PDA

View Full Version : Africanized Bees heading for New Orleans

Sitarro
09-12-2007, 03:00 PM
Looks like these bees have taken Nagin's Chocolate city comments too seriously......:laugh2::laugh2:

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/tech/2007/sep/12/091200317.html

'Killer Bees' Descend on New Orleans

MERAUX, La. (AP) - Africanized honeybees, a fierce hybrid strain sometimes referred to as "killer bees," appear to have established themselves in the New Orleans area, the state agriculture commissioner said.

A swarm of the bees was captured about five miles from where demolition workers found a colony of Africanized bees in January, commissioner Bob Odom said Tuesday.

The most recent find was close enough to the earlier find that the bees might have come from the same colony. But they might also have flown ashore from a passing ship or barge, Odom said in a news release.

"Although the exact source can't be identified, we have to assume Africanized honeybees are now established in the area and people should be careful when working outside," Odom said.

The Department of Agriculture and Forestry keeps traps along a north-south line through the state and at all deepwater ports to monitor the bees, which are smaller and more aggressive than the European honeybees raised for honey.

"Because Africanized bees have been labeled 'killer bees' for years, there's an idea around that they are bigger than European honeybees," Odom said. "The truth is they're actually smaller but a lot fiercer."

manu1959
09-12-2007, 03:06 PM
they just want to be with their people.............

jimnyc
09-12-2007, 03:09 PM

I know, I know, I'm a racist. But I just laughed my ass off! :laugh2:

JohnDoe
09-12-2007, 03:31 PM
will they be the answer to our honeybee extinction on the way? will they pollinate crops? what about them is killer? just their instinct to attack or is their sting more poisonous in some manner?

we have the little tiny honeybees everywhere up here in late spring, to pollinate the blueberry fields....a guy at the farm up the road buys and brings in about 100,000 of them, just to pollinate his own fields, and i'm certain the other farmers do the same! all crops that need the bees went up in price because the farmer's bee costs were astrinomical this year, cuz of all the honeybees that died mysteriously in their hives this past winter....full bee colonies disappeared.

well, if the killer bees don't really kill, but do pollinate the crops, i'd say....some farmer's prayers were answered....

but, if these killer bees attack us....then it is not worth it and our local and federal gvt needs to nip these killer bees in the bud, NOW!!!!!! Imo

jd

Gaffer
09-12-2007, 04:06 PM
will they be the answer to our honeybee extinction on the way? will they pollinate crops? what about them is killer? just their instinct to attack or is their sting more poisonous in some manner?

we have the little tiny honeybees everywhere up here in late spring, to pollinate the blueberry fields....a guy at the farm up the road buys and brings in about 100,000 of them, just to pollinate his own fields, and i'm certain the other farmers do the same! all crops that need the bees went up in price because the farmer's bee costs were astrinomical this year, cuz of all the honeybees that died mysteriously in their hives this past winter....full bee colonies disappeared.

well, if the killer bees don't really kill, but do pollinate the crops, i'd say....some farmer's prayers were answered....

but, if these killer bees attack us....then it is not worth it and our local and federal gvt needs to nip these killer bees in the bud, NOW!!!!!! Imo

jd

They are dangerous because they will attack en mass. They are not like domestic bees as you can't go near their hive. Their sting is not any worse, its just that more of them come after you. They are more aggressive and easily riled.

They have determined there's some virus that is killing the domestic bees and are working on it. Don't know how they would go about inoculating bees though. It seems to be predominately among the domesticated ones being moved around from farm to farm.

manu1959
09-12-2007, 04:10 PM
They are dangerous because they will attack en mass. They are not like domestic bees as you can't go near their hive. Their sting is not any worse, its just that more of them come after you. They are more aggressive and easily riled.

They have determined there's some virus that is killing the domestic bees and are working on it. Don't know how they would go about inoculating bees though. It seems to be predominately among the domesticated ones being moved around from farm to farm.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070906/sc_nm/bees_virus_dc_1;_ylt=AhrnoB62SaPMtEzZ0BKotQcE1vAI

Beekeepers do not find bees dead -- they simply find the hives nearly empty, with the queens alone and workers gone.

this is exactly why hillary should not be elected....

JohnDoe
09-12-2007, 04:14 PM

good info to know!

thanks gaffer!

so new orleans is the first entry in to the usa, coming from south america or coming from africa?

i guess i am trying to figure out how long it will take them to get to northeastern, coastal maine? :eek:

manu1959
09-12-2007, 04:24 PM
good info to know!

thanks gaffer!

so new orleans is the first entry in to the usa, coming from south america or coming from africa?

i guess i am trying to figure out how long it will take them to get to northeastern, coastal maine? :eek:

the Killer bees have been in the US a for years in texas and new mexico and arizona......some farmer was killed a while back.........came from mexico.....don't worry they are pollinating flowers american bees won't pollinate

Mr. P
09-12-2007, 04:27 PM
good info to know!

thanks gaffer!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africanized_bee

Gaffer
09-12-2007, 04:35 PM
good info to know!

thanks gaffer!

As Manu said they are already in Texas, AZ and NM. They are also a threat because they kill off domestic hives when they move into an area. They don't like competition. They don't adapt to cold very well so its likely you won't see them too far north.

