PDA

View Full Version : NY football

jackass
01-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Well yesterday started out as a great day for NY football fans. Ended in a very bad day for them. Neither team advanced to the next round. I personally was hoping the Giants didnt even make it. I was hoping that a failure to get to the playoffs would definately open the door for Tom Coughlin to leave. Now im not so sure.
Before anyone says its not all his fault, I agree, but he was brought in to be a disciplinarian. That has not happened. Under his regime, the Giants have had one of the most penalised teams in all of the NFL. His players have not responded to his actions.
I do give Coughlin all the credit in the world when it comes to Tiki Barber. He helped Tiki become one of the best backs in the NFL. He cured Tiki of his fumbleitis. Too bad Tiki is leaving after such a dissappointing seaon. :(

Insein
01-08-2007, 12:44 PM
Giants put up a better fight then i thought they would. I figured too many distractions would make it a much easier win for the Eagles but they played hard. Too bad their QB and coaching staff cost them in the end.

I think if your a Giants fan, you have to hope that ownership decides to clean house. Get rid of all the coaches and see where they want to go.

jackass
01-08-2007, 05:04 PM
Thats wxactly what I am hoping for. I think we have a really good team. Unfortunately there were some major injuries. 5 starting players on IR?? Damn. I know we were interested in bringing over Scott Pioli from the Patriots as our new GM, but as I understand it he refused to talk to us :(
I was hoping that in bringing him over there would be some validity to the Charlie Weiss rumors as our new coach. Doesnt look good.

dirt mcgirt
01-09-2007, 02:58 PM
Brandon Jacobs is a stud. He's like a young Jerome Bettis. A steady dose of him with Eli Manning airing it out to Plaxico is going to give defenses fits for the next few years. But Coughlin has to go. So does Shockey. Bill Cowher would be the perfect fit in NY. Give him 7 to 8 million a year. He'd inherit a power running game, a good quarterback, and he'd be reuniting with Burress. What's not to like? He'd make the defense play up to their talent and beyond. Cowher seems like the ideal coach to replace Coughlin.

Insein
01-09-2007, 03:09 PM
Cowher's taking at least a year off. Hes that kind of guy. He's not going to opt out of his current contract with the Rooney's then jump ship to another team the following season. Maybe in 2 years but not this year. Plus i think his family had a big part in this decision. I'm sure his wife doesnt want to hear that he's moving to New Jersey when they just bought a house in North Carolina.

So i wouldnt put much faith in that rumor.

jackass
01-09-2007, 03:52 PM
Brandon Jacobs is a stud. He's like a young Jerome Bettis. A steady dose of him with Eli Manning airing it out to Plaxico is going to give defenses fits for the next few years. But Coughlin has to go. So does Shockey. Bill Cowher would be the perfect fit in NY. Give him 7 to 8 million a year. He'd inherit a power running game, a good quarterback, and he'd be reuniting with Burress. What's not to like? He'd make the defense play up to their talent and beyond. Cowher seems like the ideal coach to replace Coughlin.
How can you POSSIBLY say Shockey has to go??? He IS the lightning rod of the offense. The Michael Strahan of the offense. THAT man is a stud!! You would be very hard pressed to find a more dedicated, tougher guy than he. He plays through injuries, just as they used to when men were men, not millionaire pussies like they are now.
As for Cowher, I dont want to see him in NJ. I would much rather see Charlie Weiss. Without getting Jim too mad, Cowher hasnt exactly been a quarterback guru. (Can anyone say Kurdell Stewart??)

dirt mcgirt
01-09-2007, 11:56 PM
Cowher's taking at least a year off. Hes that kind of guy. He's not going to opt out of his current contract with the Rooney's then jump ship to another team the following season. Maybe in 2 years but not this year. Plus i think his family had a big part in this decision. I'm sure his wife doesnt want to hear that he's moving to New Jersey when they just bought a house in North Carolina.

So i wouldnt put much faith in that rumor.
It's not even a rumor. You're probably right about him taking a year off to recharge the batteries, I'm thinking that too. But Cowher would definitely be a great coaching fit in NY given their current personnel.

