PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Blue State Power

Abbey Marie
05-07-2020, 03:59 PM
Story on our local news tonight.

The number of child abuse cases are down a good bit in PA for the month of April.

Sounds good, right? Not so fast, Mister.

Cue a woman from some PA child commision, stating that she believes the numbers are totally misleading. The abuse is all of a sudden just not being reported. How does she crystal-ball this info? Don't ask; she ain't saying.

But what she did say made me recoil.

She wants every person in the state to be a mandatory reporter. If you think someone is abusing a child, you would be required to report them. Maybe Kath as a former teacher can tell us what kind, if any, evidence, is required before turning someone's life upsode down on a suspicion.

More importantly, what happens to you if you don't report something that the State thinks you should have reported? Criminal offense? In other words, how mandatory is mandatory?

This on the heels of Jim's post about CA possible forcing folks with COVID out of their homes is just too much.

I'm thinking our move to the "Live Free or Die" state may need to be sooner than later.

Kathianne
05-07-2020, 04:05 PM
Story on our local news tonight.

The number of child abuse cases are down a good bit in PA for the month of April.

Sounds good, right? Not so fast, Mister.

Cue a woman from some PA child commision, stating that she believes the numbers are totally misleading. The abuse is all of a sudden just not being reported. How does she crystal-ball this info? Don't ask; she ain't saying.

But what she did say made me recoil.

She wants every person in the state to be a mandatory reporter. If you think someone is abusing a child, you would be required to report them. Maybe Kath as a former teacher can tell us what kind, if any, evidence, is required before turning someone's life upsode down on a suspicion.

More importantly, what happens to you if you don't report something that the State thinks you should have reported? Criminal offense? In other words, how mandatory is mandatory?

This on the heels of Jim's post about CA possible forcing folks with COVID out of their homes is just too much.

I'm thinking our move to the "Live Free or Die" state may need to be sooner than later.

Actually, there is no standard, like all, with the exception of malicious intent, which of course no teacher would ever have. Right. :rolleyes:

Sarcasm aside, I've not known anyone who didn't struggle with reporting, for many reasons.

Abbey Marie
05-07-2020, 04:13 PM
Actually, there is no standard, like all, with the exception of malicious intent, which of course no teacher would ever have. Right. :rolleyes:

Sarcasm aside, I've not known anyone who didn't struggle with reporting, for many reasons.

I figured as much.

Yeah, no one has ever reported anyone maliciously. No, of course not. :rolleyes:

And even if not outright maliciously motivated, the busybodies will have a field day. I was a victim of physical abuse as a child, and even I think this is a very bad idea.