22 PM

Are the clothes with stars and stripes folks wear really made from a flag?

That's why I think it's OK to wear such clothes.

-Cp
09-14-2007, 04:54 PM
That's why I think it's OK to wear such clothes.

".. It depends on what the definition of the word is is"...

-Bill Clinton