PDA

View Full Version : 500 Scientists Counter Al Gore

-Cp
09-12-2007, 10:55 AM
I know the in-house libs of dp won't like to see this, but 500 scientists have countered Al Bore on "Man-made" global warming:

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/news_press_release,176495.shtml

Yurt
09-16-2007, 01:01 PM
A great thread, thought it needed a refresher:

WASHINGTON, Sept. 12 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- A new analysis of peer-reviewed literature reveals that more than 500 scientists have published evidence refuting at least one element of current man-made global warming scares. More than 300 of the scientists found evidence that 1) a natural moderate 1,500-year climate cycle has produced more than a dozen global warmings similar to ours since the last Ice Age and/or that 2) our Modern Warming is linked strongly to variations in the sun's irradiance. "This data and the list of scientists make a mockery of recent claims that a scientific consensus blames humans as the primary cause of global temperature increases since 1850," said Hudson Institute Senior Fellow Dennis Avery.

Other researchers found evidence that 3) sea levels are failing to rise importantly; 4) that our storms and droughts are becoming fewer and milder with this warming as they did during previous global warmings; 5) that human deaths will be reduced with warming because cold kills twice as many people as heat; and 6) that corals, trees, birds, mammals, and butterflies are adapting well to the routine reality of changing climate.
Despite being published in such journals such as Science, Nature and Geophysical Review Letters, these scientists have gotten little media attention. "Not all of these researchers would describe themselves as global warming skeptics," said Avery, "but the evidence in their studies is there for all to see."

-Cp
09-16-2007, 01:12 PM
Yup.. I love how the libs avoided this one.. lol

diuretic
09-16-2007, 11:02 PM
Meanwhile out in the real world....

http://www.nrdc.org/globalWarming/qthinice.asp

TheStripey1
09-17-2007, 05:22 PM
I know the in-house libs of dp won't like to see this, but 500 scientists have countered Al Bore on "Man-made" global warming:

Global Warming or Global Climate Change, doesn't need anyone's permission to be. You can agree with it or deny it, but it won't make a lick of difference to it.

So.... where do you think all of those glaciers disappeared to? Do you think they will return any time soon?

Maybe you'd like to comment on what these men have to say...

NPR
Climate Change Worries Military Advisers
Morning Edition, April 16, 2007 (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9580815)

We're used to hearing scientists warn us about climate change. Now a group of retired generals and admirals says global warming could provoke serious national security threats.

Climate change could create land loss, mass migrations, loss of natural resources, and increased demands on water that may exacerbate or cause conflict — "all things that could have some sort of effect on our security interests around the world," says retired Gen. Anthony Zinni, a member of the military advisory panel.

...snip

"Even a small change of 2 to 3 degrees in one direction could be the difference between a management problem [and] a catastrophe," Zinni tells Renee Montagne.

...snip

Following is a summary of the advisory panel's findings and recommendations:

Findings

1. Projected climate change poses a serious threat to America's national security.

2. Climate change acts increases the potential instability in some of the most volatile regions of the world.

3. Projected climate change will boost tensions even in stable regions.

4. Climate change, national security and energy dependence are a related set of global challenges.

Recommendations

1. Climate change should be integrated into national security and national defense strategies.

2. The United States should vow to help stabilize climate changes at levels that will avoid significant disruption to global security and stability.

3. The United States should commit to global partnerships that help less-developed nations better manage climate impacts.

4. The Department of Defense should speed adoption of improved business processes and innovative technologies that boost U.S. combat power through energy efficiency.

5. The Pentagon should assess the impact on U.S. military installations worldwide of rising sea levels, extreme weather events, and other possible climate change impacts over the next 30 to 40 years.

Source: National Security and the Threat of Climate Change

TheStripey1
09-17-2007, 05:28 PM
Yup.. I love how the libs avoided this one.. lol

some people have fun with their family and friends on weekends... others stay inside all alone, pounding away on their keyboards hoping someone will pay attention to them...

:cheers2:

I had a great weekend... how about you?

TheStripey1
09-17-2007, 05:35 PM

Let's see... a right winged think tank says there's no such thing as global warming and all the righties celebrate.

There are quite a few effects that we will all be facing with global warming. Droughts, wildfires, insect infestations, and floods to name four...

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the south eastern United States in one of it's worst droughts in decades? And how about all that midwest flooding? Some of the worst ever...

Is it all cyclical as the right wingers like to claim? so what if it is?

we are going to have to do something to stop it's toll on our civilization or else we will be going the way of the Atlanteans...

MtnBiker
09-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Let's see... a right winged think tank says there's no such thing as global warming and all the righties celebrate.

Really, where in the link did it mention there is no such thing as global warming?

MtnBiker
09-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Maybe you'd like to comment on what these men have to say...

Exactly what did they say about man made global warming?

Abbey Marie
09-17-2007, 05:52 PM
some people have fun with their family and friends on weekends... others stay inside all alone, pounding away on their keyboards hoping someone will pay attention to them...