How can you POSSIBLY say Shockey has to go??? He IS the lightning rod of the offense. The Michael Strahan of the offense. THAT man is a stud!! You would be very hard pressed to find a more dedicated, tougher guy than he. He plays through injuries, just as they used to when men were men, not millionaire pussies like they are now.
As for Cowher, I dont want to see him in NJ. I would much rather see Charlie Weiss. Without getting Jim too mad, Cowher hasnt exactly been a quarterback guru. (Can anyone say Kurdell Stewart??)
Cowher's pretty conservative when he's got the power running game going. But he can call a passing game as well. Tommy Maddox was airing the shit out of the ball with Cowher's blessing that year he took over. Big Ben had some pretty decent games this year too in the air. There's no doubt he'd work Jacobs and have Eli play conservative if he went to NY, but he'd get the most out of his players- something Coughlin can't do.

Shockey is a disruption. He's feuded with just about every coach that's been there. He plays hurt? His injuries hurt the team. Plus he's inconsistent. He dropped just as many easy passes and key plays as he made hard catches and big plays. I'm not saying he's a shitty tight end but he's overrated and there are about 5 tight ends I'd take right now over him (Gates, Gonzalez, Heap, Witten, and Cooley.)

jimnyc
01-10-2007, 06:12 AM
Bill Cowher would be the perfect fit in NY. Give him 7 to 8 million a year. He'd inherit a power running game, a good quarterback, and he'd be reuniting with Burress. What's not to like? He'd make the defense play up to their talent and beyond. Cowher seems like the ideal coach to replace Coughlin.

Blasphemy! I never want to see him roaming the sidelines with the big blue! Although, I do agree that he would be a good fit and get better production than Coughlin.

Cowher, and a QB coach as well. Admittedly, he's a defensive minded coach, being a former linebacker himself. Keep in mind, he did just coach a team to a SB win, and their QB was pretty damn good.

Please don't bring up Kordell again, I've been training my brain to forget he ever existed.

jackass
01-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Please don't bring up Kordell again, I've been training my brain to forget he ever existed.

You had me laughing out loud at that!! :lol:

jackass
01-10-2007, 03:46 PM
There's no doubt he'd work Jacobs and have Eli play conservative if he went to NY, but he'd get the most out of his players- something Coughlin can't do.
Shockey is a disruption. He's feuded with just about every coach that's been there. He plays hurt? His injuries hurt the team. Plus he's inconsistent. He dropped just as many easy passes and key plays as he made hard catches and big plays. I'm not saying he's a shitty tight end but he's overrated and there are about 5 tight ends I'd take right now over him (Gates, Gonzalez, Heap, Witten, and Cooley.)

I do think Cowher would get better production out of the players. I dont think Coughlin got much of them at all.
I am not trying to say that Shockey is the best TE in the league, but he is the lighting rod of their offense. His easy drops have been a major bummer in years past, but I think he has really improved in that area this year.

5stringJeff
01-11-2007, 11:16 AM
How about that football team that actually plays football in New York... the Buffalo Bills!! :D

(I don't care about them... but I heard a Buffalo fan make that point once)

jackass
01-11-2007, 04:31 PM
How about that football team that actually plays football in New York... the Buffalo Bills!! :D

Being from NJ and staying in NJ to go to Giants & Jets games...I agree 100%

jimnyc
01-11-2007, 05:14 PM
Always wondered that myself. Why haven't they changed their names? I guess they struck a deal with the meadowlands, and it included keeping naming rights? Just kind of weird to hear all this NY crap when they play in NJ. For that fact, tell them cheap bastards to both get their own stadiums!

darin
01-11-2007, 05:21 PM
We'll send you Jerramy Stevens - you send us Shockey. :D

dirt mcgirt
01-12-2007, 12:14 AM
We'll send you Jerramy Stevens - you send us Shockey. :D
Stevens is one of those guys you love one minute but then hate the next. I get too fucking emotional watching that guy.

Insein
01-12-2007, 01:35 AM
Anyone hear that Shockey told Sheldon Brown during the game Sunday that he'd love to play in Philly?

Shockey is one of those guys that you hate for any other team but love for your own. With that said, it'd never EVER happen.

jackass
01-13-2007, 05:02 PM
Yeah..I did hear that. Shockey then said he never said it. He said the only thing he likes better than winning is beating the Eagles. He said he wants to retire as a Giant...and I believe him. As a die hard fan, I know he was very close to Mara.