PDA

View Full Version : Masks: Who is responsible for the air we breathe?

Evmetro
05-09-2020, 10:47 AM
If we suspect that there is hazmat in the air at a business that we plan on entering, who is responsible to ensure that it stays out of our lungs? For me, I have learned to use OSHA guidelines to select the appropriate masks or cartridges to protect myself from whatever hazmat is suspected to be present, and in the case of virus protection, OSHA specifies N95 masks or P100 cartridges. If anybody where I work was caught substituting a homemade mask or anything besides what OSHA recommends, the business would be fined.

Does it really make sense to expect others to filter the air coming out of their bodies in order to protect others? If we cannot see the invisible threat in the air, we cannot even know if there is even a threat. The most we can have is just a perception and belief that it is there. Can we really expect others to protect us from a threat we can't even know for sure exists? We are all free to protect ourselves from whatever threats we believe to exist, and I dont think the responsibility belongs to anybody but ourselves. Even if we could hold others responsible for how their natural bodily gases impact the environment, I certainly wouldn't trust anybody with such a responsibility. I'll be the one to ensure that I don't breathe perceived threats.

jimnyc
05-09-2020, 11:27 AM
OSHA specifies N95 masks or P100 cartridges.

This is what matters here. And has been known for ages, hence folks using various grades of PPE. Those working with certain materials will wear things so strong such as a P100 or N99-N100 masks, doctors included, and they all live to continue talking.

By now everyone has seen what a good N95 mask looks like. And the good 3M masks, for example, costs anywhere from .75 to 1.00 to make and/or buy. They are very cheap. But for a few bucks more, like up to $15 more to be exact, you can get a simple looking mask like below. Also 3M and very similar looking!! Difference being, this is the highest rated NIOSH mask you can get. Don't even think of looking for them, nearly impossible to get.

https://i.imgur.com/8POQjuv.png

Evmetro
05-09-2020, 11:50 AM
This is what matters here. And has been known for ages, hence folks using various grades of PPE. Those working with certain materials will wear things so strong such as a P100 or N99-N100 masks, doctors included, and they all live to continue talking.

By now everyone has seen what a good N95 mask looks like. And the good 3M masks, for example, costs anywhere from .75 to 1.00 to make and/or buy. They are very cheap. But for a few bucks more, like up to $15 more to be exact, you can get a simple looking mask like below. Also 3M and very similar looking!! Difference being, this is the highest rated NIOSH mask you can get. Don't even think of looking for them, nearly impossible to get.

https://i.imgur.com/8POQjuv.png

I use the N95 and P100 at work every day, and I learned to stock up on them after the paradise fires. I still have cases of both, but I do not wear them outside of work. I have a stretchy black tube mask that covers my mouth, eyes and neck that is imprinted with "Make America Great Again," just in case I need enter a business that requires a mask, but I won't wear a mask anywhere unless there is some kind of enforcement. Work is different though, since there is known hazmat. OSHA will not tolerate anything but the correct ppe, even if the cdc recommends a hoaky homemade substitute.

Evmetro
05-09-2020, 10:21 PM
I'm a little surprised, but I guess I'm glad to see that nobody disagrees with me that we are responsible for filtering our own air if we perceive a threat. This board must be loaded with righties.

Kathianne
05-09-2020, 11:23 PM
We are all responsible for ourselves and our choices. You wear what you like, me too. I wear ppe at work and when I’m in public. At home, what I like.

i don’t care what you wear, unless you get too close to me, then I’ll say something. Otherwise to each their own.

Abbey Marie
05-09-2020, 11:42 PM
I went into a Thai restaurant today to pick up a take out order. Sign on the door said you must have a mask to enter. I did. While in there waiting for my order, a man came in with no mask. Apparently, no problem. It’s a joke.

Evmetro
05-10-2020, 12:45 AM
I went into a Thai restaurant today to pick up a take out order. Sign on the door said you must have a mask to enter. I did. While in there waiting for my order, a man came in with no mask. Apparently, no problem. It’s a joke.

I love thai food!

Everybody where I work pitched in for a thai takeout order on Friday. We had a great feast that cost too much, but I'd do it all again. The guy who picked up our food said everyone who worked there had a mask. I kinda like it when restaurant workers wear masks and hair nets, pandemic or not.

SassyLady
05-10-2020, 03:53 AM
We are all responsible for ourselves and our choices. You wear what you like, me too. I wear ppe at work and when I’m in public. At home, what I like.

i don’t care what you wear, unless you get too close to me, then I’ll say something. Otherwise to each their own.

Went to carwash the other day. They have marks on floor where to stand. I have never liked people crowding at check out even before pandemic. Young man walked right up to me, had no mask, and I looked at him and pointed to mark on floor and he politely stepped back and apologized. Before pandemic would probably got dirty look and mouthy response.

Wonder how long the marks on floor will remain. .....