Directing that to a guy who hardly even posts is just silly. You must really be upset by his message.

Why don't you point that particular finger at our resident conspiracy theorist, TM, who had the record of number of posts for a few days running? And wacked-out ones at that.

Yurt
09-17-2007, 09:52 PM

did you work on friday or today?

remie
09-18-2007, 07:21 AM

Come on man. I usually respect your opinion but this outfit has Leonardo DiCaprio, Robert Redford and James Taylor on its board. This somehow makes me a little suspect of their agenda.

diuretic
09-18-2007, 07:04 PM
Come on man. I usually respect your opinion but this outfit has Leonardo DiCaprio, Robert Redford and James Taylor on its board. This somehow makes me a little suspect of their agenda.

I have to rely on them, I'm hopeless with science but I can absorb stuff that explains things to me.

MtnBiker
09-23-2007, 11:25 PM

Really, where in the link did it mention there is no such thing as global warming?

ps, I doubt Stripey is going to answer this.

Psychoblues
09-27-2007, 11:48 PM
What about the 5,000 or so that say that 10% is nuts?

April15
09-28-2007, 01:11 PM
I know this won't make any difference to the inhouse deniers, but the world outside the us is making tracks to change, or at least try to, the warming trend. So what does that say to you guys?

Trigg
09-28-2007, 01:26 PM
I know this won't make any difference to the inhouse deniers, but the world outside the us is making tracks to change, or at least try to, the warming trend. So what does that say to you guys?

So far no one has denied global warming is taking place, at least on this thread.

The argument is whether WE are causing it or if it is just a normal cycle that the earth is going through.

typomaniac
09-28-2007, 03:14 PM
So far no one has denied global warming is taking place, at least on this thread.

The argument is whether WE are causing it or if it is just a normal cycle that the earth is going through.

And obviously it's never occurred to most of you that it could be both.

actsnoblemartin
09-28-2007, 06:55 PM
someone dared defy god (al gore) :laugh2:

April15
09-28-2007, 07:54 PM
And obviously it's never occurred to most of you that it could be both.I can't admit that as then where would the argument be?

TheyLive
09-29-2007, 01:14 AM

The only thing these scientists seem to be saying is that it's possible the current warming trend is part of a natural-cycle, since the earth has gone through warming periods in the past; and/or that the contemporary trend is linked to variations in sun's heat.

These are counter-possibilities, not counter-evidence to the prevailing theories; in fact, there's nothing really "counter" about them, since a natural-cycle could be converging with increased industrial emissions, "and/or" the sun's heat is increasing due to the greenhouse effect -- the classic explanation, after all.

stephanie
09-29-2007, 03:36 AM
The only thing predictable about Mother Earth...

Is it is totally........Unpredictable...

I'm going along with it for the free ride it has given me...
I've been so far ahead of the Gores and those squible little light bulbs and Barbara Straitened telling me to conserve as she lives out of one of her four homes.........
, and the one piece of toilet paper of the Cherry Crows........ in my preservation of my earth.........It is funny...
'

You fools go on, and try and predict her nature and moods......

I'll have enjoyed her wonderful pleasure...while you fools suffer over whether she will survive your dumb asses using her...

When she decides to blow your asses off of her........so long.....
she will be laughing all the way about you humans, thinking you all can stop.......Mother Earth.........:laugh2:

P. T. Barnbarn....was right.......:dance:

Yurt
09-29-2007, 08:35 PM
The only thing these scientists seem to be saying is that it's possible the current warming trend is part of a natural-cycle, since the earth has gone through warming periods in the past; and/or that the contemporary trend is linked to variations in sun's heat.

These are counter-possibilities, not counter-evidence to the prevailing theories; in fact, there's nothing really "counter" about them, since a natural-cycle could be converging with increased industrial emissions, "and/or" the sun's heat is increasing due to the greenhouse effect -- the classic explanation, after all.

At least you admit, no one has the "answer." And btw, your "counters" are messed up. You argue against your point. If it is "I don't know" fine. But, that is not "evidence" and it is not "counter."

Fact is, you don't know, I don't know, no one knows.

TheyLive
09-30-2007, 07:03 PM
At least you admit, no one has the "answer." And btw, your "counters" are messed up. You argue against your point. If it is "I don't know" fine. But, that is not "evidence" and it is not "counter."

Fact is, you don't know, I don't know, no one knows.

Sure, no one knows for certain, but that doesn't lessen the importance of modifying our behavior, which, even if it is not jeopardizing life on the planet, is extremely wasteful compared with sustainable alternatives.

Trigg
10-02-2007, 11:43 AM
Sure, no one knows for certain, but that doesn't lessen the importance of modifying our behavior, which, even if it is not jeopardizing life on the planet, is extremely wasteful compared with sustainable alternatives.

Yes recycling our garbage makes a lot of sense, in fact my family takes this seriously. For to long people just threw things away with no thought of where it went.

Al Gore is trying to scare people into thinking WE are the only problem. When he has no idea if that is true. The earth has gone through many cycles before and well continue to do so, it's called nature.