JohnDoe
09-12-2007, 04:39 PM
the Killer bees have been in the US a for years in texas and new mexico and arizona......some farmer was killed a while back.........came from mexico.....don't worry they are pollinating flowers american bees won't pollinate killed? was he allergic to them? or he was swarmed, had so many bites, nothing could save him? my sister is in florida, not far from new orleans really, and she is allergic to bees, carries a needle/shot with her at all times.... i am really more concerned for her.... :(

this reminds me of a twilite zone or some movie i saw as a kid a very long time ago, with swarming killer bees or something like this...it feels like dejavue? hahaha!

oh shoot! i think the movie was killer ants and i am all messed up! ooops, sorry for the sidebar! :)

jd

darin
09-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Nobody blaming George Bush yet? That's odd.

manu1959
09-12-2007, 04:41 PM

goes without saying.....NAFTA.....

darin
09-12-2007, 04:42 PM
North American Free Killer Bees Agreement, you mean?

Gaffer
09-12-2007, 04:56 PM
killed? was he allergic to them? or he was swarmed, had so many bites, nothing could save him? my sister is in florida, not far from new orleans really, and she is allergic to bees, carries a needle/shot with her at all times.... i am really more concerned for her.... :(

this reminds me of a twilite zone or some movie i saw as a kid a very long time ago, with swarming killer bees or something like this...it feels like dejavue? hahaha!

oh shoot! i think the movie was killer ants and i am all messed up! ooops, sorry for the sidebar! :)

jd

They swarm. Death is usually from multiple stings. allergies can play a big part too, but the big danger is getting hundreds of stings. There was a movie back in the 80's called the killer bees. A TV movie. Poorly made and inaccurate as usual. You can probably catch it on the scifi channel during one of their insect movie weekends.

JohnDoe
09-12-2007, 04:59 PM

Why would it be odd? I am the only Liberal on the thread, and I reserve my "blaiming bush points" for only the most critical of issues! :laugh2:

:D

Mr. P
09-12-2007, 04:59 PM
I saw a demonstration of the African bee aggression vs the European bee.

This beekeeper intentionally disturbed the hive of the European bees first.
When they attacked he walked away with one of those distance measuring devices with a wheel on the ground. He went 50 feet as I recall before the bees ceased their attack.
Then he did the same with the African bees..he walked 300 feet before they stopped their attack.

JohnDoe
09-12-2007, 05:06 PM
They swarm. Death is usually from multiple stings. allergies can play a big part too, but the big danger is getting hundreds of stings. There was a movie back in the 80's called the killer bees. A TV movie. Poorly made and inaccurate as usual. You can probably catch it on the scifi channel during one of their insect movie weekends.Ya know, I think I have seen it along with the killer ant one portrayed in Africa somewhere....now that you mention it! I knew there was a reason for that dejavue feeling!!! Shoulddah stuck with my initial female instinct on that!!!! lol

thanks for the nice, non political conversation gentlemen!

jd

Trigg
09-13-2007, 05:59 PM

When they attacked he walked away with one of those distance measuring devices with a wheel on the ground. He went 50 feet as I recall before the bees ceased their attack.
Then he did the same with the African bees..he walked 300 feet before they stopped their attack.

Haven't they been talking about the "killer bees" moving north for at least a decade now??

Dilloduck
09-13-2007, 06:31 PM
Haven't they been talking about the "killer bees" moving north for at least a decade now??

Yup----but the story about em showing up in NO has a certain irony to it.
Reps to Sit and Manu !:clap:

Gunny
09-13-2007, 07:24 PM

peeps dude, they want to be with their peeps .....

manu1959
09-13-2007, 07:38 PM
killed? was he allergic to them? or he was swarmed, had so many bites, nothing could save him? my sister is in florida, not far from new orleans really, and she is allergic to bees, carries a needle/shot with her at all times.... i am really more concerned for her.... :(

jd

he was in his 40's...not allergic...over three hundred stings.....

you can find it with google....killer bee death or something like that

Sitarro
09-13-2007, 08:22 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070906/sc_nm/bees_virus_dc_1;_ylt=AhrnoB62SaPMtEzZ0BKotQcE1vAI

Beekeepers do not find bees dead -- they simply find the hives nearly empty, with the queens alone and workers gone.

this is exactly why hillary should not be elected....

Ya know, that sounds a lot like the woman leaving playas that populated New Orleans and most every other urban area in America...... except, of course, the worker part.....:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

gabosaurus
09-13-2007, 09:09 PM
Shouldn't this be classified as a Conspiracy Theory? Obviously, the bees are conspiring to attack the American people.

manu1959
09-13-2007, 09:13 PM
Shouldn't this be classified as a Conspiracy Theory? Obviously, the bees are conspiring to attack the American people.

these african bees from mexico seem to only attack white farmers.......hmmmmm

Dilloduck
09-13-2007, 09:15 PM
these african bees from mexico seem to only attack white farmers.......hmmmmm

are they I E Bees ?

dan
09-14-2007, 06:02 AM

I had a roommate once who summed it up nicely: "You can take the African out the jungle, but you can't take the jungle out the African.":D

Actually, he used a different word than 'African.' And he was a big retarded loser. God, I'm glad he failed out his first semester.