10-02-2007, 11:49 AM

actually, its foolish to modify our behavior with no reason to know that changing behavior is necessary or will bring about good and desired results.

Angel Heart
10-02-2007, 01:39 PM
Yes recycling our garbage makes a lot of sense, in fact my family takes this seriously. For to long people just threw things away with no thought of where it went.

Al Gore is trying to scare people into thinking WE are the only problem. When he has no idea if that is true. The earth has gone through many cycles before and well continue to do so, it's called nature.

I think recycling is over all a bunch of BS....

Here this will explain what I mean very well:

<embed style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-1444391672891013193&hl=en" flashvars=""> </embed>

Penn & Teller Bullshit ~ Recycling

Trigg
10-02-2007, 01:39 PM
actually, its foolish to modify our behavior with no reason to know that changing behavior is necessary or will bring about good and desired results.

We already know that recycling brings about good results. I hope more people are encouraged to do this since it saves space in our land fills.

Growing up it was perfectly acceptable to throw trash out the window, and the road side was a mess. People stopped doing that, now we have nice clean streets. Modified behavior which leads to a good result.

Personnally I think people have had an affect on the planet, how can we not since there are so many of us. I do not however, think we brought about global warming. I think it is a normal cycle that the earth is going through.

Trigg
10-02-2007, 01:49 PM
I think recycling is over all a bunch of BS....

Here this will explain what I mean very well:

<embed style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-1444391672891013193&hl=en" flashvars=""> </embed>

Penn & Teller Bullshit ~ Recycling

So because it costs money to recycle it's BS?? Using things over makes sense to me. It costs me money to wash my clothes does that mean I should just go out and buy more instead?? It costs me time and money to wash my dishes, I'll just start chucking them also.

I take all my cans to the recycle plant myself instead of setting them out at the curb. I brought home $35, last time I did this, which went into my kids account. It does not bother me to pay for the recycle truck since I know my paper products are being used again for something else.

People complain about using links to FOX and you pull out Penn and Teller :laugh2:

Monkeybone
10-02-2007, 02:32 PM

geesh..Trigg and her hippy recycling ;)

yah we may be going through a cycle and yah we may be causing some of it. but we are trying to change. but you can't change like how you flip a light off and on. if you really wanna yell at someone look to china and shit. when we pump out like they do then we can worry. atleast we have some sort of regulations

hjmick
10-02-2007, 03:16 PM
So because it costs money to recycle it's BS?? Using things over makes sense to me. It costs me money to wash my clothes does that mean I should just go out and buy more instead?? It costs me time and money to wash my dishes, I'll just start chucking them also.

I take all my cans to the recycle plant myself instead of setting them out at the curb. I brought home $35, last time I did this, which went into my kids account. It does not bother me to pay for the recycle truck since I know my paper products are being used again for something else.

People complain about using links to FOX and you pull out Penn and Teller :laugh2:

So, ten minutes after the video is posted, a twenty nine minute video mind you, you have passed judgement as to it's content and what the message is? Without watching two thirds of the episode you have done this. Interesting. Interesting that you missed the part where they tell us that the recycling of aluminum is the only program that works both financially as well as for the environment. I can only surmise that you also missed the part where they told us that the recycling of paper creates more pollution and waste than it saves, or the fact that overall recycling programs are a waste of time. Did you also miss the part where they visit the Whittier landfill? There they have a system for capturing the methane gas created from decomposition and convert it into enough energy to power several thousand homes each year.

And just for the record, P&T are far more reliable than FoxNews, P&T have no agenda. Just saying.

Angel Heart
10-02-2007, 03:21 PM
Let's get to banning dihydrogen monoxide:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yi3erdgVVTw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yi3erdgVVTw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Trigg
10-02-2007, 05:37 PM
So, ten minutes after the video is posted, a twenty nine minute video mind you, you have passed judgement as to it's content and what the message is? Without watching two thirds of the episode you have done this. Interesting. Interesting that you missed the part where they tell us that the recycling of aluminum is the only program that works both financially as well as for the environment. I can only surmise that you also missed the part where they told us that the recycling of paper creates more pollution and waste than it saves, or the fact that overall recycling programs are a waste of time. Did you also miss the part where they visit the Whittier landfill? There they have a system for capturing the methane gas created from decomposition and convert it into enough energy to power several thousand homes each year.

What you've never heard of fast forward?? Aluminum recycling works, so it isn't BS..one statement you and angel heart have wrong....according to your own source.

Recycling programs may take time and money but they...pay attention now....use things more than once, which is a good thing.

I already knew about methane gas at land fills, fast forwarded that part since I already am aware of it.

SpidermanTUba
10-09-2007, 10:39 PM

"The names were compiled by Avery and climate physicist S. Fred Singer,..."

Fred Singer? The Fred Singer? The one the cigarette companies hired in the early 90's to discredit sound science? The same one whose research is funded by Exxon ?

Yeah, that's hilarious! Sure, this guys real credible! LOL

And Avery doesn't even have a degree in science.